doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: James M OT A New Colt 1903 Pocket Model - 03/12/15 06:27 PM

I know this isn't a shotgun but I suspect many on the forum would be interested in this news. Apparently Colt DIDN'T take a page out of Remington's book and re-design this pistol as Remington did with the Model 51. That turned out to be a disaster and Remington has re-called them. However; The projected list price of $1395 for the basic model 1903 will give many pause.
Jim

http://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/new-colt-1903-hammerless-shot-show/
Posted By: gunut Re: OT A New Colt 1903 Pocket Model - 03/12/15 08:00 PM
1400 for a 400 dollar gun....
Posted By: James M Re: OT A New Colt 1903 Pocket Model - 03/12/15 09:28 PM
You can still find decent originals in shooter condition in the $400 - $600 range at most shows and choice collectible examples in the $1,000 range. It will be interesting to see how well these sell and perhaps that's why Colt is having the 1st batch made by another manufacturer rather then re-tooling themselves.
Jim
Posted By: L. Brown Re: OT A New Colt 1903 Pocket Model - 03/12/15 09:42 PM
The .32 isn't a particularly potent round. That being said, the 03 I owned was a very nice-shooting handgun. Because they're so flat and relatively thin, they're also nice to carry.
Posted By: dubbletrubble Re: OT A New Colt 1903 Pocket Model - 03/13/15 01:20 AM
My favorite carry / shooter. I have the 1908 in .380 as well. Yes I take some ribbing for carrying a .32 but so far nobody has volunteered to stand in front of it....I was disappointed to hear Colt was re-issuing the 03 and that it was not going to be made by them in the USA.
Posted By: Dave K Re: OT A New Colt 1903 Pocket Model - 03/13/15 01:33 PM
Colt is making some nice guns, not many of the ones that sell thou !
Saa's have crawled to a trickle-and the selling price has climbed to 16-1800 for new Saa 4 3/4 45LC.The new for 2015 Model 70 Gold Cup hit the distributors and sold out in days,be the they will be "on allocation" next.
Colt is owned by a holding company and recently had trouble making bond payments-bailed out buy MS I think
Look at the difference in the way Colt has been run and RGR,the new CEO Fifer is has been great for the stock and the business.
Posted By: Pete Re: OT A New Colt 1903 Pocket Model - 03/13/15 06:25 PM
Colt only makes two guns: the AR-15 and the 1911. They are now the 25th American gun manufacturer in size. Their other guns are all made by someone else.

By the way, all third generation SAA Colts were made by Uberti. Colt just finished and assembled the parts so they didn't have to stamp Uberti on anything. The only difference was that the Ubertis were finished better.

Let's hope that someone will buy Colt and bring back this company to the quality the name demands.
Posted By: eightbore Re: OT A New Colt 1903 Pocket Model - 03/13/15 07:13 PM
Who is making the 1903. I don't want to watch the video again.
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: OT A New Colt 1903 Pocket Model - 03/13/15 08:06 PM
Originally Posted By: eightbore
Who is making the 1903. I don't want to watch the video again.

U. S. Armament Corp. according to the article...Geo
Posted By: eightbore Re: OT A New Colt 1903 Pocket Model - 03/13/15 09:36 PM
Thanks for the information. I googled them and I found "website under construction". My granddaughter can construct a website in a day and a half. And they're building 1903s and Gatling guns? I'm sure the quality is quite high. I just saw a 1911 Ace that was made for Colt by Walther. What in hell is going on here?
Posted By: Dave K Re: OT A New Colt 1903 Pocket Model - 03/13/15 10:29 PM
Originally Posted By: Pete
Colt only makes two guns: the AR-15 and the 1911. They are now the 25th American gun manufacturer in size. Their other guns are all made by someone else.

By the way, all third generation SAA Colts were made by Uberti. Colt just finished and assembled the parts so they didn't have to stamp Uberti on anything. The only difference was that the Ubertis were finished better.

Let's hope that someone will buy Colt and bring back this company to the quality the name demands.

Pete can you show some proof of that ?
The 3rd Generation Saa's coming out now (most come off the regular production line-about 200 per month,unless special order that goes through custom shop)are some of the best they have made in years. Even the picky Colt collectors agree.They are NOT Uberti's by any means !
Posted By: eightbore Re: OT A New Colt 1903 Pocket Model - 03/13/15 10:43 PM
OK, your point is well taken, but what about Walther 1911s and Pennsylvania Gatling Guns and 1903s?
Posted By: PA24 Re: OT A New Colt 1903 Pocket Model - 03/14/15 12:21 AM

Originally Posted By: Pete

Pete, I'm not sure where you get your information, but there are other Colts that are made in the U.S.A. such as the Colt Mustang Pocketlite Stainless............I know because I talked to the factory before buying it.

Same as Dave K I would like to see your proof on this statement, thank you.

Regards,
Posted By: wallis vernon Re: OT A New Colt 1903 Pocket Model - 03/14/15 02:50 AM
http://www.colt.com/Default.aspx

I believe the above is the web site for Colt. And with all due respect the old saw about 3rd Gen Colts being made by Uberti is not true... Now the earlier US Firearms (SAA Clones) were made by Uberti and finished in the US, that could be the confusion. Colt is still making guns... BTW, there is a very good Colt Forum if you have any questions about their current status.
Posted By: Dave K Re: OT A New Colt 1903 Pocket Model - 03/14/15 01:13 PM
I have seen no proof of 3rd Generation Colt Saa's-from Colt being made by Uberti,sorry but thats wrong info.And the fit and finish on the ones I have seen is excellent-they just don't put many out.There was some issues on "some" the later 80's ones when they had union troubles but not now.
Perhaps Pete is confusing the Colt Black Powder Guns (Black Box-and later Grey box) which did have parts brought in by Val Forgett-Aldo Uberti in the early years then Lou Imperato.
Or as posted above the early US Firearms ones,not the later ones.

Posted By: eightbore Re: OT A New Colt 1903 Pocket Model - 03/14/15 05:35 PM
What do we know about the Walther made Ace?
Posted By: James M Re: OT A New Colt 1903 Pocket Model - 03/14/15 08:08 PM
Originally Posted By: Dave K
I have seen no proof of 3rd Generation Colt Saa's-from Colt being made by Uberti,sorry but thats wrong info.And the fit and finish on the ones I have seen is excellent-they just don't put many out.There was some issues on "some" the later 80's ones when they had union troubles but not now.
Perhaps Pete is confusing the Colt Black Powder Guns (Black Box-and later Grey box) which did have parts brought in by Val Forgett-Aldo Uberti in the early years then Lou Imperato.
Or as posted above the early US Firearms ones,not the later ones.

I have to concur with Daves observations above. I own a few Uberti SAAs and there is no parts interchangability between the two firms products that I'm aware of. Uberti certainly did make the run of Black powder(percussion) guns for Colt.
Jim
Posted By: MilRob Re: OT A New Colt 1903 Pocket Model - 03/15/15 02:40 PM
I didn't know there was that much of a market for the 1903s. My grandpa gave me a 1903 .32 in the original box with paperwork. Kind of a neat gun but I don't know if I would buy a new one.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com