doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: John Can. From Purdeys? - 03/12/15 11:48 PM
On the SxS rib is "C. Gilbert from Purdeys", I would guess the Gilbert was a employee of Purdeys at one time.

Any further info. on this man would be appreciated. --- John
Posted By: Rocketman Re: From Purdeys? - 03/13/15 12:47 AM
You would be right on his "pedigree," but I am not familiar with him.

DDA
Posted By: trw999 Re: From Purdeys? - 03/13/15 09:36 AM
IGC and Brown lists a C Gilbert, gun and rifle maker, of 33 Whittall St, Birmingham 1864-67.

The 'from Purdey's' moniker was used by several ex-Purdey craftsmen, including Frederick Beesley, William Evans and Henry Atkin. James Purdey didn't like it much. However, it was the truth and there is nothing illegal about stating that.

Given that the C Gilbert above was in Birmingham, I suspect it unlikely to be your man, since it was usual to apprentice and then practice in one city only. I also suspect that your C Gilbert is from the 1880s, since that was when the 'from Purdey's' became fashionable.

Tim
Posted By: John Can. Re: From Purdeys? - 03/13/15 12:54 PM
I'll try and get some pics. but could be a month or so.
In the meantime - thank you for the info. --- John
Posted By: gunman Re: From Purdeys? - 03/13/15 07:03 PM
From or "Late of" or in my case frequently late at, much to the annoyance of my old foreman, could mean any thing . The fact that a person worked for Purdey , Holland's or elseware does not mean they were actually craftsmen . They could have worked in the front shop as did I understand William Evans or even been a cleaner or night watchman for that matter . They still worked there at one time so their claims are in fact true if maybe misleading.
Posted By: Watson 16 Re: From Purdeys? - 04/14/15 07:51 PM
In an earlier age "From Manton" was commonplace. Confusing practice if you ask me.
Posted By: JohnfromUK Re: From Purdeys? - 04/15/15 04:34 PM
I did read that Purdey advertised himself as 'from Manton's', but was less impressed when others used 'from Purdey's'.

My guess is that Manton's was effectively dissolved and stock sold off etc (by Joseph Langs) in 1826, so there was no risk of conflict. I'm not sure when 'from Manton' was first used? Does anyone know?

Later businesses using the name and goodwill of the Mantons were rather tenuously connected and didn't live up to Joseph or John Manton's quality or inventiveness .... whereas Purdey's has been a consistent business throughout their life - producing (for the most part anyway) all high end guns.
Posted By: Lorne Re: From Purdeys? - 04/15/15 05:58 PM
Joseph Manton went bankrupt (in 1826 I believe), but was able to reorganize and get back in business until his death in 1839. The Joseph Manton business was taken over by Joseph Egg, and operated under Egg's name for a couple of generations and name iterations.

John and Joseph Manton did start a business in India, which has been much discussed on another thread.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com