doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Greg Tag Is this LC Smith worth $1000 - 04/07/07 10:58 PM
Friends:

Here is an inmteresting gun.

http://www.auctionarms.com/search/displayitem.cfm?itemnum=7940235

Perhaps the seller just isnt into doubles enough, as he sort of suggests the metal and wood might be refinished.

My take is the wood had a Tru-Oil redo, the action has been torched ( see how the colors cross the line from frame to lock plate) and the barrels look bright and shiny and hot salt tank reblued. And the trigger guard. I also noted that in no picture can you see the position of the top lever.

sigh.

My middle brother has been looking for a nice double, and asked me to comment on this one. My response was to laugh out loud and then tell him to look elsewhere.

Why do people do this? Is the level of ignorance out there such that folks can really move such abused iron?

Thoughts?

Regards

GKT
Posted By: builder Re: Is this LC Smith worth $1000 - 04/07/07 11:10 PM
Sure is shiny!
Posted By: Researcher Re: Is this LC Smith worth $1000 - 04/07/07 11:38 PM
As P. T. Barnum said .....
Posted By: David Williamson Re: Is this LC Smith worth $1000 - 04/07/07 11:56 PM
It's a 1924 Featherweight that's been refinished. Doesn't have the Hunter Arms logo and NP for Nitro Proofing on the barrels water table.(started in the 20's) If you look at the next to last picture at the forend, the inside looks like the old varnish is alligatored.
I think $1,000 is a little high. If still interested I would ask the seller to measure the stock from the first trigger straight back to the end of the wood and see if it is around 13 5/8"-13 7/8" and that it hasn't been cut down. Then take off that ugly Pachmayr White Line recoil pad and put a replacement plastic buttplate on it.
If your brother is still interested at auction end, doubt if it will sell, call the seller and ask for a discount on the dent and the refinish job (bad on the metal)
30" barrels would make it nice and 32" would make it even nicer.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com