doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Tom C Reloading costs vs factory loads - 04/28/15 01:32 AM
For those of you that reload, can you give me an idea of what it costs to reload 1 ounce 12 gauge shells vs. purchasing factory loads. I had been buying Gun Club loads and now are purchasing flats of RST loads but I am considering reloading again. I was at the gun club for a few rounds of clays yesterday and a couple guys mentioned that finding components for reloading is getting difficult and expensive, at least in the Wisconsin area. What do you feel you save by reloading? Thanks.
Posted By: KY Jon Re: Reloading costs vs factory loads - 04/28/15 01:54 AM
Savings in reloading shells is not what it use to be. There are plug in apps. that will give you to the penny cost based on cost of each inputs to make a shell. Search the Trapshooters.com version and play with the numbers. For those of us still living in the past and using components purchased years ago we still save a bundle. I am using $11.00 shot not the 40 dollar stuff you have to buy today. My primers are 15 not 40. Powder is running out so instead of 12-15 dollars a pound it now bumps 20-25 per pound. My current cost is $3.84 per box of 12's less for the smaller shells. But if I had to buy new stuff it goes up to $5.49 a box. Still a lot cheaper than factory but not the sub three dollars stuff I loaded for decades.

I reload to get pressure down to desired level or for a specific shot size and payload combo or even to get velocity that I need for a gun to be fun to shoot. Any cost savings are soon eaten up in increased shooting. Unless you have a major supplier or a club that can supply what you need at reasonable cost reloading is just a labor of love these days. But if you save ten percent you could always increase you shooting level to get rid of the extra savings.
Posted By: Jolly Bill Re: Reloading costs vs factory loads - 04/28/15 02:38 AM
Tom,

As KY Jon pointed out, the cost of reloading shot shells is not what it used to be. I believe it's still cheaper than buying factory loads tho.

For me, and I suspect other shooters of older side by side doubles, I like to load my own because the light loads I shoot are not available commercially.

I shoot a 108 year old early A grade 12 gauge Fox, a gun that I've owned for 46 years. I shoot sporting clays and skeet, mostly for fun with not much consideration for high scores. The heaviest load I shoot is 3/4 ounce 12 gauge. For in close targets, I shoot 0.5 ounce or 0.6 ounce 12 gauge loads.

Alliant recently came out with their Extra Light shot shell powder that is intended for light 12 gauge loads. I have had my 0.5 and 0.6 ounce 12 gauge loads tested are they produce under 6000 psi pressure and the speed is around 1300 fps. For in close shooting, if I hit the target, they break. Not many so called "diesel smoke" hits but hits are hits. They sound great, burn clean and my 0.5 ounce loads using about 14 grains of Extra Light powder will yield 500 rounds per pound of powder. Other components are pretty much standard stuff.

Right now, looking to replenish my supply of Extra Light powder which seems to be on the scarce side for the time being.

And I enjoy reloading.

Hope this helps.

Jolly
Posted By: Joe Wood Re: Reloading costs vs factory loads - 04/28/15 02:38 AM
Tom, as Ky John says, reloading isn't as cheap as it was a few years ago but still edges out almost anything you buy off the shelf. Most of my gums are vintage and require special care so reloading is a huge saver when comparing to ammunition such as RST's. The other day I figured some of my 7/8 oz 16's and came up with a box pennies short of $6.00. That's with pressures in the low 7,000 psi range and running about 1175 fps. And to top it off, it's so darned much fun to run off a few hundred.
Posted By: FlyChamps Re: Reloading costs vs factory loads - 04/28/15 03:17 AM
At my current cost of components through my club with free hulls picked up at the club I can load 12 gauge low pressure for $4.23 per box. Small bore are even less because they use less powder and shot. My equipment was paid for long ago as I've been reloading rifle, pistol and shotgun for 42 years. RST is now about $11-$15 per box. I like RST ammo but my reloads cost much less.

I've also enjoyed reloading as a hobby for 42 years and reload for 12, 16, 20, 24, 28 gauges and .410 bore plus 14 metallic cartridges. My wife also shoots shotguns so someone has to keep us in cartridges and I reckon that it will continue to be me.

There's still money to be saved, even on 12 and 20 gauges, especially if you already have the equipment. But if you don't enjoy reloading then buy factory and stop grousing about the cost. In the meantime I'll be in my basement chucking 6 - 8,000 a year out on my Sizemasters - plus several thousand rifle and pistol rounds a year and, yes, I cast my own pistol and 45-70 bullets.
Posted By: Tom C Re: Reloading costs vs factory loads - 04/28/15 11:50 AM
Retirement is quickly approaching so I will have more time 12 months from now. I brushed off and lubed my 30 yr. old Sizemaster and I may start to test some reloads and see how they compare to RST factories. Thanks for the info guys.
Posted By: GF1 Re: Reloading costs vs factory loads - 04/28/15 12:00 PM
My big motive for reloading is having a constant supply of the load I prefer - a 7/8 oz charge of hard #7 1/2. These are excellent for breaking clays even at long distances, and easy on my decrepit neck. I'm similarly keen on a 3/4 oz charge in the 20 gauge. Price is my motive in loading 28 and .410.
My reloading costs not counting reloader (Mec Grabber) are as you can see.
Cost of loading one shell (free hulls)
Loads consist of:
¾ oz. shot at @ $.070
Claybuster wad @ $.017
Red Dot-16.8 grs @ $.042
Win. 209 primer @ $.028
Total $.16 a shell x 25 = $3.93 a box.

The Red Dot powder listed in the cost was from a 1 lb. container when I first tried this load, I have since switched to TiteWad but have not figured out price. The 4 lb. jug was $56.99 when I bought it in 2013. I just finished with that and stated on a 8 lb. jug but have not figured out a price yet.

The price now would be a little more, but I don't think it would be over $4.00 a box.
Posted By: Ithaca5E Re: Reloading costs vs factory loads - 04/28/15 01:26 PM
My 12 ga. 1 oz. reloads are $4.20/box, this using $38 shot and Promo powder. My 7/8 oz. 20 ga. reloads with Unique are about $3.50 (that one surprised me).

I have always figured there's about a $2.00 savings per box, if that's important. But, hey, I enjoy reloading and it gives me the latitude to soften the loads a bit from the factory stuff.
Posted By: Mark II Re: Reloading costs vs factory loads - 04/28/15 01:56 PM
I reload because I can't buy the loads I like to shoot. Any savings is frosting on the cake.
Posted By: Chantry Re: Reloading costs vs factory loads - 04/28/15 05:11 PM
If I were shooting guns capable of handling a steady diet of whatever is cheapest at Walmart or online, I'd do that in a heartbeat. I don't like reloading very much and the amount saved per box wouldn't make enough of a different for the volume of shooting I do.

However I'm shooting 100+ year old damascus guns with blackpowder, so I load my own, an hour will usually get me about 50-75 shells loaded.

Cost: 16g and light 10g loads about $13.25 per 25; 10g heavy loads (out of a modern double) about 25.50 per 50
Posted By: L. Brown Re: Reloading costs vs factory loads - 04/28/15 05:34 PM
Lots of good comments here. Ways to save a few $ when you reload:

1. You'll sometimes find reclaimed shot available, typically $30-35 per bag. A lot comes from trap ranges, so there will be a lot of 7 1/2's. I don't use it too often in loads any lighter than 7/8 oz. I've also found that it can stick in the drop tube of my 20ga reloader, so I mostly use it for 12's.

2. Buy cheaper primers and wads. Cheddites vs Win or Rem; Claybuster wads. Reloading websites are carrying more recipes for Cheddites these days, although in most cases, ballistics seem to be pretty close to Win primers.

3. Be a hull scrounger. You won't find many guys tossing once fired AA's or STS. But Rem Gun Clubs (both 12 and 20) reload about as well as STS, and I'll often find them scattered around when I'm shooting targets.

And your biggest savings:
4. Shoot lighter loads. 3/4 in both 20 and 12 are much easier now with readily available wads and recipes.
Posted By: Model2128Ga Re: Reloading costs vs factory loads - 04/28/15 05:40 PM
Originally Posted By: Chantry
If I were shooting guns capable of handling a steady diet of whatever is cheapest at Walmart or online, I'd do that in a heartbeat. I don't like reloading very much and the amount saved per box wouldn't make enough of a different for the volume of shooting I do.

However I'm shooting 100+ year old damascus guns with blackpowder, so I load my own, an hour will usually get me about 50-75 shells loaded.

Cost: 16g about $13.25 per 25; 10g about 25.50 per 50

Chantry,

I don't shoot much either, but love hunting wild turkey and some pheasant hunting with my damascus Remington 1894 SxS, Remington 1893 single barrel, 28 gauge and Syracuse A grade 12 Ga damascus. Also, not interested at all in reloading since RST offers all the shells I will ever need at today's reasonable cost. Check them out at....

http://www.rstshells.com/

Model2128Ga
Posted By: Wonko the Sane Re: Reloading costs vs factory loads - 04/28/15 06:20 PM
Just a couple caveats

Reclaimed shot can effect a large savings if you don't mind the possibility of rocks and steel in your barrel. I used to use well cleaned reclaim and plastic wad always and STILL scratched a couple barrels. You chose.

Powder is currently in way short supply, limited in quantities and types and outrageously priced IMO. Good luck finding what you really want.

And none of the price calculators have those spots to add in the time/expense it takes to chase components down. That $0.50/box savings disappears in a heartbeat.

I use claybuster wads for years and they are as good as any IMO and usually eh best price. Fiocchi primers the same.

but when what I have is gone I'm thinking that may be it for the loader. Way too much trouble to save a couple cents/cart. My time may not be worth much anymore but I got better things to do for a fraction of a penny/hr..

good luck

have another Day
Dr.WtS
Posted By: Chantry Re: Reloading costs vs factory loads - 04/28/15 06:54 PM
Originally Posted By: Model2128Ga
Originally Posted By: Chantry

Cost: 16g about $13.25 per 25; 10g about 25.50 per 50

Chantry,

I don't shoot much either, but love hunting wild turkey and some pheasant hunting with my damascus Remington 1894 SxS, Remington 1893 single barrel, 28 gauge and Syracuse A grade 12 Ga damascus. Also, not interested at all in reloading since RST offers all the shells I will ever need at today's reasonable cost. Check them out at....

http://www.rstshells.com/

Model2128Ga

I don't hunt, my shotguns are mostly used for cowboy shooting in the BP categories and occasionally some skeet or trap for fun.
Posted By: tw Re: Reloading costs vs factory loads - 04/28/15 08:38 PM
FWIW, Just ran the numbers on my present generic 1200 fps 1oz. 12ga. target loads. NOT 'low' pressure. $3.60/box

That's using clean re-claimed shot, Alliant Promo powder, Clay Buster wads & Winchester 209 primers at what I have to pay for those components, when available, today. Changing to any other powder causes a small price escalation.

If I use new West Coast Magnum lead shot, my cost goes up to $4.41/box

If you load 7/8oz. loads [adequate for most clay target purposes] cost naturally goes down some as it does if you can take advantage of a sale on wads or use less expensive primers.

As a side note, reclaimed shot has larger interstices between the pellets than new. For me to get an honest 1 once/28 grams of reclaimed shot from my MEC charge bars, I have to use the 9/8oz./32 gram bar. All I am saying is that reclaimed shot bulks up more for the same weight in new shot and the amount of antimony used in the shot & its size also affect what you may get as a final thrown weight. Another factor can be the shot's source. You need to weigh it to find out exactly what your equipment is doing with a given type of shot.

In the end, the choice to reload or not gets down to personal time, money and expectation issues. I find it enjoyable, most of the time. .410's can sometimes be a good deal more challenging to load than any of the larger shotgun cartridges. Biggest savings is clearly with the small bores.

I've loaded non-toxic rounds for waterfowl and still hunt those birds a lot during most seasons, but I've found it more expedient for my needs to just buy new as even with multiple days afield the numbers of rounds consumed isn't great & I'm not confronted w/having to explain to a Game Warden why I have no-tox rounds in hulls that were originally loaded w/lead .. spent hulls in particular, could become problematic.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Reloading costs vs factory loads - 04/29/15 12:48 AM
Originally Posted By: KY Jon
My current cost is $3.84 per box of 12's less for the smaller shells. But if I had to buy new stuff it goes up to $5.49 a box. Still a lot cheaper than factory but not the sub three dollars stuff I loaded for decades.

Not cheaper at all.

http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/rio-game-load-12-gauge-shotshells/pid-1002463?N=131541339

http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/estate-c...003?N=131541339

http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/federal-...651?N=131541339

I shoot the Brown box Rios all the time. They are very good shells, IMO. I reload for low pressure, but I don't waste my time reloading for my modern shotguns.

I buy them at the store, but they advertise free shipping on orders over $39. I went by at the very end of January and asked if they would entertain an offer on all they had in stock, at a lower price, seeing as how they would have to pay ad valorem tax on them if they were there when the doors closed Jan. 31. Manager said okay. I offered him half price on about 10-11 cases. He countered with $20 off each flat. I said okay, and scored the 1 1/8 oz. Rios at $38.99/flat. I'm an opportunist, I guess. I have a 9000G sitting idle, along with several single stage loaders. Haggling is way more fun than jacking a reloader handle. wink

SRH
Posted By: Ithaca5E Re: Reloading costs vs factory loads - 04/29/15 01:23 PM
I have not used reclaimed shot but would not be against it if enclosed in a new wad.

As to used wads, no. Years ago I worked in a life test lab, bearings, motor shafts, etc. We routinely used polyethelene and mylar as an abrasive medium. Any dirt or particulate matter embeds itself in the plastic and works like a fine sandpaper. You pick the grit.
Posted By: L. Brown Re: Reloading costs vs factory loads - 04/29/15 10:19 PM
I must've missed it. Was someone above claiming that they used reclaimed wads??

I haven't noticed any drop in results with 7/8 oz reloads of reclaimed shooting skeet, nor sporting clays targets that aren't way out there. That being said, when I'm shooting SC, I usually have a box of factory 1 oz along for longer targets. And I don't use reclaimed when I drop down to 3/4 oz loads. But I'm not shooting competition either.
Posted By: Wonko the Sane Re: Reloading costs vs factory loads - 04/30/15 02:42 AM
C'mon tw - - you know you got the buy of the century on that reclaim and using those #'s is just cruel. And I'm not even gonna mention the powder scam you're in but I could hahaha

simple cheating and that's all there is to it

have another day
Dr.WtS
Posted By: Tracy Re: Reloading costs vs factory loads - 04/30/15 03:18 AM
Every blown up gun I have had 1st hand knowledge of was the result of a reload. Blow up one gun and how much have you saved??. I loaded for years with out a problem but I buy factory loads now.. I know multiple experienced reloader that have blow up guns. Blow up a gun with factory ammo and you have a case with the manufacturer , Blow one up with a reload and you are on your own.
Posted By: TwiceBarrel Re: Reloading costs vs factory loads - 04/30/15 05:34 PM
I have shot 16 gauge exclusively for the past 28 years and have yet of see a box of 16 ga. 7/8th ounce loads on the shelf at any of the big box stores or even smaller sporting goods stores here in the West. If I want to shoot my preferred load I have no other alternative to reloading.
Posted By: Stallones Re: Reloading costs vs factory loads - 04/30/15 05:41 PM
This is the reloading calculater from trapshooters.com

http://www.trapshooters.com/pages/reloadcalc/

My cost for a 1 oz load came to $5.15/box

using Green dot and 1 oz load
Posted By: Ken Nelson Re: Reloading costs vs factory loads - 04/30/15 08:37 PM
I'm nearing the bottom of a 1000#s of reclaimed that I bought for $1.08 a pound. Had Claydot,& primers purchased many moons ago in stock. Claybuster wads are purchased as needed. I can run 400-500 rounds thru my Spolar in no time. I'm still below $4.00/Box which is OK by me. I've inspected my barrels with my Hawkeye bore scope and have yet to see any sign of scratches from the reclaimed. I know others have not been so lucky.
Posted By: L. Brown Re: Reloading costs vs factory loads - 05/01/15 11:07 AM
Originally Posted By: Tracy
Every blown up gun I have had 1st hand knowledge of was the result of a reload. Blow up one gun and how much have you saved??. I loaded for years with out a problem but I buy factory loads now.. I know multiple experienced reloader that have blow up guns. Blow up a gun with factory ammo and you have a case with the manufacturer , Blow one up with a reload and you are on your own.

I know of one, new Spanish gun from a very well-known and reputable maker, that blew with a factory load. Some years back, Remington had some barrel failures. (870? 1100?) I doubt all of those were reloads. Matter of fact, I also recall that one was settled class action, which would seem to indicate that Remington admitted the problem was on their end, not the shells.

You do have a better legal case, however, if it happens with a factory shell. No question. Reloading does involve a certain amount of risk, and requires caution.
Posted By: wyobirds Re: Reloading costs vs factory loads - 05/01/15 01:55 PM
I have been reloading for the 56 years, probably have not bought 10 boxes of shells in that time period and have yet to blow up a gun.
I fell in love with a 16 GA #2 AyA and soon discovered that suitable ammo was hard to come by and payloads are limited.
For the last 9 years I have reload RMC all brass hulls and the majority of my reloading is for upland bird hunting and do so for diversity and quality. The cost associated with the number of rounds fired in any season is insignificant. My loads use 3/4 oz. 7/8 oz., 1 oz., 1 1/8 oz. ejecta and factory loads with these payloads are are not available in 16 GA.
If I was still target shooter, I would continue to reload primarily because I have the presses in 28, 20, 16 and 12 gauges and thousands of old style AA hulls for each gauge.
Posted By: Kutter Re: Reloading costs vs factory loads - 05/01/15 04:47 PM
I reload to get the light loads I want for the older guns.
I find it a nice way to spend some time. Others may not.
9/16oz 12ga loads are tough to buy off the shelf.

The real savings are in the 410 I load. I don't load 28 but I imagine that's the same deal as factory ammo's probably crazy high.
But I continue to load 12. Lot's of components, I'm not picky and do admit to interchanging them on a low pressure load, especially primers & hulls.
Still no Ka-Booms after 50yrs of reloading shotgun, rifle & pistol.
If I save a buck a box,,that's OK. I'm still not too proud that I'd pass up a dollar bill lying on the ground and not pick it up.
Posted By: Stallones Re: Reloading costs vs factory loads - 05/01/15 06:21 PM
The two guns that I know blown up were factory and used factory ammo. One WAS a Browning GTI with Win AA handicap load and the other a Mossberg pump with Federal ammo In the Browning case , Winchester took the blame and in the Mossburg, my friend just threw is away after no resolution I overloaded one time--loaded 48 gr 7625 (double load) in a federal Paper case , bad recoil in my SidexSide
but no lasting damage.
Posted By: Ken Nelson Re: Reloading costs vs factory loads - 05/01/15 07:48 PM
I'll fess up.....I blew up a 687EELL....top barrel...about 6" ahead of the chamber....my reload (STS,Win Primer,Clays and Claybuster). No recoil at all...splintered the forearm and no one was hurt.(shooting five stand) I didn't feel it was a bad reload. I shot the rest of that batch without incident. No use to pursue Beretta replacing.....
Posted By: eightbore Re: Reloading costs vs factory loads - 05/01/15 09:35 PM
I used the calculator for my 12 and .410 loads. My 12's are $4.34 a box. My .410s are $3.76 a box. My wholesale source for both shells is $5.30 a box for Federal Top Gun 12s and $9.19 a box for AA .410s. The saving per box is $.96 a box for the 12 gauge and $5.43 a box for the .410s. The saving for 20 and 28 would probably be proportionate, since we use about the same shot charge for 12 and 20, 7/8 ounce, and the 28 and .410 should be very close too. I say that because my normal 28 gauge load is 11/16 ounce, a bit less than the normal 28 gauge load. The counters on my 28 and .410 loaders, installed a few years ago, show about 30,000 shells loaded. The savings rounds off at about $6000 to $6500. I am willing to reload for that savings, although combined with the big gun savings, may not be worth the effort, since the big gun savings is not that much. The realistic saving may not be more than a couple of dozen skeet shoots. However, without the reloaders, we could not load the specific loads we choose to shoot. I have no idea how I could acquire the loads I have required over 55 years of loading without having a loading room and loading my own shells.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com