doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: PALUNC Stock Doctor - 05/05/15 02:04 PM
Need to have a short extension put on one of my English guns and a friend recommended the Stock Doctor. I saw an extension he did on my friend's Atkin and it was an amazing job.
Anybody else ever used him?
Posted By: SKB Re: Stock Doctor - 05/05/15 02:09 PM
Dennis is a fellow member of the ACGG and very well known for his stock work. I have sent him jobs that I did not want to take on and was quite impressed when I received the finished product back from him. He is very good at hiding extensions, repairs etc. Give him a call, you will be glad you did.
Steve
Posted By: AmarilloMike Re: Stock Doctor - 05/05/15 03:48 PM
He did an extension on a Parker 20ga AHE for me. Including fitting the original skeleton steel buttplate. Excellent job. I highly recommend him.

As far as the dates he gives you for finishing your project, consider them first lie, second lie, third lie, etc... But call after each date expires and get a new lie so he knows you want your gun soon.

Best,

Mike

Posted By: AmarilloMike Re: Stock Doctor - 05/05/15 03:55 PM
I am referring to "The Stockdoctor" in the Pacific Northwest - Washington or Oregon I think.
Posted By: wingshooter16 Re: Stock Doctor - 05/05/15 04:46 PM
Tygh Valley, eastern Oregon.
Posted By: PALUNC Re: Stock Doctor - 05/05/15 05:40 PM
OK I already have an Atkin in the upper Northeast for 8 plus months and going. I don't need another hostage situation.
I am like this, I can understand things happen to slow the job down but it comes a point a person should be good to his word.
He indicated he could do the extension in a couple months and that included a leather pad.
I suppose I am at my wits end over the Atkin so I would probably have a breakdown if I had two guns out and no prospect of a time frame on the return.
I talked to the S-D and he was a true gentleman and have seen his work and it is truly fantastic. But it comes a time when deadlines must be kept.
So what I am hearing is his work is first rate but expect a long wait.
Who else is dependable and does first rate work?
Posted By: KY Jon Re: Stock Doctor - 05/05/15 06:00 PM
Top smiths/engravers/brain surgeons tend to be over booked. Have you thought about Mark's born again bird guns? Perhaps he can take care of your stock in a reasonable that me frame.
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: Stock Doctor - 05/05/15 06:27 PM
I kind of like having my guns off at the gunsmith's for extended periods of time. It makes my gun-safe appear to be under rather than overstocked and whets my appetite for something new...Geo
Posted By: Julio Re: Stock Doctor - 05/05/15 06:45 PM
If the waiting period is too much to swallow, check out Mark Larson at Larson Fine Art in Tacoma, WA. He does amazing stock extension work, as shown on his website. And I don't think his turn around time is too long.
Posted By: skeettx Re: Stock Doctor - 05/05/15 06:52 PM
Dennis, Mark, and Mark All Three are awesome,
Remember sometimes good things take a bit longer !
Mike
Posted By: DES/TSD Re: Stock Doctor - 05/05/15 07:15 PM
Dennis Earl Smith/The Stock Doctor lives in Tygh Valley, OR. Mike, thank you for the compliment. No one is more hurt than I when I can not keep my word. The only recourse I can use afterward has been to discount the final bill, apologize, and ship the job home.

I wish to thank all who have chosen to use my services for the past 25 years. I continue to strive for excellent results to please those who entrust their work to me.

Mark Larson and Mark Beasland ARE excellent craftsman. I recommend them as well.
Posted By: Buddy Marson Re: Stock Doctor - 05/05/15 08:31 PM
I had Dennis Smith add an extension to a 12 Ga.,C grade Parker. His work is excellent and well worth the wait. Do you want it good or do you want it fast? You can't have both! I have also used Dennis for a number of other projects and I have never been disappointed. I highly recommend him and will use him again on any future projects.
Buddy Marson
Posted By: Dave Suponski Re: Stock Doctor - 05/05/15 10:08 PM
My wood work goes nowhere else but to Dennis. I consider him a master at his trade and a good friend. Trust me its well worth the wait.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com