doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: gunsaholic 1894 Remington - 05/11/15 11:56 PM
I have a couple of questions regarding a Remington 1894 A grade ejector gun from 1905. Did any of these guns come with a steel buttplate? This gun has one with the widow's peak. The stock also has a poor fit where it meets the receiver (bit of a gap). Maybe it has been removed and not reinstalled properly but I was thinking perhaps a replacement stock. However, under the trigger guard tang the number stamped into the channel matches the rest of the gun and it appears it's been there for some time. The LOP is 14 1/8".
Also, on the bottom of the barrels are the letters LREF with a number 17 under them. Anyone know what they signify? As for the grade marking, I only see a letter A stamped into the water table and nothing on the flats except the serial number. There is no E for ejector or R for Remington steel barrels. The barrels are not damascus. The pellet count on the rear barrel lugs are 274 and 227 so I assume full and modified.

Posted By: KY Jon Re: 1894 Remington - 05/12/15 04:27 AM
I suspect your stock has a crack on the head which is why it is spread out and fits poorly. Remingtons often suffer a crack stock. Fairly easy repair if you have one. Do a search of this site and you will find several great post with detailed pictures of how to do it.
Posted By: CJ Dawe Re: 1894 Remington - 05/12/15 10:38 AM
That gun is restocked Brian ,numbers are easy to stamp ,customers ask me to do it all the time ,it could be shaped to look somewhat proper though the line from the toe to the back end of the grip knob is the issue ...it's a tad sharp .

Best,
Chris
Posted By: gunsaholic Re: 1894 Remington - 05/12/15 12:43 PM
Chris, I had my suspicion that the stock was replaced. The pistol grip just didn't look right and with the gun in hand there are other tell-tale signs. The gun is going back.
Posted By: ClapperZapper Re: 1894 Remington - 05/12/15 01:14 PM
3 things.
Checkering isn't fine enough.
Metal butt plates were on the earlier hammer guns. Probably picked for the widows peak fit.

Nose of comb on 1894's is distinctive.
And then all the other aspects of a 100+ year old gun apply.

I am away from Semner's book, and Researcher is away, probably doing something cool.
Posted By: J.R.B. Re: 1894 Remington - 05/12/15 01:54 PM
Originally Posted By: gunsaholic
Chris, I had my suspicion that the stock was replaced. The pistol grip just didn't look right and with the gun in hand there are other tell-tale signs. The gun is going back.

All of which can be repaired. If the rest of the gun is in good shooting condition I would probably keep it. But then, I'm a sucker for Remington and Fox.
Posted By: canvasback Re: 1894 Remington - 05/13/15 01:24 AM
Brian, I'll be home Thursday night if you want to know something specific from Semmer's book.
Posted By: gunsaholic Re: 1894 Remington - 05/13/15 03:23 AM
Originally Posted By: canvasback
Brian, I'll be home Thursday night if you want to know something specific from Semmer's book.

There were a couple of other issues with the gun. The seller and I came to an agreement and the gun is on its way back to him. In all fairness, I think the seller was unaware of what to look for in a SxS which was reflected in the details of the sale. But all has been rectified with a proper conclusion.
Posted By: canvasback Re: 1894 Remington - 05/13/15 11:05 PM
Good to hear you have resolved things to your satisfaction.
Posted By: Ithaca16 Re: 1894 Remington - 05/13/15 11:33 PM
Your barrels are remington steel. The R and the E you are talking about are on the barrels , the normal location. Not on the eatertable if that is what you are thinking. The stock may be original but the checkering looks like it was worked on? Butt plate is not original to gun. I would say the chokes are imp. cyl. and mod. Remington steel barrels will have Remington roll marked on top of both barrels. Terry
Posted By: Researcher Re: 1894 Remington - 05/14/15 05:49 PM
I doubt anyone left alive really knows what the markings on the bottom of the barrels of Remington doubles mean. Sometimes, as in the case of this gun the R might mean Remington Steel barrels and the E might mean ejectors.

X
K
E
A1 on a 1909 vintage KE-Grade 16-gauge --

We can guess that K is the grade, E for ejectors and it appears that X is common to 16-gauge guns. What does the A1 mean?

///
K
E
Y on a 1906 vintage KE-Grade 12-gauge --

Again K could be the grade and E mean ejectors, but what does the Y mean?

///
F
E
G
13 on a 1906 vintage 12-gauge FE-Grade Trap Gun --

What does the G mean? What does the 13 mean?

///
M on a 1906 vintage 12-gauge CEO-Grade --

What does the M mean? If the O on the gun below means Ordnance Steel barrels, why no O here? Why no E for ejectors?

X
O on a 1905 vintage 16-gauge DEO-Grade --

Again, the X seems to mean 16-gauge and the O could mean Ordnance Steel barrels. Why no E for ejectors?

P
A on a 1896 vintage 12-gauge AE-grade --

A could be the grade, but why no E for the ejectors? What does the P mean?

B
J
E on a 1895 vintage 12-gauge BE-Grade --

B could be the grade, E could be the ejectors and the J could be the barrel material as the Remington Damascus salesman's sample lists these barrels as Chain J.

What does /// mean?
Posted By: Cameron Re: 1894 Remington - 05/15/15 01:02 AM
A friend called me up at work today and said he was inspecting a 1900 16 ga, for possible purchase/trade and wanted me to look it over. I should have taken some photos of the lettering and numbers on it with my I-phone. It had the number 19 in the same sequence of letters and number that you show Researcher in the photo of the FE. It was also a pre-1906 gun.

I surmised, probably wrongly, on some of the lettering, but had no clue on the number. It was an extractor gun with 26" barrels. Not too sure how many 1900's came with 26" barrels, if any. It looked to me as though they may have been cut since they didn't touch, but the gap was very skinny.
Posted By: canvasback Re: 1894 Remington - 05/15/15 01:26 AM
Originally Posted By: Researcher
I doubt anyone left alive really knows what the markings on the bottom of the barrels of Remington doubles mean. Sometimes, as in the case of this gun the R might mean Remington Steel barrels and the E might mean ejectors.

X
K
E

Ahhhh....the most beautiful car ever made?
Posted By: Paul Harm Re: 1894 Remington - 05/16/15 08:13 PM
No, the 120 drop head
Posted By: Drew Hause Re: 1894 Remington - 05/16/15 09:06 PM
1889 Grade 3 with a fused JP

1894 A grade with same

1894 C grade with "Etoile 3. B.P." also with a fused 'JP' mark

Possibly the rough forged tube maker? Jules Pirard-Ancion, Jules Pire & Cie, or Jacques Pirotte & Fils
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com