doublegunshop.com - home
Which Issue was Sherman Bells article on testing Damascus barrels in?
Vol 10, Issue 4, Winter 1999 - Destructive testing of Parker GH Damascus
Vol 16, Issue 2, Summer 2005 - Destructive testing of Parker VH Vulcan Steel
Vol 17, Issue 3, Autumn 2006, p. 12 - Destructive testing 8 Damascus doubles
Vol 17, Issue 4, Winter 2006, p. 28 - Destructive testing 7 Damascus
Vol 18, Issue 1, Spring 2007 -
.....1. Destructive testing on a Damascus barrel with thinned walls
.....2. Destructive testing using various obstructions, including a 20g shell
.....3. Destructive testing using a shell loaded with 3 1/4 Drams by volume or 56 grains of Unique (similar to “Infallible”) with 1 1/4 oz. shot. The 3 1/4 Dram Equivalent load is 24 grains of “Infallible”.
Vol 19, Issue 2, Summer 2008, p. 18 - Destructive testing 1 Damascus, 6 Twist
Vol 20, Issue 3, Autumn 2009, p. 108 - Destructive testing 1 Damascus, 5 Twist “Bottom-Of-The-Barrel Wall-Hangers”
Total 28 vintage doubles/54 barrels + 1 Fluid Steel Parker

I would appreciate someone providing the page numbers that are missing
Thanks Drew. I just picked up a collection of DG Journals Vol's 3 to 17. I will get you page #'s as I read the articles.
Volume 10 Issue 4 Finding Out for Myself. part 2 page 21.
Incredible reading, insane testing before she blew.

Sherman recommends reading part 1 in Volume 10 issue 2 before reading part 2 page 9.
HA HA I see I have Vol 18 issue 1 also.
Can't wait to read these articles.
What are the odds of Sherman Bell or the Double Gun Journal producing a book of all the Bell testing articles?
It is worth pointing out that Tom Armbrust had a hand in that endeavor as well. I believe retired now, but he used to do ballistic testing. I sent him a bunch of loads a few years back for pressure testing in an effort to find a bargain alternative to RST and the like.

It was eye-openning to see the variance within loads in the SAME BOX by some manufacturers.

NDG
Originally Posted by DGR375
What are the odds of Sherman Bell or the Double Gun Journal producing a book of all the Bell testing articles?

Very slim, I'd think.
Larry Potterfield provided most of the guns for the testing. Great articles by Sherman Bell
DGJ has their third Index & Reader coming out. Maybe a distillation of Bell’s findings would make a dandy reference piece
Originally Posted by Nudge
It is worth pointing out that Tom Armbrust had a hand in that endeavor as well. I believe retired now, but he used to do ballistic testing. I sent him a bunch of loads a few years back for pressure testing in an effort to find a bargain alternative to RST and the like.

It was eye-openning to see the variance within loads in the SAME BOX by some manufacturers.

NDG

Tom has not retired. He is in the shotshell pressure testing business just as much as ever.
Originally Posted by pamtnman
DGJ has their third Index & Reader coming out. Maybe a distillation of Bell’s findings would make a dandy reference piece

Really? It's been "coming out" for the last 7 years or so.
Well only seven more to go
Now now. As far as I have seen, they have only begun advertising it recently
Originally Posted by Stanton Hillis
Originally Posted by Nudge

NDG

Tom has not retired. He is in the shotshell pressure testing business just as much as ever.

Thank you Stanton, that's good news!

NDG
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com