doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: King Brown OT--Canada's long-gun registry - 04/11/07 06:36 PM
The Conservative minority government has extended for another year its reprieve for owners who have not registered their long guns. The National Firearms Association says it appears the government realizes that the firearms-control system is a failure and they're buying time to make a major change. A federal election may be called soon.
Posted By: Shotgunjones Re: OT--Canada's long-gun registry - 04/11/07 08:10 PM
A government admitting a failure? Very funny...
Posted By: slate Re: OT--Canada's long-gun registry - 04/11/07 08:19 PM
Hi King, In my opinion Canada is experiencing better governance under this minority Government than it has in the past 10 years with majority governments. I don't believe that the Canadian populace have the appetite for a Federal Election. There is no wedge issue in evidence that the Parties can use as a substantial election plank. Hence I expect that we will have the current minority government for some time to come ( 6 months or more ). The rescinding of the long gun registry wouldn't win Harper any political points which he doesn't already have and may cost him some hence there will not be any major change in the policy. If we had a majority Conservative Government they would rescind the long gun registry and show how financial and other waste associated with the lgr could be countered with upholding of stronger sentencing for violent offenses etc.. Harper will pay special heed to the mood of the electorate as to the timing of an election - I don't think it is near but then I have been wrong before as I thought we would see and election in May but I no longer beleive it.
Posted By: King Brown Re: OT--Canada's long-gun registry - 04/11/07 09:53 PM
I can't take issue with anything you say, slate, and I'm pleased with the way the NFA and the fraternity generally has kept its cool on the issue. Last week I spoke to our Foreign Minister, who has been rock-solid on getting rid of the registry, and I believe a majority will do it.

Shotgun, the previous Liberal government saddled us with the registry. The Conservative party, which said it would get rid of it, formed a minority government. The shooting sports recognized that bashing the Çonservatives for not immediately rescinding the law would not help get rid of the registry.
Posted By: Greg Tag Re: OT--Canada's long-gun registry - 04/12/07 02:15 PM
Gentlemen:

Do you think Harper would seek and outright repeal, or merely reductionist tinkering?

Regards

GKT
Posted By: Anonymous Re: OT--Canada's long-gun registry - 04/12/07 04:13 PM
Thanks Guys. I renewed my passport just in case something happens up there, or down here, and new travel restrictions are imposed. We have been hunting ruffed up there since the '60's. None of the locals in the area where our cabin is located, especially Amerindians, paid any attention to the long gun registration scheme. Cost us hunters a bundle though.
Posted By: pblsyd Re: OT--Canada's long-gun registry - 04/12/07 05:18 PM
hey hal. you should try being a gun owner up here! what a mess!keep on coming up and hunting grouse. leave a few dollars so we can pay income tax so they can keep financing a useless long gun registry. pbl
Posted By: slate Re: OT--Canada's long-gun registry - 04/12/07 09:07 PM
Greg, Some elements of the gun control registration are going to be with us forever such as the PAL ( Possession & Acquisition Licensce ) I don't think many of us object to that portion and most support it. If it stops some yahoo from legally acquiring a gun so much the better in my opinion - they will get guns anyway but if the crime and punishment bills get through the firearms offenses won't as easily get traded off in the sentencing unlike today. The registering of long guns makes no sense to a thinking person. Guns don't commit crimes and keeping track of who legally owns what firearm is first an infringement upon personal rights and secondly won't work and most importantly the Government has no reason to know what legally held gun I possess. Harper will repeal the long gun registry if he ever gets a majority government. More money will be invested in gun storage education and firearms handling. The money may be that of the citizen who owns the gun or may partially be government funded - most citizens will pay. The long gun registry is a mess - it was predictably going to be a mess, impossible to administrate etc. unless we become a Fascist State. There are just enough fools out there who think that if the policies and practices they espouse lead us to being a fascist state that is OK as long as we have complete control of all firearms. One of the anomolies of permissive liberalism is that in order to achieve the Societal Structure they crave they espouse restrictions and controls which lead to more interfering governance of individuals not less. The examples of this ridiculous position are apparent all through Society today for an example smoking of tobacco products is prohibited just about everywhere yet many of these same individuals want the legalization of marajuana - to put in brownies I guess for surely they wouldn't condone smoking. Nuts.
Posted By: King Brown Re: OT--Canada's long-gun registry - 04/12/07 10:28 PM
Where does the Green Party of Canada stand on the long-gun registry? Federal leader Elizabeth May is coming to dinner tomorrow night.
Posted By: Doug Waterman Re: OT--Canada's long-gun registry - 04/13/07 04:05 AM
As we see that Canada is considering their registration program a failure, take a look what our beloved politicans in Harrisburg, PA. are proposing......
For you folks that live in Pennsylvania contact your Representitves...

http://www.legis.state.pa.us/CFDOCS/Legi...760&pn=0881
Posted By: builder Re: OT--Canada's long-gun registry - 04/13/07 11:40 AM
Sounds worse than New Jersey's system.
Posted By: David Hamilton Re: OT--Canada's long-gun registry - 04/13/07 05:21 PM
The language of this bill is the language that has been proposed for a National registry. I hear that the Demo Party has moved away from promoting this agenda, but would shurely return to this if they sensed support. I say " Fight 'em to the end!". David
Posted By: David Hamilton Re: OT--Canada's long-gun registry - 04/13/07 05:26 PM
The language of this bill is from the model propposed for a national registry. The Demo party has moved away from promoting gun registration in the last year but would return to it in a nano second if they sensed support.. I say" Fight 'em to the end!!" David
Posted By: slate Re: OT--Canada's long-gun registry - 04/13/07 09:01 PM
King, Well I see you have a pretty clear choice now. With Dion deciding to not run a Liberal candidate in order to bolster May's chances of defeating McKay he is again sending the message to Canadians that the issue we should focus on is the environment above and beyond all else. Certainly The Green Party is still pretty much a single issue party. May could not win in London, I doubt that she will win in central Nova Scotia. Her next move will likely be Vancouver Island. I hope McKay trounces her big time. I will be interesting to hear what the NDP plan to do re a candidate. I am very interested in what May has to say about gun ownership. Dion and the Libs are pretty clear in their dodgey, gibberish addressing of the topic when forced that they still have the hidden agenda of getting all of the guns sooner or later. I suspect May will sidestep the issue and say guns for recreation in the right place at the right time and hunting of non threatened species in an overpopulated local are abidable by her. Won't that be a wonderful endorsement. She has already proven that she knows how to broker deals without overt commitment. Let us know what you hear and discern.
Posted By: slate Re: OT--Canada's long-gun registry - 04/13/07 09:16 PM
King, Well I see you have a pretty clear choice now. With Dion deciding to not run a Liberal candidate in order to bolster May's chances of defeating McKay he is again sending the message to Canadians that the issue we should focus on is the environment above and beyond all else. Certainly The Green Party is still pretty much a single issue party. May could not win in London, I doubt that she will win in central Nova Scotia. Her next move will likely be Vancouver Island. I hope McKay trounces her big time. I will be interesting to hear what the NDP plan to do re a candidate. I am very interested in what May has to say about gun ownership. Dion and the Libs are pretty clear in their dodgey, gibberish addressing of the topic when forced that they still have the hidden agenda of getting all of the guns sooner or later. I suspect May will sidestep the issue and say guns for recreation in the right place at the right time and hunting of non threatened species in an overpopulated local are abidable by her. Won't that be a wonderful endorsement. She has already proven that she knows how to broker deals without overt commitment. Let us know what you hear and discern.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com