doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: APS The Fall Southern Side x Side at Backwoods Quail - 07/20/15 04:03 PM
As many of you may now be aware there will not be a Vintage Cup. With that in mind and a great desire to shoot fine doubles those of us in the Vintagers Carolinas and Georgia Chapters are wanting to remind all of you about the Fall Southern Side x Side. http://www.southernsidebyside.com/#!the-fall-classic/cpcp

This will not be a Vintager event but we have supported this event front the beginning and now see it as very important to the vintage shooting community. In discussions with both Rick Hemmingway and Bill Kempfert we as a group are making a push to grow this event.

Rick has agreed to add some events such as the flurry and maybe a rifle/drillings event.

Backwoods will also offer a tower Pheasant hunt during this weekend and quail hunts can be arranged. This is a wonderful facility and this shoot has the ability to grow with shooter support.

We as the Carolina and Georgia Vintagers encourage any and all to try and attend and support the vintage shooting community. If you have a suggestion I believe you will find Rick Hemmingway and the Backwoods staff open and willing to listen.

If we can increase the number of shooters that will increase the number of vendors and grow the event and the enjoyment for the vintage shooting community. It will not replace the Vintage Cup but it does not have to.

Al
I talked with Rick about the upcoming Fall Southern just a few days ago at his place. He said, from the looks of the number of vendors contacting him about coming, this will be the biggest one yet. My room is already reserved for the weekend.

Good reminder, Al.

SRH
APS & Stan;

Are we seeing the beginning of the demise of the Vintagers?
I think the Vintagers are going to survive nationally very well as they self organize and gain strength thru grass roots governance. I believe there will be less emphasis on Vintage dress and more of a spotlight on the enjoyment of all types of side by sides.

The Spring Southern is a fabulous event because of the hard work of Bill Kemper and Rick Hemingway for many years. What Deep River suffers from is limited space for varied target presentations.

The Fall Southern is held at arguably the best clays facility in the southeast. Still with Bill and Rick putting on the show, the Fall Southern has it all.... Superb target presentations, a great space for vendors, and a beautiful Low Country backdrop to entertain spouses in Georgetown and Charleston. The restaurants and hotel options in Georgetown are second to none in the South.

Y'all come down and join us in October. You will not be disappointed! Fly into Charleston or Myrtle Beach. Stay in Georgetown or at the beach at DeBordieu Resort. If you are looking for the small town, inexpensive route, stay in Hemingway. The best BarBQ in South Carolina is just up the road at Scott's Barbecue. Live oaks and Spanish Moss, the best clays course in the southeast and the best tower shoot anywhere in the U.S. . Don't miss it!

Dr. P
I am not a good one to answer that, bushveld. I have never been to a Vintagers event, though I have shot with them many times at other S x S shoots.

SRH
The Vintagers as a group will continue to be a strong group as Chris notes. The Vintage Cup was not a Vintagers produced event. With new leadership and changes in direction the Vintage Cup is no more for now but the group is moving foreward. Georgia, Alabama, and Mississippi have all established chapters. We hope more chapters will be created.

Our push here in the region is to strengthen the interest in vintage and classic shooting. Backwoods and a larger fall event seems a good place to start. We are also wanting to attract any and all who enjoy shooting and collecting not only side by sides but all fine guns.

Al
My apologies to Bill Kempffer! Kempffer is the correct spelling of his name. An unusually great guy with an unusually spelled name!
Vintagers' Cup or not why would north shooters drive down to SC for a shoot? Very few of the deep south boys come to shoots in the nawth. Same situation isn;t it? Besides by then its hunting season up heah. Will the big doublegun sellers be there in S C? Like who ?
Not entirely true Old Joe. I traveled from North Carolina to Houssman's Endless Mountain shoot on two occasions.
Many of us came to Vintage Cup at Sandonina, Pintail, and Rhode Island. Why do you assume we did not support the shoots up north?

I love the Hudson Valley. That shoot is no more and this is a great venue. Give it a try. Vendor list will be out as we get closer.

Al
I wrote very few deep south boys drive up to nawth shoots. I diodn't write none. Lets hear from south boys that were at Vintagers' Dover furnace in N.Y. last year, by name & state pleeze.
I was there! Nice people and a good shoot. In fact, the Carolina Vintagers had half a dozen folks at the last Vintage Cup.

I liked the area so much that my wife and I are going to vacation in the Hudson Valley next month. I suspect that many people that visit the Low Country of South Carolina will return for a non shooting trip soon thereafter!

Chris Teigland
Charlotte, NC
I spoke with Rick Hemingway at Backwoods Quail yesterday and he is definitely adding a one-man and two-man team flurry, 16 gauge into the Big Bore and Preliminary contests, a drilling competition, a preliminary pump gun event on Thursday afternoon, and a tower pheasant shoot. Lots of opportunities to have fun. The weather is great this time of the year in SC and the seafood is fantastic all year round.

For the record, I was at Dover Furnace, and Addieville Farms the previous two years. And Sandanona, Pintail Point and Addieville Farms at the second Vintage Cup. I live in NC. I never want to pass up on a great double gun shoot. And this is going to be one.
From what I've heard, not having a Parker/L.C. Smith Challenge at Rick's has kept quite a few shooters from attending his event. Not a concern for me. Rick does a fantastic job otherwise. The food is way better than Deep River's Spring Southern, although Bill has made a good effort at improving his.
JR
John,

There is a Parker-Smith SBT Challenge. It will not be the same scale but there is an attempt to keep the challenge running year round.

It just boils down to creating more attendance and more vendor activity to grow the event. It does conflict with some hunting so folks will need to decide if they can miss a few days of a season to enjoy a shooting event during season.

At least October in the low country is nice weather in a great part of the country. It was only 95 degrees today. A cool spell in SC.

Al
You can bet college football takes its toll on this event as well.
JR
I do not believe the Parker/LC Smith Trap Challenge is limited only to single-barrel guns. There will also be a "regular" challenge event on the 5-stand field. I'll look to get better details on that.

John R., I don't see why the college football should be a problem. They have a big-screen TV in the club house so we can all watch the Georgia game smile
I'll be going up to Dover Furnace from Charlotte for this Sept shoot (900 or so miles each way). I was in the UK last year and missed the last Vintage Cup. I attended many Vintage Cups in NY and Maryland. I never made it to Rhode Island.

I'll be in Georgetown for the Fall. Rick puts on a good shoot with excellent targets. I usually add either the 500 bird tower or a quail hunt with friends in addition to the clays. If you opt for the pheasant tower, 2 bits of advice, book early and bring lots of shells.

Joe
Judy and I have gone north for 3 Vintager events at Pintail Point and one at Addieville.

We already have our hotel reservation for this year's Fall Southern SxS and look forward to seeing our yankee friends down here.
So far very few south boys have said they came north. Hwo about those from Miss, Jawja, Bama? Have you been to northern shoots like the ones at medford or Hidden hollows? I understand why, its just too far. question to OP, why mention the the Vintagers Cup status as reason for nawth boys driving to S C in october ?
When there was Vintage Cup that was the defacto standard and most of our Carolinas Chapter did at some point make the trip.
It became what we did each fall.

The new Dover Furnace event will no doubt be a nice event but it is a general shotgun event. We are looking to Backwoods and the Fall Side by Side as a event for the vintage shooters.
It happens to be close for us and we would welcome others to come visit us down south and help grow the event.

If you don't want to make the drive- so be it- but others might. Many of us miss the days of Sandonona and Pintail but they are history. Time to support vintage events wherever they are.

Al
Have been to all of the Fall Southern's at Hemingways. Always top notch shooting and hospitality. Looking forward to going again.
Darrell, we look forward to seeing you again also. It is a great event.
I applaud the efforts of the various southern Vintagers chapters to get this show better attended.
I have only attended once, when problems with renewing my US visa caused me to be unable to attend the VC, and I agree that it is a lovely venue: we had great weather and wonderful hospitality.
However, those attending as shooters must realise the significant contribution that the vendors make to the financial viability of the event. The cost of a double booth costs $1000 for the space alone and that subsidises a lot of shooting for Joe Public.
Shooters attending the shoot in good numbers is very important for the viability of the show but so is making it a worthwhile event for vendors in terms of sales.
Having a lovely time chatting with interested parties is great but without sales, the vendors will wither away and the show will slide into oblivion.
Sadly this show is very expensive and difficult for me to attend and I am unlikely to exhibit there any time soon but I wish you all a wonderful time, just remember to take some spare cash!
I will be attending the Dover Furnace event and look forward to seeing any of you who have the time and energy to make it up there.
I remember the year you came, Toby, and enjoyed talking with you and seeing your finely restored guns. I understand the costs involved for you to travel across the big pond to a show like this, and I did not know the cost was that high for a booth at Rick's. But, I find myself wondering a bit at your statement about that $1000 subsidizing Joe Public's shooting. I think the event registration fees of, basically, one dollar per bird pretty well covers the costs of shooting. I understand that there are other costs the host club has, such as the fine meals Rick always provides, etc. But, there are no NSCA fees to be paid, either. I would add that the fee you vendors pay is what covers the costs of renting the large tents provided for you to display your wares. Shooters would not need the tents were it not for vendors being there.

Is the vendor fee not the same at Deep River for the Spring Southern, or the other big events like this?

SRH
Stan makes a good point, Toby. The fees for the targets cover most of the shooting costs. And I believe we have to pay for our eats also. Those big tents are where most of the vendors' costs come from; they are very expensive. Plus, the range owner's profit from doing the event, which in Rick H's case, I'm sure is held to a very reasonable amount.

I doubt any of the Joe Sixpack crowd show up and shoot this event at the expense of the vendor.
JR
I am sure that both Stan and John and right, the clay charge will no doubt cover the cost of shooting....if shooters turn up!
The vendors and shooters are mutually supportive financially: the former in terms of sales and the latter in terms of security for the organisers.
The vendors have to pay months in advance and it is this money which gives the organisers the financial security to lay on the organisation to accommodate a, hopefully, large number of shooters.
If the weather forecast is terrible for a day, or worse still, the whole weekend, many shooters will give it a miss but the trappers, food, equipment must still be paid for.
I have seen this situation at Maryland, Rhode Island and Sanford and although rain can drive shooters into the tents, it is noticeable how quiet a forecasted wet day can be.
If you haven't had to commit by virtue of a long drive, why get your pride and joy wet if you are not looking to make purchases: 'There is always next weekend to shoot.'
I am not looking to devalue the contribution to the event that shooters make: without them it would pointless for everyone. But it serves no one to forget the importance of the vendors to the financial viability of an event on this scale.
Good points for sure, Toby. Well stated. Judy and I are planning on making this one, nothing interfering.
JR
Hello All,

Information and a registration form have been put up on the Back Woods Quail Club website. The link for the registration form is at the bottom of the page.

http://www.backwoodsquailclub.com/sidebyside/
Hello To My Friends In The Carolina Vintagers and The Georgia Vintagers, We, The Vintagers from VA and NC and GA, could join together and sponsor an event of some type during The Fall Southern SXS Shoot. Each of these Vintager's Shooting Clubs could put up $500.00 each to sponsor some type of an event at Backwoods or near Backwoods to benefit our side-by-side shooting community at large. Getting the money from these three Vintager Gun Clubs should be the easy part of putting on a benefit event. The hard part will be getting someone who lives near Backwoods to come forward and take command of supervising whatever benefit event is decided on. If The Vintagers want to prosper in the future we need to demonstrate to our fellow shooters what we can do for the shooting community. Good Shooting To You All, Jent
I live in NC, what does it take to join?
Check your PM. We have several members in the Raleigh area.

Al
What would that "some type of event" be, Jent? Would it be scheduled to be held at a different time from the events being held at the Fall Southern?

SRH
What in ell is Jent talking about holding an event "close" to the Fall Southern event? Is he crazy? Oh, we've already established that, but he's a nice guy. Am I reading his post correctly? Is he actually planning an event opposite the Fall Southern to sabatage it?
I hope that Jent's post won't be deleted, because it shows how strange his thoughts are on our side by side shoots. Why would he want to skew the Fall Southern, a great event put on by a great entrepreneur, Rick Hemmingway.
I don't know Jent, but was hoping I misunderstood his post, and that he was not proposing what it sounds like he was. Vintage Edwardian attire is not my thing, but I certainly have no axe to grind with Jent or the Vintagers, and hope he comes back in here and gives more explanation about what he meant.

SRH
OK......Let's see if pictures help describe something extra that The Vintager's could do to benefit all of our fellow SXS shooters.

This picture above is from the Virginia Vintager Sponsored Shooters Reception at The Flame Steakhouse in 2014. These events always cost more per person then we charge per person to attend. The Virginia Vintagers put up the many hundreds of dollars to "insure" this event to the owners of The Flame. If a hurricane hits The Flame still has to be paid for the food even though no one shows up to eat the food at the reception. We have never been rained out yet, Thank the Good Lord.

This picture above is from the Virginia Vintagers Sponsored Reception at The Flame Steakhouse in 2013. Another great year at The Shooters Reception made possible by The Vintagers. It cost The Virginia Vintagers a few hundred dollars to sponsor this reception but this is the type of activity that allows us to share with other shooters that we only see once a year.

The L C Smith lunch at Carlisle, Pennsylvania in 2011......see the picture above......who is that in the dead center of this picture enjoying a little something extra that the L C Smith club has done to support all shooters.....well that is our very own "eightbore" himself.....I am still looking for that picture of you Bill at our Vintagers Lunch at Pintail Pointe during one of the Vintage Cup Shoots where we fed everyone for free !

So what type of social event could The Vintagers sponsor to benefit all of the shooters at The Fall Southern SXS???

Good Shooting To You All, Jent
Thanks for the explanation, Jent, and the great pictures. My best wishes to the Vintagers in being able to host some type of get together during the Fall Southern. Rick and his staff would be invaluable in helping you locate a venue, I would think.

All my best, Stan

Pictures above are from the free lunch at The Vintage Cup at Pintail Pointe a few years ago.......This lunch was organized by The Virginia Vintagers......This is the type of event that The Vintagers should be sponsoring at all of our large SXS shoots.... This is one way our Vintager clubs can give back to the shooting community.....YES, this lunch was FREE at The Vintage Cup at Pintail Pointe....I will try to find some pictures of the food before eightbore and tenbore got to it......Good Shooting To You All, Jent
Posted By: APS Re: something extra during The Fall Southern SXS - 08/08/15 04:31 PM
The Carolina Vintagers are listed as an event sponsor. Please see the ad on page 151 of the September/October Shooting Sportsman.

This is what our chapter has done to support this event. AS a whole we need to reach outside the active vintage and classic shooting community- we are a small and aging group- if we are going to grow this and other vintage shoots.

For those of you interested here is the like to the registration and shoot information:www.southernsideybside.com

There will not be any rifle or drillings events this year. There is a pump gun event.

There will be more information from some of the other chapters as well with some of their plans- again this is not a Vintager Event- we just are big fans of this shoot.

al
Here's a direct link to the Fall SxS registration form http://media.wix.com/ugd/591169_52db54b76c374837b6303d45069b2f2a.pdf

Here's a direct link to the Fall SxS schedule http://media.wix.com/ugd/591169_4bf8fed138b74961add80e79c6d413fb.pdf

We Carolina Vintagers like meeting new folks and old friends so come on down for some real Southern fun.
As a Nebraskan, I attended the shoot at Medford this year, and really liked it. Next Spring, I, and perhaps a friend, intend to attend the Spring shoot in Sanford NC. That's 1100 miles. I am a side by side lover who simply enjoyed the friendly atmosphere at Medford, and someone attending said "They are all like this."
See you in the spring.....Sam Ogle, Lincoln, NE
If y'all are interested in a September SxS only shoot, come to Rock Mountain Sporting Clays in N.E. PA for the Northern SxS Challenge and Expo. 4 days of nothing but SxS shooting and vendors!! This is the first year for what will be the best Fall SxS event in the northeast!! More info is on thge website at www.rockmountainclays.com on the "Northern SxS Challenge and Expo" page. There are other events in the NE region in the Fall season, but they are not SxS only!!
For those contemplating the Southern Side-by-side at Backwoods Quail Club near the end of October:

I feel compelled to enumerate some outstanding reasons to consider The Fall Southern as a “must attend” event for double gun enthusiasts:

1) The club has outstanding facilities, including all clay target games and two Sporting courses.

2) The grounds are especially spacious with ample room for vendors and attendee parking. No roadside parking is necessary.

3) The club is an easy drive from Georgetown, maybe 15 minutes.

4) For the more cosmopolitan sportsman and companions, the club is a mere 30 minute drive from Pawley’s Island, Litchfield by The Sea, or Murrell’s Inlet on the beautiful SC coast. These communities are delightfully upscale and offer a host of amenities including over 100 golf courses, wonderful beaches, and a bewildering choice of restaurants with some of the finest seafood you will find in America. The restaurant-lined Marsh Walk in Murrells Inlet (home of Mickey Spillane) is especially fun.

5) Within the above coastal communities, you will also find the sculpture and art of Brookgreen Gardens, the beaches and wildlife of Huntington State Park, and more. This can be a delightful diversion for the wife, family and you! Check them out:

http://www.brookgreen.org

http://southcarolinaparks.com/huntingtonbeach/introduction.aspx

http://marshwalk.com

Finally, the end of October is definitely “off season” so very good rates are available at some outstanding hotels.

So… what’s not to like? Double guns, great golf, great seafood, great accommodations – and an ocean.
We are trying to put together a squad of Ithaca Knick shooters to add a little class to the Parker-Smith Trap shoot. Have 4 probables. need the 5th and ideally a 6th as a reserve. Anyone out there?? (Dr. P. is included in the 4). I called the club today to ask if the trap shoot was exclusive to Parkers/Smiths??
The answer was, correctly, we never turn away anyone with money, or words to that effect.
If I don't shoot a 5E, I will be shooting either of these.

Or maybe this one--so many decisions---
I think we have a fifth shooter. Still could use a 6th. Especially looking for a ringer!
Posted By: GLS Re: something extra during The Fall Southern SXS - 08/13/15 09:58 PM
Originally Posted By: Walter C. Snyder
I think we have a fifth shooter. Still could use a 6th. Especially looking for a ringer!

In other words, not just another pretty gun. wink Gil
A pretty gun who knows how to shoot!
Walt, count me in, Knick 4E and all or NID 4E and all.

DDA
We have a team!!, Could be the beginning of something great! More later.
Best to all!
Walt, any word on day of the trap shoot-out? How many targets?

DDA
Hello Don, I am trying to contact them to get details. Back to you and the 'gang' asap.
50 trap targets Sunday 25th of October. Parker has a team selection process, I guess each make has their own selection method. Look at DeepRiver Sporting Clays web site, link to both the Spring and Fall Southern SxS

Boats
Here it is from the Parker Club site, Not exactly as I said last post. No shoot off on Sunday, team score is built from the best qualifying targets TFS. Prizes are awarded on Sunday.

Parker vs LC Smith Trap Challenge Event-

This event will be run exactly as last year. 50 target qualifier with winning team chosen by the top 5 highest qualifying scores from each team. There will not be a shoot-off for the Trap Challenge.

Qualifying -One can attempt to qualify as many times as desired, with your highest score being your qualifying attempt. Qualifying will begin Thursday morning, and conclude Saturday afternoon in conjunction with the end of qualifying for the 5 Stand Challenge event.

Fees-

Target Fees- 5 Stand Challenge, 30 targets each, $15.00 per attempt, Thurs, Fri, Sat.
Hammer-Gun Challenge, 30 targets, $15.00 per attempt, Sunday only
Trap Challenge, 50 targets each, $25.00 per attempt., Thurs, Fri, Sat.

Event Entry/Trophy Fees- Each shooter must pay a single entry/trophy fee of $15.00 for each of the challenge events in which they participate. For example, if a shooter was to participate in both the Trap and 5-stand Challenges, they would have to pay a single entry fee of $30.00, regardless of how many times they attempted to qualify.

UnQuote

Boats
Thanks, Boats. That will work.

SRH
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com