doublegunshop.com - home
My story begins in the town of St. Etienne, probably sometime in the 1930's...

A set of 300 series 16 ga barrels is produced, and brought to the point in finishing where they would be fitted to the gun. They never are, never sent out for proof, nor graded. The only marks left by the factory are the finished bore sizes.

The company that made them goes out of business 50 years later, and the barrels languish, unused, heaven knows where, for another 30 or 40 years.

They show up on a French auction site almost three years ago, where they go unsold for six months. Not wanting to alter the original barrel set on my 314, I
make the seller an offer, and promise to walk him through the export/customs labyrinth.

About two months later, they rest in my safe near the gun they will be mated to. A ruff grouse hunt last Fall ramps up the need for an open set of barrels, and Kirk Merrington fits them to my 314, opens the chokes, and does some fine tuning on the extractor. They perform wonderfully on the North Shore of Superior and pheasants in SoDak. They are left in Nebraska with an up and coming engraver, with the final step in their journey a trip to Utah and PA24's blacking magic. Some of you have seen the pics of the finished barrels.

Their long and labor intensive travels almost over, Doug repacks them and, per my instructions, sends them on their way back to me FedEx ground. We watch their progress on the tracking site all the way to DFW Airport, where, inexplicably, they appear to turn around and head back to the hub South of Dallas. Several calls and layers of FedEx employees later, a Customer Advocacy Team (CAT) member assures me she has them stopped, and they will be delivered the next day.

The next morning, I check tracking, and it's on a truck out for delivery. Checking later in the afternoon, lo and behold, it is headed to the hub. Next CAT member painfully informs me that it did not get stopped, it is loaded in a trailer, and headed back to Utah. More conversations. I am assured that a "trap"
is set for it at the hub in North Salt Lake. Doug and I watch the tracking all the way back, where it is indeed stopped in North Salt Lake, and sent on its way for the second time back to DFW. The morning of scheduled delivery, it is in Irving (DFW) and on a truck "out for delivery." It is supposed to be held at the local FedEx Office for pick up, as I do not want it left on the porch. I go into the local FedEx Office at around 10:00, give a brief history, and they take my phone number promising a call when it arrives. By about 4:30 there has been no call. I call there, but it just rings and rings. It's only a mile and a half away, so I jump in the truck and observe it is the afternoon/evening crew manning the fort. I ask to see the status as I briefly explain my second visit of the day. While standing at the counter with tracking on the screen, the young man helping me notes that the delivery date just changed to tomorrow, and that it doesn't appear that it ever left Irving. Just then I get a text from Doug saying the delivery date has just changed to 5 days hence, and he thinks it's going back to Utah again!

The employee at the counter confirms the second change in delivery, but can help me no further. Back home, another CAT member gets hold of Irving, and they confirm it is loaded on a trailer, sealed, and headed back to Utah for the second time.

By now I have the FedEx on hold jingle memorized.

I am on a first name basis with Marjorie at CAT in Atlanta.

She has been with the company 35 years.

She has never seen anything like it.

Doug and I agree there is a scan, label, employee- something- that is going wrong in Irving and it needs to be removed as a variable. I ask that my box, UNOPENED, be placed into another new box, and a new label/tracking # be generated, and the package put on a plane and overnighted to my address. Marjorie agrees, Cliff in Utah is clear on the instructions, and Doug and I watch as it goes to Memphis, then Dallas, Irving (ugh!), and on a truck out for delivery. Marjorie calls this morningand says she has talked to dispatch and the driver, and it will be around 3:00 that his route takes him to my area. A little after 3:00 I get a call from Marjorie that the package is on my porch. I ask her if she wants to hold while I open it and check for damage. She does, and Doug calls while I have her on hold and am opening the package- so Doug's call goes to voicemail.

I open the larger package, and inside is- not my original package! Nervous they did in fact take it out and re-pack, I note that the contents are loose, and probably damaged. I open it up and say to Marjorie, "You're not going to believe this."

Here is a pic of what I received this afternoon:

Marjorie is crushed, and asks if I'll hold while she calls Cliff at the North Salt Lake Hub. He admits to somehow packing the wrong item, generates now the third tracking number, and they are bumped up to priority air, supposed to be here before 10:30 tomorrow.

E mail from Doug says, "Barrels are on your porch."

I reply, "No, they aren't. I got a baseball bat, and I'm not kidding."

That's my FedEx story, and I'm stickin' to it.

I'll keep ya posted.

Mike
I mean, I guess I'd have thought French barrels would be better finished than that. Would you think me critical if I said they did baseball bat quality work?

*pause for golf clap*

Ok, chuckles aside...take a deep breath and try to be amused (if nervously). I would be irrate, as I imagine you have been. But this is indeed HIGHLY anomalous, and while it shows there are some holes in FedEx's vaunted system, wherein, when a real human attempts to take back the reigns, the scanners don't allow it...the worst event HASN'T actually yet occurred.

Either way I'm still holding to the opinion that FedEx is better than the "Going Postal Service." I'm betting your adventure, while strange and nerve-racking, will end happily.

I have seen some people advise that the USPS is the preferred way to ship firearms (or "parts," as is the case here) because they pay full dollar, if you've insured it that way. But I would rather roll dice that FedEx is a WAY lower probability of the worst outcome...than "assure" myself with USPS's insurance payout...as the illustrious, industrious, hard working elves otherwise known as "civilian Federal workers" clearly are never a good bet.

It's like playing a very low probability worst outcome vs. a significantly higher probability outcome, but with a check attached. I'd rather the low probability...because NEITHER bad outcome returns your goods.

I trust the USPS to deliver packages safely...about as much I trust Hillary Clinton to deliver a truthful sentence.

Hold your breath...but I think you're going to be ok. If, also owed, a HUGE apology + explanation.

- Nudge
Helluva story. I utilize USPS Registered only these days, insured to the hilt. I once shipped a MEC progressive loader via Fed Ex in the original package with extra packaging around it. The package arrived with a big hole in the side and no contents and they wanted the consignee to sign for the package. I did get my insurance money back, but I had only insured it for $100 (like an idiot). Course I do recall sending a $400 english blank via USPS non insured priority mail to the West Coast from Va. Package arrived with nothing in it with also a big hole in the side. Someone got a helluva nice blank. Registered after that works for me.
You must be a very patient man. When I read the story and saw the bat, all I could think of was the bat scene in The Untouchables with Al Capone (Robert DeNiro) using the bat for an alternative purpose other than the manufacturer's original intent. Or maybe you considered that, too. wink Gil
Oh man, I feel your pain! I had the same thing happen shipping to Doug, only it was USPS ground. My barrels finally showed up about a month later, but only after I went to the local post office on a DAILY basis. I recommend you make inquiry, in person on a daily basis. The squeaky wheel gets the grease.
Someone out there is waiting for there bat.
Originally Posted By: terc
Someone out there is waiting for there bat.

probably has been since April......
One wonders if they have been stolen. Barrel sets on Ebay can sometimes bring some decent money. Certainly more than baseball bats. Let's hope it's not the case, and it's only a shipping SNAFU.
Bat is going back, addressee was someone in North Salt Lake. Some youngster is probably pretty anxious.

Incredulity probably sums up my overall attitude, but I have maintained a sense of humor that Marjorie has repeatedly thanked me for. I told her I hoped someone wasn't using my barrels as a bat somewhere. They've never been lost, but wear on Doug's impeccable finish was a concern with the many thousands of miles they have now logged.

For your amusement, I include a photo of three pages of tracking:
Me thinks this whole ordeal is going to drive you batty...so Fed Ed just decided to help you along?
I'm watching this story, Mike. I hope all turns out well.
Somewhere on a deserted island is a castaway with a FedEx Box with barrels in it, in about 5 years he will deliver them to you personally. wink
Just got 'em- appear undamaged, still wiping the oil off. A little disappointed I didn't get a golf club...
Wow, it just reminds every time I ship a weapon that life is a lottery, some odds worse than others.

SO far I have never lost anything important in the mail or UPS, but there is always the next chance (or do I mean shipment)
Congrats! FedEx came through. Did they offer an explanation/apology?

This was an aberation, for sure. FedEx is my FIRST choice for shipping firearms. UPS is good for other things, but they put more restrictions on for firearms than FedEx.

Forget the USPS, and their insurance. I want the GUN shipped safely...not an insurance check which won't necessarily replace the gun.

- Nudge
My question is have you picked up the gallon of Eezox yet?
Very glad it all worked out in the end mate...jeesus , what a cock up....but you got them .
cheers franc
Wingshooter16, congrats! Glad the barrels finally arrived!

That was some kind of crazy story. I think opening the box and finding a baseball bat would have sent me over the edge. You appear to have handled everything well.
Thanks for all the support and kind words. I've had to learn the hard way- and have by no means arrived- that my anger rarely accomplishes anything, other than to make things worse.

Everyone with Fedex I have talked to has been apologetic, and the only "why" ever mentioned was incompletely blacked out barcodes from the previously used box. Now sitting down to wax/clean/oil them according to Doug's instructions (thus Canvasback's reference to Eezox). Can't wait to use them on dove in a couple weeks.
Great news !
So wingshooter16, will you be using FedEx again anytime soon?

Several times in the past when threads about shipping damage or losses come up, I have mentioned that the only two guns I received with busted stocks were shipped FedEx. I have also received several more with big holes in the box or signs of obvious rough handling. The box that your barrels came in looks like it was tossed around some. Then there are the famous YouTube videos of the FedEx driver tossing a flat screen TV over a tall iron fence. No delivery service can be 100% perfect, but FedEx seems to be the worst.

Yet some people still swear by FedEx. I just don't get it.
The bat looked like a good one!

John
None of them are perfect, but FEDEX seems to be the least imperfect. I paid almost $50 to ship a gun to Maine last week using the U.S. Postal Service. For nearly that same price, FEDEX would of had it there in 2 to 3 days, instead of the week plus the postal service needed. That's much more time in a system to allow for problems to develop. Insurance pay-outs will work for some shipments, but sometimes an item is simply irreplaceable (like maybe certain shotgun tubes?). In that case, I'd use the shipper that has the least chance of a screw-up, and FEDEX is still the better bet.
"incompletely blacked out barcodes from the previously used box"

Bingo!! Although not quite as involved and certainly not as valuable, I had a similar incident occur and the explanation was exactly the same!! Although it is easy to criticize and get angry, when it comes down to the Optical readers/bar code readers, etc that everyone now uses in the semi-automated shipping process it does at least make these things a bit easier to understand. For that very reason, I now ensure beyond a shadow of doubt that if I use an pre-used box the old codes, etc. are completely obliterated.
I have had a number of antique/vintage items shipped to mke not related to firearms. though I have not kept an exact count probably about an equal number arrived via USPS, UPS & Fed-EX.
To date the number of damaged/broken items are;
USPS = 0
UPS = 0
Fed-EX = 3
I did receive full reimbursement for all of them. These items were not necessarily rare or overly expensive, but still on anything which predates 1900 it gives you great disappointment to open a package & see it broken in half.
Maybe, Just "Maybe", but I seriously doubt that all the lousy packers just happened to pick Fed-Ex as their shipper.
One item did go to the wrong place, but that one was not Fed-Ex's fault, the shipper had placed the wrong address on it.
Right now thou from my personal experience my choices for a shipper are USPS #1, UPS #2 & Fed-EX a distant 3rd.

In the white as I viewed them on the French auction site:
I see why you were worried. That's a pretty gun and the barrels sure turned out nice. I'm glad you had a happy ending.
Wonderful barrels. Bobby
I shipped some 'nearly impossible to find' car parts via FedEx. There were about 11 items in the box. When it arrived, there were only 3 - and two of those were not even car parts at all. Plus
the box was not the one I used. The jamokes at FedEx never lifted a finger to locate the parts...lost forever.

Of course, I don't mean to slam FedEx...they suck no more than UPS or USPS. It's like they have a running suck-contest going on and each year they strive to win the prize.
Please treat us to a photo of the entire gun. Nice engraving on the breach balls and the Manufrance swamped rib is also very appealing. Hats off to Doug for the great job on the barrels.
Gil
Originally Posted By: GLS
Please treat us to a photo of the entire gun. Nice engraving on the breach balls and the Manufrance swamped rib is also very appealing. Hats off to Doug for the great job on the barrels.
Gil

I have some great pics with the smart phone, but for the first time ever I can't e mail them to myself to post. Tried for two hours today. Just took these three with the little point and shoot so I could get some pics up. Trying to get it figured out, will get some better shots up.

Mike
Ooh. Aah. Have you sent pics to Doug Larson?
Yes
I had UPS break the neck on a guitar during shipment. How that could happen with a guitar in a hard case inside a shipping box is beyond me. I recently ordered some Land Rover parts, a serpentine belt and an idler pulley. The box arrived with the belt and an idler pulley-sized hole in the side of the box. This shipper packs things really well, so another mystery. I've come to realize that not everyone along the chain of a business transaction is honest or even minimally caring. That doesn't mean everyone is a crook or uncaring. It just takes one in the chain somewhere.

I'm glad all turned out well, Mike.

David
Barrels look nice. Is the bat for sale? Payment for your troubles.
Some opined it was sent to take out my frustrations, with suggested targets. Size of the bat said it was for a youngster, so back it went with my blessings.

Happy ending, just another lesson in delayed gratification. My grade 5 Ideal has made it across the pond from France, and I finally get to start the paperwork to take ownership. Only took a year and a half to get it this far, so the wait on the barrels was minor. They didn't lose or damage them, so it's all good. Going to see if I can post a photo or link to the PM "department" of the French auction site, and send the seller a pic of them finished.
I would be interested to hear from the bashers of USPS telling us how many snafus they have experienced using USPS Registered Mail.
I've sent 40 or 50 guns USPS some registered some priority, buyers choice. never had a single problem
Originally Posted By: Mike Harrell
I've sent 40 or 50 guns USPS some registered some priority, buyers choice. never had a single problem

Ditto on Registered. I've sent almost all my guns via Registered USPS. No issues. When I was a Govie, we sent all important equipment including some rather sensitive items all over the US via Registered Mail. It does take longer, but it is tracked all the way.

I'm with Mike and tut and eightbore on USPS Priority Mail. I have shipped guns via USPS for well over 30 years with zero problems and only use other shipping companies when requested by customers. I always recommend USPS Priority Mail Insured.

Priority U.S. Mail is a Registered Mail product of the U.S. Post Office and generally arrives in three days or less within the lower 48. The USPS Priority Mail pricing schedule is very reasonable in my opinion.

I use Priority U.S. Mail for International shipments as well. Priority Mail transfers to the equal product in the receiving country, which is usually their version of Priority Mail.

Here is a pic of the box my gun came in from USPS priority mail, and why I refuse to use them:

So soaking wet and coming apart they wouldn't deliver it- had to go pick it up, and it was in a large plastic garbage bag.

To each their own.
As I understand it, Priority and Registered are two different animals. Am I right or wrong?

Originally Posted By: eightbore
As I understand it, Priority and Registered are two different animals. Am I right or wrong?

According to the Post Office Priority Mail is REGISTERED MAIL with tracking etc. I have asked this same question multiple times and they have confirmed Priority Mail is a Registered Mail Service.

Originally Posted By: wingshooter16
Here is a pic of the box my gun came in from USPS priority mail, and why I refuse to use them:

So soaking wet and coming apart they wouldn't deliver it- had to go pick it up, and it was in a large plastic garbage bag.

To each their own.

Mike, it looks like you have a packing problem with whoever packed that box.

This is why I ALWAYS PACK IN A PVC WATERPROOF SHIPPING TUBE, WRAPPED AND TAPED WITH A 100% PURE COTTON BATH TOWEL and recommend others do the same.

It's your money and everyone can do it the way they want, crying towels are cheap.

Hey Doug, that looks like my tube!!

All kidding aside, I think Doug is right about packing method. I will never again ship barrels that are not packed as he just described, in PVC pipe. Even when I'm sending the whole gun in a box, the barrels go in a pipe.

And in future I will be doing my best to convince any shipper of a gun to me, to back them the same way.

That way, whether it is Fedex or the Postal Serviceor whoever, the gun stands a very good chance of arriving unharmed.

Then the only issue is does it arrive!
Originally Posted By: PA24

According to the Post Office Priority Mail is REGISTERED MAIL with tracking etc. I have asked this same question multiple times and they have confirmed Priority Mail is a Registered Mail Service.

My understanding is both are tracked and provide delivery confirmation, but registered mail actually requires a signed off chain of custody and is shipped in locked containers.

""Registered mail service is offered by the United States Postal Service as an extra service for First Class or Priority Mail shipments. Registered Mail provides end-to-end security in locked containers. Registered Mail custody records are maintained, but are not normally provided to the customer, unless a claim is filed"
The last time I used it the postal clerk redid my package and put sealer tape on all the openings as well as requiring me to redo the address label.
When I have shipped Registered mail, it is required that the package be sealed with paper tape so the post office can use their rubber stamp and stamp every seam to insure no one has opened the package and either removed or tampered with the contents.

As I mentioned earlier when I was a govie we shipped items using Registered Mail that were extremely sensitive because they could be tracked by signature every step of the way.

Priority Mail in itself doesn't not provide that level of protection.

When in doubt my old boss always told me to follow the regs:

From the regs:

Secret information may be transmitted by:

d. U.S. Postal Service registered mail within and between the 50 States, the District of Columbia, and the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico;

f. U.S. Postal Service registered mail through Army, Navy, or Air Force Postal Service facilities outside the United States and its Territories, provided that the information does not at any time pass out of U.S. citizen control and does not pass through a foreign postal system or any foreign inspection.

In the governments eyes, Registered is a pretty good way to make sure your items are getting from one location to the other safely.
Doug,

No argument with a PVC pipe. For barrels.

Not clear by the pic is the fact that it is a large rectangular box, containing a two barrel set s x s in a leather case. Not easy to get that in a PVC pipe. Fortunately, I also had the canvas cover on it, and everything was OK despite obvious incompetence/negligence/belligerence on the part of USPS, as this box was left out in the rain, or set in a gutter full of water, or some similar dock monkey behavior. Other than Cliff packing the the bat instead of the barrels, I suspect my FedEx foibles were more technological than human.
Thanks for clarifying what most of us already know, Priority Mail is not Registered Mail. If a package is lost in Registered Mail, they have a name to attach to the "problem". Priority Mail doesn't quite rise to that level.

Thanks for clarifying what most of us already know, Priority Mail is not Registered Mail. If a package is lost in Registered Mail, they have a name to attach to the "problem". Priority Mail doesn't quite rise to that level.

Originally Posted By: cpa

""Registered mail service is offered by the United States Postal Service as an extra service for First Class or Priority Mail shipments.

You're NOT paying attention Murphy........either First Class OR Priority Mail can be Registered.

Doug is correct. I send things Registered all the time and I have a choice, 1st class or Priority. Registered Priority is usually 3 days or so to either coast from here in the center of the country. The best part about Registered mail is how low cost the insurance is. On a high dollar gun the savings can be substantial.
Only issues with FedEx for me. Nothing big, but too much inconvenience and follow up on my part. No issues with UPS or USPS.
Looks like the saga continues- bought something off e bay that I really need for dove opener. I've been watching for it, checked on its delivery status. Says it was delivered FedEx ground or SmartPost Wednesday, the same day they were supposed to come get the bat...

You don't think...
You are a forgiving and patient man.

SRH
Must of been one of those drone deliveries we've been hearing about. Look up on the roof...Geo
UPS just delivered a package to another fellow in my town and he brought it by my house yesterday. It showed delivered on the tracking but I didn't have it. Was wondering what happened and then he showed up. The amazing thing is we have the same house number but live on totally different streets. This isn't he first time UPS has done that unfortunately.
Now for the rest of the story. At last re-telling ( My Post Master and Fed-Ex Conflict Resolution representative) the current low bidder for cross country air USPS Priority Mail has been FED-EX. Lowest bidder for Express Mail and Registered Mail has been UPS. Here in Tygh Valley,OR some packages from UPS and Fed-Ex are delivered to USPS and they deliver it to me. I live 1.75 miles from the Post Office on the main Street. All my drivers for each service and I are on first name status. I would trust any of them with my children. However, each system has bad eggs amongst the good. Me thinks Mike has found one?
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com