doublegunshop.com - home
Makes you kinda glad your AH Fox barrels are Chromox and Sterlingworth steel.
Still mad at the loss of Sir Lancelot Holland?
I like to bring this back to the top again - think some of you missed it. Or some, just wanted to thumb by it. Krupp, was barrel maker, with a sorted life.
Make any difference to you?
Posted By: builder Re: History International Channel, and Krupp - 04/17/07 11:31 PM
Lowell,
Yes!
Posted By: rabbit Re: History International Channel, and Krupp - 04/17/07 11:53 PM
By sorted (sordid?) life do you perhaps mean that some particular Krupp was a man of no principle and low morals or do you use the name Krupp as a counter for the rep. of Krupp industries as "merchants of death"? What difference should it make? Should I be uncomfortable owning a Fox gun with the "infamous" name on the barrels. The duPonts received similar "praise" as suppliers of war materiel. Stopped shooting Red Dot? Thrown out your wall to wall carpet? Was some Krupp a barrelmaker? I thought Krupp in Essen made the stuff that made the barrels better. Short answer: no it doesn't.

jack
Krupp is a famous steel maker, they made all kinds of barrels, rifle, shotgun and were very famous for their cannon barrels. Those barrels had a strong chance of being aimed at the allies but they were quality.
bill
Yes your right Rabbit, sordid was the word I was looking for.
But!
Krupp, "the Nazi Industrialist"(their words) did time for his war crimes.
Bad business, he was!
Very much suggest "The Arms Of Krupp" by William Manchester. Very long, but very good read. It'll tell you lots more about Krupp than you ever knew.
Put it into a nutshell Chief, tell me something good!
This could keep me from going up-the-pecking order of AH Fox guns only. I could give a hang about the rest of his barrels.
Posted By: rabbit Re: History International Channel, and Krupp - 04/18/07 04:19 AM
Lowell, we're trying to tell you something good. High-quality steel in the barrels of your--let's see--probably pre-1914 graded Fox. At that time, the AEP hadn't even mixed it with Kaiser Willy; Nazism had its "springtime" in the hard times after Versailles and war reparations. Whatever the chronology of when and who dun it, if you have an "animist" reaction to every object associated with the tangled course of human strife, you'll never rest! Gotta grab the bull by the horns, buddy; the only cure is an Arisaka cheek to jowl with the Beeze in the safe.

jack
It leaves more of the best for you Rabbit!
Posted By: cloffe Re: History International Channel, and Krupp - 04/18/07 12:09 PM
And the Coca-Cola Company made huge business in Germany during the war, came up with the Fanta brand to please the Germans. IBM made proto-computer machines that processed the data for the holocaust. Henry Ford was closely linked to Nazi Germany and the entire U.S. space program was founded on the knowledge of ex- Nazi German scientists like Werner von Braun.

German companies like Mercedes and BMW of course made cars and vehicles for the Wehrmacht and the SS. The Porsche designed Volkswagen Beetle was made for the people of the Third Reich.

We Swedes sold iron and steel to Nazi Germany during the entire war and we were payed with gold stolen from deported jews. We even let nazi troops go through our country by train to Norway.

So, you can't drink Coca-cola, Sprite or Fanta, Can't buy Ford, Mercedes, BMW, or Volkswagen cars, you have to hate NASA and the Swedish Rail Company. Don't buy guns with Swedish steel and don't use computers and yes, Winchesters were used aginst native Americans during 19th century, can't buy them. The Birmingham Gun Trade made huge amounts of guns for the slave trade, forget Webley & Scott, Greener and Westley Richards. Holland & Holland, Boss and Purdey sold guns to British imperialistic noblemen and soldiers responsible for mass murders around the world. And for Gods sake don't even think about buying a Mauser rifle!
Don't buy anything Bayer either.
Don't worry, I'm sure Thorny only drives American. Buick, no doubt. Definitely not Porsche he designed certain turrent for Tiger tank!
Oh yes, Swedes sent plenty of 'Sandvik' across the Baltic.
Posted By: 2-piper Re: History International Channel, and Krupp - 04/18/07 03:21 PM
Do you know for a fact your "Chromox and Sterlingworth" bbls were "Not Made from Krupp Steel". These are simply generic names applied by Fox, not necessarily related to maker. It is my understanding that Krupp, never actually "Made" shotgun bbls. They did supply the steel a lot of shotgun bbls were made from. All Fox would have to have done when the Name Krupp fell from favor following WWI was change their stamp. No one the wiser, as the old saying goes you know; "What You Don't Know, Won't Hurt you". Previously the name Krupp had demanded respect as a high quality steel & is found on bbls of a number of US makers of the era.
Posted By: NiklasP Re: History International Channel, and Krupp - 04/18/07 03:33 PM
What Cloffe said!!

And don't forget all the help USA and USA companies gave to Communinst Russia, all those guns and trucks and Lend Lease. And all the world's problems that can be traced to British colonialism.

Hope that "farm" in State of Missoury is TOTALLY self sufficient, with homespun wool, cast iron and plenty of flints and sulfer and KNO3, and lead mine, and....... And what are you doing on the nefarious Internet?

Niklas
Originally Posted By: ChiefShotguns
Very much suggest "The Arms Of Krupp" by William Manchester. Very long, but very good read. It'll tell you lots more about Krupp than you ever knew.

Highly recommended read!!
Posted By: Chuck H Re: History International Channel, and Krupp - 04/18/07 04:18 PM
The computer components in these things are made all over the world. Probably some commie China parts in them too. Even the Amish that chose to put their collective heads in the sand are not immune from the effects of globalization.

So, if you're serious about not using things made by countries, companies, etc that you have a grudge against, it's gonna be a tough row to hoe.

What the f%@( are we talking about here? The Krupp company of the '20s doesn't exist any longer. Not buying a 80 yr old Fox because it has a component from a company owned by a guy that played along with his country's regiem 70 yrs ago and participated in some bad things, will not make a squat bit of difference to me, certainly. And anyone in their right mind wouldn't harbor any ill feeling toward someone that did buy an 80 yr old Fox with Krupp barrels....of course there's always those not in their right mind.

How about if the Krupp steel was recycled? If there was some recycled Krupp steel in your doorknobs? If the George Bush aircraft carrier had traces of recycled Krupp steel from a WW2 ship, what should we do? So many questions....so little sense.
OK, Rabbit. I loved your comment. I'm whistling and smiling as I rip out my wall to wall carpet.
F. Krupp was a genius at self promotion. The guy was the WW Greener of steel.

U.S. railroads were built with German steel. Why? Germany had steel mills, we didn't.... yet.

Another nazi company was Bayer, known today for overpriced asprin. Somebody has to pay for the advertising...
Next thing you know we'll be having reasons for not buying French steel and another 20 pages of Frog bashing. Pick on the Belgians instead, they are just trampled by everyone. No reason to bash them. Dr. Dozier sends with his usual high regards
I have one with 24" barrel marked Krupp Special Barrel Steel & 3 rings. The best steel from He Nan money can buy, no doubt.
When you see those "olympic rings" on DDR Merkel. Them barrels were made from CCCP steel, so keep those well oiled, or....
Posted By: Chuck H Re: History International Channel, and Krupp - 04/18/07 07:15 PM
Dr. D, well justa be on the safe side, 'might otta keep away from them Belgian things too. 'Mighta been a Krupp klaberator in the mix somewhere
Have you tried 'Radial Stahl Rohr', 'Roechlings Elektro-Spezialstahl'. Don't get caught in a thrunderstorm with that Elektro stuff, I heard it's unforgiving! You end up dark and crispy like Wiley the coyote of WB fame!
Posted By: Chuck H Re: History International Channel, and Krupp - 04/18/07 07:27 PM
If someone wants the Krupp book, they're welcome to my copy.
Posted By: rabbit Re: History International Channel, and Krupp - 04/18/07 10:19 PM
And I luv Chuck's comment about smelting. We used to joke that there were little bits of Wilkinson swords and lend-lease freighters in our Reynolds 531 lugged steel frames (bike that is).

Lowell, you also gotta remember the winners write the history. Harry Truman would have been pronounced an "enemy of mankind" if the other foot had got shod.

jack
If using some ex-nazi steel didn't bother the Isrealis then why should I get wound up? I have a milsurp Isreali Mauser in .308, rebarrelled on a WWII German mauser. The waffen eagle proof marks are still there, along with the Isreali marks in Hebrew. (Unlike the Yugoslavian Nazi Mauser that Tito's guys captured. They ground off ALL the markings and then stamped some impressive commie stuff on there. I guess a gun that was once nazi then commie is a real LG no-no.
The purge began with the Merkel #8(back-up, to the back-up) then Audi turbo and Anschutz 1710. All very bang-bang-bang - I was moved!
dozier, the Frenchman's Guyot was already gone by this time!
You just gotta do it!
cloffe old chap!
One must pick his fights one at a time - and this being a fine gun bbs.
Icons from dark places and times, well... you can have 'em!
I'll take something a bit more cheery.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com