doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Ithaca5E Consistancy of choke profiles - 09/10/15 03:34 PM
While another thread is discussing choke modifications, I am stuck here wondering why different barrels from the same manufacturer exhibit different profiles. In the years that I have been measuring chokes (in older guns) I have gotten to the point where can I recognize some generalities of choke profile characteristics from some makers, but as of yet I have not seen identical profiles for two identically marked constrictions (i.e., full and full, same maker). Each seems to have been a piece of work unto its own. Any insight or comments?
Posted By: Mark II Re: Consistancy of choke profiles - 09/11/15 01:20 PM
From my measurements, most seem to have a 2 inch or less taper, and few have much if any parallel. Exceptions have been a Winchester Heavy Duck Model 12 that had 4" taper and a Belgian guild gun I just got in to open the chokes, where the taper was 6" long. Don't know what kind of patterns it threw before alteration as I didn't have time to shoot it before modifications were made. Just my experiences. MkII
Posted By: KY Jon Re: Consistancy of choke profiles - 09/11/15 01:51 PM
As choke reamers wore out they changed size and shape. Choke a thousand barrels you'd change too. Add in equipment changes and human factors. I've had barrels choked one way and pattern another. Choke numbers are a guide but no substitute for a lot of pattern board work.
Posted By: David Williamson Re: Consistancy of choke profiles - 09/11/15 04:39 PM
"I've had barrels choked one way and pattern another. Choke numbers are a guide but no substitute for a lot of pattern board work."

Bingo. Choke designations are just figures. For every different shell manufacture will all shoot different.

Always get a chuckle when someone posts on here that they bought a gun that is choked such and such, have not even received it and want to know who can open the chokes.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com