doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Joe Wood How many early members are here? - 01/05/16 02:11 PM
Thousands of people have registered on the BBS over the years. Who all is left of the "early bunch", say 100 or less? I think it's going to be a short list.

Joe Wood #69
Posted By: gunut Re: How many early members are here? - 01/05/16 02:15 PM
#10.....I remember they changed servers or something on that date and everybody had to re-register....cant remember how long I was here B4 that....read quite a bit but don't post a whole lot...

have been posting more the last 1 1/2 years....retired
Posted By: L. Brown Re: How many early members are here? - 01/05/16 02:26 PM
#92 here. I remember Oscar, Russ, Larry Barnes . . . we've lost a lot of good ones. Back then, I think this was pretty much the only place to come to talk doubles. There was also a pretty strong "Damascus roulette" contingent back in those days.

Anyone remember the old alloutdoors BB?
Posted By: Ian Nixon Re: How many early members are here? - 01/05/16 02:29 PM
gunut - +1
I try to keep it positive and contribute from my limited shotgun experience. But I did get on the case of the gent from Nova Scotia who PRESUMED to speak for all Canadians "back in the day".
Posted By: steve voss Re: How many early members are here? - 01/05/16 02:40 PM
How do you figure out what number you are?
Posted By: gunut Re: How many early members are here? - 01/05/16 02:51 PM
Originally Posted By: steve voss

click on your name/profile......but it doesn't matter 4 U you didn't reenlist until the 3rd of January..... with a number of 306...not even close to an old-timer??.... whistle
Posted By: Birdog Re: How many early members are here? - 01/05/16 03:05 PM
#643-here since 22/01/02 and I think 1995 on the old board.

Happy New Year to all.
Posted By: bill schodlatz Re: How many early members are here? - 01/05/16 03:23 PM
I have been here sense at least 2001, I can remember when Oscar called me and told me about this site.

bill
Posted By: Daryl Hallquist Re: How many early members are here? - 01/05/16 03:28 PM
Daryl Hallquist #6
Posted By: Cary Re: How many early members are here? - 01/05/16 03:53 PM
Originally Posted By: steve voss

Just look at your profile.

The board has evolved several times requiring reregistration. I'm now #11, was #10 and have no idea what I was prior to that but I seem to remember Pete Hiatt and Russ Ruppell celebrating member #500.
Posted By: KY Jon Re: How many early members are here? - 01/05/16 04:26 PM
I have had to register several times over the years. Computers crashed, pass words stopped working or system changed. #357 was my number when I registered after the system change. Don't know what number I had before that. I viewed only for months before I posted. I missed the great 16 ga. Flaming war of the first year. If you were on back then you might remember what I am talking about. We had misfires before we had miss fires. Pete Hyatt might remember them. He was another very early poster. Perhaps back to about a 1,000 post or earlier.

And we have lost a lot of great posters but we have also gained many excellent posters. So perhaps we should recognize the new as we remember those no longer here. And some of those not here are still alive they have chosen not to post for a variety of reasons.
Posted By: Researcher Re: How many early members are here? - 01/05/16 04:29 PM
I'm member #130 on this "new" board. The first thread I saved my response to on the old board was #5303. Our first home computer had Windows 98, so I wasn't around in the real early days.
Posted By: kirkp Re: How many early members are here? - 01/05/16 04:30 PM
#18405 here so definitely a newby. What I find interesting is that there are only 12567 members.

Still a great forum.

Kirk
Posted By: Franc Otte Re: How many early members are here? - 01/05/16 04:33 PM
Joe
I got on the "New" board in 2001..#46,was on the old one for a couple of years (?)..not sure of old #
Id just bought my first sxs, a Francotte from La Becasse that looked awesome but had some internal problems that it seemed Jack didn't know about,found the old board & due to some advice I sent it to a well known "smith in CT...he got me out of the gun after talking to Jack, as it was really a disaster internally.So you older guys saved me a nice bit of cash with your help...thanks.I remember Russ, owleye,Wilhelm,Old Fire starter (?)
& would remember a bunch more if I saw the names, but getting
memory fuzz.
Itruly enjoy this site, & have checked in at least once a day for at least the last 16 years...wow , how time flys, or is it flies,lol!

cheers
fanc
Posted By: Franc Otte Re: How many early members are here? - 01/05/16 04:36 PM
I remember Pete Hyatt, dealt in wood n hated Win 21's,lol
Posted By: Cary Re: How many early members are here? - 01/05/16 04:55 PM
Originally Posted By: Franc Otte
I remember Pete Hyatt, dealt in wood n hated Win 21's,lol

Haven't talked to Pete in a few years but to my knowledge he still runs a lumber yard for guns. Never discussed model 121's with him. He was known to throw bombs.
Posted By: paul buchanan Re: How many early members are here? - 01/05/16 04:57 PM
Somehow I think I originally started in about 1997.
Posted By: ithaca1 Re: How many early members are here? - 01/05/16 05:02 PM
I was on the board in 03/04 but had to re-register when I got back on in 14. Guess I was away to long. Happy to be back though. I currently have a Flues stocked with wood from Pete H and if memory serves me, my GR2 28ga Flues came from Jack at La Becasse.
Posted By: KY Jon Re: How many early members are here? - 01/05/16 05:08 PM
Russ (klunkmeister) hated ithacas, old fire was old lightin. We have had our share of haters back then but they hated things not each other. Well they did get on your case sometimes but nothing as personal as now.

I've bought a few stocks from Pete and always been very happy with them. Back in the dark ages, you could email him with what you wanted and he would make a vhs tape of it and send it to you. Best part was it came wrapped in brown paper and for all the world looked like your were getting an X rated movie in the mail. Now he can send pictures of things in an email the same day.
Posted By: Perry M. Kissam Re: How many early members are here? - 01/05/16 05:29 PM
Number 37 here. This number was the result of a long ago re-organization or something like that. I had been a member on this board for several years prior to that since I think around 1993 or 1994, somewhere near that. I have fond memories of Dr. Oscar Gaddy, Russ Ruppel (der klunkermeister??) and many others. This has been and continues to be THE board I visit seeking answers to my gun questions or for just general gun knowledge that is possessed by the members here. BTW, I "may" actually get to attend the Beinfield Show this month in Vegas. Perhaps I will see some of you there. I will be the white haired individual walking around with an empty wallet and eyes bulging out of my head looking at the treasures to be seen there!! I will also be dropping in at my friend Ron Peterson's table from time to time.
Posted By: Bob Blair Re: How many early members are here? - 01/05/16 05:53 PM
I was #219 on re-registration but I remember the old board before you had to do much of a registration. What a free-for-all! Ol' Lightening was one of my favorites but never got to go down and participate in the Top-O-Tejas Chicken Chase with him. And then there was the Laird of Glenthorne Manor who none of us ever got to meet either.......
Posted By: Jagermeister Re: How many early members are here? - 01/05/16 06:12 PM
While I do not have low member # I have been here for real long time. I remember guys like: Tuomo, John Mann, Lowell Glenthorne, Klunkermaister, Geno, JimmyW..... I'm pretty sure my first post was about certain Winchester. It was answered by Ole' Cowboy now sadly gone.
Posted By: Ian Nixon Re: How many early members are here? - 01/05/16 06:20 PM
Since we're tripping down Memory Lane, my mind(?) wandered to goode tymes LONG PAST when the occasional spoof was pulled on the unsuspecting. I best liked the one from the rustic outback somewhere in heartland who needed help with his SxS. Someone finally smelled a rat and the jig was up. ID of suspectd perp will remain a question mark - no names/no pack-drill, as I believe he still posts here on occasion when he "downs tools" and comes up for air.
Posted By: Norm Re: How many early members are here? - 01/05/16 06:26 PM

John Mann did the April Fool prank
Posted By: Bob Blair Re: How many early members are here? - 01/05/16 06:31 PM
Originally Posted By: Norm

John Mann did the April Fool prank

And it was a real classic! Tolley the Sheperd......
Posted By: Wonko the Sane Re: How many early members are here? - 01/05/16 06:32 PM
I'm 228 at the re-org. I was around several years before that at least. Had a couple other handles thanks to crashes, etc, so I don't know how far back it really goes.

Certainly a number of now missing ones that were interesting. Traded mucho damascus pix with Oscar. Spent hrs BSing with Bill Wise. Got to meet a few at Vegas and other places. Ah, well.

have another day
Dr.WtS
Posted By: Perry M. Kissam Re: How many early members are here? - 01/05/16 06:56 PM
Are you going to the Beinfield show this year Charles?
i'm #72 but was on the old board for a few years at least but no that much of an old timer, still a kid at 52.
Do remember the old board with fondness before some trolls stated making it unpleasant and chased off Fanjoi or whatever his name was.
Don't post much unless I have something useful to contribute
really miss Old Cowboy, thought he was hilarious....
Posted By: JayCee Re: How many early members are here? - 01/05/16 08:21 PM
I'm #195 from January the 2nd, 2002.
Was on the old board at least for a couple of years.
Lots of members I miss, Owleye, John Mann, Jim Legg, Oscar Gaddy......many more!
I realise how time flies. It's like a roll of toilet paper, the less there is left the quicker it unrolls!

JC
Posted By: L. Brown Re: How many early members are here? - 01/05/16 09:10 PM
Got to meet Ole Cowboy in person at the Flatwater shoot. Great guy . . . but I loved to pull his chain every now and then about Winchesters. When I wrote an article on Model 23's, he very graciously supplied me with catalogs, etc. Matter of fact, various other folks here have been good resources. Walt Snyder, when I wrote on Ithacas and on their relationship with SKB, would be another one.
Posted By: bobski Re: How many early members are here? - 01/05/16 09:51 PM
i was here since 2000/2001 ish.
just got back in after a decade + of computer issues.
Posted By: Brian Re: How many early members are here? - 01/05/16 10:01 PM
I didn't realize I was that "old". hell Joe is older than me in real years!!!
Posted By: KY Jon Re: How many early members are here? - 01/05/16 10:10 PM
Brian it's not that you are that old, or not just that. You signed up quickly after the last major system software change. Must have been within hours on the first day. I think the post before that change and ids were locked or not able to transfer to the new system.

Far be it from me to call anyone here old. Well a few served with Custer, Pershing, Patton. Come to think of it I know one here who did have Patton as a general. My late uncle did also and always said he might have been a SOB but he did not waste men like others did or they all did in WWI. What a waste.
Posted By: Utah Shotgunner Re: How many early members are here? - 01/05/16 11:27 PM
#32 after the re-registration.

Can't remember when I first signed up. I have found posts under my previous username "Marksman" via the Way Back Machine in late '96.
Posted By: B. Dudley Re: How many early members are here? - 01/06/16 12:07 AM
Originally Posted By: bobski

You must have a Microsoft product.
55 for wsnyder
Posted By: VictoryXC Re: How many early members are here? - 01/06/16 12:43 AM
Originally Posted By: B. Dudley
Originally Posted By: bobski

You must have a Microsoft product.

Now that was very funny!

Best regards,
# 23,368
Posted By: Dave Weber Re: How many early members are here? - 01/06/16 12:50 AM
I consider myself an early member...;-)
Posted By: Ken Georgi Re: How many early members are here? - 01/06/16 12:59 AM
#16 checking in. I remember the "old board", and if I am not mistaken, there was the "old, old board" before that. Great to see some of the old names . . . Russ Ruppel, Bill Wise, Oscar, . . . .

Ken
Posted By: DoubleTake Re: How many early members are here? - 01/06/16 01:01 AM
I started visiting this place in 1997. I've learned a lot here!
Posted By: Tom Bryant Re: How many early members are here? - 01/06/16 01:20 AM
Don't remember how long, but 2000, at least.
Posted By: postoak Re: How many early members are here? - 01/06/16 03:07 AM
By no means one of the first ones, but I have been around for 13 1/2 years, it is hard to believe it has been that many years.

I met Ole Cowboy through this forum and we became good friends. He left us almost three years to this day.
Posted By: David Re: How many early members are here? - 01/06/16 03:19 AM
It doesn't seem that it could be three years. Ole Cowboy was a genuine character. I ran across his contact information in my email address book the other day and couldn't bear to delete it. There are others in that same category. This was the first online discussion group I joined. I can't remember when. Sometime in the late 1990s.
Posted By: David Re: How many early members are here? - 01/06/16 03:22 AM
How many of us in this topic are Flatwater alums? I sure will miss Flatwater.
Posted By: bobski Re: How many early members are here? - 01/06/16 03:29 AM
yep...win 95, then win 97, then xp. still xp!
hey dave weber!!
since we are on the topic....
....any luck on that request?
Posted By: LGF Re: How many early members are here? - 01/06/16 04:44 AM
# 114, Jan 1, 2002. Found the old board when I had a question about my first shotgun, Brno ZP49, bought in Nairobi in 1979. I rarely post as I know so little, but you guys sure have made me buy a lot of guns since that first question.
Posted By: Bob Blair Re: How many early members are here? - 01/06/16 04:52 AM
We should take action to resurrect Flatwater or something like it. I was talking with the Springfield contingent the other day and we all miss it terribly. Don't know exactly how to start and where we could have the same collegiality as at Grandpa's though.
Posted By: Gregdownunder Re: How many early members are here? - 01/06/16 08:37 AM
2003 according to my profile, but I'm sure it was a year or two before that.
I may have been the first Antipodean :-)

GDU
Posted By: L. Brown Re: How many early members are here? - 01/06/16 12:09 PM
Originally Posted By: KY Jon
Brian it's not that you are that old, or not just that. You signed up quickly after the last major system software change. Must have been within hours on the first day. I think the post before that change and ids were locked or not able to transfer to the new system.

Far be it from me to call anyone here old. Well a few served with Custer, Pershing, Patton. Come to think of it I know one here who did have Patton as a general. My late uncle did also and always said he might have been a SOB but he did not waste men like others did or they all did in WWI. What a waste.

JFK was president when I enlisted, and there were still a lot of WWII vets in uniform back then. I feel very fortunate to have been trained by some of those guys. Likewise, a number of my CIA trainers were OSS vets from WWII.
Posted By: Craig Larter Re: How many early members are here? - 01/06/16 12:23 PM
Member 29 still around but post infrequently Craig Larter. Spend most of my time on the Fox, Parker and LC Smith Forums.
Posted By: Ken Nelson Re: How many early members are here? - 01/06/16 02:02 PM
#427 But have been around since the late 90's.....received a lot of instruction along the way by Russ and others.
Posted By: bbman3 Re: How many early members are here? - 01/06/16 02:33 PM
Joined in 2003 but have a high number. Bobby
#36 for me. Wow, has it been that long?

I miss the humor of "Ole Lightning," and the technical info of Dr. Gaddy.
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: How many early members are here? - 01/06/16 03:13 PM
Number 238, but, have been here since 1997, when I bought a computer. The really amazing thing to me is I am still chugging along with the SAME computer, a Mac G4!
I have wondered if some of the older members we remember just didn't want the trouble of a new computer, and when the old one died or locked up, just thought "screw it", and haven't been seen or heard from since. A few, (Oscar, Russ, Ole Cowboy, John Mann, etc.) I know that isn't the case.
I bought a Tobin from John Mann. When I opened the box, I discovered he was a cigar smoker. I convinced Russ, on the phone, that there was no take-down on his Charlin that didn't involve tools and disassembly. Provided photos for a Larry Brown piece in Shooting Sportsman on French guns to Vic Venters, I think. Watched with sick glee whenever Don and Russ discussed models 21s. John M, the furniture guy, gave Lowell Glenthorne his nickname, "Thorny". John Mann's April Fools joke seemed WAY too good to be true from where I was sitting, at the time, but, a couple guys took the bait and tried to buy the 'Smith from the Amish goat herder, Tolly.
God, it was hilarious as it unfolded.

You had to be there.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: Tim Wolf Re: How many early members are here? - 01/06/16 03:24 PM
#67. Don't visit as much as in the early days but always learn something. As Larry indicated, lots of good folks have passed.
Posted By: lonesome roads Re: How many early members are here? - 01/06/16 03:26 PM
Those old days sound like fun!

Posted By: Harry Sanders Re: How many early members are here? - 01/06/16 04:46 PM
#172 1/2002 - Don't post as much as I used to because a lot of the stuff from the ol' days has become more general knowledge.
Posted By: AmarilloMike Re: How many early members are here? - 01/06/16 07:33 PM
This link should give you a list of members sorted by member number.

http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showmembers&sb=9&page=1&like=-1

Our host Dave Weber shows up as member #2. Wonder who was first?

Tom Moore is member #3

Wayne Nish is #4

george is #5

and so on.

Posted By: Wonko the Sane Re: How many early members are here? - 01/06/16 09:30 PM
Originally Posted By: Perry M. Kissam
Are you going to the Beinfield show this year Charles?

I dunno, Perry. Still sorta Always a tussle trying to rationalize associating with the generally meathead gunshow goers. I'm at the definitely maybe level currently hahaha

Charlie
Posted By: gunny Re: How many early members are here? - 01/06/16 11:12 PM
# 135 and still here thank God!
Posted By: Virginian Re: How many early members are here? - 01/06/16 11:34 PM
Wow, been here since '02. Time do fly.
Posted By: L. Brown Re: How many early members are here? - 01/07/16 12:22 AM
Would be good to do something further south and/or west, to draw in guys less likely to make the Great Northern up in WI (although it's worth the drive, for sure!)
Posted By: L. Brown Re: How many early members are here? - 01/07/16 12:23 AM
Haven't seen anything from Greg Tag in a very long time. I remember he was keeping track of Flues failures (usually cracked frames on the very light 20's).
Posted By: eightbore Re: How many early members are here? - 01/07/16 01:09 AM
#579 and have enjoyed it very much with the exception of one lonely stalker. Dave has done quite a job.
Posted By: Wild Skies Re: How many early members are here? - 01/07/16 02:24 AM
#95 originally and #18321 most recently.
Posted By: David Re: How many early members are here? - 01/07/16 02:48 AM
Many years ago, I mailed a package of Roscoe Tough Spun photographic diffusion material to Dr. Gaddy. I was afraid he was going to set his house on fire using tissue paper over photofloods as diffusion. There was some kind of board discussion on how to light firearms for photography and he'd admitted to using tissue paper over hot lights.

Larry, I assume your comment is in response to Bob Blair and me. I know a great place to hold a risen-from-the-dead Flatwater. Flint Oak. It would cost more than Grandpa's and wouldn't have quite the right vibe, but it would be a great place. I can't be the one to organize it though.
Posted By: postoak Re: How many early members are here? - 01/07/16 04:47 AM
Some day I want to host a Texas version of the late Flatwater, unfortunately I have a lot of other things in the way currently.
Posted By: Cary Re: How many early members are here? - 01/07/16 02:30 PM
Originally Posted By: postoak
Some day I want to host a Texas version of the late Flatwater, unfortunately I have a lot of other things in the way currently.

An old poster, Wilhem Gregor, did exactly that a long time ago. Went over pretty well as I remember.
Posted By: Bob Blair Re: How many early members are here? - 01/07/16 04:33 PM
I keep looking for a place with a similar vibe to Grandpa's and the Springfield guys will host if we can find it around here. Talked to bobski's guy the other day and will check his place out this spring.

Guess we need someplace that doesn't mind liers, a bit of libation after guns are put up, a large and hot grill, a kitchen, stations with poaching of targets allowed, a pick up truck door/rabbit station, small cannon and some limited pistol and rifle capability. Not asking too much is it?
Posted By: Ken61 Re: How many early members are here? - 01/07/16 05:02 PM
I was actively posting in 1993-94, during the time of the first World Trade Center bombing. Dave was unable to retrieve my old info due the system change.
Posted By: David Re: How many early members are here? - 01/07/16 11:07 PM
Originally Posted By: Bob Blair
I keep looking for a place with a similar vibe to Grandpa's and the Springfield guys will host if we can find it around here. Talked to bobski's guy the other day and will check his place out this spring.

Guess we need someplace that doesn't mind liers, a bit of libation after guns are put up, a large and hot grill, a kitchen, stations with poaching of targets allowed, a pick up truck door/rabbit station, small cannon and some limited pistol and rifle capability. Not asking too much is it?

Don't forget potato cannons and the occasional cigar. Speaking of cigars, I haven't heard from Joe Cool in a while.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: How many early members are here? - 01/07/16 11:36 PM
Originally Posted By: Cary
Originally Posted By: postoak

An old poster, Wilhem Gregor, did exactly that a long time ago. Went over pretty well as I remember.

I remember Wilhelm. As I recall, he hunted ducks in very south Texas. He was interested in my duck hunting kayak.

SRH #314 1/03/02
Posted By: David Re: How many early members are here? - 01/08/16 12:52 AM
I remember him. My recollection is he was an Army vet, retired, formerly lived in Alaska for big game hunting, moved to Texas, and hunted birds with doubles. He also bought up old hardware store doubles in good shape and gave them to aspiring shooters who couldn't afford them. Is that the guy?
Posted By: Bob Noble Re: How many early members are here? - 01/08/16 01:53 AM
#24 here
Posted By: Tim Frazier Re: How many early members are here? - 01/08/16 02:18 AM
#662 2nd time around I believe. Time does fly and I really miss some of the guys who have passed on. Note to self... Need to spend more time here!
Posted By: Cary Re: How many early members are here? - 01/08/16 02:52 AM
Originally Posted By: David
I remember him. My recollection is he was an Army vet, retired, formerly lived in Alaska for big game hunting, moved to Texas, and hunted birds with doubles. He also bought up old hardware store doubles in good shape and gave them to aspiring shooters who couldn't afford them. Is that the guy?

That's him. I lost track of him when he moved back to Alaska. Afognak, IIRC. Wanted to stay remote and avoid people. I was going to send him my .375 but never heard from him again.

During the last Texas flooding (about the same time as New Orleans) his home was flooded to the ceilings. Lost everything with no insurance coverage. Lost wife and kids in the turmoil. Headed home to the woods. He was a friend and I miss him.
Posted By: King Brown Re: How many early members are here? - 01/08/16 03:04 AM
He had---has---brains and integrity to burn.
Posted By: Mike Bonner Re: How many early members are here? - 01/31/16 11:37 PM
Sorry to hear Wilhelm had such troubles. I think I joined in 2002, but not sure.
Can't find my number
Posted By: Mike Bonner Re: How many early members are here? - 01/31/16 11:38 PM
David, how come I have 3 stars to your two? No more Flatwater? Pity.I enjoyed those shoots.
Posted By: GD Yankee Re: How many early members are here? - 02/01/16 01:15 AM
#838. I haven't been on the boards in quite a while. I first found the forums in the late 90s about the same time I first picked up a copy of the Double Gun Journal.

Have to say, compared to the vast jungle of blogs, forums, and user comments that has arrived on the web, this forum is a refuge of gentility. Even with the occasional gadflies this has been a wonderful place to share knowledge.

Dave
Posted By: Jerry V Lape Re: How many early members are here? - 02/01/16 04:13 AM
I am number 186 and still miss Ruppel.
Posted By: bay Re: How many early members are here? - 02/04/16 01:24 AM
# 1778 checking in.

I think one of my first post was on an Ithaca Flues 20 gauge. Still learning alot from the members here.

-bay
Posted By: Dennis Potter Re: How many early members are here? - 02/05/16 01:42 PM
Number 12 here, it's been a long, and good time. What ever happened to Tex, and his referral to a "Two Row"?
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: How many early members are here? - 02/06/16 12:28 AM
I've been here since the mid '90s in the doublegun earlier versions. Mention in this thread of some of the old posters who are no longer with us brings back memories of departed friends I never met in person but considered my friends from the contact here. I hope to continue the relationships here for a long time to come...Geo
Posted By: Birdog Re: How many early members are here? - 02/06/16 01:31 AM
Bravo Geo.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: How many early members are here? - 02/06/16 03:07 AM
Geo, glad you're "back in black", buddy.

SRH
Posted By: bobski Re: How many early members are here? - 04/26/16 12:57 PM
amazing some of the old names that surface here. george rose just sent me a pm to say hi. george and I have been on the net for some time and we lost touch.
we were hi standard nuts in our time.
I guess I still am.
good to hear from him again....and it happened here on dg-bbs.
thanks dg.
Posted By: Marc Stokeld Re: How many early members are here? - 04/26/16 01:24 PM
been on here since march '97. server changed in '01 the first time i lived in MN and i did not post for a few months, so i got a high registration number
Posted By: ChiefShotguns Re: How many early members are here? - 04/26/16 02:33 PM
Member number 248, since 1/2/2002. I check in most every day, don't have as much to say anymore as I once did. Still like pre war German guns, though.
Posted By: Mike Bonner Re: How many early members are here? - 04/26/16 03:21 PM
Don't know my number, but I've been on here for quite a while, I was on the earlier board too
I miss Der Klunkmeister and Dr Gaddy

Mikey
Posted By: docbill Re: How many early members are here? - 04/26/16 04:26 PM
My number is f'd up but have been on since 2003.
Posted By: Marc Stokeld Re: How many early members are here? - 04/26/16 07:36 PM
mike-

i also miss der klunk more than i cal say. he and i have emailed a ton and i was fortunate enough to visit his basement...and of course my jaw is still on the floor. anyone who has been there knows what i am talking about.

and actually, one of the guns i won't sell until dead last is from russ. mostly because i first saw it in his basement while visiting with him.

on the first night i logged on here in march '97 i noticed that some guy named "russ" could answer questions about so many different kinds of guns and no matter what the question. plus i am a mechanical engineer and we share a lot of things in common.

never had the pleasure of meeting dr. g. he always told me to call him "oscar", but i guess it was because i went back to grad school to get my masters in mechanical engineering. he helped e with many, many questions that i had. it wan when i was getting started making custom guns i needed"hands-on" help. plus he answered every singly question i had, many of which were purely academic, but they mattered to my young brain in grad school.

this board has helped me become friends with so many people with whom i have broken bread, uncorked bottles, worked shoulder to shoulder with them in their shops, and slept in their guest bedrooms.

i should just stop here, as i could rattle on forever. just thinking about the past 19 years on this board has brought back so many happy memories. than you very much for getting the post rolling.
I'm still here. Number is under 100.
Posted By: David Re: How many early members are here? - 04/27/16 01:24 AM
I've been here quite a while. I have a vague memory of having to re-register in about 2002 due to an invasion of trolls. Or something like that.
Posted By: long range Re: How many early members are here? - 04/27/16 02:56 AM
I have been here for some time, just can not remember how long..
David
Posted By: Recoil Rob Re: How many early members are here? - 04/27/16 03:12 AM
#81 when we all had to re-register on Jan.1, 2002 but here several years before that.

Oscar, Bill, Russ, Michael, Mark, Joe Harz (J.D.)...

I'm beginning to realize how my 88 year old mom feels, old friends gone.
Posted By: Tyler Re: How many early members are here? - 04/27/16 04:48 AM
Less than 200 on the second go round.. Was on for quite awhile before then. Remember all the old timers and was glad I made the effort to visit Bill Wise and his lovely wife, Rosalee. He had just finished "The Indian Giver". He printed out a copy and signed it for me.(He insisted that I leave the room when he signed it. I am sure he did not want me to witness the contortions he must have gone through to sign it with the pen held in his mouth) Still regret not buying a duck or goose call made by the Russian from Mastadon teeth . Geno perhaps? Got lots of good times here and I learned how little I know about doubles. Bought a well worn but sound leg of mutton case from Vic. One poster who I will not name, GAVE me a 20ga LC Smith (in great mechanical shape but pitted from rust due to storage in a wet case) It was given and delivered free of charge for the express purpose of cutting barrel and stock for my young at the time daughter. I did, but have regretted it. Never before or since have I received such a thoughtful gift from a total stranger. I could go on, but have enjoyed this site for many years and am grateful! Thanks Dave!
Posted By: old colonel Re: How many early members are here? - 04/27/16 09:54 AM
Originally Posted By: KY Jon
I have had to register several times over the years. Computers crashed, pass words stopped working or system changed. #357 was my number when I registered after the system change. Don't know what number I had before that. I viewed only for months before I posted. I missed the great 16 ga. Flaming war of the first year. If you were on back then you might remember what I am talking about. We had misfires before we had miss fires. Pete Hyatt might remember them. He was another very early poster. Perhaps back to about a 1,000 post or earlier.

And we have lost a lot of great posters but we have also gained many excellent posters. So perhaps we should recognize the new as we remember those no longer here. And some of those not here are still alive they have chosen not to post for a variety of reasons.

I am almost afraid to ask, but what was the great 16 ga war?
Posted By: canvasback Re: How many early members are here? - 04/27/16 11:42 AM
Well, I am far from an early member, #15231 joined in October 2009 after CJO suggested I might enjoy the site. That's an understatement. I have learned so much so here's a thank you to all who contribute.

Just as an aside, I happened to notice, because he was right beside me on the listing I was looking at, that skeettx joined in the spring of 2008, the year before me. His number is 9391. Around 5000 before me! Given that the total membership (by member number) is currently at 23,900, seems a lot of people were signing up that year.
Posted By: arrieta2 Re: How many early members are here? - 04/27/16 12:42 PM
Forget about it!

I was a part/ on of DGS way before you guys.

John Boyd
Quality Arms
Houston TX
Posted By: Cameron Re: How many early members are here? - 04/27/16 01:30 PM
I've been registered since 2004, skulked around on here for a while before I signed up.

Have learned a lot on this board, some of which has given me the confidence to give some tasks a go! A big thanks to those who've shared their knowledge so freely.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com