doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: KWD How many Ithaca 7E single barrel trap guns made - 01/09/16 07:01 PM
Does anyone know how many 7E Ithaca single barrel trap guns were made?
Thanks
Ken
Ken, not off hand, but I think all such available info is in Walt Snyder's book, "Ithaca Gun Company." If you have the interest in Ithaca to ask such advanced questions, I'd recommend Walt's book highly.

Are you asking about the Flues model, Knick model, or both?

DDA
Flues model is what I own, sorry for not narrowing the field. I do have Walts book but do not see a total for flues models just abouts how many were made during the years 1921 and 1922.
Thanks for your response,
Ken
There were 91 Flues models 7Es made, 94 6Es and 19 Sousa grades. I have not counted the Knicks as I do not have a complete record of their production.
Walt - 91 Flues &E SBTs? That must have made the guys at Ithaca weak in the knees. It's fun to think about the orders for those high-grades coming in.
Thanks Walt for the info are you still putting together research letters for a fee?
Ken
I have no idea how many were made. I photographed this a number of years ago for a local collector and he said it was 7E. It sure was nice.

What a beautiful gun, bill. Thanks for posting that picture. If that gun is in original condition it must have been almost never handled, much less used. From what you can see in that pic it looks mint.

SRH
And artfully photographed! Here is a 1914 7E. All original finish.

Wonderful gun. I wish someone would make,or have made, a high end single shot game gun in various gauges in these United States.These high end single shots have a charm all their own and needn't be embarrassed in the company of their twin barreled kin.
These single barrel trap guns were made in significant numbers and sell for short money unless extremely high grade. Convert one into a game gun. Some have been significantly modified and can be shortened in the barrel and screw chokes installed. I have a very nice Parker single barrel "game gun" with a Cutts Compensator on a shortened barrel. Very handy and versatile. I also have a very nice Francotte single barrel with safety that is a great game gun.
For a game gun I think most guys would prefer at least two shots. JMHO Maybe why you don't see high end single shot shotguns for hunting.
I have a English made (J & W Tolley) single barrel game gun in 12 gauge that I love. Open chokes, light weight. A great ruffed grouse gun.
A single barrel game gun is for those who wish to intentionally challenge themselves. Same as those big game hunters who choose to limit themselves to a single shot. Not something you can explain to those who do not understand.

SRH
On the topic of single game guns. Wow. Want!
https://www.gunsinternational.com/guns-f...un_id=101341895
A co-worker & I once went on a dove shoot over a cornfield that had been chopped for silage. It was too crowded so we did not stay for a long time. There was one place in the field where two or three stalks had been left standing & not chopped. A gentleman was set up in these stalks with a single barrel. From the distance we were could not see it in great detail, but could see it had an external hammer. appeared on the order of an older H&R Topper or IJ Champion, nothing special. During the time we were there I saw him kill close to a half dozen doves with as many shots. Most of these had been missed numerous times as they had come down the fence row on the far side of the field from us & then veered across those standing stalks. He needed neither a pump, semi-auto nor even a double to get his birds, just a shot.
My friend Stan describes shooting birds with a single barrel gun "a challenge". He is giving us too much credit. A single shot at a dove or a pheasant is somewhat less than a challenge. It is "all you need". I would love to shoot a dove field with Stan, both of us using single barrel guns. I'm sure he and I would do just fine. Your friend, Murphy.
Since our quail numbers are so low in the Texas Panhandle this year my “go to” gun has been a cheap English 16 gauge hammer single shot weighing 4 1/2 pounds. Also have been using black powder to spice things up. The little gun does add a new dimension to the uplands. Even with its 28” damascus barrel the gun has zero momentum and the slightest jerk or wobble guarantees the bird wins. What great fun! Must say though I’m seldom embarrassed at the end of a day.
Originally Posted By: eightbore
My friend Stan describes shooting birds with a single barrel gun "a challenge". He is giving us too much credit. A single shot at a dove or a pheasant is somewhat less than a challenge. It is "all you need". I would love to shoot a dove field with Stan, both of us using single barrel guns. I'm sure he and I would do just fine. Your friend, Murphy.

I earnestly hope we get that opportunity, Bill. As for me, I will use my Iver Johnson Special Trap, with one ounce loads. The ejector on it isn't working properly right now, but that will be corrected.

Your old friend, Stan
Using a well balanced single shot would very likely greatly improve my shells to Dove ratio. I'd like to try with one of these --

Researcher, I've admired those old Stevens ads for years. Where are the guns though??? I never see them on the market...Geo
One of these days I'm going to gather up a bunch of doves and have a single-shot only dove shoot. I think that would be a lot of fun, and I doubt it would create that much of a handicap for the guys I shoot with...Geo
A few years ago someone around here had a .410 only shoot. I went and watched the guys shooting their son's single shots punching themselves in the nose with their thumbs because the stocks were so short. My impression was that there were way too many cripples sliding off into the woods...Geo
For a number of years I kept track of Grade 7 Knicks that appeared on the market. I kept at this until it got to a point where the same guns kept turning up; at that point I had logged 34 guns. I was rather surprised at the turnover. My surmise is that maybe half again that number are tucked away as lifetime purchases, guns that will only be released when the owner can no longer hold them.

Nearly all the guns showed at least some evidence of having been used as working trap guns, i.e., worn finishes on wood and metal, re-blues and re-cases, aftermarket recoil pads, buggered screws, stock mods, replaced stocks, etc. Even the gorgeously finished 7E that was in the NRA collection (and later auctioned by Julia) had been restocked.
Originally Posted By: Geo. Newbern
Researcher, I've admired those old Stevens ads for years. Where are the guns though??? I never see them on the market...Geo

Back in the day when those high grade J. Stevens Arms & Tool Co. hammerless single barrels were offered, they cost as much as a K-Grade Remington Hammerless Double, a DS-Grade Lefever or a 00-Grade L.C. Smith, and more than an Ithaca or a Winchester Model 1897. Fire power won out in the marketplace.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com