doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: ed good HOW COME NO DUTCH DOUBLEGUNS? - 01/23/16 02:12 PM
ever seen a modern doublegun made in holland? or portugal for that matter?

wonder why not?
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: HOW COME NO DUTCH DOUBLEGUNS? - 01/23/16 02:19 PM
Ed do these brAin farts come natural to you ?
Posted By: lagopus Re: HOW COME NO DUTCH DOUBLEGUNS? - 01/23/16 02:57 PM
Good question and as I had never heard of one I checked on the Internet and came up with this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hartmans-Dutch-Gunmakers-From-Century/dp/9078521015 He lists 1350. Wonder why we don't come across more examples. Less luck with Portugal and just came up with this http://www.gundeal.co.uk/manuel-ricardo-gun-stock-maker-accessory-1265

I did once go in a Portugese Gunshop in Lisbon out of curiosity. Took a photo of the exterior. Maybe they were overshadowed by Spanish Makers. Lagopus.....
Posted By: ed good Re: HOW COME NO DUTCH DOUBLEGUNS? - 01/23/16 03:15 PM
and while we are on the subject, what about denmark, norway, greece or the balkan countries...no doublegun makers there?

have seen a couple of pre war guns made in hungary...but do not recall seeing any from romania nor bulgaria...

and what about polish made sxs's? gotta be some somewheres?

and least we forget, what about sxs's made in latvia, estonia and lithuania?
Posted By: redgrouse Re: HOW COME NO DUTCH DOUBLEGUNS? - 01/23/16 04:08 PM
Did Dicksons in Edinburgh not have a few Round Actions made in Holland about 30 years ago?
Posted By: Norm Re: HOW COME NO DUTCH DOUBLEGUNS? - 01/23/16 04:58 PM
IIRC the later Ithaca Classic Doubles VGM-made receivers were from Holland.
Posted By: keith Re: HOW COME NO DUTCH DOUBLEGUNS? - 01/23/16 08:29 PM
Ed have you noticed that there are no doubles seen from these countries either? Why is that?

A
Algeria
Angola
B
Benin
Botswana
Burkina Faso
Burundi
C
Cabo Verde
Cameroon
Central African Republic
Chad
Comoros
Congo, Republic of the
Congo, Democratic Republic of the
Cote d'Ivoire
D
Djibouti
E
Egypt
Equatorial Guinea
Eritrea
Ethiopia

G
Gabon
Gambia
Ghana
Guinea
Guinea-Bissau
K
Kenya
L
Lesotho
Liberia
Libya
M
Madagascar
Malawi
Mali
Mauritania
Mauritius
Morocco
Mozambique
N
Namibia
Niger
Nigeria

R
Rwanda
S
Sao Tome and Principe
Senegal
Seychelles
Sierra Leone
Somalia
South Africa
South Sudan
Sudan
Swaziland
T
Tanzania
Togo
Tunisia
U
Uganda
Z
Zambia
Zimbabwe

And what about Antarctica Ed? As long as we're going to ask stupid questions, we might as well ask about Antarctica?

But maybe we don't see guns from some of those countries you mentioned simply because they have disarmed as you say we should do here:

Originally Posted By: ed good
as for the gun control issue...we are the only country in the world that seems to tolerate mass murder, in the name of an individual right...its about time that we as a society realize that we are over gunned with too many super dangerous weapons in the hands of too many super dangerous people... it is long past time to do as the rest of the civilized world has done and simply, disarm...

You said it Ed. Don't shoot the messenger.

Posted By: B. Dudley Re: HOW COME NO DUTCH DOUBLEGUNS? - 01/23/16 10:18 PM
What about Antarctica? Why is there no double gun makers there? Huh? Why not?

Maybe if I ask again, i will get an answer that makes me happy.
Posted By: Jawjadawg Re: HOW COME NO DUTCH DOUBLEGUNS? - 01/23/16 10:27 PM
Antarctica is not a country, and it has no Government. Can guns be outlawed in a place where Govt does not exist?
Posted By: ed good Re: HOW COME NO DUTCH DOUBLEGUNS? - 01/23/16 10:37 PM
naughty child like behavior should not be tolerated here...
Posted By: Run With The Fox Re: HOW COME NO DUTCH DOUBLEGUNS? - 01/23/16 10:42 PM
The Dutch make: Windmills, Delft china, wooden shoes, over-rated beer, and gave us one of the best artists of all time- Johannes Vermeer- love his painting "The Astronomer"--No guns of note- When Hitler's Wehrmacht marched into Holland, the Dutch Army folded like a fart in a Mach 3 windtunnel. Not the case with the Swiss however.
Posted By: ed good Re: HOW COME NO DUTCH DOUBLEGUNS? - 01/23/16 10:50 PM
point is, all of the countries i listed above are european and as such have a long history of industrial development and skilled manufacturing...seems odd that they appartantly had/have no sporting gun industry nor culture, when so many of their neighbors did and do...

pictures and descriptions of doubleguns made in any of these countries would be of interest to some of us...
Posted By: ed good Re: HOW COME NO DUTCH DOUBLEGUNS? - 01/23/16 10:52 PM
and to foxie's post, anybody ever seen a swiss made sxs?
Posted By: Lawrence Kotchek Re: HOW COME NO DUTCH DOUBLEGUNS? - 01/23/16 10:52 PM
I'm with Ed on this one. It seems to be a reasonable question. Why Belgium and France but not Holland? Is the culture that different? Government? Crappy bird hunting?
I mean Holland has to have plenty of ducks....
Posted By: popplecop Re: HOW COME NO DUTCH DOUBLEGUNS? - 01/23/16 11:48 PM
Very seldom I find agreement with Ed, but when he asks a question that is legit it brings out some of the dumbest answers I have seen. Sometimes we all need to engage brain before fingers.
Posted By: skeettx Re: HOW COME NO DUTCH DOUBLEGUNS? - 01/23/16 11:53 PM
Yes, agree with popplecop
I do have a 11.7 Danish rolling block and 43 Dutch Beaumont, 11mm Gras rifle, 41 Swiss centerfire and a Werndl carbine, 7.5 Swiss Revolver and other odd stuff, why no shotguns coming to light.

Have Husqvarna shotgun (Sweden) and had Valmet shotgun (Finland).

Hmmm, room for thought

Mike
Posted By: Drew Hause Re: HOW COME NO DUTCH DOUBLEGUNS? - 01/23/16 11:54 PM
Please note that Belgium was once The Southern Netherlands
http://www.belgium.be/en/about_belgium/country/history/belgium_from_1830/
Posted By: Jawjadawg Re: HOW COME NO DUTCH DOUBLEGUNS? - 01/23/16 11:59 PM
I just googled "dutch shotgun"
I am now scarred for life.
Posted By: WBLDon Re: HOW COME NO DUTCH DOUBLEGUNS? - 01/24/16 12:32 AM
Ed,
I have 2 or 3 Husqvarna SXS, would you like to see pics and details??

WBLDon
Posted By: skeettx Re: HOW COME NO DUTCH DOUBLEGUNS? - 01/24/16 12:34 AM
I would smile
Hammerless or not?
Ejectors or not?
Top lever or underlever?
Thanks WBLDon !!
Posted By: Recoil Rob Re: HOW COME NO DUTCH DOUBLEGUNS? - 01/24/16 12:45 AM
I'm under the impression that gunmaking sprouted where there was water power and iron. Not wind power and tulips.
Posted By: ed good Re: HOW COME NO DUTCH DOUBLEGUNS? - 01/24/16 01:28 AM
wind or water can drive machine tools...

however, one cannot make steel without iron...

perhaps rob has hit upon something here?

however, many gun making countries were also eager to sell barrels, receivers and other metal parts...

for example, many early american, swedish and italian made guns have german made krupp barrels...

and many english gunmakers sourced their gun parts from belgian makers, located in leige...
Posted By: ed good Re: HOW COME NO DUTCH DOUBLEGUNS? - 01/24/16 01:30 AM
and here's one more puzzle...

why no canadian, austrailan nor new zealand made doubleguns?
Posted By: moses Re: HOW COME NO DUTCH DOUBLEGUNS? - 01/24/16 01:33 AM
Never thought about this before but the Dutch being a colonial power in Asia & Africa in the 16th & 17th century they must have had a gun making industry. Portugal also.
The Dutch made Lewis guns in WWII.
Maybe they got all their doubles from the Belgians & had no need to manufacture themselves while the neighbours had it all in hand.
O.M
Posted By: moses Re: HOW COME NO DUTCH DOUBLEGUNS? - 01/24/16 01:39 AM

Those three are Commonwealth countries with England as mother.
They supplied primary produce in trade for many English manufactured items.
No doubles made there that I know of but there is firearms manufacturing in those countries.
O.M
Posted By: Gary Rennles Re: HOW COME NO DUTCH DOUBLEGUNS? - 01/24/16 01:46 AM
Canadian doubles were made by Tobin Arms
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tobin_Arms

Posted By: Tom Martin Re: HOW COME NO DUTCH DOUBLEGUNS? - 01/24/16 01:51 AM
There was at least one Canadian double gun maker- Tobin, and Tobin was succeeded by Crandall. I can't recall about O/U guns, but I have seen quite a few Browning firearms marked Made in Portugal.
Posted By: Norm Re: HOW COME NO DUTCH DOUBLEGUNS? - 01/24/16 04:17 AM
Malin had an Ontario address.
Posted By: ninepointer Re: HOW COME NO DUTCH DOUBLEGUNS? - 01/24/16 04:28 AM
FEG - Hungary

Curiously, FEG made SxS's and O/U's that were stamped with the name "ADANAC", which is Canada spelled backwards.
Posted By: ninepointer Re: HOW COME NO DUTCH DOUBLEGUNS? - 01/24/16 04:33 AM
I had heard the the IJ Hercules was for a period "made" in Canada by Cooey, but according to the interweb, more precisely:

"[The] Iver Johnson Hercules was finished and assembled by the Cooey Firearms Company in Cobourg, Ontario, Canada. Cooey had an arrangement with Iver Johnson from about 1932 to at least 1939 to finish guns for the Canadian and British market."

Sounds like an arrangement not unlike the former Ithaca assembly and repair plant in Dunnville, Ontario.
Posted By: gunman Re: HOW COME NO DUTCH DOUBLEGUNS? - 01/24/16 12:13 PM
Thom Dirkson built sidelocks and Dickson style round action guns in the 90's.
Posted By: keith Re: HOW COME NO DUTCH DOUBLEGUNS? - 01/24/16 01:20 PM
naughty child like behavior should not be tolerated here...

I agree Ed, That's why I had pledged $100.00 to AmarilloMike's "Pledge Drive To Ban Ed Good". There was a nice amount of money on the table that could really help this BBS both financially, and by eliminating one of our anti-gun Trolls.

Ed, in my opinion, this is another one of your racist threads. Why aren't you curious about the lack of sxs shotgun manufacturing in those African countries I listed? Remember when you were advocating bans and restrictions of semi-autos and posted this racist comment about gun crime in inner cities?

a well regulated militia is one thing...a bunch of yahoos running around with semi auto handguns is something else...

or is it?

If you are not a racist, why were you crudely imitating a black person when you made this anti-gun statement?

"licensing' means only those that can afford to pay, can play?

no, not if a license was only required to possess a semi auto handgun...think of it in the spirit of the firearms act of 1934 and the no chil lef behin ed ucation law of 2001...and unlike the act of 1934, the licensing process would be administered by the states and not by the feds...an like no chil, compliance to a national standard would be mandated by the feds, but achieving compliance to the licensing act would be the responsibility of the states.

They certainly had sources of iron and water power in Africa Ed. Remember seeing all of those natives with their iron spear points in National Geographic? Are you saying that only white people are smart enough and motivated enough to produce firearms? Or were you just looking at the topless pictures of African native women which would make you both racist and misogynist?

How about Muslim shotguns Ed. You didn't ask about doubles from any Arabic countries. Are you Islamophobic too?

All of the countries you are asking about in this thread are European and Caucasian countries. How come you didn't ask about shotgun makers from Central America or the Phillipines or Viet Nam or Cambodia? I noticed you didn't ask about shotguns made by Eskimos or American Indians either. Neither did anyone else who thought that this was your very first moment of brilliance. How about Chinese people Ed? They invented gunpowder and even crude hand cannons, but we don't see many Chinese doubles? Are you concerned about that, or didn't you even consider the possibility of Chinese sxs production because of your racist attitudes?

Did you read earlier that Antarctica is not a country and has no government Ed? Talk about a golden opportunity. Maybe you should move to Antarctica and run for President of the Penguins. You've certainly got the brain for it.

Posted By: Last Dollar Re: HOW COME NO DUTCH DOUBLEGUNS? - 01/24/16 02:16 PM
This made me laugh....My Dad had (I still have it) what he called a "Dutch gun".. Guess I'll shoot the dutch gun today..It was/is a Holland and Holland....
Posted By: Jawjadawg Re: HOW COME NO DUTCH DOUBLEGUNS? - 01/24/16 03:04 PM
People today think of windmills as a power source, but windmills existed long before electricity and were water pumps. The windmills were needed to keep the place from continually flooding. The vast majority of Holland is below sea level so not exactly the ideal place to set up manufacturing, even today.
Posted By: Mark II Re: HOW COME NO DUTCH DOUBLEGUNS? - 01/24/16 05:41 PM
My Winchester 370 is marked made in Canada
Posted By: keith Re: HOW COME NO DUTCH DOUBLEGUNS? - 01/24/16 05:55 PM
Impossible. Ed Good says there were no Canadian built doubles.

Once Ed sets his mind on something, no amount of proof or reasoning will convince him otherwise. Take his belief that the Militia of the 2nd Amendment is obsolete, and has been replaced by Volunteer Fire Departments. Seriously. He said that in his post # 372069 on 7/9/14:

brian: yep, that seems to do it. but, it don't clearly define what the unorganized militia consists of...so that is left to interpretation in the context of a "well regulated militia".

in the context of the times, a well regulated militia, could be defined as local volunteer militia companies, organized by captains holding state commissions. guess the closes thing we have to that today are volunteer fire companies...

too bad, it don't say somewhere that the militia also consists of citizen civilians, who are not necessarily well regulated. you know, like guys like me.
Posted By: Brian Re: HOW COME NO DUTCH DOUBLEGUNS? - 01/24/16 06:11 PM
Keith,
ROTFLMAO
Posted By: JohnfromUK Re: HOW COME NO DUTCH DOUBLEGUNS? - 01/24/16 07:24 PM
Last Dollar - That's a 'double dutch' gun.
Posted By: gunsaholic Re: HOW COME NO DUTCH DOUBLEGUNS? - 01/24/16 07:35 PM
Originally Posted By: Mark II
My Winchester 370 is marked made in Canada

Yes, made in the former Cooey plant in Cobourg, Ontario which Winchester took over in 1961 and closed in 1979. When Cooey was in operation the shotguns were the model 84. After Winchester took over it became the model 840, then 370, then 37A. They were all single shot. During the 30's, Cooey finished and assembled the Champion shotguns as well as the Hercules double barrel for Iver Johnson for sale in Canada. They are Canadian marked on the action.
Posted By: gunsaholic Re: HOW COME NO DUTCH DOUBLEGUNS? - 01/24/16 07:41 PM
I have a 20 gauge double hammer gun. One barrel is marked Haarlem Haag Amsterdam and the other barrel is marked Ned Wapennagaziin.
Posted By: skeettx Re: HOW COME NO DUTCH DOUBLEGUNS? - 01/24/16 08:20 PM
Haarlem Haag listed here also, scroll down a bit.

http://www.doubleshotguns.com/used-shotguns-side-by-side.html
Posted By: moses Re: HOW COME NO DUTCH DOUBLEGUNS? - 01/24/16 09:17 PM
Originally Posted By: gunsaholic
I have a 20 gauge double hammer gun. One barrel is marked Haarlem Haag Amsterdam and the other barrel is marked Ned Wapennagaziin.

Marked Netherlands weapon factory (Ned Wapennagaziin)
Does this gun have proof marks & if so, what do they read ?
O.M
Posted By: King Brown Re: HOW COME NO DUTCH DOUBLEGUNS? - 01/24/16 09:27 PM
Don't forget the Tobin double, made in Canada. There's one engraved Sealer's Gun in my village. Tobin was born in our provincial capital of Halifax. There's a street named for him.
Posted By: keith Re: HOW COME NO DUTCH DOUBLEGUNS? - 01/24/16 09:51 PM
Originally Posted By: King Brown
Don't forget the Tobin double, made in Canada. There's one engraved Sealer's Gun in my village. Tobin was born in our provincial capital of Halifax. There's a street named for him.

Why would you want to prove Ed is wrong about no doubles being built in Canada King? Doesn't he always march totally in lock-step with you when you post false and erroneous comments about the 2nd Amendment?
Posted By: ed good Re: HOW COME NO DUTCH DOUBLEGUNS? - 01/24/16 10:50 PM
it would be nice to see pictures of the dutch made gun here...
Posted By: ed good Re: HOW COME NO DUTCH DOUBLEGUNS? - 01/24/16 10:57 PM
so far, just a few exceptions mentioned... still seems odd that certain countries with means to produce doubleguns, apparantly did not?

double muzzle loaders were made most every where european gun making expertise exists...

so, why not double cartridge guns?

Posted By: gunsaholic Re: HOW COME NO DUTCH DOUBLEGUNS? - 01/24/16 11:28 PM
Originally Posted By: moses
Originally Posted By: gunsaholic

Marked Netherlands weapon factory (Ned Wapennagaziin)
Does this gun have proof marks & if so, what do they read ?
O.M

It has Belgian proof marks.
Posted By: keith Re: HOW COME NO DUTCH DOUBLEGUNS? - 01/24/16 11:44 PM
We have the answer to your silly question Ed. We just aren't sharing it with an anti-gun Troll who wants to disarm the country. Do you recall saying this in your post 407939 in Misfires on 6/23/15?

guess no body here has the balls to answer my question:

disarm...seems to work for the rest of the civilized world...

why not us?
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: HOW COME NO DUTCH DOUBLEGUNS? - 01/24/16 11:53 PM
The mentally ill should be disarmed....

Oh Ed.
Posted By: skeettx Re: HOW COME NO DUTCH DOUBLEGUNS? - 01/24/16 11:58 PM
Yes, it does have proofmarks and they are Belgian
If you could post one or the other side more clearly
we might be able to provide more data.
It does have 65mm chambers and was proofed before 1922
http://www.shotguns.se/html/belgium.html
Mike
Posted By: ed good Re: HOW COME NO DUTCH DOUBLEGUNS? - 01/25/16 12:08 AM
makes since that the dutch gun would have belgian proofs...probably one of a job shop order placed by a dutch retailer...

leige job shops would make gun parts sets for inventory and then stamp barrels to fill quantity orders from retailers all over europe, including germany...

also remember seeing a gun with leige proofs and swedish retailer barrel stamps...
Posted By: gunsaholic Re: HOW COME NO DUTCH DOUBLEGUNS? - 01/25/16 12:49 AM
Originally Posted By: skeettx
Yes, it does have proofmarks and they are Belgian
If you could post one or the other side more clearly
we might be able to provide more data.
It does have 65mm chambers and was proofed before 1922
http://www.shotguns.se/html/belgium.html
Mike

A couple of more pics. Has 26 1/2" barrels, rebounding hammers.

Posted By: ed good Re: HOW COME NO DUTCH DOUBLEGUNS? - 01/25/16 03:20 AM
nice looking hammer gun...
Posted By: Jawjadawg Re: HOW COME NO DUTCH DOUBLEGUNS? - 01/25/16 03:54 AM
Ed, I've given your answer. The place is a swamp.
Posted By: oskar Re: HOW COME NO DUTCH DOUBLEGUNS? - 01/25/16 05:31 AM
There is a Danish shotgun but not a sxs, the Sjogren.
Posted By: ed good Re: HOW COME NO DUTCH DOUBLEGUNS? - 01/25/16 12:45 PM
ok dawg, i'll buy that...

but, what about the other european countries i referenced?

polska, the baltic states, etc.

how come no doubles gun from those places?
Posted By: King Brown Re: HOW COME NO DUTCH DOUBLEGUNS? - 01/25/16 02:45 PM
Maybe because they're neighbours of great gun-making countries, as Canada and Mexico are with the United States.

No one ever heard of British and European doubles when I was growing up, admittedly in a rural area. It was all the American classics.
Posted By: Jawjadawg Re: HOW COME NO DUTCH DOUBLEGUNS? - 01/25/16 03:10 PM
ok dawg, i'll buy that...

but, what about the other european countries i referenced?

polska, the baltic states, etc.

how come no doubles gun from those places?

Probably due to the fact those areas were largely dominated by other ruling factions - gun manufacturing and ownership is generally discouraged by Dictator-types.
Posted By: Doverham Re: HOW COME NO DUTCH DOUBLEGUNS? - 01/25/16 03:46 PM
Originally Posted By: Jawjadawg
I just googled "dutch shotgun"
I am now scarred for life.

Thanks for not sharing that sick
Posted By: Tamid Re: HOW COME NO DUTCH DOUBLEGUNS? - 01/25/16 04:31 PM
Dutch double barrel percussion shotgun

http://www.musquet.com/en/p/west-europe/longarms/416-dutch-double-barrel-percussion-shotgun.html
Posted By: oskar Re: HOW COME NO DUTCH DOUBLEGUNS? - 01/25/16 04:42 PM
Ive been shooting a pair of Hungarian FEG sxs's not bad shotguns.
Then there is the BRNO from Czechoslovakia.
Posted By: Franc Otte Re: HOW COME NO DUTCH DOUBLEGUNS? - 01/25/16 05:02 PM
Where was that over/under the Flodman (?) build , Sweden, or Norway..I remember Caprinus too , stainless steel
franc
Posted By: GLS Re: HOW COME NO DUTCH DOUBLEGUNS? - 01/26/16 02:13 PM
Kirby Hoyt is offering a 16 gauge by J. Nowotny of Prague:
http://www.vintagedoubles.com/catalog/?keywords=prague
Posted By: ed good Re: HOW COME NO DUTCH DOUBLEGUNS? - 01/26/16 02:58 PM
have seen quite a few czech guns over the years...all of good quality...very sauer like...
Posted By: Nick. C Re: HOW COME NO DUTCH DOUBLEGUNS? - 01/26/16 08:11 PM
I Googled Dutch shotgun too, I was expecting some strange porn to pop up. Imagine my disappointment when I just saw some guns smile
Posted By: Gunwolf Re: HOW COME NO DUTCH DOUBLEGUNS? - 01/31/16 12:31 AM
Dickson - Verenigde Geweermakers:

https://books.google.de/books?id=lIR7AwA...ers&f=false

Cheers,
Wolfgang
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com