doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: baldrick Hard Kicking Parkers - 01/30/16 08:58 PM
I've been reading Stephen Bodio's book "Good Guns" and he wrote that Parker's were known as hard recoiling guns because of their "short forcing cones or chambers". I've not found this to be the case, but I use 2 inch or 2 and a half inch loads. No duck loads yet. Has anyone else found this comparison to be true and if so, are there doubles of this vintage that are considered soft shooters?
Posted By: David Williamson Re: Hard Kicking Parkers - 01/30/16 09:02 PM
I think it all depends on the loads going through any gun. The more lead the more recoil. Also a gun not fitting right will seem like it has more recoil because it does not fit.
Posted By: Grouse Guy Re: Hard Kicking Parkers - 01/30/16 09:05 PM
I had a 12 ga. Parker DH years ago that would regularly "double". Now THAT was a hard kicking Parker!
Posted By: Run With The Fox Re: Hard Kicking Parkers - 01/30/16 09:37 PM
Originally Posted By: baldrick
I've been reading Stephen Bodio's book "Good Guns" and he wrote that Parker's were known as hard recoiling guns because of their "short forcing cones or chambers". I've not found this to be the case, but I use 2 inch or 2 and a half inch loads. No duck loads yet. Has anyone else found this comparison to be true and if so, are there doubles of this vintage that are considered soft shooters?
The same book where Stevie discussed the Model 21 as coming on the market in 1941-ooops-make that 1931- A Mike McIntosh Bodio ain't--Although he does like the Model 12--
Posted By: Joe Wood Re: Hard Kicking Parkers - 01/30/16 10:19 PM
This is a new one for me. I have been shooting original and unaltered Parkers for several decades and have not noticed anything unusual about recoil. Now, once upon a time I had an Elsie that would jar loose my fillings....
Posted By: 2-piper Re: Hard Kicking Parkers - 01/30/16 11:49 PM
Sounds as if Bodio has been Believing all those fairytales about how yo can do all sorts of gimmicks to your barrel which will increase the velocity of the shot load while simultaneously reducing the Gun's recoil.
"AIN'T" Gonna Happen Folks.
Posted By: GregSY Re: Hard Kicking Parkers - 01/30/16 11:56 PM

Nothing worse than a gun that recoils too hard and hurts your breasts and vagina.
Posted By: bill schodlatz Re: Hard Kicking Parkers - 01/31/16 01:44 AM
Think of excessive drop, short chambers (2 5/8 on 12's), sharp combs, and short forcing cones. This can add up to recoil if you just grabbed a box at Walmart they are made to cycle an A-5
and kick hard in any gun.

bill
Posted By: ed good Re: Hard Kicking Parkers - 01/31/16 02:45 AM
heavy loads in a light gun will kick more than heavy loads in a heavy gun... therefore logic dictates that one shoot loads that do not kick beyond ones tolerance for such...

back in the day, a light field gun was 6 to 7 pounds and was made to shoot light loads.

a heavy water fowling gun was 8 to 9 pounds and was made to shoot heavy loads.

and now we have the all purpose 7 1/2 to 8 pound gun...
Posted By: DAM16SXS Re: Hard Kicking Parkers - 01/31/16 03:06 AM
Bill Shodlatz nailed it.
Posted By: Joe Wood Re: Hard Kicking Parkers - 01/31/16 03:17 AM
I have no idea what you're talking about. I've never noticed excessive recoil in my 8 pound Parker DH shooting 7/8 oz at 1100 fps. wink
Posted By: Linn Re: Hard Kicking Parkers - 01/31/16 03:24 AM
Another thing to consider. Using lighter loads will preserve the woodwork of your 100 or so year old Parker.
Posted By: Replacement Re: Hard Kicking Parkers - 01/31/16 03:46 AM
Bodio is full of crap. I have a bunch of Parkers and none of them recoil all that much, even with short magnums in a 1-frame 16.
Posted By: OH Osthaus Re: Hard Kicking Parkers - 01/31/16 09:18 PM
my Parkers don't kick any more- but the one I shot today does miss more
Posted By: skeettx Re: Hard Kicking Parkers - 01/31/16 09:25 PM
You would be AMAZED what lacing one of these on a Parker stock
would do to reduce felt recoil, WOW!

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Triple-K-...T.mc_id=crrdtfd
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: Hard Kicking Parkers - 01/31/16 09:56 PM
Originally Posted By: bill schodlatz
Think of excessive drop, short chambers (2 5/8 on 12's), sharp combs, and short forcing cones. This can add up to recoil if you just grabbed a box at Walmart they are made to cycle an A-5
and kick hard in any gun.

bill

You can add excessive pitch to that list, also. A gun that has the muzzles 6-8" from the wall, when the butt is up against the baseboard WILL boot you, when it goes off.

As to Fox runs notion that "Bodio is no McIntosh", I have yet to read anything by McIntosh on fishing, the sport of kings (Falconry) ornthology, geology, ranch wars, loss of a soul mate, chile, sight hounds, Mongolia, pigeon racing, cock fighting, hunting with the fairer sex, or a thousand other topics, I have enjoyed by Mr. Bodio.

Steve Bodio, can write on a wide variety of interesting subjects. Including guns. No writer gets it right 100% of the time for 100% of other poeple, but, Bodio does a great job. I remember when McIntosh was savaged (rightly so, maybe) for advising people to take the choke out of their clay target guns.

I did read one magazine article where Mike got loose in his wife's kitchen (literally, he polished off several bottles of wine during the prep, by his own admission) preparing a blackbird pie of some sort.
I know I'd much rather eat, drink, or listen to stories round a campfire, with Stephan Bodio.

Not that it is an issue, anymore. But, on my bucket list is doing just that with Steve, if he will have me. We've talked about it. Just have to do it.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: Jerry V Lape Re: Hard Kicking Parkers - 02/01/16 04:20 AM
I have owned three. An early 20ga Trojan which was pleasant except when it doubled - so I sold it. A CHE 12ga which I only shot a few times before selling it because I already had a more useful 12ga and a 20ga VHE 28" barrels which I have no recoil problems with even with 1 ounce loads. The VHE is a late Remington Parker with modern dimensions. Also had a 28ga reproduction which I couldn't shoot well as the stock was too straight so it was sold too.
Posted By: GLS Re: Hard Kicking Parkers - 02/01/16 11:57 AM
Originally Posted By: Ted Schefelbein
[quote=bill schodlatz]

You can add excessive pitch to that list, also. A gun that has the muzzles 6-8" from the wall, when the butt is up against the baseboard WILL boot you, when it goes off.

As to Fox runs notion that "Bodio is no McIntosh", I have yet to read anything by McIntosh on fishing, the sport of kings (Falconry) ornthology, geology, ranch wars, loss of a soul mate, chile, sight hounds, Mongolia, pigeon racing, cock fighting, hunting with the fairer sex, or a thousand other topics, I have enjoyed by Mr. Bodio.

Steve Bodio, can write on a wide variety of interesting subjects. Including guns. No writer gets it right 100% of the time for 100% of other poeple, but, Bodio does a great job. I remember when McIntosh was savaged (rightly so, maybe) for advising people to take the choke out of their clay target guns.

I know I'd much rather eat, drink, or listen to stories round a campfire, with Stephan Bodio.

Best,
Ted

Well said. Amen. Best, Gil
Posted By: ithaca1 Re: Hard Kicking Parkers - 02/01/16 11:10 PM
Originally Posted By: skeettx
You would be AMAZED what lacing one of these on a Parker stock
would do to reduce felt recoil, WOW!

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Triple-K-...T.mc_id=crrdtfd

Mike,
I always wanted to try one on a 1-3/4 x 2-3/4 gun but was always turned off by the lace on design. Have you seen or have experience with these? Velcro rather than lace on and fit to your gun. Looks pretty good.

http://www.cheeknstock.com/main.html
Posted By: skeettx Re: Hard Kicking Parkers - 02/01/16 11:13 PM
No I have not used the Velco unit, but looks very interesting.

I take the heavy laces out and use OLD tan colored braided flyline.
I take care to tighten carefully and not put the grommets out.
And after I shoot, I tighten the line and then tuck the line under the rear of the flap. And on and on till it gets very tight with no movement. Then all is well.

For the minimum expense, EITHER sure would be worth a try.

Mike
Posted By: ithaca1 Re: Hard Kicking Parkers - 02/01/16 11:22 PM
If you look at the velcro unit, they ask you for your stock dims in 2 places and what height you would like the comb to be. I thought it was very cool.
Posted By: Remington40x Re: Hard Kicking Parkers - 02/02/16 03:30 PM
I've used the lace on version on a number of older rifles that needed the comb raised in order to allow a firm cheek weld when using a scope. They work very well indeed. I've not had problems with the grommets, but have had to tighten the laces a few times before they "set".
Posted By: eightbore Re: Hard Kicking Parkers - 02/03/16 12:56 PM
I use the Rapid Comb (velcro attached) on a competition gun, but it is too ugly for a bird gun. It is easy on, easy off.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com