doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Sandlapper off-face Scott Premier - 02/02/16 12:06 AM
Gentlemen, I have recently acquired a W.&C. Scott Premier ejector 12 ga. made circa 1890, with the Triplex Lever Grip top fastener, instead of the later square crossbolt. Anyway, the gun is just the slightest bit off-face with the forend off, but you can't really tell it any other way. What, in your opinion would you do to fix this problem and who would you send it to?Other that that,the gun is in beautiful shape,barrels and all, and is one of the few early model bar action sidelock ejector Scotts I have run across. Regards, Marcus
Posted By: steve f Re: off-face Scott Premier - 02/02/16 12:36 AM
I'll put in a good word for Bill Schwarz in Ellijay Ga. He tightened up my old Sauer Daly which was very slightly off face. He built up the locking bolts by welding on, and then filed them down to fit. He works on a lot of high end guns, when I stopped by a couple of weeks ago to pick up a lowly field grade Smith he was working on a Parker A1 Special. Your old gun is exactly the type he specializes in.
Posted By: WBLDon Re: off-face Scott Premier - 02/02/16 12:38 AM
Some Scott Premiers had adjustable lumps, if so there would be two screws in the front lump. One is a lock for the adjusting screw. If yours has this you may be able to make the adjustment yourself.

WBLDon
Posted By: Joe Wood Re: off-face Scott Premier - 02/02/16 01:31 AM
Definitely have the gun tightened. Another method for a high grade gun would be to have the hinge pin replaced with a larger size. If the additional cost isn't a barrier a new hinge pin is usually preferable.
Posted By: ed good Re: off-face Scott Premier - 02/02/16 01:46 AM
what do you mean by off face?

have the gun evaluated by a knowledgeable smith, before fixin what aint necessarily broke...
Posted By: Sandlapper Re: off-face Scott Premier - 02/02/16 10:49 AM
Would you happen to have Mr. Schwarz's address and phone no. I would like to talk with him. Is he fairly prompt in getting things repaired that you have sent him? Thanks, Marcus
Posted By: Sandlapper Re: off-face Scott Premier - 02/02/16 10:50 AM
Any other fellows that do hingepin work that anyone can recommend?
Posted By: Birdhunter2 Re: off-face Scott Premier - 02/02/16 11:30 AM
Bill Schwartz contact info: 767 Brushy Top Rd, Ellijay, GA 706-276-7668. I have been pleased with his work (built main spring on English hammergun, relayed barrels and rust blued, and repaired a couple safeties). Turnaround has always been prompt (much less than 60 days for these tasks).
Posted By: Sandlapper Re: off-face Scott Premier - 02/02/16 04:17 PM
Haven, Many thanks. I'll give him a call. Marcus
Posted By: gunmaker Re: off-face Scott Premier - 02/02/16 04:45 PM
Steve Bertram is a very capable person for the job also.
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: off-face Scott Premier - 02/03/16 12:35 PM
Ha....ha...
Posted By: steve f Re: off-face Scott Premier - 02/12/16 06:14 PM
Originally Posted By: sandlapper
Would you happen to have Mr. Schwarz's address and phone no. I would like to talk with him. Is he fairly prompt in getting things repaired that you have sent him? Thanks, Marcus

I don't know if you sent your Scott to Mr. Schwarz, but he had a high grade Scott in his shop when I was up there yesterday. It was a crystal window gun with damascus barrels, a beauty for sure.
Posted By: Sandlapper Re: off-face Scott Premier - 02/12/16 06:30 PM
I think that's my Scott that you saw. I sent it to him last week.
Posted By: redoak Re: off-face Scott Premier - 02/12/16 06:45 PM
Sandlapper,

Not sure exactly how your Scott Triplex Lever Grip top fastener works, but I had a Birmingham boxlock with no top fastener that appeared to be off-face, but it was just a worn under-bolt/lump bite. A few thousands of electroplated chrome on selected areas of the bolt, and it was fine.
Posted By: Sandlapper Re: off-face Scott Premier - 02/12/16 08:22 PM
Redoak, As far as I can tell,based on the Scotts I have seen and owned, the difference between the Triplex and the later square X-bolt is the fact that the square X-bolt was machined into the frame and connected to the toplever like a Greener X-bolt,whereas the Triplex top fastener was held into the frame by a plate that was screwed into the top of the frame. The square X-bolt was an immensely stronger design than the Triplex, and easier to fit,also.It also came along when smokeless powder appeared by coincidence.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com