doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Buzz Sad news re PA24, Doug Woodin - 03/04/16 12:34 AM
I just received a phone call from Doug's son telling me Doug passed away a couple of days ago. He asked me to make an announcement here to let you know. Doug recently blacked a set of English 28 ga barrels for me, but just prior to that he had some heart trouble and was in a terrible motor vehicle accident. He had a long haul recovery, but nevertheless wanted to finish my barrels. Even being ill, Doug did a superb, really fabulous job rust blacking those barrels. I think Doug was a perfectionist, for sure when it came to working on the guns he loved. He was a very strong man as evidenced by his tenacity. I'm going to miss Doug.
Posted By: David Williamson Re: Sad news re PA24, Doug Woodin - 03/04/16 12:49 AM
So sorry to hear that. My condolences to the family.
I never met Doug but we had PM'd through here, he was a very knowledgeable fellow and will be missed.
Posted By: bbman3 Re: Sad news re PA24, Doug Woodin - 03/04/16 01:04 AM
May God bless his family. Bobby
Posted By: treblig1958 Re: Sad news re PA24, Doug Woodin - 03/04/16 01:31 AM
That's just terrible news. What a talent and what talent we have lost here over such a short period of time.
Posted By: ed good Re: Sad news re PA24, Doug Woodin - 03/04/16 01:35 AM
hopefully, pa is in a better place...
Posted By: CJ Dawe Re: Sad news re PA24, Doug Woodin - 03/04/16 01:52 AM
Horrible news ,his rust blueing was second to none - and he was always willing to help and share info .
Truly shocking
Posted By: James M Re: Sad news re PA24, Doug Woodin - 03/04/16 02:02 AM
I would have to say I'm really shocked. I been in pretty constant contact with Doug for years and while I knew he had medical problems I thought he'd overcome them. My condolences to his family.
Jim
Posted By: craigd Re: Sad news re PA24, Doug Woodin - 03/04/16 02:10 AM
Thanks for passing the note along buzz.
Posted By: gjw Re: Sad news re PA24, Doug Woodin - 03/04/16 03:12 AM
I'm truly shocked about this news, I had no idea that he was ill and now this. He truly was a master at reblueing. He will be missed. Doug and his family will be in our prayers.

Thanks buzz for letting us know.

God Bless Doug

Greg & family
Posted By: Gunflint Charlie Re: Sad news re PA24, Doug Woodin - 03/04/16 03:14 AM
Terribly sorry to hear of Doug's passing ... he was a great asset to this board.

Jay
Posted By: gunsaholic Re: Sad news re PA24, Doug Woodin - 03/04/16 03:52 AM
I never had any barrels done by him but I have seen his work. He was amazing and will be sorely missed by many. My condolences to his family.
Posted By: canvasback Re: Sad news re PA24, Doug Woodin - 03/04/16 04:10 AM
I count myself lucky to have known Doug, even if just over the internet and by phone. We had plans to meet up and attend the Vegas show together this past January that had to be put on hold because of his health. I'm so sorry I never got a chance to meet him in person. He sure was fun to talk to. I can hear him now.

He did a number of barrels for me over the last several years, all fantastic quality. But more importantly, Doug was a hell of a guy. Going to miss him. RIP
Posted By: Ian Nixon Re: Sad news re PA24, Doug Woodin - 03/04/16 06:24 AM
Sad news indeed.
I did enjoy that gent's style and very positive contributions to this BBS.
Gone but not forgotten.
Posted By: tut Re: Sad news re PA24, Doug Woodin - 03/04/16 10:43 AM
That hurts. We talked on the phone on multiple occasions and he was all set to do a set of Fox 20 gauge barrels for me. Turned out the barrels had issues and after and exchange of pictures and phone calls, Doug encouraged me to return the gun which I did. Very knowledgeable and willing to share that knowledge. Will be missed. Amazingly, I was going to contact him today and ask him a few questions on a reblue. That's actually the reason I logged onto this forum today.
Posted By: GLS Re: Sad news re PA24, Doug Woodin - 03/04/16 11:28 AM
Doug was a master at restoration and who can forget the photos of his Sterlys lovingly and masterfully restored. I had heard of his decline and his dogged determination and fight over the past few months and am saddened to hear of his passing. Gil
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: Sad news re PA24, Doug Woodin - 03/04/16 12:30 PM
My condolences to his family.
Posted By: Salopian Re: Sad news re PA24, Doug Woodin - 03/04/16 12:38 PM
A truly sad loss to us enthusiasts.
If there is an afterlife? It will be nice to know that Doug will be re-united with Tony Treadwell, they shared so much knowledge.
God bless them both, their families and of course all of you.
Posted By: J.R.B. Re: Sad news re PA24, Doug Woodin - 03/04/16 12:41 PM
It has taken me a while to collect my thoughts and post. Doug was a very dear friend of mine. It was an honor and privilege to take him on his last hunt. Someday Doug and I will be having our morning coffee and go hunting again in a much better place.
Posted By: wingshooter16 Re: Sad news re PA24, Doug Woodin - 03/04/16 01:47 PM
What a shock. James (Canvasback) just alerted me, and I found this topic. His phone calls were something to experience, especially when his exquisite work was in the hands of carriers not as committed to excellence as was he.

That's just left a hole in the heart.

Mike
Posted By: Dave K Re: Sad news re PA24, Doug Woodin - 03/04/16 02:16 PM
Doug's son Doug Jr called me Wed night to tell me the news and we talked for a good bit about his father and all the talks we had. I was,still am I guess, in shock over this and will miss talking with him about so many things so many times. I PM'ed JRB-we talked that night as well, and contacted Keith shortly after.
What a great man who had an extraordinary life,as I mentioned to his son, its so nice to know some much of his work on guns is in the hands of guys will always remember him.
We are all very lucky to have known Doug,and wish he was here longer with us.
Posted By: Rockdoc Re: Sad news re PA24, Doug Woodin - 03/04/16 02:36 PM
Doug was a great asset to this board. As another member said, if there is an afterlife I hope that he and Tony Treadwell are able to get together!

Steve
Posted By: Tom Bryant Re: Sad news re PA24, Doug Woodin - 03/04/16 02:36 PM
A terrible loss. My thoughts and prayers are with his family.
Posted By: Fin2Feather Re: Sad news re PA24, Doug Woodin - 03/04/16 03:01 PM
I had noticed his absence here for a while now; sad news. RIP Doug.
Posted By: Der Ami Re: Sad news re PA24, Doug Woodin - 03/04/16 03:04 PM
I never knew or dealt with him, but always enjoyed his posts. Rockdoc, that was a great thought about him and Tony Treadwell. Rest in peace Doug.
Mike
Posted By: Ken61 Re: Sad news re PA24, Doug Woodin - 03/04/16 04:01 PM
RIP. What a loss. His work and knowledge will be sadly missed. His standards were so high I was always comparing my work to his as a true high standard.

Ken
Posted By: Dave K Re: Sad news re PA24, Doug Woodin - 03/04/16 04:07 PM
I think many here will remember a time-that happens a lot on this forum when there was a lot of bickering and fighting back and forth and Doug started this thread-which I still think was one of the better ones ever posted on here.
"Member Pics who is who on this forum"
His picture is in the first post,many of us joined in.

http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=254657&page=1
Posted By: GLS Re: Sad news re PA24, Doug Woodin - 03/04/16 04:27 PM
For those new to the forum or have temporarily forgotten about Tony Treadwell, Tony died of cancer after fighting a courageous battle a handful of years ago. Tony was an amateur restorer of old long guns and lived in the UK. He was a prolific poster of his projects. He was amateur in status only as his work was top notch as was Doug's. Doug and Tony struck up a long distance friendship, and after Tony died, Doug stepped up and helped Tony's family in many ways that we will never know. Gil
Posted By: KY Jon Re: Sad news re PA24, Doug Woodin - 03/04/16 04:33 PM
Sad to hear. Rip
Posted By: J.R.B. Re: Sad news re PA24, Doug Woodin - 03/04/16 04:50 PM
Originally Posted By: Dave K
I think many here will remember a time-that happens a lot on this forum when there was a lot of bickering and fighting back and forth and Doug started this thread-which I still think was one of the better ones ever posted on here.

http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=254657&page=1

Yes Dave and who can forget this one. Doug and I laughed our a$$es off when we did this.----> http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=324963&page=1
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Sad news re PA24, Doug Woodin - 03/04/16 04:57 PM
Like J.R.B., it has been hard to get my mind on much else since hearing of my friend Doug's passing. Doug would not like us making a big fuss over him. He did not care much for attention, much less pity. But he was such a special person that those of us who knew him cannot help but sing his praises as we deal with this huge loss. He and I became friends years ago and, as we talked in the years after, we found that we had so much in common that the friendship just grew stronger. I was fearful of the bad news after the last time I talked with him, he sounded so weak.

I will miss him for a long, long time. His standards of work are what I shoot for when working on my guns, and I will be forever grateful for knowing him.

SRH
Posted By: Joe Wood Re: Sad news re PA24, Doug Woodin - 03/04/16 04:57 PM
I am sick to hear this news! Visited several times on the phone and e-mails about guns and airplanes. Very nice gentleman. This board has lost a very valuable member.

God wrap his loving arms around the family and give them the comfort only he can give.
Posted By: treblig1958 Re: Sad news re PA24, Doug Woodin - 03/04/16 06:08 PM
Originally Posted By: Dave K

I wonder how many of those guys who posted in Doug's thread are still with us.
Posted By: keith Re: Sad news re PA24, Doug Woodin - 03/04/16 07:07 PM
As DaveK said earlier, he and J.R.B. informed me of Doug's passing yesterday morning. We exchanged multiple PM's sharing our grief and discussing how best to pay our respects to this great guy. Those of us who knew him and corresponded with him via PM's, e-mail, and telephone knew Doug was a tough man with firm convictions. As Stan said, he would not want us making a big fuss over him. But the sad news is out and really, there are not enough words to describe him.

Doug was a true patriot and Military Veteran and served his country proudly. He was a staunch defender of the Constitution, and especially the Second Amendment. By the quality of his workmanship, one would think he was a full-time professional Gunsmith and member of the ACGG rather than a commercial airlines pilot. He not only shared pictures of his work here, but for those with an appreciation of it, he would also gladly share priceless advice. Many here don't know it, but when Tony Treadwell was suffering from his terminal illness, Doug was tutoring him from half way around the world because he knew how much Tony loved working on guns and how it kept his mind busy and occupied at a time when most men would be fearful and feeling sorry for themselves. Our tough as nails friend had a very kind and compassionate side, and a great sense of humor. Like canvasback, I am also kicking myself for not making the time to personally meet Doug. He had called and invited me to stay at his place so we could go to the Las Vegas Antique Arms Show. As I recall, he said the daily trip from his place to Vegas would only take about an hour because he'd be driving 90 to 100 mph. I was not able to arrange the time off work, and said maybe next year. Makes you stop and think about how we stack our priorities. Work is still here and a friend is gone.

As I went through the day yesterday, I was struck by a deep sense of loss, and never thought I could feel this way about someone I had never personally met. Doug and his family will remain in my thoughts and prayers.
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: Sad news re PA24, Doug Woodin - 03/04/16 08:58 PM
Originally Posted By: treblig1958

I wonder how many of those guys who posted in Doug's thread are still with us.

I posted a pic on that thread and remember it well. Our internet community is diminished by his loss. I wish his family all the best during their grief...Geo
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Sad news re PA24, Doug Woodin - 03/05/16 02:08 AM
I said my goodbyes to my buddy Doug this evening. I spent about an hour sitting on the dock at a pond on my place remembering him. I enjoyed a Cohiba as I recalled the impact Doug had on me. As I snapped this picture I realized there was a jet leaving a vapor trail in the sunset. A fitting tribute, I thought, to a veteran aviator and commercial jet pilot. If you zoom in you can barely see the vapor trail just above and to the left of the setting sun.

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of earth,
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;
Sunward I've climbed, and joined the tumbling mirth
Of sun-split clouds, --and done a hundred things
You have not dreamed of --Wheeled and soared and swung
High in the sunlit silence. Hov'ring there
I've chased the shouting wind along, and flung
My eager craft through footless halls of air...
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue
I've topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace
Where never lark or even eagle flew --
And, while with silent lifting mind I've trod
The high untrespassed sanctity of space,
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

Rest in peace my friend, SRH
Posted By: PA24 Re: Sad news re PA24, Doug Woodin - 03/05/16 05:59 PM
Hello,

Doug Jr. here. What a kind post. Thank you all very much. My dad was a special person, and not only to me but to many. I am honored to be his son and to have spent a good amount of time with him enoying life. He loved God, my mom, airplanes, cars and GUNS and was knowledgable about most of them. You can't figure out women and God works in mysterious ways sometimes, but he sure knew guns.

He spoke of many of you as good friends, fellow Americans and fine people. I am sure that he would want some of you to have part of his gun collection. I am not going to keep all of it, for its just too big for me. So if any of you would like to purchase one of Dad's fine guns feel free to let me know. A few you already have. In fact one gentlman is driving up soon to get some of the bullets and supplies. He has alot!!!! Thank you all again so very much. God bless you and talk with you soon.
Sincerely,
Doug Jr. Contact info- Woody1@infowest.com
Posted By: gunny Re: Sad news re PA24, Doug Woodin - 03/05/16 11:07 PM
We lost a GOOD one! RIP Doug we will miss you. My condolences to the family.
Posted By: Chuck H Re: Sad news re PA24, Doug Woodin - 03/06/16 07:56 PM
Sad to hear this. I spoke with Doug a couple months ago about his blacking technique. He gave me insight into his process I wouldn't have come upon on my own. We shared some pilot stories, sharing our experiences with the P-51. I believe he mentioned he was a retired military and airline pilot.

My condolences to the family.
Posted By: tw Re: Sad news re PA24, Doug Woodin - 03/08/16 12:10 AM
I never had the pleasure of knowing Mr. Wooden personally, but I valued his posts and read most, if not all of them.

Doug Jr., as you've noted; your dad was a highly valued member of this little club that Dave Weber had the foresight to gift us with. It would be my fondest hope that you stick around & share some of your dad's wisdom w/us, as is possible, of course.

Very sorry to learn of his passing. Know already that you have some insights none here would have. Know that you are welcome, on any and every basis. Your dad has left a LOT of indelible impressions. All good, as Bill Wise oft said.
Posted By: Chuck H Re: Sad news re PA24, Doug Woodin - 03/08/16 02:14 PM
Doug Jr.,
I think everyone here would appreciate some pictures of your father. Many of us have corresponded or spoke with him over the years, but had not met in-person.
Regards
Chuck
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com