doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Bruce in WV Can a stock blank be too dry? - 03/11/16 12:03 AM
I have a 75 year-old French walnut stock blank that has been following me around the country since I took it out of my Dad's gun room after he died. I'm ready to use it finally now that I'm settled down.
I once read a comment from a stockmaker that older blanks get too hard (ultra low moisture content) and can't be worked. I wonder if it is usable or has gotten too dry over the years.
Is this concern valid - and how will I know if my stock has passed its "use by" date?
Posted By: wingshooter16 Re: Can a stock blank be too dry? - 03/11/16 12:31 AM
I am not a stock maker, but have had a love affair with walnut for 50 years. I know that antique restorers and museum support artisans greatly prize old wood/veneer that they can get their hands on. Borers, powder post beetles are more a problem in old wood/furniture than moisture- especially in a climate controlled environment.

Once the "bound moisture" in the wood cells has "left", the wood will largely acclimate to its host environment; it will not continue to lose moisture beyond the relative humidity of its environment.

I have in the safe a French blank that's appx. 40 years old, with an MC (moisture content) perfect for working (9-12 % is a good range). So I don't believe there is a "use by" issue, though you should be careful if the blank has been in a desert environment and your stocker is in Florida.

At the end of the day, get your stockmaker's opinion of the blank and its suitability for the project.

Mike
Posted By: Bruce in WV Re: Can a stock blank be too dry? - 03/11/16 01:03 AM
Thanks, Mike.
Great info and good advice ("Get your stockmaker's opinion.")
That's what I needed to know.
Posted By: bbman3 Re: Can a stock blank be too dry? - 03/11/16 01:23 AM
Some say that the pores get smaller on an old blank.Bobby
Posted By: tut Re: Can a stock blank be too dry? - 03/11/16 01:53 AM
I think a bit depends on how dry. I know more then a few years ago a fellow found a number of blanks in an attic out west (Nevada I think). The wood had literally baked until it became ultra brittle and developed large seasoning cracks for the heat. I think if it was stored in a normal environment that wouldn't be an issue. In itself, I don't believe your blank is too hard to work as long as its been stored correctly.
Posted By: GregSY Re: Can a stock blank be too dry? - 03/11/16 02:53 AM
I always wonder about guys who take old stocks and soak them in acetone for days on end. That can't be good....
Posted By: bonny Re: Can a stock blank be too dry? - 03/11/16 03:05 AM
Originally Posted By: GregSY
I always wonder about guys who take old stocks and soak them in acetone for days on end. That can't be good....

And probably unneccessary too. The last stock i had with the head soaked in oil, didn't need days soaking in acetone, gentle heat from a heat gun and the oil oozed out, to be wiped off with a rag soaked in turps. Turned out fine.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com