doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Marks_21 16 ga Herters Cabelas loads. - 03/14/16 12:44 PM
Does anyone have a pressure figure for them?
I am pretty hesitant to use them in a vintage double, but I bought a bunch as hull cores for future loading.
Do I need to stick to my original plan and have someone run them through an A5 and not shoot them in 2 3/4 in fluid doubles ?
Posted By: Lloyd3 Re: 16 ga Herters Cabelas loads. - 03/14/16 01:12 PM
No data, but a fair amount of use tells me that they are too-hot for fragile stuff.
Posted By: gjw Re: 16 ga Herters Cabelas loads. - 03/14/16 02:33 PM
Hi, I agree with Lloyd. I doubt if they are lower pressure loads. I think you'd be better off sticking to your original plan.

BTW, the Herters hulls reload very nicely.

Good Luck!

Greg
Posted By: jlb Re: 16 ga Herters Cabelas loads. - 03/14/16 02:59 PM
What constitutes a vintage double?

I have a Ithaca NID, should I worry about the pressure trap loads generate?

thanks

jlb
Posted By: Marks_21 Re: 16 ga Herters Cabelas loads. - 03/14/16 03:12 PM
JLB,
Certainly we all have our opinions. Personally I error on the safe side. I shoot lower pressure 2.5 in loads in all my vintage doubles. I do this whether is it a Damascus gun with short chambers or a Smith Long range with 3in chambers, or perhaps an NID mag with 3 in chambers. I do this for care and to reduce wear and tear not because I worry about a catastrophic failure.
In that statement I have likely answered my own question-- but cases of $5 boxes of 16 ga shells appeal to the cheap side of me.
Posted By: Lawrence Kotchek Re: 16 ga Herters Cabelas loads. - 03/14/16 06:36 PM
I shoot them in several of my Belgian Bayard hammer guns, my Stevens 520 pump and my Darne.
I dont know the pressure but they have less recoil than Remington Game Loads or RST papers which I also shoot.
I've never had any gun issues with them. The Remingtons seem to have hard primers and I have some FTF issues with them.
I am a fan for whatever thats worth.
Posted By: builder Re: 16 ga Herters Cabelas loads. - 03/14/16 07:20 PM
I have shot 6's in one ounce on SD pheasants through a 6lb. Sterlingworth mod/superfull with great success. I think they have two different one ounce loads. I used the slower one. Unfortunately, they don't seem to offer a 7/8 ounce version.
Posted By: Mark II Re: 16 ga Herters Cabelas loads. - 03/14/16 08:42 PM
If the 16's are made the same place as the 20's they are made to CIP standards.
Posted By: MikeV Re: 16 ga Herters Cabelas loads. - 03/14/16 08:45 PM
FWIW. One once load of 6s or 8s listed at 1165 fps on Cabelas site.
Posted By: tut Re: 16 ga Herters Cabelas loads. - 03/14/16 09:50 PM
They IMO fall in between RST and Remington Game Loads as far as punch/recoil goes. I've shot quite a few of them and they seem to perform well.
Posted By: Lloyd3 Re: 16 ga Herters Cabelas loads. - 03/15/16 03:02 AM
In guns designed to use modern 2 3/4-inch shells(I would think that this includes Ithaca NIDs), they are a very good value. A little dirty, but otherwise great performance for the money. In an older, much lighter gun, however, I don't think a steady diet is a good idea.
Posted By: Boats Re: 16 ga Herters Cabelas loads. - 03/15/16 12:22 PM
They have too much recoil for my SXS guns. I shoot them in a M 31 Remington then use the hulls for light shot load low recoil target loads.

Boats
Posted By: treblig1958 Re: 16 ga Herters Cabelas loads. - 03/15/16 12:47 PM
Originally Posted By: Marks_21
Does anyone have a pressure figure for them?
I am pretty hesitant to use them in a vintage double, but I bought a bunch as hull cores for future loading.
Do I need to stick to my original plan and have someone run them through an A5 and not shoot them in 2 3/4 in fluid doubles ?

I guess that would depend on what your vintage doubles are in 16 gauge. I go by the rule if the gun was built with the correct chamber size I really don't worry about the load. I just don't run a steady diet of them.
Posted By: L. Brown Re: 16 ga Herters Cabelas loads. - 03/15/16 02:12 PM
I have not shot as many as tut, but I'd tend to agree. 1 oz 8's @ 1165 fps in a Sterlingworth that's just over 6#, not an issue for me in the recoil department. Just checked a box. They are marked with the CIP seal, so pressure shouldn't be a consideration as long as you're shooting a gun with 2 3/4" chambers.
Posted By: mike campbell Re: 16 ga Herters Cabelas loads. - 03/15/16 06:18 PM
I wouldn't shoot anything in a gun if I were concerned about its ability to handle ammo loaded to SAAMI spec.

My only interest in the Herters stuff was so I could toss the empties from my 1100 and not pick them up. They won't cycle my gun.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com