doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: swoobie H&H = Holland and Holland?? - 04/22/16 10:47 PM
Caveat Emptor!

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=554518064
Posted By: Buzz Re: H&H = Holland and Holland?? - 04/22/16 11:38 PM
It's likely real.
Posted By: LeFusil Re: H&H = Holland and Holland?? - 04/22/16 11:43 PM
Real. Obviously not made in their factory. A 100% W&S made gun. The guns marked "H&H"usually are labeled "shot and regulated by". Strictly a quick money maker for the company during slow times.
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: H&H = Holland and Holland?? - 04/23/16 12:02 AM
Don't know what their reserve might be but the 'buy it now' number seems way high for what it is...Geo
Posted By: David Re: H&H = Holland and Holland?? - 04/23/16 01:07 AM
Agree with Dustin. Just because a maker now only makes best guns, doesn't mean they always only made best guns. It would be nice to see the proof marks and the rib. Purdey also sold W&S box lock guns as did others.
Posted By: Dan S. W. Re: H&H = Holland and Holland?? - 04/23/16 03:11 AM
Think Diggory discusses this model in his Boxlock book. My recollection of that is consistent with what LeFusil said.
Posted By: DLA Re: H&H = Holland and Holland?? - 04/23/16 10:49 AM
Definitely check Diggory's Boxlock book. Lots of info on the Northwood.

Dennis
Posted By: lagopus Re: H&H = Holland and Holland?? - 04/23/16 12:06 PM
Some were built by Webley & Scott when Hollands owned W & S for a while but this one looks like the earlier model made in the 50's for H & H by either S.Wright of Birmingham or possibly A.A.Brown. If the latter then it's about as good a boxlock as you can get for quality of workmanship. It should just say on the top rib 'Shot and Regulated by Holland & Holland. Not a H & H but a gun sold and marketed by them. Just like Purdey they had some guns made in Birmingham but at least they didn't try to indicate that they built it just shot and regulated it.

Looks rather expensive by U.K. standards. Lagopus.....
Posted By: Slowpokebill Re: H&H = Holland and Holland?? - 04/23/16 01:30 PM
For purely selfish reasons I hope they get their price. I own a similarly marked gun.

I bought mine a number of years ago at a price on the high end of what you could have any other Webley & Scott 700. It is marked Shot and Regulated by Holland & Holland.

According to an email from Holland Holland my gun was manufactured by Webley & Scott in 1967 for Holland Holland to fill lower market need to get them through tough times. The email also is very specific that mine is not a true Holland & Holland gun but just a gun sold by them.

The one in the ad is definitely a slightly high grade gun than mine. I would say they are shooting for the moon with that price.

Posted By: swoobie Re: H&H = Holland and Holland?? - 04/23/16 02:02 PM
Well I'm learning something new here - the only H&H I've handled (years ago) had Belgium proofs..
Posted By: 2-piper Re: H&H = Holland and Holland?? - 04/23/16 03:56 PM
Originally Posted By: swoobie
Well I'm learning something new here - the only H&H I've handled (years ago) had Belgium proofs..

Years ago I was offered a box lock marked Holland Holland (Sans the ampersand). Even though very reasonably priced for what appeared to be a reasonable sound gun I passed on it when I saw the Belgian proof marks. Quite certain it was neither built Nor regulated by H&H in England. I simply had no desire for a gun which the maker felt the need to put someone else's name on.
Posted By: 1cdog Re: H&H = Holland and Holland?? - 04/23/16 10:32 PM
Way over priced IMHO.

$8.8K will buy a whole lot of 12 gauge in this market.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com