doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: lagopus The Ultimate Have-a-Go Challenge. - 07/20/16 02:33 PM
28 driven pheasants shot in one minute, here's how; http://www.fieldsportschannel.tv/riponchallenge/ Lagopus.....
Posted By: Jack K Re: The Ultimate Have-a-Go Challenge. - 07/20/16 05:23 PM
That looked like good fun, wish I was there!

Jack K
Posted By: Ken Nelson Re: The Ultimate Have-a-Go Challenge. - 07/20/16 07:16 PM
I could do it!
Just keep those doubles loaded!! laugh
I noticed that His Lordship (Limey dude in the plaid shooting jacket) re-mounted his gun(s) after the first shot before he took the second barrel (rearmost trigger) about 60% of the time during this ultimate shooting contest. Same gun mount and left hand position each time- all 3 12 bore side-by-sides were AYA shotguns? I have heard of both a "matched pair" and also a "composed pair" but a trio? Very interesting, although they used clays- would like to see the same results on real driven high pheasants. I wondered about the chokes and shot sizes used- for this shoot on clay targets, and if the same chokes and loads would work on driven birds? Shattered clays are fun, but nothing can compare with the crumple and drift of body feathers from a rooster pheasant well killed in flight. Jolly Good work, Lads, jolly good indeed..
Posted By: Joe Wood Re: The Ultimate Have-a-Go Challenge. - 07/20/16 11:04 PM
Sets of three were fairly common in the early years of driven game and breechloading shotguns. A set of three was called something like garricture (sp). I have an early hammer gun with the Jone's underlever clearly marked #3 in several locations.
Posted By: trw999 Re: The Ultimate Have-a-Go Challenge. - 07/21/16 05:38 AM
Garniture is the term you're after, though it tends to refer to a collection of guns. A trio of guns would be more accurate.

I'm not sure that a trio was 'fairly common' but certainly not unheard of, as indeed was a quartet of guns, which were rare.

Tim
My Webster's defines garniture (page 576) as: "An ornament, decoration, embellishment, trimming. Says nothing about a "triptych of shotguns"- nada, zilch. And proper grammar would be: "You're instead of your-- or even more proper, old boy- You are instead of your" in your sentence structure. My late Mother was a HS teacher, grammar and composition- so I have a keen eye for such errors in the written text. Not so obvious in the spoken word, how-some-ever.
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: The Ultimate Have-a-Go Challenge. - 07/21/16 07:05 PM
Try the Hallowell definition:"Garniture - A deluxe set of several different associated weapons, being any combination of rifle, shotgun, various handguns, and possibly a knife or two, cased together with appropriate cleaning and loading tools."...Geo
Webster I know. Who is this Hallowell guy?
Posted By: trw999 Re: The Ultimate Have-a-Go Challenge. - 07/21/16 10:15 PM
'You are', shortened to 'you're' or further shortened by my fat finger to 'your', but now corrected.

Being pedantic RWTF, you should have more properly used inverted commas like this - "You're" instead of "your". I had a classical education....

Back on topic and for clarification, Holts have the following descriptions to exemplify the use of the word 'garniture' in connection with guns:

ABBIATICO & SALVINELLI A GARNITURE OF EXCALIBUR ROUND-BODIED DELUXE OVER AND UNDER EJECTORS IN 12 AND 20-BORE, no. F1071 / F1255

A BRASS-CORNERED OAK AND LEATHER GUNCASE FOR A GARNITURE OF GUNS

A RARE CASED GARNITURE OF BELGIAN REVOLVERS, MODELS .36 COLT BREVETE & 54-BORE ADAMS PATENT, serial nos. 6322 & 4509

H. DUMOULIN & FILS A FINE GARNITURE OF COMMEMORATIVE BOLT-MAGAZINE SPORTING RIFLES, serial no. 001 and 1 / 5

CHURCHILL (GUNMAKERS) LTD. A FINE GARNITURE OF REGAL XXV BOXLOCK EJECTORS IN 20-BORE, 28-BORE AND .410, serial no. 23813 / 4 / 5

HARTMANN & WEISS A VERY FINE AND VIRTUALLY UNUSED COGGAN-ENGRAVED SYSTEM HAGN TAKE-DOWN FALLING-BLOCK SPORTING RIFLE WITH A GARNITURE OF BARRELS IN .375 H & H MAGNUM, 7X57 AND .22-250 CALIBRES

J. PURDEY & SONS A MAGNIFICENT GARNITURE OF THREE 12-BORE SELF-OPENING SIDELOCK EJECTORS, serial no. 19246 / 7 and 20371

Tim

Posted By: FlyChamps Re: The Ultimate Have-a-Go Challenge. - 07/22/16 01:20 AM
Originally Posted By: Run With The Fox
I noticed that His Lordship (Limey dude in the plaid shooting jacket). . .

. . . all 3 12 bore side-by-sides were AYA shotguns?

Run, the "Limey due in the plaid shooting jacket" was most certainly shooting all AyA shotguns - he's Edward King, the AyA importer for the UK.
If his Lordship had a cigar in his mouth whilst blasting the clays with the "tres escopetas de Espana" would he then be "King Edward"? One wonders, n'ces pas?? El Zorro.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com