doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: wannagohunting Gun Safe racks for Double Guns Help! - 08/02/16 10:26 PM
I recently purchased a new Cannon 42 gun gun safe.
It was way to crowded for 42 guns so I removed the middle row from the slot rack so it now has 28 slots.
1. The cut out slots are too narrow for double barrels if one gets bumped and slips out of the notch it can cause others to domino out.
2. The spacing of the notches is a bit too close also. Some frames bump each other.

I probably will end up rebuilding the entire slot rack. Anyone have any good ideas?
Thank you,

Posted By: old colonel Re: Gun Safe racks for Double Guns Help! - 08/02/16 10:58 PM
Solved the problem you are having by storing barrel down so the butts were in the narrow slot. I prefer barrel down as any excess oil does not go in the head of the stock.

Note you will have pad the floor of the safe. You could fabricate a padded rail for it
Posted By: Buzz Re: Gun Safe racks for Double Guns Help! - 08/03/16 12:06 AM
I agree with Old Colonel, I like to put them upside down too. OR, you could just sell some of those guns and then make the slots bigger, because it looks like you already have too many guns, since you can only shoot one at a time...........just kidding you! ;-)
Posted By: Last Dollar Re: Gun Safe racks for Double Guns Help! - 08/03/16 12:08 AM
What they said...Muzzle down...
Muzzle down and I cannot shut the door. so would have to somehow
make the front row further back.
Posted By: KY Jon Re: Gun Safe racks for Double Guns Help! - 08/03/16 04:16 AM
I made my racks by drilling over lapping 1" holes side by side. Kind of a flat figure eight. To get the gun into the space you have to twist it in sideways slightly. I lined them with a soft rubber/silicone mesh so the barrels did not get rubbed. By keeping them with a small potion overlapping the barrels the racks firmly hold the guns in place so that even if I tip the safe they can not fall out of the racks.

Don't know if you can get your racks out but I would try making them in a soft wood, which I would then fit into the safe. If you are looking for maximum capacity you could alternate putting one gun barrels down and one barrels up. Then add a soft strap to the top rack to keep the butts firmly in place. Or even set one side of the rack for barrels and one for butts on the middle rack. Drill a deep set of two to three one inch holes to fit the stock into on the back side of your rack. Small elastic or light bungee cord holds the butt in the rack. It might nit seem like a big improvement but I can get an extra eight or ten guns stored the what is a otherwise full safe area.
My Cannon is a smaller safe (have a second safe for rifles) and like others I prefer to store barrel down. Took out the factory racks, made one from a piece of plywood, glued door weatherstripping around the U shaped slots, then covered that with painters tape. Also added two pieces of plywood to the floor (covered in a gun cleaning mat) to keep from hitting the barrels on the door frame. Allows me to keep 12 guns that can be moved without hitting each other.

Posted By: canvasback Re: Gun Safe racks for Double Guns Help! - 08/03/16 07:53 PM
I'm away and can't really post what I'd like but when back home I will post pics of the custom rack I made for a "25" gun Champion safe. Holds 20 SxS comfortably. Did it before I got knowledgable about the muzzle up or down debate and have just not bothered making a new one that fits the stocks rather than the muzzles. I have done the measurements and know it will work muzzle down. Made it out of walnut with brass hardware. Looks pretty nice.
Posted By: eightbore Re: Gun Safe racks for Double Guns Help! - 08/03/16 09:45 PM
Take the top shelf/barrel holder out and build a new one with the proper hole spacing. Round holes are easiest to cut. Carpet the shelf over the whole surface. Glue the carpet to the shelf, slit the carpet at the holes, push the slit carpet through with the proper size utensil (I use a six ounce cheese glass) after putting glue on the under side of the slit carpet. I did a Browning document safe that had no shelves and it took no time at all. It holds 26 guns if none are bolt action rifles.
Posted By: bsteele Re: Gun Safe racks for Double Guns Help! - 08/04/16 02:13 AM
I made one for my shop by drilling holes with a hole saw (2-1/2" maybe) then ripping the board through the center of the holes. Very nicely fits any double.
Posted By: oldr31 Re: Gun Safe racks for Double Guns Help! - 08/05/16 01:19 PM
I've had good luck with the "hole saw-rip down the middle" technique for outdoor SC gun stands. Just cleaned up the edges with a hand held router and round-over bit. Don't know how it would work for a gun safe.

The obvious answer is a larger safe or fewer guns!
Posted By: drhall762 Re: Gun Safe racks for Double Guns Help! - 08/05/16 03:57 PM
I've got some info on rack construction that has some good dimensions. If anyone need them let me know.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com