doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Chantry W.C. Scott & Sons grading system - 08/18/16 03:09 PM
I know the premier grade is the top grade of shotgun made by W.C. Scott & Sons, but I have a Special grade hammered 16 bore made in 1878 and I am wondering where stands in the grading system.
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: W.C. Scott & Sons grading system - 08/18/16 03:25 PM
I have found the reproduction catalogs available from Cornell Publications <www.cornellpubs.com> to be useful. I have an 1891 W&CScott&Son catalog from them, but do not see any mention of a Special grade hammer-gun...Geo
Posted By: L. Brown Re: W.C. Scott & Sons grading system - 08/18/16 03:30 PM
According to the Scott book: "The Special Grade was a plain quality gun that sold for $80 in 1880. The Excel Quality and The Victoria were medium grade hammer guns." In 1883, the Special sold for 12 1/2 pounds, compared to 27 1/2 for the Pigeon Club Gun, and 42 pounds for the Premier.
Posted By: 67galaxie Re: W.C. Scott & Sons grading system - 08/19/16 02:29 AM
Originally Posted By: Geo. Newbern
I have found the reproduction catalogs available from Cornell Publications <www.cornellpubs.com> to be useful. I have an 1891 W&CScott&Son catalog from them, but do not see any mention of a Special grade hammer-gun...Geo
thanks for the information. I am looking for a set of hammers for a 12 W.C. Scott
Posted By: Tamid Re: W.C. Scott & Sons grading system - 08/19/16 04:16 AM
I would like to know more about the Victoria hammergun From the best of my research I think that is the grade I have however it is stamped made in London and makers for the King of Sweden and Denmark made in 1887. A very nice damascus barreled gun reproofed after 1954 ornate hammers and nice engraving. If it is a medium grade Scott them what is the premium grade?
Imperial Premier was Scott's top grade.
Posted By: justin Re: W.C. Scott & Sons grading system - 08/19/16 11:54 AM
I,m curious about this Imperial Premier,RB. Have you seen one? I know Hussey named the Premiers he bought in Imperials for sale,but can't remember where I saw the reference to Imperial Premier.
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: W.C. Scott & Sons grading system - 08/19/16 12:41 PM
I don't think the Imperial Premier came along until later with side lock guns.
Justin,

I had an Imperial Premier and let it get away.
Posted By: justin Re: W.C. Scott & Sons grading system - 08/19/16 05:40 PM
That's very cool. I'll look forward to the pictures

Posted By: AmarilloMike Re: W.C. Scott & Sons grading system - 08/19/16 09:18 PM
I sold this Premier Imperial several years ago. Regretted it several times too.

Posted By: L. Brown Re: W.C. Scott & Sons grading system - 08/20/16 06:35 PM
I think just plain Premier was the top grade in Scott hammerguns.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com