doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: randy Spreader load - 09/03/16 05:43 PM
Is it possible to use the 20 gauge spreader load insert in a 12 gauge load to spread the pattern out for the 12 gauge
Posted By: TwiceBarrel Re: Spreader load - 09/03/16 09:35 PM
Yes but it probably won't be as effective as using the 12 or even the 16 gauge insert.
Posted By: GLS Re: Spreader load - 09/03/16 10:05 PM
Here's a recent discussion of 12 ga. spreader loads with a comparison of the "x" card and Polywad insert.
http://gobblernation.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=13226
Posted By: Boats Re: Spreader load - 09/04/16 01:01 PM
I use 12 G Polywad inserts in 10 G shells, 20s in 16. They pattern to my satisfaction. Only way to know for sure is pattern.

I don't expect a lot from spreaders. 20 yards or less in tight choked guns they are very effective.

Boats
Posted By: GLS Re: Spreader load - 09/04/16 02:51 PM
The crux of the link above which links to the link below, is that the effectiveness of the Polywad insert is considerably improved in the center of the pattern by layering a small amount of shot on top of the disk. Mike Campbell credits Robert Harris in the thread below for teaching him this improvement:
http://www.16ga.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5701
Posted By: randy Re: Spreader load - 09/04/16 04:25 PM
Thanks guys, using those inserts seems to be the way to go rather than opening the chokes In the old Parker
Posted By: Boats Re: Spreader load - 09/04/16 07:03 PM
Opening Parker chokes is a crap shoot, not a lot of chance it's going to turn out well. Under 20 yards anything but a Skeet gun is handicapped, Spreaders help.

Boats
Posted By: L. Brown Re: Spreader load - 09/05/16 03:05 PM
Back when I was shooting 16's a lot, I tried the 20ga SpredR inserts as well as the 16's. 16's sometimes gave almost too much spread, leaving a weak center. 20's didn't spread as much as I wanted. In addition to the shot on top of the insert, Jay Menefee used to--and maybe still does--include another method for modifying the inserts to give good spread but improve center density: punching holes in the insert. I experimented with a paper punch, cutting out 3 little semicircles around the periphery of the insert. Found that those modified inserts produced patterns I liked better than both unmodified 16ga inserts or 20ga inserts in a 16.
Posted By: Paul Harm Re: Spreader load - 09/05/16 04:13 PM
Opening the chokes on any shotgun, and I've done it on about 15 of my SxS's [ Parkers included ], is not a crap shoot in my opinion. I've been very satisfied with the results.
Posted By: ChiefShotguns Re: Spreader load - 09/05/16 04:20 PM
Opening chokes CAN be a crap shoot, but it can also be done very successfully. Depends on who does the job. A shade tree gunsmith is very likely to bugger the job. There are indeed experienced gunsmiths who do very good work on opening chokes. You get what you pay for.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com