doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: James M Parker DHE Dilemma - 10/08/16 09:50 PM
I may have the opportunity to acquire this Parker DHE that was made in 1928. However there are issues with this gun. You may want to hold your comment until I've finished posting:

I'll start with the good points:
It is a late DHE with 32" barrels choked full and full wit a factory ventilated rib. The barrels are in extremely good condition. The gun still locksup like a proverbial bank vault. While the serial number isn't listed in the Parker book I suspect it was originally order as a gun for pass shooting out of a blind and then unfortunately modified.

Posted By: James M Re: Parker DHE Dilemma - 10/08/16 09:55 PM
Now for the bad points:
None of the stockwork is original to the gun and I suspect it was modified for trap shooting at some time:
The beavertail forend while not original is a decent piece of work that I could like with.

Posted By: James M Re: Parker DHE Dilemma - 10/08/16 09:58 PM
Now for the truly ugly: The buttstock is a real mess as it no only was ended out but at sometime the stock apparently sported a raised cheekpiece that was later crudely removed. Additionally the safety was also removed and the slot filled in:

I would appreciate fellow members opinions as to what it's worth in it's current state and if it would be cost feasible to at least fix(butt transplant?) the buttstock?
Jim
Posted By: Shotgunjones Re: Parker DHE Dilemma - 10/08/16 10:18 PM
The metal is pretty nice.

Guess it all depends if you want a DHE project or not.

It could become a money pit.

I'd be tempted to leave it as a trap gun.

A good wood guy can do wonders with the stock, and put a new trap style pad on it.

Of course, restoring the safety function also would make it very usable with non-tox as a duck gun.

Not much help, I know.... to me it's a trap gun that needs a good wood overhaul. I think that would be cost effective.
Posted By: tut Re: Parker DHE Dilemma - 10/08/16 10:24 PM
Money pit IMO. That is if you want to make it sorta right. If you just want to leave it as it is and shoot it then it all depends on what the seller wants for it. I sure wouldn't wouldn't want to pay too much for it.
Posted By: bill schodlatz Re: Parker DHE Dilemma - 10/09/16 12:30 AM
I have a DHE original vent rib 32 inch gun. I use it for side by side trap and it shoots like a rifle. Mine is not listed but it was confirmed to be original by the Parker Collectors. You fail to mention two things. Is the beaver tail original with the through bolt and reinforced splinter? What's the price. If you pass please pass the info on to me. I love project guns!

bill
Posted By: John Roberts Re: Parker DHE Dilemma - 10/09/16 12:37 AM
Price?
JR
Posted By: James M Re: Parker DHE Dilemma - 10/09/16 01:15 AM
The forearm while having the through bolt is not original. The metal is ok but the wood is definitely a replacement. The owner wants $3000 for it. I'd be interested in the values you gentlemen place on it.
If I buy it I will probably get a butt transplant and let it go at that.
Jim
Posted By: Austin Hawthorne Re: Parker DHE Dilemma - 10/09/16 02:23 AM
Pass.
Posted By: James M Re: Parker DHE Dilemma - 10/09/16 04:40 AM
I forget to mention one thing above the frame is a size 7.
Jim
Posted By: tut Re: Parker DHE Dilemma - 10/09/16 10:12 AM
Originally Posted By: James M
I forget to mention one thing above the frame is a size 7.
Jim

I'm guessing you mean frame size is 2??
Posted By: B. Dudley Re: Parker DHE Dilemma - 10/09/16 12:23 PM
It would be a 2. Likely a worn 2 stamp. 7 feames werw only used on 8g hammer guns.

The forend sure looks original. What makes you thinknit is not??? Especially if it has the drawbolt and 1pc forend loop. And the buttstock is original. Just heavily altered. The safety being filled in, if engraved over, is factory. The gun was ordered without a safety. Common feature for a target gun.

The metal condition is great and it is a vent rib ejector gun. It is WELL worth the $3k even with the stock issues. Considering that is it did not have the issues, it would be a $7- 9k gun.

What is the delemma here?
Posted By: Boats Re: Parker DHE Dilemma - 10/09/16 12:29 PM
If it fits you as is 3000 is probably not to much, leaving the gun as is. Real question is are you are looking for that configuration can you shoot it and don't mind ugly.

3000 and a re-stock about doubles the money you would have in the gun and you would wait a long time to have the work completed. 6000 for a gun thats been re-stocked ? Not a bad thing if money is not the question. Brian's 6 to 7 all Origional estimate gun would be a better buy

I would pay too much for a 32 inch DH that fit and looked good no matter what the investment potential is.

Boats
Posted By: Fourteener54 Re: Parker DHE Dilemma - 10/09/16 12:32 PM
My grandfather remembered he had an axe that was very serviceable. He said he only replaced the handle three times and the head once.

How someone started with a Parker and made a Franken gun out of it is beyond belief and $3K
Posted By: Run With The Fox Re: Parker DHE Dilemma - 10/09/16 12:33 PM
It depends, IMO, how much usage you have for a 8 plus pound 32" tightly choked double with a raised ventilated rib- if you are a pass shooter, or a live bird shooter, perhaps. The stock could be repaired by a good stock man, if the mechanics- trigger pulls, ejectors in time, gun is on face are correct- $3K is not a bad price- replacing the removed safety with original parts might be a bit of a challenge, but if you can hit clays or birds with it, even as is- yes- go for it. Not the gun I would choose for walking up pheasants behind dogs in SD, but for the incomers as a blocker- pass shooting-- RWTF
Posted By: eightbore Re: Parker DHE Dilemma - 10/09/16 03:03 PM
Again, what makes you think the forend is not original? How about showing us some pictures of the forend off the gun and the bottom of the barrels at the action.
Posted By: John Roberts Re: Parker DHE Dilemma - 10/09/16 04:01 PM
Originally Posted By: B. Dudley
It would be a 2. Likely a worn 2 stamp. 7 feames werw only used on 8g hammer guns.

The forend sure looks original. What makes you thinknit is not??? Especially if it has the drawbolt and 1pc forend loop. And the buttstock is original. Just heavily altered. The safety being filled in, if engraved over, is factory. The gun was ordered without a safety. Common feature for a target gun.

The metal condition is great and it is a vent rib ejector gun. It is WELL worth the $3k even with the stock issues. Considering that is it did not have the issues, it would be a $7- 9k gun.

What is the delemma here?

Agree 100% on all points. The forend is 100% original. From what I can see in your photos, this is a nice gun except for the buttstock. I would break my hand going for my wallet for this gun at $3000.

A butt transplant by one of the better craftsmen here such as Brian would make this a superb Sporting Clays gun, along with a little choke work.
JR
Posted By: B. Dudley Re: Parker DHE Dilemma - 10/09/16 05:16 PM
Parker made a couple different styles of beavertail Forends and that is one of them. My personal least favorate syle, but it is completely legit. The checkering too.
Posted By: James M Re: Parker DHE Dilemma - 10/09/16 05:19 PM
I'll try to answer all questions here:
The frame size is probably as 2 as indicated. What looks like a 7 is probably a 2 with the bottom of the stamping missing.

Originality of the forend:
Here is a picture of a typical Parker beavertail forend: I have Not noticed any real variance in the shape in other examples I've look at.

Here is a side view of the one on this gun: Notice there is a distinct variance.

Notice the distinct difference in the shaping at the back and sides..

The upper tang is marked for a safety. However the slot for the safety has been closed with an unknown material. I have not disassembled the gun to determine if anything has been done internally regarding the safety.
If I were to buy it to keep I'd get a butt transplant and get the safety made operable again.
Please let me know if there are any other questions or need for additional pictures.
If anyone is interested in buying this gun for $3000 which is the owners asking price PM me and we'll go from there. I'll also pay Dave his due of course.
Jim
Posted By: Boats Re: Parker DHE Dilemma - 10/09/16 05:45 PM
Parker with that configuration is not in every gun shop. If it's what you want be prepared to pay. If a long tight choked gun is not suitable for your use, better not to buy it.

Friend of mine has 3 32 inch straight grip Parkers. DHE VHE and VH. He would by a 4th if he found one. He would be all over that gun. I had a 32 inch Parker than was probably a trap gun, traded it off. 30 inch guns suit me better.

Boats
Posted By: James M Re: Parker DHE Dilemma - 10/09/16 07:06 PM
The Parker deal is dead for now. I'll let everyone know if it resurfaces again.
Jim
Posted By: B. Dudley Re: Parker DHE Dilemma - 10/09/16 07:55 PM
Jim,
The Parker btfe that you pictured as an example is one of the other styles that Parker made. The one on the gun in question is another style. In fact, there are parker catalogs that picture the exact style of forend that is on the gun you were looking at.

You will also find, if you look at enough live bird guns, that the filled safety slot is very common on guns ordered without safeties. Not many built without safeties actually started life as not having the slot cut in them.

And, the extreme rarity of it having a vent rib alone makes it worth the price of admission.

Take some time and study up on Parkers if you are looking to learn on them and buy one. A copy of The Parker Story would be a great start, or even one of the earlier books written on Parkers.
Posted By: James M Re: Parker DHE Dilemma - 10/09/16 08:10 PM
Thanks B Dudly for the additional information. I looked at the pictures of many doubles without finding a forearm like that one. The Parker deal is dead for now. I'll let everyone know if it resurfaces again.
Jim
Posted By: old colonel Re: Parker DHE Dilemma - 10/09/16 08:28 PM
Ashame it is dead, if it were not, butt transplant and new forend wood and it would have made a very nice toy
Posted By: John Roberts Re: Parker DHE Dilemma - 10/10/16 12:32 AM
Here is an example of the same btfe I found easily:
http://www.stevebarnettfineguns.com/asp-bin/Detail.asp?ID=8535
JR
Posted By: DAM16SXS Re: Parker DHE Dilemma - 10/10/16 02:34 PM
My guess is that it is NOT a 7-frame size.

The frame size is stamped on the bottom of the locking lug.

From the pictures you show I would seriously doubt if it was larger than a 3-frame.
Posted By: Run With The Fox Re: Parker DHE Dilemma - 10/10/16 03:11 PM
I concur, Dean-O. A 7 script stamp would possibly seem, with wear, like a script stamp 2, with the base line of the 2 worn off. A size 7 frame- for an 8 gauge perhaps?
Posted By: James M Re: Parker DHE Dilemma - 10/10/16 04:29 PM
Hey guys:
I already corrected this way above and said I believe
it's a frame size 2 with the tail of the 2 worn off or never stamped originally. grin
Jim
Posted By: DAM16SXS Re: Parker DHE Dilemma - 10/10/16 05:11 PM
Sorry James, I didn't pick up on that correction.
Posted By: Run With The Fox Re: Parker DHE Dilemma - 10/10/16 07:30 PM
Me neither, my bad.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com