doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: bill schodlatz British Pound - 10/11/16 02:16 PM
I see that the British pound hit the lowest value it has had sense 1985.
Are some of those high priced guns becoming good buy's?

bill
Posted By: Bob Blair Re: British Pound - 10/11/16 02:59 PM
Don't know about the guns but I'm now considering a driven shoot. Going to Scotland in March for a spaniel training workshop but I think that might be too late for shooting. in any case, I hope those exchange rates hold out for my trip.
Posted By: TwiceBarrel Re: British Pound - 10/11/16 03:42 PM
Bob if you can convert your US Money to Pound Sterling now pay forward for accommodations and transportation and pay in cash for any incidentals during your stay.
Posted By: trw999 Re: British Pound - 10/11/16 04:09 PM
Shooting season finishes on 31 Jan/1 Feb; March will be too late for game I'm afraid.

Be patient, at this rate it'll fall even lower yet!

Tim
Posted By: Nick. C Re: British Pound - 10/11/16 04:51 PM
I've ordered some parts from the states recently, $130 cost £108. Still cheaper than brownells UK though.
Posted By: King Brown Re: British Pound - 10/11/16 05:43 PM
The pound, now behind Argentine peso and just ahead of Nigerian nairia, will fall 15 to 20 per cent within the next year, according to long-time traders.
Posted By: nca225 Re: British Pound - 10/11/16 05:56 PM
Yeah Brexit! So far, only good for us US gun owners!
Posted By: gunman Re: British Pound - 10/11/16 06:24 PM
And of course for the British people .Who at long last are throwing of a yoke of beuraucratic oppression snuck on us by traitorous politicians .As Americans you should be the first to appreciate this , you know what was it ? oh yes, no taxation without representation ,and the right to make your own laws . Well thats what we are going back to .
Posted By: lagopus Re: British Pound - 10/11/16 06:50 PM
Nice one Gunman. Financial Times Share Index going way up though. As soon as we actually do leave things will go up and down a bit as the 'Markets' hate uncertainty then it will stabilise and Britain will be on the up. Freed from the ball and chain of Europe and their daft laws.

Bob Blair, why not try to arrange a bit of wood pigeon shooting? Way better than grouse shooting any day. Lagopus.....
Posted By: damascus Re: British Pound - 10/11/16 07:28 PM
Yes it will be a good thing for you US gun owners in the SHORT TERM! But keep in mind all good things eventually come to an end!!
Posted By: lonesome roads Re: British Pound - 10/11/16 07:37 PM
"The Pound........long time traders."

USD/CAD 1.3255

Love those cheap donuts and coffee in Windsor. And I don't have to worry about getting jacked either!

Posted By: Toby Barclay Re: British Pound - 10/11/16 08:09 PM
If my visa comes through soon, I plan to make good use of the falling pound and travel out to NC to do an exhibition of current and new stock guns. Keep an eye on my web site for news of the venue and date.
Posted By: eightbore Re: British Pound - 10/11/16 08:50 PM
I can't continue to read this thread while my knees are in pain. Check me later. By the way, I bought a great Purdey last month.
Posted By: Owenjj3 Re: British Pound - 10/11/16 10:13 PM
I bought a nice gun from a dealer in England post-Brexit. In the past 2 months the dealer has sold 4 H&H (1 new pair, 2 singles) to Americans in addition to the one he sold me. He reports that inquiries have increased significantly.
Posted By: nca225 Re: British Pound - 10/11/16 11:08 PM
Originally Posted By: lagopus
Nice one Gunman. Financial Times Share Index going way up though. As soon as we actually do leave things will go up and down a bit as the 'Markets' hate uncertainty then it will stabilise and Britain will be on the up. Freed from the ball and chain of Europe and their daft laws.

I hope so.
Posted By: King Brown Re: British Pound - 10/12/16 02:02 AM
I don't want UK to be hammered, either. My London sources messaged today:

" . . . $1.05 U.S. for sterling in 12 months. We're at $1.2288 this morning, so that's another 15%."

A leaked cabinet paper to the Times on the hit to the economy from crashing out and going to WTO rules isn't hopeful reading.
Posted By: mc Re: British Pound - 10/12/16 02:02 AM
got to love nca225 only good for U.S. gun owner,, oh yea i forgot the people who voted out, and wanted self determination.
Posted By: craigd Re: British Pound - 10/12/16 02:20 AM
Originally Posted By: King Brown
....A leaked cabinet paper to the Times on the hit to the economy from crashing out and going to WTO rules isn't hopeful reading.

Do you know what the motivation for this message is? The folks commenting here have brought up regulations. What do you think would happen if England got out from under eu regs and can offer their products to the world on their terms. Maybe, the current valuation is something that they would rather work with.
Posted By: lonesome roads Re: British Pound - 10/12/16 03:06 AM
...here we go...

Another 15%, King? Might only have to sell a kidney and an eyeball to get that Boss. I hear they have Cinese buyers right there in the showroom.

Aw, who am I kidding? I'm a RBL man!

Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: British Pound - 10/12/16 04:06 AM
Originally Posted By: lonesome roads
...here we go...

Another 15%, King? Might only have to sell a kidney and an eyeball to get that Boss. I hear they have Cinese buyers right there in the showroom.

Aw, who am I kidding? I'm a RBL man!

https://youtu.be/ho_Od3o9OLg

Cool. Put up a picture of it. How is it choked, how long are the barrels, what options did you spring for? What do you hunt/shoot with it?

Or, not. Guess I won't hold my breath, anyway.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: lonesome roads Re: British Pound - 10/12/16 04:29 AM
Choke tubes, 28", 4x Claro (pretty sharp), assisted opener (eh), splinter, straight, double triggers, case colored. Maybe I'll email you some pics. Me and Spino mostly just blast squirrels out of trees with it. We ain't fancy like you.

Posted By: King Brown Re: British Pound - 10/12/16 01:15 PM
Time-wasting to speculate on motivation. They chose a tough woman to get the job done. Since you asked, a dissident cabinet member may have leaked the memo to push an agenda of forget the referendum, we gotta save ourselves, tear up what we did and start over again. Familiar? Consider what the paper said:

"The Treasury estimates UK GDP would be 5.4 per cent and 9.5 per cent of GDP lower after 15 years if we left EU with no successor arrangements, with a central estimate of 7.5 per cent. In headline terms, (a trade would be around a fifth lower than it otherwise would have been, (b foreign direct investment would also be a fifth lower . ."

It concluded "The net impact on public sector receipts . . .38 billion to 66 billion annually because of a smaller economy." Enough to give anyone the heebie-jeebies. I believe it's a sober estimate because Treasury wouldn't have made it without consulting Governor of the Bank of England Mark Carney, a Canadian previously Governor of Bank of Canada, first and only non-Brit to hold the job in 400 years.

(Canada survived The Great Recession in better shape than any of the G20 because of regulations.)
Posted By: canvasback Re: British Pound - 10/12/16 01:27 PM
Originally Posted By: gunman
And of course for the British people .Who at long last are throwing of a yoke of beuraucratic oppression snuck on us by traitorous politicians .As Americans you should be the first to appreciate this , you know what was it ? oh yes, no taxation without representation ,and the right to make your own laws . Well thats what we are going back to .

Here here!!
Posted By: King Brown Re: British Pound - 10/12/16 01:34 PM
Those four points would have disappeared like morning mists in the countryside if the electorate hadn't been lied to about promised benefits. They know now.
Posted By: canvasback Re: British Pound - 10/12/16 01:36 PM
Funny all the hand wringing from the Euro forces here about the fall of the pound. Yet the same mindset, here in Canada, engineers the fall of the Canadian dollar, whenever possible, to help "make our manufracturing more competitive on the world market"

In other words, place a currency tax on all citizens to help underwrite the inefficiency and lack of innovation (read support of unions and big business in bed with the government....can you say "Bombardier" and "Auto Sector")inherent in the Canadian manufacturing sector, all the while bemoaning that we sell our natural resources.

Once again the hypocrisy knows no bounds.
Posted By: canvasback Re: British Pound - 10/12/16 01:37 PM
Originally Posted By: lonesome roads

Ahhh, Roller Girl. Now there's a pleasant memory.
Posted By: canvasback Re: British Pound - 10/12/16 01:38 PM
Those four points would have disappeared like morning mists in the countryside if the electorate hadn't been lied to about promised benefits. They know now.

King, I only read two points in gunman's post.
Posted By: canvasback Re: British Pound - 10/12/16 01:44 PM

And number of points aside, if my aunt had balls, she's be my uncle!

It's moot. They were lied to. By the left, by the globalists, by the EC. Just as Canadians and American have been by their politicians. Brexit and Trump are just the beginning. The globalists hit the tipping point with opening the doors to unfettered cultural swamping by letting in the millions of economic muslim refugees.

We've had enough of the bullshit.

Have you noticed King how your girl refers to them as "sand niggers". Have you noticed how your American party, the Democrats, actively talks about keeping the electorate ignorant and apathetic?

And Trump's is the bad guy. Unfit to be president. What a crock!

Posted By: King Brown Re: British Pound - 10/12/16 01:48 PM
James, say you don't mean Here Here as same governance for Canada: failing the country by trying to fix squeaks in the party.
Posted By: canvasback Re: British Pound - 10/12/16 01:54 PM
James, say you don't mean Here Here as same governance for Canada: failing the country by trying to fix squeaks in the party.

King, had I been a Brit, I would have been agitating for the last decade to get the hell out of the EU. One more layer of costly, entitled bureaucratic bullshit, supported by hard working people through their taxes, with no concern or accountability for their actions.

We have a different problem here. Governance by selfie. All style, no substance. It will catch up.
Posted By: KY Jon Re: British Pound - 10/12/16 01:57 PM
It all comes down to do you want to live under one "World Order" or do you want to live in a country whose laws you might have some influence over, because if you live under WO they make the laws else where and you will have zero to say about them. Worse the myth they sell is that as a one WO everyone will be raised up but the truth is that you don't raise up both the mountaintops and valleys at the same time. It might be ok if you are a valley but they trim the tops back to raise the valleys. Sucks to be affluent if they trim your wealth to raise the floor for others. Kind of one of those greater good things that those who get for free like but those who are forced to give hate.

I'm not in the UK but I'd rather loose a little future value to have a government that I had some control over. And do those rose colored number ever come true?
Posted By: canvasback Re: British Pound - 10/12/16 01:58 PM

Now I get it. Needed to let the comment soak in. LOL
Posted By: King Brown Re: British Pound - 10/12/16 02:04 PM
The United States is my favourite country for reasons I've mentioned here many times. I have faith in its people to do the right thing over time. Under enormous pressures at home and overseas, strained by responsibilities of being world leader and unintended empire, the electorate will adjudicate who it believes is the better leader within a month's time. I have absolute faith in the outcome, which I ventured in an opinion six months ago. You're on record as preferring Trump.
Posted By: King Brown Re: British Pound - 10/12/16 02:11 PM
Right on, Jon. To what point do we believe we are running things? The current US turmoil is because the common people lost confidence in their governance.
Posted By: canvasback Re: British Pound - 10/12/16 02:17 PM
I'm on record of preferring just about anyone to the status quo of lying, self serving politicians who stand for nothing but their own accent to power and who find it impossible to speak the truth to the average human being.

Trump is simply the person currently who stands between one of those people and the White House. For that reason, I'll take Trump.

I would have much preferred that Trey Goudy run for the top job.
Posted By: King Brown Re: British Pound - 10/12/16 02:54 PM
Yes, you prefer Trump, apparently because he tells fewer and smaller lies.

It's interesting to me that when I posted earlier that members indicated the probable outcome there was no blowback during the most-fevered election ever.

Probably because they knew, as I did, that a person wanting to be president of a great country can't insult key demographics and not be punished.

It's significant credit to the board that it hasn't allowed itself to become unruly partisan around politics as it has in the past.
Posted By: canvasback Re: British Pound - 10/12/16 03:23 PM
Not quite King. I prefer Trump because so far he hasn't lied to the public about real problems that face America. Because he hasn't lied about felonious activities while Secretary of State. Because he didn't leave diplomats to die. Because he hasn't been a part of the race baiter Obama's administration.

I have no idea if he would be a good president or bad. These things are hard to know.

But I do know that Hillary lies about important things. She speaks one way in private and another to the public. I do know that people close to her that become a liability tend to commit suicide in suspicious circumstance.

That's what I know about Hillary and for those reasons I know she is unfit to be president.

That is different that what you said.
Posted By: 1cdog Re: British Pound - 10/12/16 03:33 PM

It's interesting to me that when I posted earlier that members indicated the probable outcome there was no blowback during the most-fevered election ever.

Probably because they knew, as I did, that a person wanting to be president of a great country can't insult key demographics and not be punished.

It's significant credit to the board that it hasn't allowed itself to become unruly partisan around politics as it has in the past.

Hmmmm......is that kinda like calling people "deplorable"........?
Posted By: Ken61 Re: British Pound - 10/12/16 03:48 PM

What you really mean, Comrade Sralin, is that nobody has contested your Statist, Religious Drivel for a while. Your slavish, anti intellectual prattling in favor of totalitarian statism is every bit as offensive now as ever before. Favoring sociopathic infliction by totalitarians upon free and equal people is your goal and hallmark, despite whatever smiley face you attempt to put upon it. The problems in America were caused by your sociopathic religious ideology, and now, true to form according to the ideological nincompoopery of your religion, you're advocating even more oppression. You know amazingly little about America.

I apologize for this rant and have studiously avoided posting such in the main forum, but if you allow Comrade Sralin to post his insipid, anti American vomit you should expect a response. I would much prefer to post this in misfires.

Regards
Ken
Posted By: craigd Re: British Pound - 10/12/16 04:18 PM
....It's interesting to me that when I posted earlier that members indicated the probable outcome there was no blowback during the most-fevered election ever.

Probably because they knew, as I did, that a person wanting to be president of a great country can't insult key demographics and not be punished....

As first gal, hill called young black males, super predators. This around the same time that her hubby was rewriting wh sop on sexual predation of subordinates. Well before that, practicing attorney hill is caught in a 'locker room conversation', joking and laughing about her faith in polygraphs. The brutal rapist of a twelve year old had just passed with flying colors.

Quick question, I know kids can't vote, are blacks and women key demographics? No, I'm not referring to the snowdenesque admission that she was aware of the, clinton epstein 26 flights. Good thing you ain't Catholic or an Evangelical Christian, eh?
Posted By: King Brown Re: British Pound - 10/12/16 09:02 PM
There's a bit of Catholic and evangelical in me in the sense of admiration of the Church's mission for the poor, and evangelical's stick-with-it enthusiasm and strong commitment to their faith. On your question, yes, of course, women, blacks, Latinos and others are key demographics. You know that, why ask?
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com