doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: doubletrouble USPS firearms shipping - 10/11/16 10:59 PM
My wife went to the PO this morning and was informed by the person behind the counter that the USPS will no longer ship firearms. Has anyone else heard this?
Tom
Posted By: old colonel Re: USPS firearms shipping - 10/11/16 11:13 PM
The USPS website still reflects long guns maybe mailed.
Posted By: Rockdoc Re: USPS firearms shipping - 10/11/16 11:25 PM
When I lived in Naperville IL the anal sphincter muscles at the Naperville PO wouldn't ship guns of any kind so I'd go to the adjoining town of Lisle IL and ship from there. BTW I did complain to the Postmaster General but never got a response. This was about 15-16 years ago.

Steve
Posted By: ithaca1 Re: USPS firearms shipping - 10/11/16 11:26 PM
I hope they will! I'm shipping one in the AM. If it has changed, it's just in the last week.
Posted By: James M Re: USPS firearms shipping - 10/11/16 11:31 PM
All it takes is an anti-gun flunkie behind the counter and even if you complain you will likely never receive a response. I NEVER tell the postal employees what I am shipping and I just answer the basic questions they ask everyone. I make sure to include whatever documentation inside the package and have never had a problem yet.
BTW: I used to live in Naperville. Happiness was the last time I saw Illinois in my rearview mirror. wink
Jim
Posted By: B. Dudley Re: USPS firearms shipping - 10/11/16 11:36 PM
Completely legal to ship long guns via the post office. According to both atf and post office regs.
One... dont tell anyone what you are shipping. And there is no reason they should even ask you.

I personally recommend just using their on-line click and ship option. You process the shipment and print the label. All you have to do is drop the package off or have the carrier pick it up.

They used to offer a discount for shipping this way, but they did away with it when the cost of stamps went down. All smoke and mirrors there.
Posted By: Tom C Re: USPS firearms shipping - 10/12/16 01:12 AM
Am I wrong to list my guns as "Sporting Goods" when shipping via USPS? I have never been questioned.
Posted By: bladeswitcher Re: USPS firearms shipping - 10/12/16 01:34 AM
Originally Posted By: Tom C
Am I wrong to list my guns as "Sporting Goods" when shipping via USPS? I have never been questioned.

I don't understand the question. I ship all manner of stuff through USPS, including firearms. I never have to "list" the contents on any of it.
Posted By: B. Dudley Re: USPS firearms shipping - 10/12/16 02:20 AM
Yeah, should be no reason to list or declare anything unless you are exporting or something. Other than the question about if you are shipping anything hazardous or liquid or such, no other questions should be asked.
Posted By: Bob Jurewicz Re: USPS firearms shipping - 10/12/16 12:11 PM
http://about.usps.com/postal-bulletin/2011/pb22321/html/updt_001.htm

Here are the rules.
Bob Jurewicz
Posted By: Ken Nelson Re: USPS firearms shipping - 10/12/16 12:54 PM
Originally Posted By: B. Dudley
Yeah, should be no reason to list or declare anything unless you are exporting or something. Other than the question about if you are shipping anything hazardous or liquid or such, no other questions should be asked.

I agree but there are so many uninformed postal workers it's always a crap shoot what you will be confronted with.
My local Post Mistress frequently ask me if I'm shipping a firearm and request a copy of the FFL. I always satisfy her request although I'm not required to. She's been very helpful and I don't want to ruin a good relationship.
Posted By: claycrusher1900 Re: USPS firearms shipping - 10/13/16 02:11 PM
I have shipped dozens of guns through the mail, about 2 weeks ago was the most recent. The local P.O. knows that I'm an FFL so asks for the form everytime, pistol of long gun. But there's no reason to say what it is when it's a long gun
Posted By: B. Dudley Re: USPS firearms shipping - 10/13/16 06:02 PM
And pistols are Not supposed to be shipped via usps.
Posted By: James M Re: USPS firearms shipping - 10/13/16 06:51 PM
Originally Posted By: B. Dudley
And pistols are Not supposed to be shipped via usps.

Exception: Between 01 FFL holders.
Or I believe that a firearm sent to a manufacturer for repair can be mailed directly back to the owner.
Jim
Posted By: cpa Re: USPS firearms shipping - 10/13/16 07:14 PM
The exception is correct, but handguns sent to mfg for repair and return can't be sent by usps.
Posted By: CallaoJoe Re: USPS firearms shipping - 10/13/16 07:50 PM
I sent a Sharps rifle through USPS several years ago. The people behind the counter were convinced I couldn't do that....

Luckily, I had printed off all the rules, and walked through them with them. They eventually agreed, and the rifle shipped successfully. I have run into same sort of nonsense over the phone with UPS, and FEDEX. Now, I just take my guns for shipping to my local gun shop, and he does a nice job of taking care of it all for me. And honestly, I swear it's cheaper than trying to do it myself. At least it's at a price I can live with. I got quotes over the phone that were twice what he charges me to handle it.

I also recently bought a T/C encore walnut stocked rifle and UPS literally broke the thing in half.... I was just happy it wasn't an old SxS, and was an easily replaceable T/C.
Posted By: John Roberts Re: USPS firearms shipping - 10/13/16 08:57 PM
One of my closest friends who shoots SC's with me year 'round just had his Zoli Z-Gun stolen in the USPS. He had a local shop pack it, label it, and ship it. Happened locally before it went too far. He's spoken with the local postmaster, the state postal inspector, and the BATF. Nothing has shown up and nobody knows anything.
JR
Posted By: GLS Re: USPS firearms shipping - 10/13/16 09:47 PM
This topic surfaces every six months or so. There are horror stories with all shippers. Before getting a firearms insurance policy through Eastern, I shipped via USPS, registered and insured. Everyone who touches the gun signs for it and it is locked up at each stage of shipment. Gil
Posted By: John Roberts Re: USPS firearms shipping - 10/14/16 12:20 AM
I trust FedEx employees over those at the USPS. I could be wrong.
JR
Posted By: Tim Carney Re: USPS firearms shipping - 10/14/16 04:15 PM
Shipped a double rifle by usps to the maker last month for some tweaks.

Sent it registered to be able to insure for full value of the rifle. (Nuisance shipping registered as you need to use the special paper/fiber tape to cover all edges/seams.) Postal employee asked what was in the package, probably astonished at how much insurance sought. I just replied "precision metal parts" as the regulations do not require listing contents, and, as I recall, suggest not to divulge firearms as the contents.

Regards, Tim
Posted By: Joe Wood Re: USPS firearms shipping - 10/14/16 05:32 PM
I have shipped guns for umpteen times over twenty years in a aluminum gun case without any attempt to disguise it. Pretty obvious it's a gun. So far never a hiccup in delivery. Maybe potential USPS sticky hands have avoided it thinking it may be a setup? Dunno. Hardly ever buy insurance, preferring to self insure. But I'm not shipping Purdeys, etc., either.
Posted By: John Roberts Re: USPS firearms shipping - 10/14/16 07:39 PM
I have always shipped my doubles in a plastic luggage case I bought from Thad Scott years ago, then boxed up really well. This only when it is coming back to me after repair etc. Ohterwise, I buy a cheap Doskocil case and modify it to work as necessary, but I NEVER ship in cardboard alone.

I use the PO approved gummed and reinforced tape that requires wetting as the final taping, but use the poly tape to assemble the box. It is a real p-i-a to use, but when it's finished, it is VERY secure. It may take a good hour to do if I have to make a box to fit the case. Cheap insurance.
JR
Posted By: Niemann Re: USPS firearms shipping - 10/18/16 09:23 PM
Originally Posted By: Bob Jurewicz

Nice call.

I printed these out and had them with me when I went to my P.O., just in case. I believe you can also mail overseas and domestically for service and the gun returned the same way. Am I wrong?
Posted By: tudurgs Re: USPS firearms shipping - 10/18/16 09:38 PM
Just paid USPS $125 to ship and insure a $2500 gun overnight priority
Posted By: B. Dudley Re: USPS firearms shipping - 10/18/16 10:12 PM
That would be overnight express.

Express used to be a good deal on high value items at one time.

They used to charge less for insurance on express mail than they did for insurance on priority mail. I guess they figured that the less handling means less chance of damage.
So, even though the shipping was more, the total price would usually be less to ship express insured vs priority insured on an item that was valued at say, $3,500 or more.

But, they did away with that a year ago or so and made all the insurance rates the same regardless of type of service.

Then they did the ultimate smoke and mirrors trick and while they were touting that they lowered the price of stamps, on the other side of the coin, they took away the discount for processing a shipment on-line. That was nice of them.
Posted By: James M Re: USPS firearms shipping - 10/19/16 04:49 AM
As I see it; The post office is trying to survive in a world that increasingly has found better and more cost efficient ways(Internet of course) to stay in contact with each other and pay bills. Their mainstay for decades 1st class mail is going the way of the Dodo. Their one remaining core service is to ship goods from the current owner or manufacturer to the user. They finally started providing fairly decent tracking service on all packages in the last few years.
Unless someone comes up with a better way of providing this service they should survive into the foreseeable future. Their two main competitors UPS and FedEx have a niche part of this business but the barriers to entry(initial start up expense) essentially precludes another start up player.
Jim
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com