doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: tut balistol for leather? - 10/12/16 10:00 AM
I've used Balistol for years on my guns from tooth to tail as they say. I was wiping down a gun the other day and it says it also protects leather as well. Was wondering if anyone ever uses it on mutton cases as well. Would seem to simplify things a bit. Thanks
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: balistol for leather? - 10/12/16 11:46 AM
I imagine it would darken leather.
Posted By: Jagermeister Re: balistol for leather? - 10/12/16 01:43 PM
I would take Balistol over Clenzoil because it is biodegradable and doesn't stink like plastic model glue. I don't use Balistol on guns, but admit it's good overnight soak for rusty screws and to keep snow from sticking to shovel. I use Jojoba on my skin and my guns.
Posted By: Maxm Re: balistol for leather? - 10/12/16 06:18 PM
Some years ago I applied generously Ballistol on a few leather pieces and checked periodically their condition. After a full year, no damage, except some darkening. Anyway, I prefer to use Pecard Antique Leather dressing, but only when darkening is acceptable.
Posted By: Jagermeister Re: balistol for leather? - 10/13/16 01:03 AM
Originally Posted By: Maxm
Some years ago I applied generously Ballistol on a few leather pieces and checked periodically their condition. After a full year, no damage, except some darkening. Anyway, I prefer to use Pecard Antique Leather dressing, but only when darkening is acceptable.

Does Gucci offer leather cream like John Lobb? I know they make very fine leather goods, therefore, I would think leather care products would be part of their lineup.
Posted By: Karl Graebner Re: balistol for leather? - 10/13/16 02:21 AM
I've used my wife's (don't tell her) leather dressing from Coach that she uses on her (many) purses with good results on my leather gun cases.
Karl
Posted By: ellenbr Re: balistol for leather? - 10/13/16 02:28 AM
Not sure 'bout Brother John Lobb, but I'd side w/ either Filson or Col Littleton leather conditioner.

Cheers,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: Kutter Re: balistol for leather? - 10/13/16 03:04 AM
Ballistol is primarily Mineral Oil,,so it can't hurt much of anything.
I don't know how much good it really does.
Posted By: LLOYDB21 Re: balistol for leather? - 10/13/16 03:41 AM
I have used Bick 4 for years
Posted By: ClapperZapper Re: balistol for leather? - 10/13/16 10:32 AM
I have carried the same Coach Messenger bag for 34 years. It gets a rub down once a year with Coach Leather Lotion.

Do not use Neatsfoot oil. It turns moldy.
Posted By: canvasback Re: balistol for leather? - 10/13/16 12:41 PM
I've used Pecard Antique Leather Dressing with good results on some old cases. (as well as my newer ones.)
Posted By: Der Ami Re: balistol for leather? - 10/13/16 02:05 PM
Ballistol is a hundred year old product, it must have some value. One of my first experiences with Ballistol was with it's use as a first aid/medical product. In early 1981, I was watching Walter Grass( my German gunsmith friend) try out a lathe he had just bought. He was turning a barrel and a "chip" was coming off in a long ribbon, and he was breaking it with a bent rod. A ribbon flipped back and cut his finger "to the bone"; I could clearly see white bone, before the blood started flowing. I insisted he let me take him to the "krankenhaus"( hospital) for stiches. A similar wound in my youth required 4 stitches to close. In refusing, he took a dirty roll of gauze from under his work bench, and unrolled it enough to get to almost "white" gauze, from which he made a little pad and wet it with Ballistol. He then wrapped it with more gauze, put on a glove and went back to the lathe to finish. Since the wound was in an area that needed to "flex" in use, I had every idea he would have it "stitched", later. When I went back the next week, I asked to see the finger. He unwrapped it, and it was almost healed( still w/o stitches). It was obvious, from the smell of Ballistol, that that was all he used on the wound. That incident gave me an awful lot of confidence in it, and this was well before Americans knew about it.
Mike
Posted By: Eric 375 Re: balistol for leather? - 10/13/16 04:23 PM
Do NOT use Ballistol for leather! If exposed to sunlight for any length of time it becomes very hard and ruins the leather fiber. Friend used it on one of the holsters I made for him and it is a total loss. No flexability and caused shrinkage. Always use a proper leather conditioner to clean and treat you fine leather products.
Posted By: tut Re: balistol for leather? - 10/13/16 06:09 PM
Good to know. A fellow who repairs saddles told me he uses beeswax on the saddles and leather straps.
Posted By: Condor Re: balistol for leather? - 10/13/16 06:36 PM
Originally Posted By: tut
Good to know. A fellow who repairs saddles told me he uses beeswax on the saddles and leather straps.

I was expecting to hear this in this thread. I use bees wax as well on my gun cases and other gun leathers. Plain old fashioned bees wax .
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com