doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: ChessieDog Info on Italian ou - 11/08/16 01:03 PM
Trolling the local classified ads and stumbled onto this. Anyone ever seen one? Thoughts on it? (other than the obvious who the hell would put a "composite" stock on a double)
italian sxs?
Posted By: Ken61 Re: Info on Italian ou - 11/08/16 01:59 PM
Looks kind'a like an Angelo Zoli I once had. Except the stock. No markings on the gun for ID?
Posted By: L. Brown Re: Info on Italian ou - 11/08/16 02:06 PM
The Winter 2009 issue of Double Gun Journal has an article called "The Italian 'Guild' Action Over and Under". The author points out that there have been a lot of inexpensive Italian OU's built on essentially the same action. Guns imported by Kassnar are a good example. But somewhere on that gun there should be a name, perhaps only of the importer. And if there's no maker's name, there may be a maker's trademark hidden among the proofmarks.
Posted By: Franc Otte Re: Info on Italian ou - 11/08/16 07:13 PM
For 400 I'd say it could be a great wet weather beater....a kinda nice one too, if tight n in good order.
You could get Mark Larson, (think that's his last name) the stock grain artist to give it some nice wood too?
Thats nearly in Wall Hanger price range
Cheers
Franc
Posted By: LeeS Re: Info on Italian ou - 11/09/16 05:09 PM
The butt-plate is stamped P.Beretta Breschia in roundel. The center of which appears to be stamped Franchi. It is probably lightweight weatherproof-ish gun with alloy receiver.

too much lighting glare and reflections make it difficult to see clearly.

At that price you can't go wrong.

Posted By: LeeS Re: Info on Italian ou - 11/09/16 05:28 PM
BTW: I just read the description and it says that a previous owner has put some sort of coating on the stock. Very likely wood underneath.

He says it has full choke(s). I can't tell from the picture (below) if they are fixed or mobil.

It has double triggers and he is throwing in the box of Active & Winchester shells in the picture, I think that the Active shells as well as when Franchi was bought out by Beretta would likely be clues to it's age.

He has also lowered the price to $350.

Gopher it!
Posted By: gunsaholic Re: Info on Italian ou - 11/09/16 05:37 PM
Not to much of a gamble at $350.00
I just sold an Italian made over/under made for Century Arms. It was a 20 gauge from the 80's. Quite nice. I got $325.00.
Posted By: Ken61 Re: Info on Italian ou - 11/09/16 06:15 PM
If you want to strip the stock, perhaps one of the strippers strong enough to remove polyurethane would work. The "tactical" look just doesn't work for an O/U...I'd remove the buttplate first to make sure it's wood.

It's priced about the same as a Lanber model 85 (fixed chokes, with ejectors) that I got from CDNN around 20 years ago..I bought the Zoli for around $400 several years ago, but traded it for an LC.

I shot plenty of slugs through that gun, (Lanber) it was pretty versatile. I wouldn't do that with a Spanish SxS, but I'd have no qualms putting slugs through an Italian O/U..
Posted By: ChessieDog Re: Info on Italian ou - 11/10/16 05:31 AM
Thanks LeeS and everyone else for the info and opinions. Will try to check it out in person.

Lance
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com