doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: gold40 Illinois State Park Pheasants - 11/08/16 04:05 PM
From early November to mid-January, the Illinois Dept. of Conservation offers public pheasant hunting in about a dozen state parks. Cost is $35 to shoot two birds of either sex. There is an on-line reservation system, but usually one can just show up by 8 a.m. (except for holidays). They put out 50 to 200 adult good-sized birds every day, except Monday and Tuesday (closed those days). Non-toxic shot is required, maximum size #3. A dog is most helpful.

It is a good program, and surprising for what some consider to be an ant-gun state.

I hunt the Carlyle Lake locale, since it is near St. Louis. Typically hunt at least a dozen days. Gives my dog a lot of extra field time.

gold40
Posted By: Goillini Re: Illinois State Park Pheasants - 11/08/16 07:41 PM
I do that several days a year also. Usually at Jim Edgar Panther Creek, in the Virginia, IL area. I've never made a reservation. Always just show up and draw and have never had a problem.
Posted By: PeteM Re: Illinois State Park Pheasants - 11/08/16 08:26 PM
Originally Posted By: gold40

It is a good program, and surprising for what some consider to be an ant-gun state.

I hunt the Carlyle Lake locale, since it is near St. Louis. Typically hunt at least a dozen days. Gives my dog a lot of extra field time.

gold40

Good for you. It is designed to allow anyone in Illinois at least some time in the field with a reasonable chance of success. It is a way for the guy with a young family on a small budget to have some fun.

Pete
Posted By: Rockdoc Re: Illinois State Park Pheasants - 11/09/16 12:02 AM
When I moved to Texas in 2007 I really missed the Illinois state run pheasant hunting program. Back then I believe it was $18 for three birds, but $35 for two birds is still an incredible deal compared to what it cost to hunt pheasants in Texas game preserves. I’ve spent the last few weeks visiting friends in Illinois and I also purchased a new hunting dog three weeks ago. I’ve been having a fun time hunting him at the nearby Illinois State pheasant hunting facility.

Meet Kelakye's Cowboy Back n Town aka Trace my new furry hunting partner.

Here Trace is again with his very first pheasant. He found it hiding 15’ up in a pine tree. Good dog!

Steve
Posted By: Last Dollar Re: Illinois State Park Pheasants - 11/09/16 12:39 AM

You look warmer than you did at my place...Chuckh on the left
Posted By: gold40 Re: Illinois State Park Pheasants - 11/09/16 08:46 PM

We hunted pheasants this morning at the local Illinois State Park. It was the "first day" of the 2016 season. Only a dozen or so hunters; mostly retired FOWG's like me (Fat Old White Guys). I think they put out about 60 birds.

A bright sunny day, with temperature in the 50's. About ideal. Our three pointing dogs worked well, including the 10 month old pup. My hunting partner and I each limited with two roosters in less than hour. Then off to lunch at Mickey D's.

Some days it is much more difficult...

gold40
Posted By: Tom Bryant Re: Illinois State Park Pheasants - 11/09/16 08:55 PM
Sadly, I remember when it scarcely took longer than that to bag a limit of wild bobwhiites in St. Francois county. We'll not see those days again. Enjoy, Jerry.
Posted By: James M Re: Illinois State Park Pheasants - 11/09/16 08:57 PM
As much as I disliked Illinois for political reasons I could never fault the hunting. I got a nice buck every year hunting down along the Illinois River. I lived in a town called Elburn and I shot my limit in Pheasants(2 per day) in my back yard opening day one year.
Jim
Posted By: Rockdoc Re: Illinois State Park Pheasants - 11/09/16 09:43 PM
I just returned from hunting at Silver Springs Fish and Wildlife Area with my friend Charlie. It was nice having Charlie along for two reasons. He’s my good friend and unlike me Charlie seldom ever misses, if it fly’s it dies! My novice flushing dog Trace put up 5 birds. Charlie got 2 (good Charlie!), I shot at and missed one (bad Steve!), and 2 were flushed way out of range (bad dog!). All in all it was a nice day hunting at Silver Springs. Other than my friends here, hunting Illinois pheasants is something I’ll miss when I return to Arizona.

Steve
Posted By: Run With The Fox Re: Illinois State Park Pheasants - 11/09/16 11:06 PM
"If it flies, it dies" Flys are for whacking on the kitchen countertop with a swatter from Ace Hardware.
Posted By: SMP16Ga. Re: Illinois State Park Pheasants - 11/28/16 05:25 PM
I am going to be visiting family in northern Illinois in the middle of December. I have talked a couple of my brother's-in-law into trying this with me. None of us has any pheasant hunting experience. We also don't have a dog.
Are there any suggestions on ways we can make the hunt successful with these handicaps?
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: Illinois State Park Pheasants - 11/29/16 03:15 AM
Stephen,
Hope for fresh snow and look for tracks. Become your own dog so to speak.

For sure, when you knock one down, EVERYONE needs to fix on where it fell and walk a STRAIGHT line to the spot. With luck you will find it dead. If it is a runner, you really don't have much of a chance, but triangulate on every bird that falls, take close shots and you will do as best as you can.
Posted By: SMP16Ga. Re: Illinois State Park Pheasants - 12/01/16 02:45 AM
BrentD,
Thanks for the advice. We will see how it goes.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com