doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: StormsGSP OT- Stalking Rifles - 05/10/07 06:29 PM
Some of the pictures on this forum have me interested in Stalking Rifles. So if you have one and want to post some pictures of it, as well as any info on it you want to, I would enjoy reading and seeing whatever you have.

Alex
Posted By: Lowell Glenthorne Re: OT- Stalking Rifles - 05/10/07 10:03 PM

Altho' this Fraser Rook 'n Rabbit rifle might not be a dye-in-the-wool stalker, it's 25-20 would be nice for the smallish woodland Roebuck.
Posted By: Jerry V Lape Re: OT- Stalking Rifles - 05/11/07 12:41 AM
Not familiar with woodland Roebuck, but the .25-20 is barely adequate for woodchuck so that must be a mighty small deer!
Posted By: SKB Re: OT- Stalking Rifles - 05/11/07 01:07 AM
http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=72508&an=0&page=0#Post72508

I dont think dave would mind a link to another sight. Heres one of mine. I'm just a little addicted. I had no idea a few years ago that I could be so head over heels for a single shot rifle.....man, someone help me before I mortage the farm.
Steve
Posted By: cloffe Re: OT- Stalking Rifles - 05/11/07 10:52 AM
I wanted a good classic rifle but as a collage student my gun budget is very limited. But after a couple of months of looking, I found this Mannlicher-Schoenauer model 1905 in 9x56 MS in acceptable condition. I got it for $600. It's hard but not impossible to get ammo for it, but since I reload, I will make the ammo myself (250 grains .358 Norma Oryx or Hornady Round Nose bullets and reformed 9,3x57 Norma brass). I will shoot Swedish moose and wild boar with it.

I really love this rifle, it's 100 years old, weighs just over 6 lbs and has got the balance of a good shot gun. For a factory made rifle, the level of craftmanship is outstanding.
Posted By: Lowell Glenthorne Re: OT- Stalking Rifles - 05/11/07 11:05 AM
Perhaps Jerry, if your a Weatherby man you'd think that!
...and maybe the man who shot deer with the owd Fraser just didn't know any better.
The idea is to stalk...and not snipe away.
Who'd want to shoot a woodchuck - not much there for the stew-pot.
Posted By: SKB Re: OT- Stalking Rifles - 05/11/07 11:17 AM
I rember reading an article when I was kid about a monster whitetail buck taken back in the 30's with a .25-20. I think the old chap was pretty close and had to put several in the buck. It wouldn't be my first choice for deer, but if you get close enough.....
Steve
Posted By: Marc Stokeld Re: OT- Stalking Rifles - 05/11/07 12:31 PM
Could you give us your definition for "stalking rifle?" I have a lot fo pics (many not mine) and was wondering what exactly you were looking for-smaller caliber single shot, small caliber double, magazine rifle, or...?
Posted By: SKB Re: OT- Stalking Rifles - 05/11/07 01:16 PM
this one is OK, except for all tghe scratches.

Posted By: SKB Re: OT- Stalking Rifles - 05/11/07 01:17 PM
Posted By: popplecop Re: OT- Stalking Rifles - 05/11/07 02:13 PM
Sorry no pictures at present time, got to get my son to help old dad to post them. I use single shots and use the following: Ruger No. 45-70, TC Aristocrat 30-06 and extra 22-250 set up, Savage 219 in 30-30, H&R in 30-30, and a Savage 219 in 22K Hornet. Like them all, looking for for more Savage 219s. I like the fact that in the 30-30 I can load any style of bullet, and the Savage has a 26" barrel, have killed a number of deer with this rifle using 130 gr. Hornadys.
Posted By: StormsGSP Re: OT- Stalking Rifles - 05/11/07 09:21 PM
Hell post anything, any gun is a good gun.
Posted By: Recoil Rob Re: OT- Stalking Rifles - 05/12/07 01:37 AM
I've alway's thought a "stalking rifle" was a break open single shot, am I wrong?
Posted By: Hrenegade Re: OT- Stalking Rifles - 05/12/07 03:50 AM
Rob that is standard but they also call certain bolt rifles & double rifles, Stalking rifles.
I am like you, to me a stalking rifle is a single shot rifle & most likely a Break open action.
Posted By: Jerry V Lape Re: OT- Stalking Rifles - 05/12/07 05:24 AM
No Lowell, I am not a Weatherby man. Do most all my mammal hunting with flintlocks now so I understand the stalk thing pretty well. I've been evolving backwards in time with regard to firearm types. I just don't think the .25-20 is humane on anything larger than about a 10 lb woodchuck - which I used a .25-20 to shoot regularly about 45 years ago. It is a fun little cartridge but definely inferior to a .22 Hornet and maybe the modern .22 rimfire magnum.
Posted By: Jagermeister Re: OT- Stalking Rifles - 05/12/07 12:02 PM
Light rifle used for stalking antlered game in "North of England". No. 25xxx in caliber 7x57 that left South Audley Street in late 50s is a perfect example.
Posted By: Lowell Glenthorne Re: OT- Stalking Rifles - 05/12/07 12:18 PM
Killing power fogs the brain Jerry - so I'm not going there.
Missouri Conservation Dept's magazine(MM wrote for) had an issue about the state's first regulated deer season.
You would have been horrified with the cartridges used to kill these mammals.
Posted By: Jerry V Lape Re: OT- Stalking Rifles - 05/12/07 05:56 PM
Lowell, you don't need to go back to Missouri's old regs to see poor judgement in prescribing adequate calibers for game. Arizona for example has no requirement on elk cartridges other than center fire rifle,centerfire pistol, muzzleloading rifle or shotgun firing slugs (no minimum caliber for any of these). I expect to find some fool hunting bull elk with .22 Hornet. I have seen several trying it with .223 Rem and the 7.62x39 and sadly reporting multiple attempts with no elk recovered. Of course they killed the animal, just not within their tracking ability. A lot of that sort of poor regulation is economics in the game department's interest. They need license fees to meet the payroll so anything they perceive might reduce the number of applicants putting down license and tag fees is hard to get in the regulations.
Posted By: Lowell Glenthorne Re: OT- Stalking Rifles - 05/12/07 06:55 PM
No poor judgement back in those days Jerry, the lads just shot what they had.
...but it does sound as tho' your home state might be a little backwards these days.
Besides mate, we're talking stalking rifles, and what could be better than a Daniel Fraser make from Edinburgh.
When rook shooting fell out of favor, what could be better than upping the power from 250rook and using the grand ol' rifle for roedeer.
Jerry, the rifle is the thing, not more than a handful worldwide.
Posted By: Jagermeister Re: OT- Stalking Rifles - 05/12/07 08:53 PM
Yes, you're wrong. Numero 25xxx is a turnbolt built on "commercial" Oberndorf action.
Posted By: Jagermeister Re: OT- Stalking Rifles - 05/12/07 09:18 PM
When are you going to get rid of that useless crow gun? You know, the good folks at South Audley Street will build you something useful for 22000Anglos (engraving included). Sir Nigel said .375Ruger chambering would be ok with the firm.
You will need 11000 down to get that 12-14 month project started.
Posted By: Marc Stokeld Re: OT- Stalking Rifles - 05/12/07 10:19 PM
Here are three different flavors of .303. Uunfortunately,none of them are mine.

[img]http://www.pbase.com/image/78650205[/img]
Posted By: Marc Stokeld Re: OT- Stalking Rifles - 05/12/07 10:20 PM
try again!
Posted By: Lowell Glenthorne Re: OT- Stalking Rifles - 05/12/07 11:51 PM
PaulJag, couldn't be less interested in a big game rifle, deer season is short, and I hate to travel.
Even in the friendly confines of Glenthorne Woods, a poacher does sneak, with buck fever and a taste for blood.
Posted By: Recoil Rob Re: OT- Stalking Rifles - 05/13/07 01:35 AM
Originally Posted By: Jagermeister
Yes, you're wrong. Numero 25xxx is a turnbolt built on "commercial" Oberndorf action.

What rifle are you speaking of here?

I just Googled "definition stalking rifle" and came up with one viable hit. It's from the Vintagers page of defintions for the concours competition.

A stalking rifle is a one with less than 5000 ft.lbs of muzzle energy as opposed to a stopping rifle which has 5000 ft.lbs of muzzle energy or greater. No mention of actions types.
Posted By: Jagermeister Re: OT- Stalking Rifles - 05/13/07 02:46 AM
J. Purdey stalking rifles are true gems, a real must have IFFFFF you can find one.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com