doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: RARiddell Safe hearing aids - 12/25/16 03:33 PM
So as a young man I ruptured my ear drum and luckily enough I never had any serious issues with it, but as I'm getting older I am starting to notice a little pain everytime the gun goes "BOOM". My question is do they make a plug that allows you to hear but cancels out certian decibels? I've tried the striaght plugs but I cant hear sh*t, makes me feel very unsafe around others shooting with me. Any suggestions would be great, as I dont want to be that old geezer with the horn hanging out of my ear! Merry Christmas!
Posted By: justin Re: Safe hearing aids - 12/25/16 04:39 PM
E.A.R. Google 'em up
Posted By: ClapperZapper Re: Safe hearing aids - 12/25/16 05:00 PM
I wear Pro-Ears muffs.
They have saved my hearing.
Posted By: Wonko the Sane Re: Safe hearing aids - 12/25/16 05:01 PM
My wife used the E.A.R (I think) molded plugs with the electronic on/off for the pigeon ring and they worked great. E.A.R. does not google so I'm not sure they are still in biz. I use Howard Leight muffs with the auto on/off and a volume control for uncancelled sound. I am very happy with them. Got then off Amazon and they were way reasonable price. TTTT I prefer the molded plugs but the muffs work so well ..............

have another day
Dr.WtS
Posted By: skeettx Re: Safe hearing aids - 12/25/16 05:30 PM
3M owns EAR

http://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-us/all-3m-products/~/All-3M-Products/Safety/Worker-Health-Safety/Personal-Protective-Equipment/Hearing-Protection/?N=5002385+8709322+8711017+8711405+8720539+8720546+3294857497&rt=r3

http://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-us/all-3m-products/~/3M-PELTOR-TEP-100-Tactical-Earplugs-Kit-1-Kit-EA-Case?N=5002385+3292682142&rt=rud
Posted By: Replacement Re: Safe hearing aids - 12/25/16 06:00 PM
I ruptured an ear drum when I was 18 and it has been a problem since then. I use Starkey Magnum Ear electronic plugs that I got thru the NRA member program. Mine are maybe ten years old, and they have improved them considerably since I got my last set. I won't use anything else.
Posted By: Cameron Re: Safe hearing aids - 12/25/16 07:03 PM
No real suggestions from me, since I very seldom wear ear protection, but should wear something due to being 62 and with noticeable slippage in my hearing. When I do wear plugs, I wear the foam ones that roll up and are slipped into the ear. They block a fair amount of noise, but one can't hear much at all and like you RARiddell, I don't feel safe while hunting around others.

I've given some of the foam ones to a friend for his dad, who likes them. I've questioned my friend on why his dad wears them at all, since he can't hear anything, anyway! Many a rooster has gotten up to his side that he doesn't hear the flush and can't hear me or my friend shouting to him "rooster"!
Posted By: ChessieDog Re: Safe hearing aids - 12/25/16 10:08 PM
I started wearing Peletor Tactical shooting ear muffs. They have microphones which allow you to hear normal conversation (and ducks quacking) but they cut out noises above a certain decibel range. They are low profile and generally don't interfere with gun mount.
Posted By: bill schodlatz Re: Safe hearing aids - 12/26/16 01:12 AM
Years ago this site had a discussion on this subject. A DR said "EAR does a better job improperly installed than most others properly installed." Most plugs have an noise reduction rating on the package. 33 is very good

bill
Posted By: Recoil Rob Re: Safe hearing aids - 12/27/16 04:12 AM
I've been using 3M/Peltors TEP 100 Tactical earplugs for 2 seasons now and am very pleased. There are 2 settings, normal and amplified sounds (great when deer hunting) that both shut out gunshots before they reach your ear. They charge in the convenient carrying case.

Best price I found was here, make an offer for $200 and they come back with a better price than listed.

https://www.botach.com/3m-peltor-tep-100-tactical-digital-earplugs/
Posted By: RARiddell Re: Safe hearing aids - 12/28/16 01:19 AM
Hey thanks guys! I'm going to check out surefire sonic protectors, they got some pretty good reviews so we'll see if thats the ticket!
Posted By: Replacement Re: Safe hearing aids - 12/28/16 03:34 AM
Quote:
Hey thanks guys! I'm going to check out surefire sonic protectors, they got some pretty good reviews so we'll see if thats the ticket!

Most of you guys need to either consult a qualified audiologist or develop a better understanding of the human ear, or both. Those Surefires are better than nothing, better than compressible foam plugs, but not nearly adequate for serious protection for anyone who shoots more than occasionally. Traumatic hearing loss is cumulative and the damage will catch up with you. Research bone conduction and cilia damage. And take a look at age related hearing loss. Once you lose it, it's gone forever.
Posted By: jlb Re: Safe hearing aids - 12/30/16 03:34 PM
I have a pair of very cheep muffs that cut off all sound above a certain DB level. While they are effective they produce “dead air” for a period after the firing of a gun, even on an adjacent trap field. I would like to have muffs that reduce the high DB sound of a shot while not diminishing my ability to hear the scorer. Guidance please.

Thanks

jlb
Posted By: Virginian Re: Safe hearing aids - 12/30/16 05:44 PM
I am totally deaf in one ear (ruptured membrane in the cochlea) and wear a hearing aid all the time in the other ear. When hunting I use Walker's Game Ear or a 3M Peltor. Both work fine. Amplify until they need to suppress.
Posted By: mike cross Re: Safe hearing aids - 12/30/16 08:51 PM
I use Electronic Shooters Protection (ESP). They are in Brighton Colorado, ESP@USA.NET.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com