doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: steve voss Sad News - 12/28/16 12:50 AM
Our good friend Rick Rhodes; also know as Ole Southern Lawyer, Atticus Finch and Joe Cool on the various gun boards; has passed this afternoon of cancer.

I am saddened.
Posted By: Tom Bryant Re: Sad News - 12/28/16 01:13 AM
Oh no. Rick was such a great guy. So sorry to hear.
Posted By: dogon Re: Sad News - 12/28/16 03:48 AM
Sorry to hear this.

I really enjoyed his postings over the years.
Posted By: Rocketman Re: Sad News - 12/28/16 03:50 AM
Tough to loose guys like him. Hope his family is OK.

Reminds us that our finite.

DDA
Posted By: pooch Re: Sad News - 12/28/16 06:11 AM
That is sad news. I had no idea.
Posted By: L. Brown Re: Sad News - 12/28/16 12:14 PM
Very sad news indeed.
Posted By: gold40 Re: Sad News - 12/29/16 01:15 AM

Rick was a fun guy at the FLATWATER shoot. Its sad that he's gone.

JERRY
Posted By: wingshooter16 Re: Sad News - 12/29/16 02:17 AM
His wife is doing remarkably well, and in one message that Steve passed on to me he was "still giving orders" to the hospice folks a while ago. Usually remembered my birthday with some fresh insult, and you could stay up late into the night listening to his stories. IIRC, he is the only one of Brotherman's guests that shot a banded chicken. A gifted man taken all too soon.
Posted By: postoak Re: Sad News - 12/29/16 02:40 AM
A link to his obituary and funeral arraignments, Rick was a friend and a brought joy with him always.
Posted By: steve voss Re: Sad News - 12/29/16 03:18 AM
http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/jdnews/obituary.aspx?n=rick-rhodes&pid=183237395
Posted By: steve voss Re: Sad News - 12/29/16 04:34 PM
Originally Posted By: wingshooter16
His wife is doing remarkably well, and in one message that Steve passed on to me he was "still giving orders" to the hospice folks a while ago. Usually remembered my birthday with some fresh insult, and you could stay up late into the night listening to his stories. IIRC, he is the only one of Brotherman's guests that shot a banded chicken. A gifted man taken all too soon.

I can't lay my hands on the pic of him giving that banded chicken the 'lawyer grip' right now, but here's one his wife sent me a few years ago. He was full of life.

Posted By: steve voss Re: Sad News - 12/29/16 04:35 PM
Wait...I just remembered where it was.

Posted By: Tom Bryant Re: Sad News - 12/29/16 08:33 PM
Don't ever remember seeing him without a smile - except when telling a story that would be followed by a smile on his face - and everyone else's.
Posted By: postoak Re: Sad News - 12/30/16 03:30 AM
Voss man thanks for the photos and for adding the link I bungled.
Posted By: David Re: Sad News - 12/31/16 04:20 AM
I remember one year at Flatwater when Rick and I were the last to leave the clubhouse on Saturday evening. I will miss Rick.
Posted By: kgb Re: Sad News - 12/31/16 05:03 PM
I watched his smile drop once. One Saturday morning I told him I'd been pulled over the previous night on my drive home. He flashed conspiratorial, asking if I'd been nailed for a DUI. Wasn't licensed in Nebraska, afaik, but I'm sure he'd have helped me find a good piranha of the proper kind had one been needed. He gave us a term for the longest lead likely ever to be needed for a Sporting Clays target in the LDL, and was properly sheepish/dismissive when Steve bitched us out for socializing when we should have been hunting and wild-flushed chickens that hadn't read the rules about residing at the "military crest".

He was certainly one of the better ones.
Posted By: Perry M. Kissam Re: Sad News - 12/31/16 06:04 PM
Although I corresponded with him a couple of times as a fellow North Carolinian I never actually met him. I am also a little rusty on names. Didn't he go by several others than the ones you mention here Steve? Certainly sad to hear of his passing, especially at the stated age of 62(?)!!
Posted By: steve voss Re: Sad News - 12/31/16 06:20 PM
Perry, I listed all his aliases that I know of. There may have been more.
Posted By: Perry M. Kissam Re: Sad News - 01/01/17 02:04 PM
Actually, I believe I was thinking of Coggie.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com