doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Fourteener54 Choke Change - Impact on value? - 01/20/17 06:39 PM
Gents:
This is probably a rhetorical question, but doesn't hurt to ask.
I have an early original Parker DHE 20 Full/Full. I want to open chokes to IMP Cly./ Mod. for quail.

Please weigh in on opinions as to potential negative impact to value of gun. Thank you
Posted By: King Brown Re: Choke Change - Impact on value? - 01/20/17 07:41 PM
I'd try handloading and spreader loads before I did anything.
Posted By: KY Jon Re: Choke Change - Impact on value? - 01/20/17 07:50 PM
Finding a 20 F and F would be much rarer than finding one IC and M. A lot of guns have had chokes opened or worse barrels cut. If it were mine I'd use spreaders like Polywad for 15/box or reload spreaders with polywad inserts. A few boxes a year would not be that hard to do. Or see if you can come across a second set of barrels to have fit to the gun. Those you could alter anyway you want and not hurt the guns value.

As to the dollar price effect it's hard to know 10-20% maybe more but you might loose a lot of potential buyers. Collectors and even some shooters put such a premium on original condition and original configuration.
Posted By: kirkp Re: Choke Change - Impact on value? - 01/20/17 08:15 PM
A lot probably has a lot to do with its current condition. My guess is that it's in respectable condition. Might want to look for opinions on the Parker forum. Be warned that they'll want lots of pictures.
Kirk
Posted By: skeettx Re: Choke Change - Impact on value? - 01/20/17 09:33 PM
Question: might a separate set of barrel be a proper solution?
Posted By: Fourteener54 Re: Choke Change - Impact on value? - 01/20/17 10:07 PM
Originally Posted By: skeettx
Question: might a separate set of barrel be a proper solution?

I wonder about the availability and cost of a set of Parker 20 gauge barrels? Maybe there are some Repro's around. Galazan made a few but I think stopped producing them
Posted By: Dan S. W. Re: Choke Change - Impact on value? - 01/20/17 11:23 PM
Not sure how high demand is for full/full guns. I have had a nice original Greener with 30 inch (damascus) barrels consigned for 3-4 months at $900. I thought the chokes had something to do with it not moving quickly.
Posted By: Wild Skies Re: Choke Change - Impact on value? - 01/20/17 11:31 PM
Originally Posted By: Fourteener54
Gents:
This is probably a rhetorical question, but doesn't hurt to ask.
I have an early original Parker DHE 20 Full/Full. I want to open chokes to IMP Cly./ Mod. for quail.

Please weigh in on opinions as to potential negative impact to value of gun. Thank you

I know people that would pay a premium for a Parker 20 with IC/M chokes over one choked F/F, I also know people that wouldn't even consider buying a Parker with altered chokes.
Posted By: dal Re: Choke Change - Impact on value? - 01/21/17 12:19 AM
Spred'r inserts work very well in full chokes. I could send you pics of my zoli pattern sheets. Pretty much turns full into ic, and still have the full choke for escaping mallards.

On another note, I'd rather buy a f/f choked gun and open it up myself if I wanted to. Never know if a reamer went a few thousand off center and ruined the POI pattern, and requires the gun be sold?
Posted By: Recoil Rob Re: Choke Change - Impact on value? - 01/21/17 02:55 AM
Buy another gun to go quail hunting...
Posted By: L. Brown Re: Choke Change - Impact on value? - 01/21/17 01:35 PM
Originally Posted By: kirkp
A lot probably has a lot to do with its current condition. My guess is that it's in respectable condition. Might want to look for opinions on the Parker forum. Be warned that they'll want lots of pictures.
Kirk

I'd second the significance of condition. If you've got a very high condition gun, you're talking about the collectible factor. But if condition puts it more into the "shooter" category and you don't plan on selling it anyhow . . . it's your gun. If you don't have any use for F/F chokes in a 20ga, have a doublegun smith with a good reputation choke it the way you want it.

Or, if you decide not to mess with it and want a nice Parker for quail, there are plenty of 20ga Reproductions out there choked IC/M. You might even find one that's Q1 & 2. I love my 28ga Repro with those chokes. And because there were about as many 20ga Repros made as 12's and 28's combined, IMO prices are very reasonable for the quality of gun you get.
Posted By: Boats Re: Choke Change - Impact on value? - 01/21/17 01:59 PM
It's a much sought after gun, not built for quail hunting. Better to buy something built for your purpose. Value one thing how long it would take to sell if altered another. Either way not a good idea.

Boats
Posted By: Fourteener54 Re: Choke Change - Impact on value? - 01/22/17 02:42 AM
Gents, Thanks for the input. I can use a 28 gauge Antonio Gil or a 16 Gauge Sterlingworth with, Imp/Mod chokes.

I've had better of seasons shooting the Parker 20 on quail. It is the best handling Parker I've owned/shot.

Late season scaled quail in NM are low, fast flying birds. A real challenge for any hunter.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com