doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: John E I.J. Hercules vs. Skeeter. - 02/12/17 10:11 PM
Looking at the Hercules and the Skeeter models they appear to be the same gun with differences mostly in stock configuration. Why the disparity in value? Price figures alone gives one the impression they are totally different guns. Is there something I am missing? Did Cooey mfg all these guns or just those for the Canadian market?
Posted By: Daryl Hallquist Re: I.J. Hercules vs. Skeeter. - 02/12/17 10:20 PM
I am not sure on the Hercules, but the Skeet-er is made on a heavy frame for lots of clay bird shooting. Maybe the only gun made like that in it's era. I see upgraded wood on the Skeet-er as well as single trigger and ejector options. Skeet-er was made in 410, 28, 20, 16, and 12 gauge and choked for clay bird shooting.
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: I.J. Hercules vs. Skeeter. - 02/12/17 10:31 PM
I don't understand the Cooey reference in the OP. Did the Canadian gun manufacturer Cooey have some relationship to the US Iver Johnson gun company?...Geo
Posted By: John E Re: I.J. Hercules vs. Skeeter. - 02/12/17 11:02 PM
Geo.,

My inquiry about Cooey is from seeing posts referencing such. Here is a passage from a couple years back from another forum:

"Iver Johnson had a contract with the H. W .Cooey Machine and Arms Co of Cobourg Ontaro to assemble shotguns starting in 1932 up until at least 1939. Cooey was a Canadian firearms manufacturer in Cobourg Ontario. They were taken over by Winchester in 1961 and Winchester closed the doors in 1979. Both the Iver Johnson Champion and Hercules double barrel shotguns were finished and assembled at the Cooey plant. Living in Canada, I have a few Iver Johnsons that bear the Cobourg stamping. The information regarding the Iver Johnson-Cooey connection was taken from the Cooey book by John Belton."

Now, knowing that everything I read on the internet is gospel, I want to question this passage to test its' authenticity. :-)
Posted By: eightbore Re: I.J. Hercules vs. Skeeter. - 02/12/17 11:08 PM
I have seen Iver Johnson Hercules doubles with Canadian stampings, but not a Skeeter. I would guess that is because we are in the US and don't see much Canadian stuff for sale. I know Skeeters have a Deely forend release, and I suspect that the Hercules is a friction fit forend. I may be wrong, so correct me if that is the case.
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: I.J. Hercules vs. Skeeter. - 02/12/17 11:24 PM
Thanks John E for connecting the dots on the Cooey reference. I know nothing about the IJ connection, but Cooey did manufacture some guns under contract with Winchester before being bought out.

I have a Cooey badged model 37 single shot which, appears to have emigrated to the UK at some point. Note the Birmingham proofs marks on this one:

...Geo
Posted By: John E Re: I.J. Hercules vs. Skeeter. - 02/12/17 11:31 PM
eightbore,

You are correct that the Skeeter has a Deeley latch, but I believe all Skeeters have ejectors. The Hercules w/ejectors also has a Deeley latch.

John
Posted By: Daryl Hallquist Re: I.J. Hercules vs. Skeeter. - 02/13/17 12:23 AM
Some Skeet-ers do not have ejectors. Had a two barrel set 12 with extractors.
Posted By: John E Re: I.J. Hercules vs. Skeeter. - 02/13/17 01:54 AM
Originally Posted By: Daryl Hallquist
Some Skeet-era do not have ejectors. Had a two barrel set 12 with extractors.

That being the case, do the Skeeters with extractors have a friction latch or Deeley?
Posted By: SIXSKB Re: I.J. Hercules vs. Skeeter. - 02/13/17 02:11 PM
I have a Cooey manufactured 20 ga. very low 3 digit ser #, probably first year production. From recollection the 20 ga was not listed in Iver Johnson catalog until about 1922 or 3. So it would appear that Cooey was making the guns prior to the above listed date of 1932.
Posted By: Daryl Hallquist Re: I.J. Hercules vs. Skeeter. - 02/13/17 02:42 PM
John, the two barrels set 12 bore had the Deeley and Edge forend fastener.
Posted By: Researcher Re: I.J. Hercules vs. Skeeter. - 02/13/17 03:04 PM
Looks to me as if the Hercules, Skeet-er and the Super-Trap all used the same action --

Posted By: John E Re: I.J. Hercules vs. Skeeter. - 02/13/17 04:14 PM
Originally Posted By: Researcher
Looks to me as if the Hercules, Skeet-er and the Super-Trap all used the same action --

So, If they are the same action:is the Skeet-er over priced? Or the Hercules an exceptional sleeper? The wood just can't be a $1000 option.

John;)
Posted By: eightbore Re: I.J. Hercules vs. Skeeter. - 02/13/17 04:15 PM
Does anyone have an IJ catalog with the 30" .410 Skeeter barrels listed?
Posted By: bluedcanoed Re: I.J. Hercules vs. Skeeter. - 02/13/17 05:44 PM
Here is photo of a (Canadian) Iver Johnson Hercules I used to own. I think it is clear that there was enough work performed at the Cooey factory in Cobourg to allow the firearms to avoid import duties; I can't believe parts were manufactured in Canada.

[/img] [/img]
Posted By: Kutter Re: I.J. Hercules vs. Skeeter. - 02/13/17 06:20 PM
Originally Posted By: Researcher

I have a 12ga SKeeter. I don't have a Hercules any more so I don't recall how that worked but looking at the schematic it seems that there is/was a bbl trip involved (Hercules?). I see a trip, trip spring, ect. indicating that the top lever locks in the open position then slams shut with the closing of the bbls.
On the Skeeter I have, the lever simply returns to center after opening,,no trip mechanism to hold it open. Then the closing of the bbls pushes the horizontal locking block & the the lever open so the bbls can close all the way and the lever once again drops closed.

Other than that, from what I can see the insides look about the same.
The SKeeter has a non-auto safety,,but it does have the auto safe bar in place inside,,it's just in place up-side-down so the engagement bend/hook end of it at the spindle end is pointing downward and not engaging the toplever. So no auto safe. Take it apart and flip the bar over and put back in place and you have an auto-safe.
The chokes are true skeet set up,,the right bbl is the tighter choke,,the left bbl for the incoming bird is the open choke.
Ckokes marked on the bbl flats as 'O', open and 'C', choke(d).
St grip, ejectors, 26" bbls.

Mine's getting a new stock and forend,,the diamond shaped maple wood inlays really don't do it justice.

Posted By: gunsaholic Re: I.J. Hercules vs. Skeeter. - 02/13/17 06:37 PM
Originally Posted By: John E
Geo.,

My inquiry about Cooey is from seeing posts referencing such. Here is a passage from a couple years back from another forum:

"Iver Johnson had a contract with the H. W .Cooey Machine and Arms Co of Cobourg Ontaro to assemble shotguns starting in 1932 up until at least 1939. Cooey was a Canadian firearms manufacturer in Cobourg Ontario. They were taken over by Winchester in 1961 and Winchester closed the doors in 1979. Both the Iver Johnson Champion and Hercules double barrel shotguns were finished and assembled at the Cooey plant. Living in Canada, I have a few Iver Johnsons that bear the Cobourg stamping. The information regarding the Iver Johnson-Cooey connection was taken from the Cooey book by John Belton."

Now, knowing that everything I read on the internet is gospel, I want to question this passage to test its' authenticity. :-)

The above information you took from the net was posted by me. The information was taken from the Cooey Book written by John Belton. I have had, and have seen several Iver Johnson Hercules double barrels and single shot Champion models that were marked Iver Johnson, Made in Coburg. They were also marked Iver Johnson's Arms & Cycle Works (Canada) Ltd. Montreal. I don't believe parts were manufactured in Canada, the guns were just assembled here.
As far as I know, I don't think the Skeeter model was assembled in Canada.
Posted By: Researcher Re: I.J. Hercules vs. Skeeter. - 02/13/17 10:53 PM
Most of the SKEET-ERs that I see for sale are priced like they are mint condition collector's items, when they are in fact well used, messed with, reblued, wood refinished or replaced, worked over, and in some cases not even SKEET-ERs but some dealer trying to pass off a straight-gripped Hercules as a SKEET-ER.
Posted By: Laxcoach Re: I.J. Hercules vs. Skeeter. - 02/14/17 03:58 PM
The 16 ga. Skeeter I sold a couple years ago was a PG, choked F/M with extractors. it was unmolested.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com