doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Nick. C Winchester 37 (half a double gun) - 02/21/17 01:40 PM
Hi, hope it's ok to ask about a single barrel gun here as I'm not sure where else to ask about it.
A model 37 , .410 has just been acquired by a friend of mine, as far as I can tell it's an earlier model with the top lever above the hammer. It's not in bad shape and he's asked if it's worth a re black, service and general tidy up.
I believe they were made between 36 and 63 but have no idea when it was made as there's no numbers. Is the top lever with a rolled around end (think it's called a pig tail ?) An indication of age .
There's no sign of red paint in the lettering on the underside of the receiver so we're not sure if it's the" one to have"
What's the general opinion, are they a good reliable little gun ? It looks solid and I believe they were very popular , it's made in the USA but I can't remember what was stamped onto the barrel.
Any input/views would be gladly received and if it's not the place to ask with it being a single barrel, it's cool if the post is moved.
Thanks
Nick.
Posted By: wyobirds Re: Winchester 37 (half a double gun) - 02/21/17 03:31 PM
In 1952, I was 12 year old and I bought a 20 Ga. Model 37 Winchester. I used the gun until I was 20. I put the gun into service again when my kids were old enough to shoot and once again when my grandkids were old enough. The little gun has also helped a few neighbor kids to learn to shoot and I wouldn't hesitate to use it my self to hunt birds or shoot skeet. So ... If your gun is still tight, I would have no problems shooting the gun.
Posted By: Gr8day Re: Winchester 37 (half a double gun) - 02/21/17 04:02 PM
If I remember correctly, the pigtail toplever was dropped after the first year of production ('36-37) while the redlettering was dropped in the '40s. So, a pigtail gun should have had red lettering, at least at some point in its life. Also the blunt (bull nosed) forend evolved to a tapered style in the '40s.

A reblack wont help the value and may hurt it, so financially it's not worth it, but we're talking about a couple hundred dollars, so it's really up to his personal preferences.
Posted By: lagopus Re: Winchester 37 (half a double gun) - 02/21/17 04:14 PM
Nick, nice find in a way as I have been looking for a good example of a Model 37 for some time; just as a curiosity, as I don't think many were imported to the U.K.

This is what I have on the subject. The .410 model was introduced in 1940. If is lacks the depressed 'W' mark on the underside it is post 1948. They stopped making them in 1963.

Odd why they are scarce over here at the side of Harrington & Richardson's which turn up often. Lagopus.....
Posted By: Researcher Re: Winchester 37 (half a double gun) - 02/21/17 05:00 PM
Harrington & Richardson had an association with the English shotgun trade, from their licensed manufacturing in Worcester, Mass. of the Anson & Deeley hammerless back in the 1880s.

As for the Winchester Model 37, I doubt it would have a following if not for the Winchester name on it.
Posted By: Jagermeister Re: Winchester 37 (half a double gun) - 02/21/17 05:19 PM
[quote=El Garro]Hi, hope it's ok to ask about a single barrel gun here as I'm not sure where else to ask about it.
A model 37 , .410 has just been acquired by a friend of mine, as far as I can tell it's an earlier model with the top lever above the hammer. It's not in bad shape and he's asked if it's worth a re black, service and general tidy up.
I believe they were made between 36 and 63 but have no idea when it was made as there's no numbers. Is the top lever with a rolled around end (think it's called a pig tail ?) An indication of age .
There's no sign of red paint in the lettering on the underside of the receiver so we're not sure if it's the" one to have"

One of the better "Farmer Grade Garden Guns" out there. They were well made and hardly ever gave problems. The only part that went caput was the ejector/extractor which was offered for years by Cape Outfitters. I don't know Jeff's Outfitters may still have some in stock. The double barrel version is called Model 24.
Posted By: Jagermeister Re: Winchester 37 (half a double gun) - 02/21/17 05:25 PM
Originally Posted By: Researcher
Harrington & Richardson had an association with the English shotgun trade, from their licensed manufacturing in Worcester, Mass. of the Anson & Deeley hammerless back in the 1880s.

As for the Winchester Model 37, I doubt it would have a following if not for the Winchester name on it.

I heard H&R offered some real nice doubles around the Golden Age of Shotgunning. You're being little tough on little Model 37. I would take the Winchester 37 over H&R singles that were made until relatively recently.
Posted By: keith Re: Winchester 37 (half a double gun) - 02/21/17 05:30 PM
Sure Jagermeister... when you have to rent a Chinese .22 rifle and don't even own any double guns, a Winchester model 37 would be a huge step upward.
Posted By: Stallones Re: Winchester 37 (half a double gun) - 02/21/17 05:37 PM
I had one and loved it. I used it to shoot pen raised birds when I was training my pointers
Posted By: m-4 Re: Winchester 37 (half a double gun) - 02/21/17 05:53 PM
Couldn't ask for a better trainer, The dimensions are very similar to the mdl 12 pump & make the transition smoother. I have one in each gauge less the 28 & they make great loaners for introducing a youngster into the field with a shotgun.

m-4
Posted By: Nick. C Re: Winchester 37 (half a double gun) - 02/21/17 06:49 PM
Wow, thanks for all your replies. I think it's worth spending some time on, I've not had a proper look at it yet but small bore singles and folders still seem popular over here. I tend to steer away from H&R and Cooeys etc as they have usually had a hard life and there's few people really interested in them , the Winchester, although a little plain seems solid and practical, the ejector still works and from what was said above, seems to be an early model. There's some pitting in the bore so will have a good look at it and make a decision.
Thanks again for your posts.
Nick.
Posted By: Samuel_Hoggson Re: Winchester 37 (half a double gun) - 02/21/17 07:39 PM
They, and other .410 break-open singles, are still fairly popular up here for ground-swatting partridge off the gravel roads. Constrictions are usually tight, and empty 3" #4 and #6 can be found on the roads. My 37 .410 has 0.020" constriction, more than any other nominally full .410 bbl I have.

A nicer, better scaled, Winchester .410 single is the Model 20.
Posted By: ninepointer Re: Winchester 37 (half a double gun) - 02/21/17 08:39 PM
The first powder-burning gun I ever shot was a Winchester Model 37 in 16 ga. I remember it had one heck of a kick. This could have been because:
A) I was about 10 years old;
B) The geometry of the gun itself;
C) It was loaded with a high-brass Imperial brand shell (ask a Canadian, he'll know); or
D) all of the above.
Posted By: Bob Cash Re: Winchester 37 (half a double gun) - 02/21/17 09:33 PM
Originally Posted By: Samuel_Hoggson

A nicer, better scaled, Winchester .410 single is the Model 20.

Posted By: GLS Re: Winchester 37 (half a double gun) - 02/21/17 10:00 PM
Now, Bob, you are just showing off. wink Gil
Posted By: Jagermeister Re: Winchester 37 (half a double gun) - 02/22/17 12:28 AM
Originally Posted By: GLS
Now, Bob, you are just showing off. wink Gil

I would suggest old Stevens. Similar quality as Model 20 w/o big premium. That is analogous to gallery .22 pumps Model 29 about $250 Winchester version 3x or more in cost w/o superior fit or finish.
Posted By: Mike A. Re: Winchester 37 (half a double gun) - 02/22/17 04:42 AM
A Model 37 was my first gun and I still have mine, a .410 with a 28" full choke barrel. They DO hold up well; I got mine in 1951 and it's been shot and hunted with almost every small game season since then, mostly with the AWESOME 3" magnum shells. Great bunny buster and good for "things that go bump in the night" like coons and possums.

The stock fit and barrel patterning is as good as any field grade Winchester. The finish, especially inside, isn't.

I disabled the ejector on my .410 early on, since it would loft a pricey loaded .410 shell into the mud every time. Or into a cow pie.

I used a 16 guage 37 with a 28" barrel for several bird seasons for lack of anything better and it killed flying birds quite well, (I shot a lot of spreaders!).

Winchester made more 37s over the years than any other shotgun model. Most weren't .410s--small bore ones are harder to find than 12s and 16s, with the latter most common in Latin America where some have 36" barrels.

I've never seen one with a serial number, although the post-1968 ones are supposed to have them.
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: Winchester 37 (half a double gun) - 02/22/17 01:13 PM
I've never warmed up to the model 37s. That model 20 Mr. Cash posted the pic of above looks nice. I do like single shots, but my favorite is the "hammerless" Savage model 220...Geo
Posted By: old colonel Re: Winchester 37 (half a double gun) - 02/22/17 02:04 PM
Originally Posted By: El Garro

What's the general opinion, are they a good reliable little gun ?
Any input/views would be gladly received

M37s are a Solid Working utility gun. They are reliable. Potentially a good starter gun as others have pointed out.

I actually purchased a M37 in 16ga one a short time back for a test gun to use with a pressure trace measurement device. Not a thing of beauty, but solid
Posted By: Bob Cash Re: Winchester 37 (half a double gun) - 02/22/17 02:43 PM
I was in the market for a "Red Letter" 37 and then stumbled upon the Model 20.
I found several things appealing about the Model 20.
To my eye, sleeker than the 37. With production numbers at about 24,000, it is certainly more scarce than the 37.
Finally, let's not forget the coolest part of a 20 (and the 37), the exposed hammer.
Posted By: Jagermeister Re: Winchester 37 (half a double gun) - 02/22/17 02:46 PM
Yeh man, when I find me one of them 32" "Long Toms" I be sure to buy it right away. Me not want other kind. You can have them including rare and very expensive 28ga.
Posted By: Samuel_Hoggson Re: Winchester 37 (half a double gun) - 02/22/17 04:26 PM
Bob, My son will end up with the M-20. I still remember his first clay target break, H7, and the cloud of ink that had to last a minute. Was just about to grab the barrel before it hit the station 7 window shield. Not sure which of us was more surprised when the gun went off. Two weeks before he turned 7.
Posted By: Mike A. Re: Winchester 37 (half a double gun) - 02/22/17 04:28 PM
Much as I like the Model 37, I'd have to agree with the choice of the 220 and disagree with Bob: especially for a "kid trainer," the Savage 220 is both a safer and a more practical gun.

Hammer singles don't really prepare a kid to use a double well, since they then need to get used to the tang safety on the double and forget the hammer. That can lead to some early fumbles, which are discouraging.

And hammers for very young (or clumsy) kids can be a menace-- de-cocking a hammer single with a careless, weak, or slippery little thumb can lead to an AD (DON'T ask me how I know this....). And carrying it around cocked is worse ("").

Unfortunately 220s are a lot harder to find than hammer singles and Ithaca's "Lefever Long Range" is even harder (I notice that Henry Repeating Arms is coming out with a line of hammer singles later this spring, BTW).
Posted By: GLS Re: Winchester 37 (half a double gun) - 02/22/17 05:16 PM
I agree about the Savage 220's desirability. I have it in 20 and .410. Time to do the semi-annual re-trot out the crowd pleasing photo of Jaycee's buddy Pato. It's a well-used Russian Baikal single-shot. It is currently made as the MP-18 but no longer imported because of Ukraine issues. I have several of these guns in 20 and .410 and they are rock solid. The safety is on the trigger guard. Another interesting single-shot is the Beretta 412. Variations have been imported by various concerns badged by other companies. The hammerless MP-18 can be found on gunbroker marked as the Remington SPR100. The MP-18 maybe the only low cost single-shot that is hammerless currently manufactured. Gil

Posted By: Bob Cash Re: Winchester 37 (half a double gun) - 02/22/17 05:39 PM
[quote=Mike A.] I disagree with Bob [quote]

It took me two years to learn how to talk and 55 years later I'm still learning how to shut up.
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: Winchester 37 (half a double gun) - 02/22/17 07:37 PM
Speaking of American hammerless singles, I found one made by H&R at a recent local gunshow...Geo

Posted By: Mike A. Re: Winchester 37 (half a double gun) - 02/22/17 10:27 PM
Yeah, Geo. various US and other mfrs. made them hammerless over the years, but hunters being cheap (I cop to that.) and conservative ("") apparently wanted hammers.... So that's what they, and now we, mostly got.

At one point, I think the 1930s and early '40s, most US mfrs. of single barrel shotguns tried to make an export model in 16 guage for Latin America, mainly with extra-long barrels to accommodate the "rural myth" that they "shoot harder." (The PC explanation for this phenomenon is "hypermasculinity," I believe.).
Posted By: Claybird Re: Winchester 37 (half a double gun) - 02/25/17 08:36 PM
I have a "Red Letter" Model 37 in 20 g. that I picked p a number of years ago, but have never shot it.
Posted By: Researcher Re: Winchester 37 (half a double gun) - 02/25/17 10:00 PM
The first thing that I have that shows the Harrington & Richardson No. 3 Hammerless is the 1929 Stoeger catalog. Here it is from the 1933 H & R Catalog --

It was still shown in the 1940 H & R catalog, but isn't in the 1949.
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: Winchester 37 (half a double gun) - 02/25/17 10:46 PM
Researcher, thanks for posting the catalog description above. When I bought mine a few months ago, the dealer at the gun-show also had a 10 ga example of the same gun. The 10 had a cut barrel so I did not buy it along with the 16ga.

I noticed that your catalog description did not include a 10 ga gun, and thought the existence of the big gauge might be of interest to you. It may be that the H&R 10 was given a different model designation...Geo
Posted By: Nick. C Re: Winchester 37 (half a double gun) - 04/26/18 06:23 PM
Apologies for resurrecting an old thread but the 37 is now in bits ready for a bit of tlc and I'm hoping someone may be able to answer a question .
I have some red enamel paint which can be baked so plan to re-colour the lettering on the underside of the receiver once it's been blacked.
One site on the net said that the stamped/rolled lettering on the barrel was in red too, but I'm not sure if this is correct. There's a bunch of Brit proof marks and "not British made" stamps on the barrel and action which will be left as they are but I wondered if anyone could tell me if the rest of the writing should be coloured ?
There's also a broken hammer ear which needs a weld repair, does anyone have a pic of the hammer they could post here or send via email please ?
I'm not sure if this part changed shape over the years but this model has the pig tail top lever if that helps.
I can't post pics as my vintage mobile phone won't let me sign up to the better hosting sites.
Thanks,
Nick.
Posted By: sxsman1 Re: Winchester 37 (half a double gun) - 04/26/18 08:15 PM

Nick, if you would like to buy a replacement for the broken hammer ear, it's not too expensive try

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/gun-manufacturer/winchester/shotguns-win/37-win

Pete
Posted By: Nick. C Re: Winchester 37 (half a double gun) - 04/26/18 08:31 PM
Thanks for the link Pete, unfortunately I'm in the UK and they won't ship here.
I'm not sure when any parts changed shape but the one I have here has fine diagonal or diamond shape checkering, it looks to be shaped like an upside down spoon (for want of a better description smile ) the owner would like to keep it as original as possible so was hoping to Tig a piece on, then shape and cut the checker before blacking.
Thanks again for your suggestion though.
Posted By: arrieta2 Re: Winchester 37 (half a double gun) - 04/26/18 10:41 PM
These are great little guns. I use to aquire these. At one time I had 28 of these. I have sold most of them off as my tastes have changed. I still have two new in the box, also a 410, 20 and 16 ga. I use to have really great fun in PA hunting with them.

You will have fun with it!

John Boyd
Posted By: 2-piper Re: Winchester 37 (half a double gun) - 04/26/18 11:10 PM
I realize this is just a technicality, But, as I recall the 37 does not have a "hammer". I have never owned one of them & has been a while since I have even looked at one. However my recollection is they are Striker fired. The "Hammer is in reality just a cocking piece, it doesn't strike a firing pin.

Personally I always liked the old Iver Johnson Champion or H&R Topper layouts with conventional hammer & firing pins better than the 37, but of course that's just one man's personal opinion. Apparently a lot of folks liked them.
Posted By: Chukarman Re: Winchester 37 (half a double gun) - 04/27/18 12:27 AM
My first gun at age 12 - a Winchester 37 in twenty gauge. Killed quail and pheasant with it... and doves, too.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com