doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Don A Double gun storage question - 02/28/17 05:54 PM
I have always kept all of my old doubles stored away in a secured closet in my house but since recently moving to a smaller home that's not so much an option I have bee looking to buy a fire proof gun vault that unfortunately the only place I have to put it is in an unheated garage Any advise or opinions good or bad?
Posted By: KY Jon Re: Double gun storage question - 02/28/17 06:09 PM
Goldenrods will help. I stay away from storing guns in unheated spaces. Too much moisture and too much rust potential.
Posted By: Bartlett Re: Double gun storage question - 02/28/17 07:01 PM
Originally Posted By: Don A
the only place I have to put it is in an unheated garage Any advise or opinions good or bad?

It's not ideal but I admit I've stored my collection in conditions like that for years with no problem and only mild preventative measures.

The reputed moisture conditions are not from the cold. They're from either 1) relatively rapid variation in temperature causing condensation 2) humidity. I'd check for those first. Frankly humidity is a problem that gets worse with warmth anyway and rust will be more active the warmer the temperature under otherwise identical conditions. Just think about rust browning procedures smile

The steps I take are to oil and wax appropriately and place all guns stock up barrel down avoiding contact with fabric which acts as a moisture trap and rust enhancer (DO NOT STORE IN GUN CASES). I use normal cleaning/lubricating procedures with nothing more with a light coat of Renaissance Wax on the barrels and lockwork. Renaissance wax avoids oil/wood contamination problems and stays in place.

I'd love to have a large gun room for display but that's never going to happen (at least as long as I stay married : ) )so I make do with what I can.

Jeremy
Posted By: btdtst Re: Double gun storage question - 02/28/17 07:19 PM
My safe has always been in an unheated garage where temps have ranged from below freezing to upper nineties. Never had any problems at all. None. I do use a Golden Rod and check it periodically to make sure it is still working properly. This has been my experience for 25 years and in different climates, some dry, some pretty humid. As long as the firearm has been cleaned/wiped down properly before hand I would expect no issues.
Posted By: builder Re: Double gun storage question - 02/28/17 08:55 PM
While living in Bergen County in NJ, my safe was in the garage. I ran a goldenrod for about 4 hours per day year round and wiped my guns down with an oil after cleaning and never had a problem.
Are you north or south Jersey?
Posted By: Der Ami Re: Double gun storage question - 02/28/17 09:06 PM
Don A
Be sure to bolt the safe down, to avoid it being removed with a hand truck.
Mike
Posted By: Mike Covington Re: Double gun storage question - 02/28/17 11:24 PM
Here's a nice looking safe, weighs 1,100 lbs, and should be fine for outside storage. Wish I had the room for one.

https://www.revolutionsafes.com/products/stronghold-xl/
Posted By: gunut Re: Double gun storage question - 02/28/17 11:38 PM
just buy a nice looking safe....bolt it to the floor in the rec room or bedroom....tell the wife that's just how it is going to be...you know grow a couple....also tell her she can store her 'NEW' jewelry in the safe ... wink
Posted By: Don A Re: Double gun storage question - 03/01/17 12:01 AM
thanks for the ideas all

Builder -no longer in NJ lived in way south NJ .. haven't posted in awhile needed to update my info
Posted By: Jagermeister Re: Double gun storage question - 03/01/17 12:30 AM
Originally Posted By: Mike Covington
Here's a nice looking safe, weighs 1,100 lbs, and should be fine for outside storage. Wish I had the room for one.

https://www.revolutionsafes.com/products/stronghold-xl/

If you keep guns in unheated/un air conditioned garage in Va there will be oxidation problems. I limit my arsenal to two handguns, two shotguns and one rifle. This reduces problems for my family if something happens to me and I have no need for 1,100lb monstrosity.

I tried to reduce shotgun inventory to one gun, but I can't do recreational shooting with 4.5lb shotgun which I use for hunting. I might be able to eliminate one handgun keeping subcompact one and letting to the 1911 brick.
Posted By: Karl Graebner Re: Double gun storage question - 03/01/17 12:38 AM
I have the good fortune to have taken over my son's room after he moved out and turned it into my gun room, complete with bird mounts, safe, desk, gun library, small sofa, and the like. My wife has my daughters old room for whatever she likes. I love it when the kids vacate.
Karl
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Double gun storage question - 03/01/17 02:17 AM
No problem keeping a safe in an unheated, basically outside space. Just remember these two things and all will be well ....... Goldenrod and Eezox.

I speak from many years experience with the exact conditions you will be experiencing, plus the astronomical humidity of the South.

SRH
Posted By: Tamid Re: Double gun storage question - 03/01/17 02:36 AM
Stan,

I use black powder shells in all my sxs guns. I clean them with soap and water, use wonder lube and a product similar to Renaissance wax. I have found after about a year the wonderlube in the barrel goes off and they need a good cleaning. I was wondering if after cleaning I ran a patch of Eezox down the barrel if that might cause me extreme barrel fouling problems in my first few shots since black powder and petroleum products don't get along so well.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Double gun storage question - 03/01/17 03:05 AM
Tamid, I'm sorry I can't answer that question. I shot my m/l rifles, and a 16 ga. Manton, for years and after thoroughly cleaning the bores, and thoroughly drying them, I protected them with RIG. I never have had any problem with long term storage of them. They are the guns that will try the abilities of the Eezox the most. I am "easing my way" into using the Eezox to protect them. All others I am comfortable recommending Eezox for protecting and lubing.

And a nice added bonus, it's the best smelling stuff you can imagine.

SRH
Posted By: Rocketman Re: Double gun storage question - 03/01/17 04:13 AM
When I have a gun going into "retirement/long term disuse," I scrub inside bores and apply Ren wax. Anyone else use wax on the bores?

DDA
Posted By: 67galaxie Re: Double gun storage question - 03/01/17 04:57 AM
Golden rods and check it once a week
Posted By: old colonel Re: Double gun storage question - 03/01/17 01:23 PM
Originally Posted By: Rocketman
When I have a gun going into "retirement/long term disuse," I scrub inside bores and apply Ren wax. Anyone else use wax on the bores?

DDA

I have used Ren wax on the exterior but never have on the inside the bore. Lately I have not ren waxed much except on wood. I just wipe exterior metal non barrel surfaces with light coating of eezox then eezox oil the hell out the barrels inside and out and store muzzle down.

I found that be reducing my total number of guns in favour of quality I simplified the tasks significantly. As of late I find I use two guns of nineteen 99% of the time and the rest sit. I guess I need to reduce stock on hand again as I have crept back up in numbers yet again.
Posted By: Don A Re: Double gun storage question - 03/01/17 01:53 PM
Been like 15 years now I've been using the eezox myself great stuff
Posted By: Ken61 Re: Double gun storage question - 03/01/17 02:34 PM
This stuff is the "Cutting Edge" for bore and metal protection. Especially if you use the barrel inserts. Whenever I take in a set of barrels that I'm not going to work on immediately, the entire tubes get a coating. I also coat all bores with it after polishing before I return a set of tubes. A friend of mine uses it on his trap gun that spends a lot of time cased in his truck for effective rust prevention.

theinhibitor.com

Regards
Ken
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com