doublegunshop.com - home
Please indulge my ignorance here, but I thought that this group might have some wisdom to impart:

A not-for-profit that I work with recently auctioned off a very expensive bottle of whiskey, and of course, the winner is in NJ, not CA. How does one ship, legally and safely, such an item across the country? Does it require any special licensing or using a special carrier, or can one simply send it by a common carrier with a crapload of packing for physical security and a bunch of insurance to cover any potential loss?

I don't even drink any more, and never did drink anything that cost more than a buck a gulp, so I just don't know much about this kind of thing. (I don't have to explain why I thought you lot might, do I?).

Thanks in advance (let the cracks start cracklin'!),

Mike Armstrong
You may have a real problem, NJ is a ridiculously overregulated state and this includes their alcohol laws. I do not believe you can ship a bottle into NJ by mail. (By mail this includes FEDEX, UPS, etc)

Could you mail it without revealing the contents incredibly well packed yes, if you get caught you will get fined etc.

Your best legal bet is to contact a liqour distributor in NJ to see if they will receive it and conduct delivery as to move liqour commercially in NJ requires a NJ issued license to transport
What is it? Black Bowmore? Seriously, I'm not sure I'd trust any of the major carriers. You should consider uShip, so it's "hand carried" all the way.

Regards
Ken
Road trip!

https://youtu.be/qqaFGM-AyNA

Hope it makes it.

I can tell you this...UPS delivered a fine bottle of Stone Imperial Russian Stout to my daughter in NYC without issue....then a local bike courier ran the box over on her doorstep. The puddle was waiting for her when she arrived home...bike tracks down the center of the box....:-(
Originally Posted By: Dave Weber
I was tempted to delete this post. Yet, whiskey is close enough to bourbon to keep me interested.

Hope it makes it.

I can tell you this...UPS delivered a fine bottle of Stone Imperial Russian Stout to my daughter in NYC without issue....then a local bike courier ran the box over on her doorstep. The puddle was waiting for her when she arrived home...bike tracks down the center of the box....:-(

He must have been a heathen.

SRH
For what it's worth I periodically receive expensive single cask via UPS.
Having said that local laws also matter as do Federal. It is technically illegal to import Scotch, rather like a Rolex,...a threat to US insecurity I gather.
smile

Jeremy
This should help you. Give them a call and ask.
https://www.ups.com/content/ee/en/about/news/service_updates/06092009_alcoholuk.html
Wisconsin accepts anything with alcohol and we are very close to New Jersey. Ship it to my home and I will hold it until the owner can pick it up. Wink, wink.
I don't think one bottle is going to start a revolution....

Let me guess Pappy Van Winkle.
Originally Posted By: Dave Weber
I was tempted to delete this post. Yet, whiskey is close enough to bourbon to keep me interested.

eYe for a new whiskey section....

It would be a great place for fellow gun enthusiasts (when they've had a few) to ponder over screws, loose screws, screws lost and missing.
I was in a group being selected for a jury trial concerning a shipment of five bottles "collector grade" wine. The purchaser said what he received was not what he ordered and paid for. The seller said that what he shipped was correct, and the bottles must have been intercepted somewhere and either substituted or relabeled or whatever. I don't remember if the carrier was FedEx or UPS.

The lawsuit was for $25,000.00, but I thought that wasting a jury trial and three days on this matter was uncalled for, and said so, and I was not picked for the jury panel.

What I did take from this was that entrusting such a valuable, perishable, and irreplaceable item to the common carriers was a risky proposition. You probably should use a bonded carrier with photos, documentation, certification, and plenty of insurance.

Either that or just open the bottle and pass it around to your fellow organization members and give the buyer his money back. Would save you a lot of hassle.

HHH
Looking at Total Wines site they will ship to New Jersey so I'm betting that shipping alcohol into the state is okay. They ship using Fedex.
FedEx/UPS...how dreadfully boring. Get some Buck Owens, Merle Haggard, Mel Street and Gary Stewart 8-tracks and run it out there Gator McClusky style. Have HojOe run blocker for ya.

I don't know if it's $500 or $5000, but I'd double box it into a large box with plenty of cushioning. Most boxes I receive from UPS look to have fallen off of their conveyor system multiple times.
Only requirement I know of is that an adult - 21+ - has to sign for it. I got a note at home while I was at work, and they told me they could not leave it. So I had them deliver it to work, and told receiving to be on the look out and NOT to open it. grin
This bottle is from a distillery called Knob Creek in Kentucky, if that means anything to anyone. Jerseyboy paid $4000 for it; his taste buds must be better educated than mine.

Thanks for the advice, guys. I've passed it on to the poor soul tasked with "gettin' 'er done".

The ducks, geese, and brant at Bolsa Chica Ecological Reserve (which gets the proceeds) also thank you, and hope not to meet you over decoys any time soon....they're afraid you might know EXACTLY what to do in THAT situation!
Originally Posted By: Slowpokebill
Looking at Total Wines site they will ship to New Jersey so I'm betting that shipping alcohol into the state is okay. They ship using Fedex.

Note NJ law looks at hard liqour and wine differently.
Get a big loaf of French bread, cut it in half, insert bottle, tape up, .......pack in box filled with popcorn, ......ship!
This is too easy! Check to see if the New Jersey city you wish to ship this liquor to is a Sanctuary City.

If it is a Sanctuary City, simply hire an Illegal Mexican as your "Mule" to smuggle the bottle in. If the Authorities happen to catch him, they will just release him and look the other way, while a bona fide U.S. Citizen would have been arrested.
Best laugh of the month, Keith.

Prolly true, sadly enough.

Best,
Ted
Originally Posted By: Mike A.
This bottle is from a distillery called Knob Creek in Kentucky, if that means anything to anyone. Jerseyboy paid $4000 for it; his taste buds must be better educated than mine.

Thanks for the advice, guys. I've passed it on to the poor soul tasked with "gettin' 'er done".

The ducks, geese, and brant at Bolsa Chica Ecological Reserve (which gets the proceeds) also thank you, and hope not to meet you over decoys any time soon....they're afraid you might know EXACTLY what to do in THAT situation!

You sure he didn't buy the entire barrel ?
I think maybe his ego got him OVER a barrel....
Mike,did you refer to the man who donated$4K to the group you work for as "Jerseyboy"?
I'ld fire the damn fool who would belittle the man who made such a large donation.
In fact I just may look into this.
Better than yankeebOy....
That's what you call a guy from New Jersey, a "Jerseyboy" If its a girl, a "Jerseygirl."
"...I just may look into this."

Better chase those kids off your lawn first.

Good times,
Well, that's our job. That's what we do. laugh
Originally Posted By: justin
The man made a charitable contribution to a worthy organization and all you dullards can do is make fun of him.
Good times,

Speaking of dullards, how did you lose your sense of humour? Was it an accident or were you just born that way. Get a grip, man!
Originally Posted By: justin
The man made a charitable contribution to a worthy organization and all you dullards can do is make fun of him.
Good times,

justin, have you met Gladys Kravitz, our seriously uptight thread moderator... also known as old colonel? You two sound like kindred spirits. Though ducks and geese might be a rare endangered species where you live, they aren't exactly Jerry's Kids around here. Have you heard all the uproar and hand-wringing over the disrespect caused by this hit Broadway musical?

Actually, there isn't any. Maybe you should look into it. It's nice that "worthy organization" had a benefactor who was willing to bid $4000 on a $35.00 bottle of whiskey. But it took at least two bidders to run it up that high. I'd much rather spend the four large on a nice double shotgun to use to hunt ducks and geese. Hey, now we're on topic!
Those guys in New Jersey have more money than they know what to do with. At a stop light by Ft Monmouth saw two kids drag racing their cars. A brand new Ferrari Testarossa and an older but still cherry Jaguar XKE Roadster.
Originally Posted By: treblig1958
Those guys in New Jersey have more money than they know what to do with. At a stop light by Ft Monmouth saw two kids drag racing their cars. A brand new Ferrari Testarossa and a Jaguar XKE.

That must have been a few years ago! I also can bet on the outcome.
Doug, I swear to this day that I blinked my eyes and they were already out of eyesight!!!!!
My Dad said in the early 1960s there was a sign as you were heading west on the turnpike that said "You are now leaving the state of New Jersey, drive SAFELY" and he said it was the best thing about the entire state.
I tried to find it, when I visited an Uncle on a trip east on my 750 GSXR, but, I never did.
Dad hated Jersey. Stuck there training USMC reservists with seventh rifle corps on some new fangled rifle called an M16, at the NARTS, the naval air rocket test station, shortly after returning from an adviser role in a southeast Asian country, where he used a Remington 700 on the job. He left as quick as he could.
Dad thought Jersey was the best place in the world, to be from.
Thanks for the memories.

Best,
Ted
Was never much of a Springsteen fan until I heard Nebraska. Still one of my favorite records.

https://youtu.be/Vf-Y426YMto

I like New Jersey.

Keep in mind just because something is old doesn't make it valuable....
The aging process stops once the whiskey leaves the cask and is bottled. Once bottled, the flavor does not improve, opposed to wine, which does. In the cask, it's the action of the spirit interacting with the wood, as well as the evaporation over years that is the aging process. The longer in the cask, the more is lost, called the "Angel's Share". Different woods also provide different flavors. Typically, bourbon is aged in charred, new oak casks. These casks are often then shipped to Scotland and then used again for Scotch.

Other things like sherry casks and port pipes are sometimes also used for aging.

Another thing that has been happening with American Whiskey is that some producers of Small Batch whiskey have been doing is using traditional pot stills to make it, as opposed to using more modern continuous stills. This improves the flavor, and is the same method used in Scotland.

Regards
Ken
Quote:
Speaking of old whiskey, where can I find an approximate value for an unopened 100 year-old bottle of bourbon?

There are second-hand facebook groups that barter in this type of stuff often, most are secret. What bottle do you have and I will try seeing if one has sold recently to get you an estimate price.
Originally Posted By: lonesome roads
Was never much of a Springsteen fan until I heard Nebraska. Still one of my favorite records.

https://youtu.be/Vf-Y426YMto

I like New Jersey.

How did you miss Darkness on the Edge of Town??? Freakin'classic!
Hi Chad, and thanks for the help. The label says Special Old Reserve, by the American Medicinal Spirits Company. The tax stamp says Made in 1917 Bottled in 1932.
I found this posting, original asking price was $600, then he dropped to $500 with no takers, so I would assume the market is less that $500. Hope this helps.

© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com