doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: al Fox on Gunbroker-What am I missing - 04/11/17 05:34 PM
Why would this A. H. Fox be worth the bid price in its current condition?

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/636552176
Posted By: James M Re: Fox on Gunbroker-What am I missing - 04/11/17 05:43 PM
No where near what they are asking for an opening bid. If the pitting isn't too deep it can probably be restored to decent condition but that won't be inexpensive.
Jim
Posted By: James M Re: Fox on Gunbroker-What am I missing - 04/11/17 05:44 PM
No where near what they are asking for an opening bid. If the pitting isn't too deep it can probably be restored to decent condition but that won't be inexpensive.
Jim
Posted By: al Re: Fox on Gunbroker-What am I missing - 04/11/17 05:53 PM
Gun started at 1 cent and has bid up over $3K?
Posted By: Ken61 Re: Fox on Gunbroker-What am I missing - 04/11/17 06:05 PM
Check the bid history. It appears one of our members is pretty Hot & Heavy after it. Gotta love that tube condition. I'd love to get my hands on'em!

Regards
Ken
Posted By: keith Re: Fox on Gunbroker-What am I missing - 04/11/17 06:07 PM
This is obviously the now famous Fox that King Brown lost in the icy North Atlantic while duck hunting in a blizzard when his duck boat was swamped by waves. And then at the advanced age of his mid-70's, he recovered it by scuba diving for it at great depths in dark icy waters several months later. It is rumored that King's imaginary friends, John F. Kennedy and Martin Luther King miraculously drove the boat to the exact spot where King lost it in a raging winter gale months earlier. Mere mortals would need exact GPS coordinates at the very least to accomplish this feat.

He thought he had it restored, but the crafty gunsmith, aware of it's special provenance and value, kept it for himself and gave King another gun with altered serial numbers.

Either that, or several guys are screwing with the seller for putting such a high minimum bid on a rusty low grade Fox.
Posted By: Ken61 Re: Fox on Gunbroker-What am I missing - 04/11/17 06:17 PM
And here I thought it might be 80 years of Case Wear. wink

Is that a barnacle I see?

Posted By: KY Jon Re: Fox on Gunbroker-What am I missing - 04/11/17 07:06 PM
What you are missing grasshopper is seeing what you are looking at. That is not a Sterlingworth straight grip ejector. If you ran the serial number you'd figure out what grade it is.

Here is my guess. It is not an A,B,C,D,F grade. I think it is an HE with a straight grip. Not sure if it is a 3" or just regular chamber gun. Don't be scared but all that fluffy surface rust. Most of that will quickly clean up. So if it sells for 3,500 and cost 2,000 to restore is that a steal or just a gamble.
Posted By: canvasback Re: Fox on Gunbroker-What am I missing - 04/11/17 07:27 PM
I didn't run the numbers but as soon as I saw the price, I was guessing an H grade.
Posted By: keith Re: Fox on Gunbroker-What am I missing - 04/11/17 07:35 PM
If that was the case, I sure wouldn't be running up the bidding 4 days prior to the end of the auction. But people show their hand all the time, and then wonder why they lose at poker.
Posted By: Marks_21 Re: Fox on Gunbroker-What am I missing - 04/11/17 07:53 PM
Yeah-could have been a sleeper l, but no more. I see that as a super fox that will end up with a solid amount of case color after a little oooo wool. That isn't pitting. That is surface rust that may be totally superficial. It is being saved just in the nice of time! Would have been a very solid gamble, but not at 3700 for me !
Posted By: SKB Re: Fox on Gunbroker-What am I missing - 04/11/17 07:59 PM
Steel wool would be a good way to remove the colors that remain. Put it in an ultrasonic cleaner and then. carefully scrape with a sharpened piece of brass. Could be a real beauty under all the crud. I have cleaned up much uglier guns.
Posted By: KY Jon Re: Fox on Gunbroker-What am I missing - 04/11/17 08:25 PM
They loose at poker because they are bad at math. 2% chance any card in the deck is he one you need. If you only have a single card that will give you the winning hand you are betting a long shot. I had a fellow who told me looking for just one card like that was a 50:50 bet. He figured it was yes or no but truth is that it is yes, no,no,no......no. And he wondered by he arely won on such 50:50 odds.

As to bidding early I agree it is a mistake. Draws too much interest.
Posted By: Marks_21 Re: Fox on Gunbroker-What am I missing - 04/11/17 08:29 PM
Pardon my general/ casual speak. I meant more the barrels w/ the wool, but in any case without being a gorilla one would have a gun with a lot of potential.
Posted By: canvasback Re: Fox on Gunbroker-What am I missing - 04/11/17 08:33 PM
Originally Posted By: keith
If that was the case, I sure wouldn't be running up the bidding 4 days prior to the end of the auction. But people show their hand all the time, and then wonder why they lose at poker.

Exactly what I was thinking. I don't buy at auction much but when I do, I make no bids until the last possible second. I want to depress the crap out of the guy who thought he was going to get it for a song. Works more often than not. Maybe not for steals but for generally keeping the prices sane.
Posted By: craigd Re: Fox on Gunbroker-What am I missing - 04/11/17 08:47 PM
Is there any obligation to any of the bidders while it's under the minimum? Maybe, someone wants folks to think they're missing out on something.
Originally Posted By: KY Jon
What you are missing grasshopper is seeing what you are looking at. That is not a Sterlingworth straight grip ejector. If you ran the serial number you'd figure out what grade it is.

Here is my guess. It is not an A,B,C,D,F grade. I think it is an HE with a straight grip. Not sure if it is a 3" or just regular chamber gun. Don't be scared but all that fluffy surface rust. Most of that will quickly clean up. So if it sells for 3,500 and cost 2,000 to restore is that a steal or just a gamble.

It definitely is not an HE, Master Po. Description says it does not have ejectors.

SRH
Posted By: KY Jon Re: Fox on Gunbroker-What am I missing - 04/11/17 10:31 PM

Stan I went by the pictures as above. Looks like ejectors to me. Would you pay 3500 for it in it's condition? If it has 3" chambers how much does that add to the gun value? I think it might be a decent risk. I sold my H grade for more than that and it did not have ejectors.

With those crappy photos you just can not know. Are the barrels matched to the gun or replaced? Is it an ejector gun or a extractor gun? Are the barrels original to the gun? Do all the serial numbers match? All these questions are needed to figure the real value out for the gun. I've asked for more and better pictures so we can all figure out what this Fox is.
My apologies, Jon. I should have looked at the pics. I only read the description which said it was not an ejector gun. It most certainly is an ejector Fox. My bad.

All my best, SRH
Posted By: Shotgunjones Re: Fox on Gunbroker-What am I missing - 04/11/17 11:08 PM
This stuff is just hilarious.

This is a 'gun shop' with supposedly 160 sales on that website, is that right?

Yet, he shows no pictures that convey information anyone needs to make an semi-intelligent bid.

You don't suppose... this might be accidentally intentional?

This guy is not in the gun business, he's in the deception business.

It's worth $50 unless proven otherwise.
Posted By: Jagermeister Re: Fox on Gunbroker-What am I missing - 04/11/17 11:48 PM
Probably because it has 3" chambers and weighs around 9lbs.
Posted By: Little Creek Re: Fox on Gunbroker-What am I missing - 04/11/17 11:53 PM
The bidders must have more information than what is apparent. If it is an H grade, it probably is worth some money. Even then, how much are refinished h grades worth? I saw one here lately for about $7000, but it was original. The gun in question is said to have extractors, but seems to have an ejector forend.
Posted By: SKB Re: Fox on Gunbroker-What am I missing - 04/12/17 12:05 AM
You do not need to re-finish that gun. To do so would be foolish. I think you could turn it in to a hell of gun with not much work.
Posted By: KY Jon Re: Fox on Gunbroker-What am I missing - 04/12/17 12:10 AM
Good Lord Stan I was not trying to piss you off. Maybe twist your tail, its been a bad couple of weeks. Very sorry. Those of us who can not read rely on pretty pictures when we can. With those bad angle pictures I can not prove the receiver is a ejector gun but the barrels are. If the serial number match and the barrels are original to the gun then it is not that much of a gamble to buy. What is a fair value for a restored HE? Even a shooter should be in the four to five grand area.
Good Lord Stan I was not trying to piss you off. Maybe twist your tail, its been a bad couple of weeks. Very sorry. Those of us who can not read rely on pretty pictures when we can. With those bad angle pictures I can not prove the receiver is a ejector gun but the barrels are. If the serial number match and the barrels are original to the gun then it is not that much of a gamble to buy. What is a fair value for a restored HE? Even a shooter should be in the four to five grand area.

No problem, Jon. You didn't. It was just good reminder to look more closely before I reply. No hard feelings at all.

All my best, SRH
Posted By: ed good Re: Fox on Gunbroker-What am I missing - 04/12/17 01:37 AM
i know the owners of this shop...they are honest good guys...nothing in the ad says otherwise...it is still a mystery as to why this crustly old fox is so highly coveted by so few...
Posted By: Shotgunjones Re: Fox on Gunbroker-What am I missing - 04/12/17 02:25 AM
Then I stand corrected.

With ed as a reference, they must be boy scouts.

There are 10 (ten) pictures.

None show barrel or action flats.

Does the gun open?

The description is vague.

The shop knows what they have, exactly, yet they leave possible bidders to guess?

Good entertainment anyway.
Posted By: KY Jon Re: Fox on Gunbroker-What am I missing - 04/12/17 03:27 AM
They say the bores are good so the gun must open to know that. Too many sellers take limited view photos. A good view of the water table could answer more than a few questions. If the seller sends me the photos I've asked for I'll post them here so many others can figure it all out with me or for me. smile
Posted By: Dogfox Re: Fox on Gunbroker-What am I missing - 04/12/17 11:42 AM
Any one with interest in this gun should get infor from Fox collectors namely the chambers, chokes, bbl length. Serial # can clearly be seen on one picture. Also ask the technicians there why ejectors might not work and if parts are compatible with regular fox and available if not.
Posted By: tut Re: Fox on Gunbroker-What am I missing - 04/12/17 12:11 PM
Good luck with the photos. I've emailed the seller and asked a bunch of questions and as of yet no response. Because it is a Straight grip HE it will most likely sell for 5 grand. Not many straight grip HE's out there. Most duck hunters wanted a bit more to hang onto.
Posted By: Jagermeister Re: Fox on Gunbroker-What am I missing - 04/12/17 01:15 PM
Originally Posted By: al
Why would this A. H. Fox be worth the bid price in its current condition?

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/636552176

What you see there is bunch of folks with one track mind and too much money to throw away. For the price asked I would look for 30 guinea or 35 guinea Facile Princeps W.W. Greener in very good original shape. It is better firearm that externally looks very similar to A.H.Fox. The only downside is most have central european style side safety buttons.
Posted By: KY Jon Re: Fox on Gunbroker-What am I missing - 04/12/17 01:24 PM
If you like a Fox you won't be very interested in a Greener. Just like Ford drivers won't be interested in other brands collectors tend to pick one brand to fall in love with.
Posted By: Gr8day Re: Fox on Gunbroker-What am I missing - 04/12/17 01:26 PM
If - and these are big ifs - the numbers match, there are no major barrel issues (bulges, pitting, dents), or the insides aren't frozen up, this gun is worth much more than 3700. It's just a lottery without that info.

A person looking for a Super Fox and its barrel boring would not take a Greener as an alternative.
Posted By: Jagermeister Re: Fox on Gunbroker-What am I missing - 04/12/17 01:35 PM
If one does not like W.W. Greener 'Far Killer' there are more unique pieces for wild fowlers looking for classic gun. Working from memory there was something "chamber-less" for thin brass shells from Tolley of England. The name was "Altro" if I recall correctly. Another fine alternative to paying extra thousands for heavy back-bored barrels and 3" chamber.
Posted By: KY Jon Re: Fox on Gunbroker-What am I missing - 04/12/17 02:12 PM
Jagermeister you just don't get it I guess. These buyers are not looking for what we might consider better values. They are hoping to hit a home run with a gun that looks rough but if they get lucky is a well worth it restoration gun.

Deal with the surface rust, clean it up, get it functioning and redo the wood. Rust blue the barrels. Unless they find major hidden problems they will have their dream HE for about half the market price. About five years ago a very high grade Lefever was at auction and everyone saw it as a basket or hopeless case. It cleaned up well and was a very solid, very rare gun. If people had seen the completed redo on the gun it would have brought twice the price.
Posted By: Jagermeister Re: Fox on Gunbroker-What am I missing - 04/12/17 03:26 PM
In English fowler for same or less money one will get better shaped wood, nicer checkering, horn or metal butt plate and nicely file cut flat rib plus excellent handling from heavier 7.5lb+ gun. I do not get it.
Posted By: canvasback Re: Fox on Gunbroker-What am I missing - 04/12/17 03:37 PM
JM, you are either doing this on purpose to troll or you are thick as a brick.

A Fox HE has a storied place in American shotguns. These are Americans bidding on the gun. There is a collectibility factor that overrides other, suitable, less expensive alternatives from across the pond. It's just that simple.

Please remove yourself to a forum more in keeping with your interests. Your posts here add nothing and are frequent enough to suggest you are a tad obsessed with annoying us.
Posted By: ed good Re: Fox on Gunbroker-What am I missing - 04/12/17 03:59 PM
has it been established that this gun is in fact a fox he?
Posted By: Jagermeister Re: Fox on Gunbroker-What am I missing - 04/12/17 04:02 PM
Originally Posted By: canvasback

A Fox HE has a storied place in American shotguns. These are Americans bidding on the gun. There is a collectibility factor that overrides other, suitable, less expensive alternatives from across the pond. It's just that simple.

Please remove yourself to a forum more in keeping with your interests. Your posts here add nothing and are frequent enough to suggest you are a tad obsessed with annoying us.

For substitute I recommend Jeffrey's Zenith Gun 32" barrels & square bolt. Very strong & powerful.
Posted By: ed good Re: Fox on Gunbroker-What am I missing - 04/12/17 04:08 PM
jager: please try to stay on topic...
Posted By: Gr8day Re: Fox on Gunbroker-What am I missing - 04/12/17 04:09 PM
Yes. Look at the flower petal scroll on the top lever.
Posted By: keith Re: Fox on Gunbroker-What am I missing - 04/12/17 04:20 PM

Well Jagermeister, your reply to canvasback tells us what we should already know.

You do not own even one double gun. Since you don't own any double guns, it is obvious that you know nothing about the guns you recommend. But you have this sad and pathetic need to pretend that you are knowledgeable about guns.

You simply regurgitate the crap you read elsewhere, and you also lie to us about the guns you buy and the guns you own. Your stories have changed several times just since the beginning of this year. I also enjoyed catching you in your lies about reloading (or repackaging) shotgun shells in Grex).

Post # 472881 on 2/22/17- Thread :" 16 ga loads not filling the hull?"--
Originally Posted By: Jagermeister
I use plastic particles they use in buffered shot. Not sure where I got it from, but it works pretty well. Depending on manufacturer I think it's called Grex or something similar. It fills up the cup a little and provides wonderful cushioning for the shot above it. Very professional.

Post #475337 on 3/17/17- Thread: "Reloading Herter's 16 Gauge Shells from Cabela's"--
Time = money. I always buy factory loads and never re-load for that reason. In free time I like other activities that involve fresh air like hiking, mountain biking, fishing, hunting,.....

Your excuse for those little inconsistencies was precious:

Mr. "We" I do not reload shot shells. Repackaging is not equal to reloading.

And who could forget how you bashed President Trump all during the election cycle, and then expected us to believe that you voted for Trump, the only pro-2nd Amendment candidate, after he won?

You have an answer for everything... except why a sad, sick, sorry, pathetic internet troll who doesn't even own any double guns feels the need to inhabit a double gun forum, and pretend to be something he isn't.
Posted By: KY Jon Re: Fox on Gunbroker-What am I missing - 04/14/17 12:49 PM
5k and going higher.
Posted By: Doug Mann Re: Fox on Gunbroker-What am I missing - 04/14/17 03:15 PM
Well, I think I'll put my two cents worth in here also. IMHO it is an HE based on the top lever engraving, but until I see a picture of the action flat (is that what we call it these days?) with the serial number and grade stamp and a picture of the front of the action showing the ejector trips the gun is not worth the current bid. That is just my opinion and nothing more.

Doug
Posted By: Jagermeister Re: Fox on Gunbroker-What am I missing - 04/14/17 03:39 PM

Well Jagermeister, your reply to canvasback tells us what we should already know.

You do not own even one double gun. Since you don't own any double guns, it is obvious that you know nothing about the guns you recommend. But you have this sad and pathetic need to pretend that you are knowledgeable about guns.

You simply regurgitate the crap you read elsewhere, and you also lie to us about the guns you buy and the guns you own. Your stories have changed several times just since the beginning of this year. I also enjoyed catching you in your lies about reloading (or repackaging) shotgun shells in Grex).

Post # 472881 on 2/22/17- Thread :" 16 ga loads not filling the hull?"--
I use plastic particles they use in buffered shot. Not sure where I got it from, but it works pretty well. Depending on manufacturer I think it's called Grex or something similar. It fills up the cup a little and provides wonderful cushioning for the shot above it. Very professional.

Post #475337 on 3/17/17- Thread: "Reloading Herter's 16 Gauge Shells from Cabela's"--
Time = money. I always buy factory loads and never re-load for that reason. In free time I like other activities that involve fresh air like hiking, mountain biking, fishing, hunting,.....

Your excuse for those little inconsistencies was precious:

Mr. "We" I do not reload shot shells. Repackaging is not equal to reloading.

And who could forget how you bashed President Trump all during the election cycle, and then expected us to believe that you voted for Trump, the only pro-2nd Amendment candidate, after he won?

You have an answer for everything... except why a sad, sick, sorry, pathetic internet troll who doesn't even own any double guns feels the need to inhabit a double gun forum, and pretend to be something he isn't.

Is there something you would like to contribute to in order to answer question asked by original poster?
Posted By: keith Re: Fox on Gunbroker-What am I missing - 04/14/17 04:00 PM
Jagermeister, are you asking that question of me, or canvasback, or of the others who are beginning to understand that you are a deceptive, lying, tire-kicker who drools on the counter of gun shops and puts inexpensive guns on Layaway that you obviously cannot afford?

You crap on threads with your off-topic recommendations to buy semi-automatics or guns you never owned and know nothing about... and I crap on you. Sound fair enough?

But if you are asking a question of me, before I answer, you must answer the questions which I have asked you numerous times now...

Why do you, Jagermeister, a guy (troll) who does not own even one double gun, spend so much time here on a double gun forum regurgitating crap he read elsewhere, and pretending to be something he isn't? Is it some kind of mental disorder, are you envious of we who actually own doubles, or does it have something to do with your potty training, or are you simply a sad, pathetic, lying loser?
Posted By: Jagermeister Re: Fox on Gunbroker-What am I missing - 04/14/17 04:20 PM
Jagermeister, are you asking that question of me, or canvasback, or of the others who are beginning to understand that you are a deceptive, lying, tire-kicker who drools on the counter of gun shops and puts inexpensive guns on Layaway that you obviously cannot afford?

You crap on threads with your off-topic recommendations to buy semi-automatics or guns you never owned and know nothing about... and I crap on you. Sound fair enough?

But if you are asking a question of me, before I answer, you must answer the questions which I have asked you numerous times now...

Why do you, Jagermeister, a guy (troll) who does not own even one double gun, spend so much time here on a double gun forum regurgitating crap he read elsewhere, and pretending to be something he isn't? Is it some kind of mental disorder, are you envious of we who actually own doubles, or does it have something to do with your potty training, or are you simply a sad, pathetic, lying loser?

I'm sorry you do not have the knowledge necessary to answer question asked by the original poster. cry
Posted By: keith Re: Fox on Gunbroker-What am I missing - 04/14/17 04:26 PM
Actually Jagermeister, I don't know a great deal about Fox shotguns. I only have two of them, and both are 12 ga. Sterlingworths. But just think, if they were the only double shotguns I owned, that would still be two more than you have.

I notice that you haven't answered the question posed by the original post either... just more of your recommendations to buy guns you know nothing about and will never own. So are you going to answer my questions, or are you just going to pathetically go on pretending to be something that you aren't?
Posted By: Jagermeister Re: Fox on Gunbroker-What am I missing - 04/14/17 04:46 PM
Actually Jagermeister, I don't know a great deal about Fox shotguns. I only have two of them, and both are 12 ga. Sterlingworths. But just think, if they were the only double shotguns I owned, that would still be two more than you have.

I notice that you haven't answered the question posed by the original post either... just more of your recommendations to buy guns you know nothing about and will never own. So are you going to answer my questions, or are you just going to pathetically go on pretending to be something that you aren't?

I would take lowly BSA non-ejector over the Sterlingworth, hint. I have bad news for you. I'm going to stay on this forum as long as I want and there is nothing you can do about it.
Posted By: 2-piper Re: Fox on Gunbroker-What am I missing - 04/14/17 05:02 PM
I just checked out the Ignore User function of this board. Guess What! "It Works", I no longer see one bit of the Hogwash Jagermeister posts.
I truly recommend everyone do the same, he can stay here as long as he likes & talk to himself but no-one would see his drivel.
Posted By: DAM16SXS Re: Fox on Gunbroker-What am I missing - 04/14/17 06:17 PM
I just got back home from examining the gun.

It is what it is...

It was difficult to get a chamber length measurement because of Fox's tight and tapered chambers, so I can't comment on the chamber length.

Posted By: tut Re: Fox on Gunbroker-What am I missing - 04/14/17 09:20 PM
Originally Posted By: DAM16SXS
I just got back home from examining the gun.

It is what it is...

It was difficult to get a chamber length measurement because of Fox's tight and tapered chambers, so I can't comment on the chamber length.

Believe there was no notation on the card so it is probably 2 3/4". How nasty is that pitting? Ps. Looks like a damp basement gun to me and I've seen more then a few of those over the years. PS. All numbers match on the gun. It is indeed an HE.
Posted By: eightbore Re: Fox on Gunbroker-What am I missing - 04/15/17 01:04 PM
To answer my friend Doug Mann's query about the grade, there are people who are privy to the "list" of HE serial numbers. Apparently, this serial number is on the "list". In addition, all board members and ex board members of the Fox Collectors Association possess a complete computer file of the Fox order cards for graded guns.
Posted By: Doug Mann Re: Fox on Gunbroker-What am I missing - 04/15/17 01:27 PM
Thank you Bill, I was kind've aware of the list but I did not see an photos of the serial # on the frame. I may have missed it in my advanced age. :-)

As it stands now there isn't a lot of money left for a professional restoration IMHO.
Posted By: eightbore Re: Fox on Gunbroker-What am I missing - 04/15/17 01:32 PM
If I owned this gun, I wouldn't be interested in a professional restoration. It would get restored on my dining room table.
Posted By: SKB Re: Fox on Gunbroker-What am I missing - 04/15/17 01:39 PM
I would not restore it either. Preservation and a gentle touch keeping as much original condition as possible and stopping further oxidation would be my goal.
Posted By: KY Jon Re: Fox on Gunbroker-What am I missing - 04/15/17 02:18 PM
This guns needs stabilization and preservation not restoration. I would clean up the rust, rust blue the barrels and refinish the stock a bit. Beyond that you are just pumping money down a well.
Posted By: SKB Re: Fox on Gunbroker-What am I missing - 04/15/17 03:13 PM
I'm not convinced it needs a rust blue. First step would be to boil those barrels, then remove the black oxides and see what you have. Yes there will be some pitting and blue loss but how much would need to be seen. I would likely just build up the places needing it and not polish out the original blue, just build up where needed and blend out with a few passes covering everything.
Posted By: tut Re: Fox on Gunbroker-What am I missing - 04/15/17 03:35 PM
The current high bidder was the number 2 bidder on a HE Fox that sold Super Bowl Sunday for 14K plus and that one had cut barrels. Apparently he wants an HE real bad. Be interesting what the final gavel shows.
Posted By: KY Jon Re: Fox on Gunbroker-What am I missing - 04/15/17 07:24 PM
SKB you are right. And a working gun is allowed a few scars. I just want to make sure all the rust is neutralized and your suggestion would certainly take care of that. I would not strike the barrels just to remove or hide a little pitting. Work horse guns are beautiful to me with scrapes, dings and wear that attest to their being used for the purpose they were intended. Honest hunting.

Hunting of game in natural habitat, not the shooting of pen raised poultry that is shot over e-collared dogs with little bells hanging of their collars. If you tried to put either an e-collar or a little bell on the Cheasie I grew up with your day would have ended with a few bandages and a lot of metholide on cuts and bites. A HE and a Chessie would make a fine throw back combination.
Posted By: LeFusil Re: Fox on Gunbroker-What am I missing - 04/15/17 08:56 PM
SKB you are right. And a working gun is allowed a few scars. I just want to make sure all the rust is neutralized and your suggestion would certainly take care of that. I would not strike the barrels just to remove or hide a little pitting. Work horse guns are beautiful to me with scrapes, dings and wear that attest to their being used for the purpose they were intended. Honest hunting.

Hunting of game in natural habitat, not the shooting of pen raised poultry that is shot over e-collared dogs with little bells hanging of their collars. If you tried to put either an e-collar or a little bell on the Cheasie I grew up with your day would have ended with a few bandages and a lot of metholide on cuts and bites. A HE and a Chessie would make a fine throw back combination.

Oh good Lord. Living in the past often seems fun doesn't it? Your post was fine and dandy until your pontificating about e-collars, bells and pen raised birds. Gimme a break.
And this tired old regurgitated line about "honest hunting"...WTF does that even mean?? What is dishonest hunting? Poaching I assume. How do you know the scars on a particular gun were gained through either honest or dishonest hunting? It's a garbage term gun dealers use...it means nothing. Some of you guys sound like you've read too many flowery descriptions on the back of a wine bottle.
Posted By: tut Re: Fox on Gunbroker-What am I missing - 04/15/17 09:05 PM
$9575 hammer price.
Posted By: Nudge Re: Fox on Gunbroker-What am I missing - 04/16/17 10:48 AM
Just out of curiosity, for those of us who don't know Fox's as well as others...

What would this same gun, as configured, be worth if it were original, in Excellent / Near Mint condition?

Same question if this same gun were restored by one of the top guys?

- Nudge
Posted By: tut Re: Fox on Gunbroker-What am I missing - 04/16/17 11:20 AM
IMO if it was not covered up in rust based on where the market seems right now you would be looking at 14K or more. That gun has a ton of case coloring under all that surface rust. I think if it was restored by Turnbull or someone with name recognition, it might be work 11K.

Freely admit the market for Super Foxes is so insane its hard to say. I think one of the things that really drove this gun up was the straight grip. I'd heard somewhere they made 20 30" Fox Supers with a straight grip. That's pretty rare I'm thinking.

PS. There was one that sold for about 9K in Pa about a year ago that was a really really nice gun with lots of case color. The Super market is insane right now. Must be on a lot of folks bucket list.
Posted By: DAM16SXS Re: Fox on Gunbroker-What am I missing - 04/17/17 12:13 PM
Prior to being stored in a damp basement in coastal Swampscot Ma. for more than thirty years and rarely used prior to that....
It was in near mint condition - having 99% of its original case color, 98+% of its original barrel blue, almost no wear to the checkering.... but the salty dampness did its damage - which, I might add, is only superficial. That rust will easily come off with a patient rubbing with a Frontier Pad and some solvent. There will be practically no pitting... IMO. And the wood could use a good oiling and some french polish to bring out its beautiful luster.

It was a privilege to handle and examine such a coveted Fox HE.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com