doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: gil russell INLETTING BLACK - 04/14/17 09:47 PM
Inletting black is a fairly basic item; now Brownells and Midway seem to have dropped it from their lineup. I wonder whazzup?
Posted By: Jerry V Lape Re: INLETTING BLACK - 04/14/17 10:17 PM
Doesn't work on black plastic stocks?
Posted By: SKB Re: INLETTING BLACK - 04/14/17 10:48 PM
Try TOW for Jerro's

https://www.trackofthewolf.com/List/Item.aspx/1021/1

or
Boyds for Miles Gilbert

https://www.boydsgunstocks.com/productdetail/a20005_wheeler-inletting-black-1-oz-wapplication-brush
Posted By: gil russell Re: INLETTING BLACK - 04/15/17 01:43 AM
Thank you Steve.
Posted By: Wonko the Sane Re: INLETTING BLACK - 04/15/17 03:01 PM
Years ago I was discussing inletting with marshgurl and he suggested that lipstick was superior in every way. A quick test of that proved him right. Works pretty super for fitting metal as well. Not to mention waaaay cheap. The Revlon Lipglide red stuff that I got at Walgreens is many years old now and still hasn't run out.
Make your life easier -
Posted By: Little Creek Re: INLETTING BLACK - 04/15/17 03:30 PM
Is Prussian Blue still available. I have a bottle that I got many years ago.
Posted By: Little Creek Re: INLETTING BLACK - 04/15/17 05:11 PM
Answered my own question: Permatex® Prussian Blue is available for metal work. It now comes in a tube. My bottle is a liquid. I have used this on metal and on wood. Although it does stain wood.
Posted By: SDH-MT Re: INLETTING BLACK - 04/16/17 04:34 AM
I've been using (Non-Drying) Prussian Blue and a series of used toothbrushes for four decades. A total of about three tubes...and the third is still more than half full.
Posted By: Salopian Re: INLETTING BLACK - 04/16/17 06:24 AM
I have always used rouge that ladies use for face make up.
I have used it for inletting also (ha ha ha)
Posted By: Der Ami Re: INLETTING BLACK - 04/16/17 02:22 PM
I usually mix oil(usually way oil)with the Prussian Blue, it lightens it up, and slows drying. I use either an artists or acid brush ( I really use smoke as much though). It is all messy.
Mike
Posted By: Wonko the Sane Re: INLETTING BLACK - 04/16/17 05:35 PM
Originally Posted By: Der Ami
I usually mix oil(usually way oil)with the Prussian Blue, it lightens it up, and slows drying. I use either an artists or acid brush ( I really use smoke as much though). It is all messy.
Mike

Doesn't have to be messy. Salopian's rouge (((you have to remember that he is English {;-) ))) and the lipstick are not. I suppose that there may be situations where they may not work but I've not encountered them or can think of any.
Posted By: postoak Re: INLETTING BLACK - 04/16/17 11:02 PM
I vote for lipstick.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com