doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Dan S. W. Affordable Case Recommendation - 04/18/17 02:48 AM
Anyone have any thoughts on an affordable take down case for a side by side? The gun is inexpensive so spending multiple hundreds on a case seems ill advised. I have a Negrini for my over under, but it doesn't really accommodate a side by side and seems...just plain off with the modular construction.

Has anyone purchased a Tourbon case off eBay? Yes, Chinese made and probably of dubious quality when compared to better cases. Only one fleeting reference to it in my quick archive search. In any event, perhaps suitable for my purposes?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tourbon-Gun-Case-Shotgun-Cabinet-Box-Safe-Tactical-Storage-Vintage-Carry-32-/252872639286?hash=item3ae0624336:g:0O8AAOSw7ehXShtf
Posted By: Shotgunjones Re: Affordable Case Recommendation - 04/18/17 02:56 AM
Jeff's Outfitters sells a decent case for a reasonable price.

I have one of his, and it's value received.

Kevin's also sells a Brit style 'motor case' and I caught it on sale last fall for $160. It's worth that.

If you want a plastic case, Negrini makes a 'Unicase' that should work for just about anything.
Posted By: Karl Graebner Re: Affordable Case Recommendation - 04/18/17 04:10 AM
Dan,
I have a couple of cases, both O/U and SxS from Jeff's Outfitters and have been very satisfied with them. They have held up nicely over the last couple of years.
Karl
Posted By: Dan S. W. Re: Affordable Case Recommendation - 04/18/17 11:08 AM
I looked up the Jeff's cases and they seem they a good option at the right price point.

Thanks!
Posted By: OH Osthaus Re: Affordable Case Recommendation - 04/18/17 12:22 PM
Jeff's cases are a very good value. I have a couple of them

And he is a very nice guy to deal with
Posted By: Dan S. W. Re: Affordable Case Recommendation - 04/18/17 02:30 PM
Sounds like a consensus. I am glad I asked here before purchasing something off of eBay or Amazon.
Posted By: Replacement Re: Affordable Case Recommendation - 04/18/17 05:29 PM
If you are not in a hurry, Jeff always has one or more cases included in his Black Friday sale at Thanksgiving. Great deals if the timing works for you.
Posted By: LeverHead Re: Affordable Case Recommendation - 04/18/17 07:02 PM
This certainly doesn't appeal to my traditionalist sensibilities, but I'll likely be purchasing the "tactical transport case" Americase makes for my Dickinson Estate, and I'll cut the foam for a custom fit.

It's also sealed and aluminum, so I can desiccate it and install a color-card humidity indicator for a more extended storage solution.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Affordable Case Recommendation - 04/18/17 10:26 PM
Take a look at the Pelican line before you buy. You may still want the Americase but it won't cost you anything to look.

SRH
Posted By: Boats Re: Affordable Case Recommendation - 04/18/17 11:21 PM
Case choice very personal and depends on how you are going to transport. I have quite a few, here is my opinion, take it for what it cost.

Chinese Aluminum. Junk but good enough for the trunk of the car. American Box store plastic. Bit better than the Chinese Aluminum and good thing is they are light weight. Either Car Trunk or used to ship a gun mailed when sold, wrapped in cardboard outside.

My Pelicans used for target rifles have been checked on Airlines dozens of times. One multiple times International with no issues. So heavy I rarely use them unless I need to fly. Overkill for Take down shotguns except You can take the foam out and put half a dozen light fabric cased SxS guns in a Pelican for back of truck carry chained to the Bed.

Best buy protection for the money is a used Americase. They will re-furbish old ones and sell or sometimes give you replacement locks and handles. Fellow at our gun club was throwing out a two long gun Americase most of the hardware was broken or bent. Full of Airline stickers. Said he took it to Africa dozen times. I replaced locks handles and feet cleaned up the outside and it's a safe carrier if not pretty.

SxS case I use the most is Americase two gun take down, 36 inches built for Auto's, bought used and re-configured by Americase for two SxS's, Holds 32 inch 10 G Hammer guns & looks like new.

Boats
Posted By: Nudge Re: Affordable Case Recommendation - 04/19/17 12:48 PM
Dan SW,

If its a true "travel" case - like airline baggage employee proof - than something by Pelican and the like is probably your best bet.

But if all tou want it a secure case to go to and from the club or shows, I think the the "blue" case from CSMC will fit the bill at $175. You can get it covered with synth leather for another $100, I think.

But the basic blue case from Tony G. is a good value, because so many of the other brand takedown cases arent meant to accomodate sxs's.

- Nudge
Posted By: LeverHead Re: Affordable Case Recommendation - 04/19/17 01:29 PM
I'll throw this in for your consideration...

Pelican cases use open cell foam, and Americase uses closed cell, which not absorb moisture and rust your guns.

Americase will also let you choose compression foam or 3-piece foam that you can cut to fit for your gun. I'm not sure how much of an upcharge it is, but you can also send them a tracing of your gun and they'll waterjet the foam for you before they ship your case.

American made aluminum cases that start at around $170 kinda makes Pelican cases a tough sell for me.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Affordable Case Recommendation - 04/19/17 01:53 PM
I won my Pelican at a S x S shoot, or I'd probably never have gotten one. They are expensive, but extremely tough. I think there used to be a YouTube video showing one being thrown out of an airplane with guns inside, and supposedly no damage to the guns.

FWIW, I've never had any moisture issues with the foam in mine.

Best, SRH
Posted By: Karl Graebner Re: Affordable Case Recommendation - 04/19/17 02:48 PM
Is it best to put the gun and barrel in a protective sleeve such as a silicone one before putting the gun in the case? I've avoided any kind of foam case for fear of rust. Good to know about the closed cell variety.
Karl
Posted By: Nudge Re: Affordable Case Recommendation - 04/19/17 03:04 PM
Interesting comment about open cell foam vs closed cell, re water. Never knew that.

- Nudge
Posted By: LeverHead Re: Affordable Case Recommendation - 04/19/17 03:24 PM
I have the unique perspective of working in the container industry. I actually work as a designer for one of Americase's competitors (on the industrial side, not the gun case side, I can't convince our sales department to make gun cases and give me one).

If you live in a dry climate or don't let your guns sit in the case for long, open cell will be okay. From my perspective, though, if you're selling a gun case, it should be closed cell foam since corrosion is almost always a concern.

I'll point out that some of Americase's cases do have open cell foam. Best to call to make sure, and avoid egg crate.
Posted By: Nudge Re: Affordable Case Recommendation - 04/19/17 03:39 PM
LeverHead,

Thanks for sharing that!

- Nudge
Posted By: Dan S. W. Re: Affordable Case Recommendation - 04/19/17 04:11 PM
I had thought travel cases and storage cases were mutually exclusive propositions based on the foam/moisture concerns previously expressed. It is good to know the closed cell type does not have that issue.

My main concern was purely storage, but now I see there are some options that could conceivably perform both functions. I may to think on this one some more.
Posted By: Karl Graebner Re: Affordable Case Recommendation - 04/19/17 04:46 PM
My guns are stored in my safe and put in the gun cases to go to the range or hunting trips. Before getting the safe, the guns were actually stored in Browning cases that had a fleece type lining with no ill effect. Perhaps I was just lucky?
Karl
Posted By: LeverHead Re: Affordable Case Recommendation - 04/19/17 04:50 PM
Dan,

I’ve given the idea of storage cases a lot of thought, and like I said, I’ve tried to talk my employer into manufacturing cases for long term storage.

I tossed the idea around of a sealed feed-through for an electrical plug and a small golden rod dehumidifier inside the case. That way you can plug the case into the wall for the long-term, and just unplug the feed-through and walk away with the case when you’re ready to use it. Ultimately, I decided against doing that because I want to keep case’s cost down (I only just paid $1,400 for the new Dickinson that’s going into it), and the use of this case will be in an RV/travel trailer where electrical plugs and the hookups to power them will be at a premium.

So I settled on the Americase VS series. I spoke with a very helpful rep that confirmed the foam type (they should always disclose this) and that I could get the case I wanted with the sandwiched foam that I can “French-Fit” myself. I’ll cut a square for a rechargeable desiccant pack of some sort (still trying to decide what type), and I’ll cut channels in the foam to allow the gun’s area to flow to the desiccated volume.

Also, my company had some humidity indicator viewports from AGM container controls that were purchased for a cancelled program. I was able to get one off of the storeroom manager, and all it will take is a 1” hole drilled into the case. Then, I’ll be able to monitor the humidity inside case the via a self resetting color-changing card without even having to open it up. I’m not sure how much these sell for, but my cost was just a trip to the warehouse.

The whole setup should cost me $200-$250.

Sorry for the long post, I've learned so much from lurking on this forum, I guess I'm excited for a discussion to fall into my wheelhouse.
Posted By: Shotgunjones Re: Affordable Case Recommendation - 04/19/17 04:51 PM
Guns should not be 'stored' in cases of any type.

They like open air, and dry air.

A safe is usually best, and consider a 'Golden Rod' type dehumidifier.

Transport cases are just that, and a lot of damage is caused by long term storage in a case.
Posted By: Karl Graebner Re: Affordable Case Recommendation - 04/19/17 04:59 PM
LeverHead,
I'm glad for your post. It's the specific "wheelhouses" that come in handy and provide a great deal of help and information.
Karl
Posted By: LeverHead Re: Affordable Case Recommendation - 04/19/17 05:07 PM
Originally Posted By: Shotgunjones
Guns should not be 'stored' in cases of any type.

They like open air, and dry air.

A safe is usually best, and consider a 'Golden Rod' type dehumidifier.

Transport cases are just that, and a lot of damage is caused by long term storage in a case.

You're very right, the best case scenario is a large, dehumidified vault with plenty of dry air circulation. For my specific purposes, though, I have to look for other options. Campers already have humidity problems, so even if I built a vault into it, I'd be dealing with some moisture.
Posted By: Shotgunjones Re: Affordable Case Recommendation - 04/19/17 05:30 PM
I was typing that last post in as you were describing your dehumidified case.

That's a great idea for your specific application.
Posted By: LeverHead Re: Affordable Case Recommendation - 04/19/17 07:11 PM
Ah yes, then we're in agreement!
Posted By: Dan S. W. Re: Affordable Case Recommendation - 04/20/17 11:17 AM
As a condo dweller, I don't think a long gun safe is a viable option. I used to keep them stored in the closet upright, but I was definitely losing barrel finish to the sheetrock and was concerned about them falling down (I realize barrel down is preferred as well). Since I only have a couple at any given time, individual cases seemed like they provided a better storage option. I thought felt cases were suitable for semi-long term storage, but apparently that is not the case. I have also considered some sort of wall rack just to get them out of the way.
Posted By: Eric 375 Re: Affordable Case Recommendation - 04/20/17 12:17 PM
Dan, why would a gun safe not be an option? If your Condo rules permit firearms, why not a gun safe? I have moved my large safe every where I've lived with no problems.
Posted By: Dan S. W. Re: Affordable Case Recommendation - 04/20/17 12:40 PM
Eric, basically, we are in the city and short on space. I could get one, but the closets are full enough as it is. Plus, the lady would most likely have a conniption unless West Elm or Restoration Hardware is making gun safes these days.
Posted By: LeverHead Re: Affordable Case Recommendation - 04/20/17 12:50 PM
Dan,
Have you considered an under-bed safe?

Depending on how wide your closet door is, you might even be able to bolt it down on the floor in your closet.

I understand the space constraints, and a case could pull double duty, but a sliding drawer style safe would offer you slightly more security, or at least it wouldn't give a thief a convenient carry-handle.
Posted By: Eric 375 Re: Affordable Case Recommendation - 04/20/17 02:07 PM
If you have a guest bedroom in the condo you could get a small safe for that room. You only have a few on hand and I really think you could talk her into a central storage unit rather than have them loose and under her feet. Even if you do not bolt it to the floor or wall it does make it harder for the run in grab and run out to the waiting transport. The smaller safes still require two guy's to move and are a deterient to theft.
Posted By: Replacement Re: Affordable Case Recommendation - 04/20/17 05:28 PM
Tell her it's for the jewelry you are buying her.
Posted By: Dan S. W. Re: Affordable Case Recommendation - 04/20/17 07:55 PM
Um, the guest bedroom is her closet and I am barred from there. I claimed dominion over the garage though.

Jewelry is also a sensitive subject at this juncture eek
Posted By: LeverHead Re: Affordable Case Recommendation - 04/20/17 08:20 PM
There are a lot of guys that put their safes in their garage. I'd feel a little funny doing that in Georgian climates, but a proper safe with a dehumidifier is always going to be your best solution. Just another option to consider!
Posted By: Karl Graebner Re: Affordable Case Recommendation - 04/20/17 08:21 PM
For what it's worth, the IRS will allow you to deduct the cost of the safe on your taxes if you store things that would normally be kept in a safe deposit box at your bank. It's a one time deduction, and it worked for me.
Karl
Posted By: Bob Blair Re: Affordable Case Recommendation - 04/21/17 08:58 PM
If you are a condo dweller and are worried about moving your gun safe or want one that you can easily put on the 2d or 3d floor of your house, you might want to check out Snapsafe https://www.snapsafe.com Friend of mine has one on his third floor of his home and loves it. Says it has a better fire rating than most other regular safes.
Posted By: Karl Graebner Re: Affordable Case Recommendation - 04/21/17 11:12 PM
Bob,
Those Snap Safes look great, especially when your wife insists on recarpeting the room. A lot easier to relocate. Thanks for thr link.
Karl
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com