doublegunshop.com - home
A friend bought this gun at an auction and the only name on barrels is G. M. Standhardinger in Degersheim.
it is a very nicely made gun. There are no markings any other place, including inside of locks, bottom of barrels and receiver's water table.
Here are some pictures.

It is a 16 gauge, barrels are 33 3/8" right bore is .666, choke constriction .005, left bore is .662, constriction .004. Chamber length 2 1/4". Weight is 6 lbs. 14.2 ozs.
Barrel release and back end of trigger guard look to be made of horn. The engraving is very nice, screws are all engraved. Butt plate is metal and has widows peak

The only thing I came up with is Degersheim is in Switzerland.
Very cool gun! Name on the barrels is probably a merchant. There's very likely to be a maker's mark on it somewhere, but I see you've taken it apart so your should have found something in there somewhere...Geo
the inletting shows great skill and care

no proof marks at all?

maybe someone on the German guns collectors assn board would recognize the work
There is another Degersheim (Heideheim since 1972) in Bavaria, Germany; Standhardinger is a known name there.

With kind regards,
Jani
"no proof marks at all?"

German proof marks originated in 1891; this gun is from circa 1880 (IMHO).

With kind regards,
Jani
There is no markings that I can find anywhere. I might have to use my jewelers eye loop to see if there is anything in the engraving.
It is missing the piece of metal that slides in the for-end to release the barrels. The for-arm does not come off the receiver but is attached to the receiver and hangs down at an angle to remove the barrels.

The bottom picture showing the lock, on the left side a piece of metal that is bent at a right angle that fits into the wood inletting and locks it in, you have to slide the back end in while holding the trigger forward, then slip the front end into the cut-out in the receiver to lock it in. Pretty amazing detail.
I think Jani is correct, I also believe it is from Germany. Only because of the game scenes, pheasants and Hungarian partridge. I don't think Switzerland was known for pheasants, but I could be wrong. The trigger guard shows an auerhahn, but they are common to both countries. There is also a fox on the left lock and a most likely a German longhair pointer on the right lock.

Yeah, I think German also. The tubeset knitter's intials(MA??) are on the underside of the left tube near the lower rib & there also looks to be an initial or 2 on the lower rib just ahead of the flats.

Cheers,

Raimey
rse
Thanks Raimey, I will go again and this time take that jewelers loop. I will post back tomorrow hopefully with more information.
I would venture German origin as well. Nice Bavarian stock! Concur with Jani as Degersheim is located in the heart of Bavaria.
Yeah, a François Eugène Schneider(1861) platform, which Daw purchased the rights & brought if forward as a central-fire. I'd guess François Eugène Schneider's advancement was based on Lefaucheux's design?

I cannot seem to ferret out any ID on the firearms merchant but I'd hazard a guess his name might Büchsenmacher Gottlieb Mathias Standhardinger. Might need to consult Der Neue Stockel?

Cheers,

Raimey
rse
Thanks to all for your help. I could not find anything except a town in Switzerland and later Bavaria Germany. It is a neat gun.
David:

Do you ever make any headway on those initials?

Cheers,

Raimey
rse
Raimey, I did not. I will check on them and report later on anything I can get a better picture of.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com