doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Bushmaster Uncle Mike's Shotgun Case for SXS - 05/10/17 12:41 AM
Uncle Mike's O/U case

Good enough to carry SXS in trunk of car or a piece of junk

Posted By: RARiddell Re: Uncle Mike's Shotgun Case for SXS - 05/10/17 12:45 AM
I had one and the fabric ripped on the inside pocket at the Velcro.
Posted By: old colonel Re: Uncle Mike's Shotgun Case for SXS - 05/10/17 01:01 AM
No experience with uncle mikes

Good experience with Boyt Products and the now defunct Gunn Leather Company
Posted By: Replacement Re: Uncle Mike's Shotgun Case for SXS - 05/10/17 02:00 AM
I have one of those Uncle Mike's cases that I bought maybe 15 years ago. It was fine for the price, but I have not seen the current product. The old Uncle Mike's stuff was always very serviceable and a good value. Not fancy, but solid.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Uncle Mike's Shotgun Case for SXS - 05/10/17 10:48 AM
I bought a Browning much like that many years ago for a BSS. Waxed cotton finish and well made. Lined with corduroy, AIR. Has held up well, and ages well.

No idea who made it for them, maybe Boyt?

SRH
Posted By: Replacement Re: Uncle Mike's Shotgun Case for SXS - 05/10/17 01:43 PM
SKB had a similar case that was nicer than the Boyt or the others I have seen. A bit more expensive, though, and probably discontinued, but also was available with a sleeve for a second set of barrels.
Posted By: 67galaxie Re: Uncle Mike's Shotgun Case for SXS - 05/11/17 04:16 AM
Midway USA has a good one
Posted By: Boats Re: Uncle Mike's Shotgun Case for SXS - 05/11/17 11:52 AM
Friend of mine gave me two like it, he was frustrated with the zippers. I never use them, because of the cheap balky zippers.

Buy a Boyts money well spent

Boats
Posted By: keith Re: Uncle Mike's Shotgun Case for SXS - 05/11/17 01:57 PM
Originally Posted By: old colonel
No experience with uncle mikes

Good experience with Boyt Products and the now defunct Gunn Leather Company

The question in the original post was clearly asking about an Uncle Mike's gun case. He even gave you a picture Gladys.

Why do you persist in these Thread Diversions? Do you really expect the man to buy a case from a company that is no longer in business?

I have one of these cases, and it does the job asked of it in the original post.
Posted By: Shotgunjones Re: Uncle Mike's Shotgun Case for SXS - 05/11/17 02:18 PM
My thought is that if I'm using a soft case vs. a hard case for trunk transport or in the back of long cab pickup, I'm not going to the effort to disassemble the gun twice for each trip.

I simply use a full length non-takedown case.

That wasn't the question, I know, but do consider it.

The recommendations to buy quality goods are also sound. I have a Boyt case that is 30 years old and no gun that has been in it has ever suffered any damage.
Posted By: Vol423 Re: Uncle Mike's Shotgun Case for SXS - 05/13/17 12:28 AM
I have one but never use it. It was used to pack up a gun that I bought. I always worry about zippers scratching a gun. Some years ago I bought some long cheap but well made cases made from high end auto upholstery fabric. They fold over the butt and tie. I transport my gun in a hard case to the field, then use the upholstery case in the car between fields or at lunch,etc.. I haven't had any zipper scratches.
Posted By: Bushmaster Re: Uncle Mike's Shotgun Case for SXS - 05/17/17 03:10 AM
Originally Posted By: Boats
Friend of mine gave me two like it, he was frustrated with the zippers. I never use them, because of the cheap balky zippers.

Buy a Boyts money well spent

Boats

Went to Amazon Prime, a service that we already have
The Boyt was $83.99 with free shipping for the medium tan case and $40.00 off if I signed up for the credit card, which I did.

Total cost $43.99 plus sales tax.

Thank you for above advice

Posted By: tudurgs Re: Uncle Mike's Shotgun Case for SXS - 05/17/17 11:09 AM
I have one of those cases. It's my go-to case when going to the range
Posted By: Shotgunjones Re: Uncle Mike's Shotgun Case for SXS - 05/17/17 04:00 PM
Another sale Gander Mountain didn't get.

You'll like the Boyt.
Posted By: Joe Wood Re: Uncle Mike's Shotgun Case for SXS - 05/17/17 06:22 PM
Nice thing about cases made by Boyt or JW Hulme cases is if a zipper or whatever fails they will replace it free except for shipping to them. And I don't think that warranty ever expires. Have two Hulme cases that the early zippers failed and they replaced both and were fast and polite. As with most things you get what you pay for.
Posted By: Bushmaster Re: Uncle Mike's Shotgun Case for SXS - 05/18/17 01:55 PM
Originally Posted By: Joe Wood
Nice thing about cases made by Boyt or JW Hulme cases is if a zipper or whatever fails they will replace it free except for shipping to them. And I don't think that warranty ever expires. Have two Hulme cases that the early zippers failed and they replaced both and were fast and polite. As with most things you get what you pay for.

Just like a Coach purse!
Posted By: Karl Graebner Re: Uncle Mike's Shotgun Case for SXS - 05/18/17 02:38 PM
Yea, just ask my wife!
"How many guns do you need?" My answer, "how many Coach purses do you need?".
Karl
Posted By: Bushmaster Re: Uncle Mike's Shotgun Case for SXS - 05/18/17 04:56 PM
The difference between coach guns and Coach purses

Nobody sleeps on the couch for asking: "How many coach guns do you need?"
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com