doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: WBLDon A little help with a Remington 3200 - 06/03/17 10:04 PM
Well one of these followed me home the other day and now I am totally perplexed and thought I would turn here for some possible answers.

I know there were updates (a recall)that are recommended on older guns with ser#'s prior to 30,000 (after which the factory automatically applied the updates). Here in lies my dilemma.... I have reviewed everything I can find on the net and I am still confused. Let me explain...

My gun has ser# OU 27xxx without the dot between the OU and 27XXX so it would appear it needs the updates BUT
It has the wreath around the roll stamp of the dog so it appears the updates were done at the factory. BUT
It is a two pin frame which indicates it needs the updates. BUT
It has a support at the rear of the upper and lower tang indicating it was updated. BUT
It doesn't have screws at the bottom of the recoil shield.
And finally there is a plate epoxied where the stock bolt goes into the action to strengthen (?) this area.

The gun is the skeet model with 25 1/2" barrels marked Skeet and Skeet but there is NO barrel code on the left side of either barrel, yet all markings are crisp and clean indicating it hasn't been refinished. It does have the R.E.P in an oval on both barrels (a proof mark I believe) also on the right side of the lower barrel it has 98 W PY (the PY may be the date code but that would make it 1974 adding more confusion as I don't think they were doing factory updates then and the roll stamped dog has a wreath around it).

On the bottom flat of the barrels is the Letter T a 3 and then a P with a Y away from the other 3 characters.

I am trying to get an idea if it needs the updates or not. As far as the forend issue I have disabled the ejectors (like extractors better) so I shouldn't have an issue with the forend cracking, hopefully. The gun is tight as a tick and has a few handling marks but fewer than you would expect, the bluing is in the 98 to 99% range and bores are mirrors. It has been used but not much and it has been babied......

Any help with the year of mfg. would be nice as well.....

Thanks much...
WBLDon
Posted By: eightbore Re: A little help with a Remington 3200 - 06/03/17 10:38 PM
If it doesn't have the hex nuts at the lower corners of the breech face, it hasn't been updated. The real information is available all over the internet. The update is so expensive now that you should forget about it.
Posted By: tudurgs Re: A little help with a Remington 3200 - 06/04/17 03:09 AM
Suggest you call Pat Laib in Minnesota. He's the the man for 3200's
Posted By: WBLDon Re: A little help with a Remington 3200 - 06/04/17 03:15 AM
Thanks I will give him a call. WBLDon
Posted By: KY Jon Re: A little help with a Remington 3200 - 06/04/17 01:15 PM
I have a dozen 3200 and am not that worried about shooting one without the updates. The gun has functioned for 40 years as is. I would just shoot it as is and be done with it. I shot one without updates for well over 100k with zero problems. It did develope a small crack in the stock behind the tang but it never became greater than half an inch. Very solid guns. I'd rather shoot one like your than any gun with a release trigger.

I've never met a person first hand who had trigger problems with their 3200 but I am sure there could have been. 3200 are skeet guns which are only loaded when on the peg, pointed in a safe direction and quickly shot. If a problem happens just hold in a safe direction and open it up. If it were a field gun, carried loaded for hours a trigger problem might bother me more but it isn't. Save a grand on the updates unless you are going to shoot it enough to justify the expense.
Posted By: tudurgs Re: A little help with a Remington 3200 - 06/04/17 02:33 PM
My Dad was a Remington Director in the 3200 era. The Board was told that the reason for the recall/rework was to provide insurance against cowboys who snap-closed the gun. Don't know if that was the truth, but....

BTW, I really like my 3200's. A lot of gun for the money
Posted By: LeFusil Re: A little help with a Remington 3200 - 06/04/17 02:42 PM
I used a non-updated 32 hundy for about 5 years as my main duck gun...It was lights out and I should've never sold it. I now have an updated model that I also use as a duck gun, it too is lights out. I like the heft and robustness of these guns, always have. The safety-barrel selector is the best thing ever.
Posted By: GLS Re: A little help with a Remington 3200 - 06/05/17 03:36 PM
Laib looked at my gun and did the upgrades he thought necessary which didn't include the Full Monty.
Posted By: WBLDon Re: A little help with a Remington 3200 - 06/05/17 08:41 PM
Thanks for the input folks. Gonna shoot it and see how it goes... WBLDon
Posted By: eightbore Re: A little help with a Remington 3200 - 06/05/17 10:08 PM
Yup, only do what Pat Laib recommends and no more. The full restoration and update is way too expensive.
Posted By: Claybird Re: A little help with a Remington 3200 - 06/26/17 04:21 PM
I had a skeet grade 3200 for years and used it in competition - many thousands of rounds through it.

I sent the gun back to Remington for the recall work. My recollection is that Rem indicated the recall work had been done by two indentions being punched on the standing breech face.At the same time I had the cracked foreend replaced (with a field foreand). Because of the forehand cracking issue I removed the ejector strikers; actually I prefer non-ejectors, esp. in a completion gin.

Ultimately, I replaced the 3200 with a real 32.
Posted By: GLS Re: A little help with a Remington 3200 - 06/26/17 05:27 PM
Originally Posted By: eightbore
Yup, only do what Pat Laib recommends and no more. The full restoration and update is way too expensive.

FWIW, wy opinion of Pat Laib has been solidly on the good side when he told me it didn't need all of the mods. He had the gun and the parts; I had the checkbook and was at his mercy. wink Gil
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com