doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Lloyd3 Longest day. - 06/20/17 09:53 PM
The heat of Summer seems to have arrived here. The thought of going out to shoot or even run the dog in 90-plus degree heat isn't very attractive. Might slip out later for a bit of evening fishing, but nothing appeals at the moment. The good news, of course, is that once the Summer Solstice has been reached (tomorrow!) we start the long march of shortening days into the Fall Solstice. Hang-in there folks!
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Longest day. - 06/20/17 10:55 PM
Amen, brother. The days will continually shorten until one late afternoon in August I will notice, as the sun gets low towards the western horizon, that the late afternoon light is different, and has a warmth and glow that was not present previously during the summer months. I began to notice this phenomenon decades ago, and would mention it to my wife when I would first see it. Over the years she has learned to see the change, too. I look forward to it with eagerness, for it portends the opening day of dove season not many sunrises from then.

God is so good, and infinitely wise as The Creator, that He would give us these changes of season to anticipate, and enjoy. Thanks for posting this Lloyd. Because of the loss of my Lab, Cady, this evening, I needed to be reminded of one of the reasons for hope and anticipation.

SRH
Posted By: David Williamson Re: Longest day. - 06/20/17 11:32 PM
Stan, sorry to hear of your loss.
Posted By: GLS Re: Longest day. - 06/20/17 11:39 PM
Stan, this is awful news. Gil
Posted By: bbman3 Re: Longest day. - 06/20/17 11:48 PM
Stan sorry about your Lab. Bobby
Posted By: moses Re: Longest day. - 06/20/17 11:50 PM
We are in the morning of the shortest day. From now on it gets colder & down to frost.
It always amazes me that as the days slowly become longer that the temperature gets colder.
That soon changes though & we fry again for the majority of the year.
Brother Stan, I pray lest you forget & that your heart lightens & you can love another.
O.M
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Longest day. - 06/21/17 12:36 AM
Thanks, friends. I let her out of the kennel and heard a tractor trailer slam on brakes awhile later. I knew without looking what had happened, but when I walked out to the road I found out why. Two wandering dogs that belong to an employee were across the road and Cady saw them, and ran towards them. It was over in an instant, and she did not suffer. But, it was very ugly, and I can't get the image out of my mind right now.

I'm done with retrievers. It is not meant for me to own them. I can enjoy other's, I can appreciate them, but I cannot own them. My last three Labs have met untimely deaths at a very young age. Never again. We have a little house dog that I can care for and protect. But, I will just have to retrieve my own doves and ducks until I cannot no longer shoot. It is a strange thing that I live so far out in the sticks that they have to pipe in sunshine, but I have dogs killed in the road much more than someone who lives in town. Big trucks just can't avoid a dog that runs out in front of them when they're running 55 mph. The driver of the big rig made a huge effort to turn the rig around a mile or so down the road and come back to see me, and tell me how sorry he was. I appreciated that so much, he is a good man. Most would have kept going and cursed the stupid dog for running out in front of him.

She retrieved these doves on the last day of the season, January past. Her last limit.

SRH
Posted By: Joe Wood Re: Longest day. - 06/21/17 01:26 AM
Stan, as I sit here and watch my beloved cocker spaniel, Hanna, I can't imagine the sense of loss you feel this evening. May our Lord wrap His arms around you with comfort.
Posted By: King Brown Re: Longest day. - 06/21/17 01:26 AM
Sorry to read this, Stan, for you and Cady.
Posted By: John Roberts Re: Longest day. - 06/21/17 01:32 AM
Tears, brother. Tears...
JR
Posted By: Alvin Linden Re: Longest day. - 06/21/17 01:38 AM
Stan: I know words are a weak salve for your grief. I believe people are wounded more by their Dog's leaving them than another human, because Dog's have never hurt us and therefore are perfect in our eyes. I can relate to that terrible sight but may I suggest that when you begin to think of it, quickly recall a day that was perfect with her. I know you won't have a shortage of them to remember. This is the inscription that is on the marble headstone of the dog that was truly the love of my Dad's life. It was the only time I saw him cry with uncontrollable grief.

Warm summer sun,
shine brightly here,
Warm Southern wind,
blow softly here,
Green sod above,
lie light, lie light,
Good night, dear heart;
good night, good night.

Our Sincerest Condolences and Prayers

Hallye and Jerry

p.s. If our dogs are not waiting for us some day, then I want to go where they are.
Posted By: John Roberts Re: Longest day. - 06/21/17 01:42 AM
http://lgd.org/library/kipling.htm
JR
Posted By: pooch Re: Longest day. - 06/21/17 01:52 AM
It's hard when a dog dies of old age. It's bitter hard when they die before their time. It's a hard thing you're having to bear. I wish I knew something to say that would help.
Posted By: Tom Bryant Re: Longest day. - 06/21/17 03:20 AM
I'm so sad to hear of your loss, Stan. I know the pain all too well.
Posted By: canvasback Re: Longest day. - 06/21/17 03:30 AM
Stan, you and Cady are in my thoughts tonight. I'm so, so sorry for your loss.

It's heartbreaking.
Posted By: KY Jon Re: Longest day. - 06/21/17 12:48 PM
Stan so very sorry for your loss. While not children a pup becomes one like a child in our heart as we watch them grow and enjoy the world around them. Again sorry for your loss.
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: Longest day. - 06/21/17 04:15 PM
Bad luck Stan. I'm always touched when a friend loses a dog. Same when I lose one.

You'll get another retriever. Hope springs eternal...Geo
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Longest day. - 06/21/17 08:15 PM
I think I'd rather see if I can talk the kids into another grandchild. They make fine bird shaggers ...... until they get old enough to start shooting for their self.

SRH
Posted By: John Roberts Re: Longest day. - 06/21/17 09:57 PM
I agree with that, Stan.
JR
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Longest day. - 06/21/17 10:15 PM
There's only been two girls born into our Hillis line in the last 70 years. All my grandkids are knotheaded boys. Queen and I would not complain for a second if it were to be a sweet little baby girl.

SRH
Posted By: KY Jon Re: Longest day. - 06/21/17 11:26 PM
My oldest daughter was the first female born on my fathers side in 52 years. Over two dozen male cousins. You could not comprehend how much pent up pink there was on the female side of that side of my family. My wife was overwhelmed with pink clothes of any description. When my second daughter came along she stepped into a room full of almost unworn clothes and ladies just thrilled to have another little girl to spoil. Hopes for a third daughter were not realized as the next two were boys. Placing an order is one thing getting what you ordered is another.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Longest day. - 06/21/17 11:34 PM
Originally Posted By: KY Jon
Placing an order is one thing getting what you ordered is another.

Amen, but the law of averages is on our side this time. smile

SRH
Posted By: Lloyd3 Re: Longest day. - 06/22/17 01:01 AM
Stan:

Just got back to this. So sorry to hear about your dog. I simply don't have words for this right now.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Longest day. - 06/22/17 01:20 AM
Lloyd,

Thank you, and I apologize for this incident hijacking your thread. Thanks to all who have expressed their sympathy and concern.

I buried Cady this morning, early, then got busy with the concerns of the day on the farm. But, as my wife put it, things just seem "hollow". Cady's kennel is in view from our kitchen window and my farm shop. We both looked at it many times today, only to remember it was empty.

Life goes on, hurts heal. God is good. All the time.

SRH
Posted By: eightbore Re: Longest day. - 06/22/17 01:51 PM
No girls in my immediate family since 1852, maybe earlier. In the 70's, I married a family with four girls and had a few years of pleasure, not from my wife, but from the girls. They were problem free, got well educated, and it was a sad day when they left, one at a time. Stan, I don't know what to say, except that my 11 year old Wirehair will make me a sad man when she goes. Your friend, Murphy
Posted By: Lloyd3 Re: Longest day. - 06/22/17 04:10 PM
When a dog goes it leaves such a big hole in our lives. Mourn as you need to and then get on with it with yet another sweet, loving, furry friend. And, since we hunt, it needs to be a companion that goes afield with us. It is the only solution that works.
Posted By: keith Re: Longest day. - 06/22/17 07:02 PM
Sorry to hear about the tragic loss of your dog Stan. I seem to recall Amarillo Mike saying something to the effect that he wished his dogs lasted 100 years, and his shotguns lasted 10 or 12. He may have had something there. You can always replace a shotgun, but there will never be another Cady.
Posted By: Dave in Maine Re: Longest day. - 06/22/17 10:29 PM
I'm so saddened by your loss, Stan. More words, I lack. Just awful.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Longest day. - 06/22/17 10:48 PM
I am humbled by the outpouring of sympathy. Y'all are fine folks.

Puppies are liars. The first time they look at you their eyes say "Take me and I will be loyal to you forever. I will always be there for you. I will do my best to please you, and when you misunderstand my motives and chasten and scold me I won't understand, but it's alright anyway. I will never leave your side."

But, they do. They die and leave you. They run out in front of trucks. They do not understand that they are not immortal, and that their lifespan is not equal to ours. Their devotion is so full that they give everything that they have to please you.

I have some of the best friends that any man alive could ever be blessed with. But, I have never had a friend as true as Fowler, Gunner and Cady.

SRH
Posted By: volleyfire Re: Longest day. - 06/25/17 06:58 PM
It will only be remembered
that friends are joined together.
There is no footprint of their sorrow.
No mark upon the earth
that they were not always happy things.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com