doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Chukarman Henry Atkin lightweight spring opener - 07/07/17 09:08 AM
Looks like I am buying a Henry Atkin 12 gauge spring opener. original 27" chopper lump barrels and weighing 6 lbs. 3oz. and cast for a left hander (which I am) Serial number 30XX. Anyone have Masters' book to look up date of manufacture for me?

Many thanks.
Posted By: GLS Re: Henry Atkin lightweight spring opener - 07/07/17 10:16 AM
Contact Atkin, Grant and Lang for the info:
http://www.agl-uk.com/
My Atkin, a boxlock, bears serial # 32xx and was made in early 1938 which should give you and idea of mfg. date. Gil
PS Don't know current policy, but when I got info on my gun, the email was gratis, but a letter would have cost me.
From the Don Masters A,G&L book for Henry Atkin & Henry Atkin LTD:
1930 2971
1933 3055
1947 3510
Posted By: Owenjj3 Re: Henry Atkin lightweight spring opener - 07/07/17 01:22 PM
I am on the lookout for one of those Atkin spring openers. Let us know your impressions of how it handles, opens, and shoots. I would be very interested in your viewpoint after hunting with it as well.
Posted By: PALUNC Re: Henry Atkin lightweight spring opener - 07/07/17 03:05 PM
I have one in 12 bore , 2663. Love it
Posted By: Chukarman Re: Henry Atkin lightweight spring opener - 07/07/17 04:39 PM
Thank you!

The gun has original 27" barrels, is in proof, and weighs 6 lbs. 3 oz. A classic British game gun. I owned a Dickson that I liked but expect that this will at least be equal to that gun.

I did contact Atkin, Grant & Lang. Here is the data they provided:

12 bore top lever bar ejector ‘from Purdey’

Number 1 gun of a pair made for J.C. Ackerman Clark and delivered 28/07/1933

It is recorded as having Vickers ‘Best’ light weight steel barrels and a J.Rogers patented cocking system.

I hope this information is of some use to you.

They were very helpful.
Posted By: PALUNC Re: Henry Atkin lightweight spring opener - 07/07/17 05:17 PM
umm, I too am looking for a Dickson.
Huh? If this is the case, I don't think it's a spring opener:

"It is recorded as having ... a J. Rogers patented cocking system."

Spring openers are built on Beesley actions.

Rogers actions are standard sidelocks. Lots of folks built SxSs on that patent.

http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=329924

Here's a real one and some info:

http://www.dogsanddoubles.com/2012/09/the-purdey-side-by-side-perfected/

OWD
Posted By: Chukarman Re: Henry Atkin lightweight spring opener - 07/07/17 08:25 PM
Originally Posted By: obsessed-with-doubles
Huh? If this is the case, I don't think it's a spring opener:

"It is recorded as having ... a J. Rogers patented cocking system."

Spring openers are built on Beesley actions.

Rogers actions are standard sidelocks. Lots of folks built SxSs on that patent.

http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=329924

Here's a real one and some info:

http://www.dogsanddoubles.com/2012/09/the-purdey-side-by-side-perfected/

OWD

You may be right, I have not inspected the gun as yet. However, the dealer described it as a spring opener with cocking on closure, the 1909 improved ejector system, and described it right down to the cocking plungers in the action body. I was puzzled at the "Rogers" description from AGL and do not know the source of the misfire on action type.

This dealer is in the UK. I will have another conversation with him tonight.
Posted By: PALUNC Re: Henry Atkin lightweight spring opener - 07/07/17 10:09 PM
Mine had a left lock cocking spring break. As you are aware this spring is like a Purdey. Not a easy spring to make. Stephen Hutton made another for me.
I think he retired from making more after mine.
Other than that is is similar weight and I love it better than my Purdey.
If it's this one in Oxfordshire, it looks right:

Compare it to the lock on this Spring Opener from my blog:

OWD
Posted By: Chukarman Re: Henry Atkin lightweight spring opener - 07/08/17 12:31 AM
That's the gun... not too bad for a 90 year old shooter.
Posted By: Owenjj3 Re: Henry Atkin lightweight spring opener - 07/08/17 01:52 AM
You are working with a fine, reputable dealer. I have purchased from him before. I absolutely trust his gunsmith, Alan, who, in fact, is sorting a Boss for me at the moment prior to import. I would Make sure Alan has gone through the gun and tested it. Good luck!
Posted By: Chukarman Re: Henry Atkin lightweight spring opener - 07/08/17 01:53 AM
Thanks.
Posted By: JohnfromUK Re: Henry Atkin lightweight spring opener - 07/08/17 02:21 PM
I have an Atkin spring opener. I spent some time in finding it (I particularly wanted an Atkin). Mine was made in 1911.

A point to note - I handled a number - and they had rather different 'feels' on closure - varying from smooth and easy to really quite hard to close. I did some research.

The problem would appear to be that this action, like the Beesley Purdey (which is near identical) needs to be 'just right' if the closure (which tensions the mainspring which does both the tumbler and self opening) is to be smooth and uniform. If it is not right, the force is not uniform through the travel of closure and the closure action becomes stiff/hard/lumpy. It is (I have been told) very hard to get right once this has been upset. A good one is a joy to use (as Gough Thomas wrote), but there are ones about in states that are not anywhere near what they should be (Gough Thomas described them as 'lumpy' in closure feel).

Try and handle as many as you can (and also Purdeys) so that you become familiar with the 'feel' of that type of self opening action.

I have handled some that I would not have wanted to own/use.
Posted By: Chukarman Re: Henry Atkin lightweight spring opener - 07/08/17 07:16 PM
JohnfromUK -- Thank you for your cautionary comments. I'm afraid I will have to rely on the dealer in this regard. Other guns I have bought sight unseen and imported from the UK to the US have been good guns.
John,
Superb analysis and description of something many folks will never get to see, or, feel. I know exactly of what you are speaking, and could never describe it.

Thank you.

Do you still happen to have the Darne 10? Forgive me if I have the wrong John, it has been some time.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: JohnfromUK Re: Henry Atkin lightweight spring opener - 07/08/17 07:50 PM
There is a good article here https://www.vintageguns.co.uk/articles/462-2/purdey-atkin-sidelocks/
Posted By: JohnfromUK Re: Henry Atkin lightweight spring opener - 07/09/17 07:35 AM
Thanks Ted, the credit for the description should really go to the late Gough Thomas, as it is his words I have (from memory) used.
Forgive the quick 'off topic' which I will keep short, but I do still have my Darne (model V21 and in 12 bore).
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com