doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: billwolfe "Gauge not marked"! - 07/14/17 10:03 PM
I noticed this a while ago, but seeing it today triggered something. Is there anyone on this board who can imagine posting an ad for a shotgun--$3600 for a Darne R10 no less!--and stating in writing that you can't specify the gauge because it's "not marked"? Any wonder there's talk of Cabela's Gun Libraries, reducing operations?
http://www.gunsinternational.com/guns-fo...un_id=100858686
Posted By: GLS Re: "Gauge not marked"! - 07/14/17 11:04 PM
Probably have to get permission from the home office to insert a 12 or 16 gauge shell to see which fits better. Betting it's a 16 at that weight. Genius at work. Gil
Posted By: billwolfe Re: "Gauge not marked"! - 07/14/17 11:11 PM
At 6.25 lbs, my money'd be on 12. Maybe the local management could authorize inserting snap caps?
Posted By: Bob Blair Re: "Gauge not marked"! - 07/15/17 01:15 AM
Hmmm.......I could loan them a bore gauge.
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: "Gauge not marked"! - 07/15/17 02:02 AM
I'd guess it is a 12 also. It seems to be in really beautiful condition.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: Tim Carney Re: "Gauge not marked"! - 07/15/17 02:08 AM
Agree on both 12 and condition. Anyone interested should send a note to tell them how to remove the barrels and check the gauge (while confirming the chambers, too).

Regards, Tim
Posted By: billwolfe Re: "Gauge not marked"! - 07/15/17 02:13 AM
Is the price a bit high for an R10, even in great shape?
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: "Gauge not marked"! - 07/15/17 02:31 AM
Originally Posted By: billwolfe
Is the price a bit high for an R10, even in great shape?

You can say that again. When appraising a Darne R model, START WITH THE TRIGGERS! There are some that simply can't be made better, and if you find a good one that has decent triggers, it is worth more money. While a great fuss is typically made about chambers, a Darne will always have plenty of material in that area of it's barrels, and lengthening them on a hunting implement like an R10 isn't a huge deal. I run the Winchester low noise 2 3/4" loads in my 65mm chamber Halifax with no problems, another option to consider.
Or, you could just buy the right ammunition. Sé vous plais.

Nice as it is, I'd hate to be into that R10 for more than $1500-$1800 or so. Assuming good triggers.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: KY Jon Re: "Gauge not marked"! - 07/15/17 03:39 AM
Would you call the wood on that gun to be understated to the max.?
Posted By: Gary Rennles Re: "Gauge not marked"! - 07/15/17 06:39 AM
The add says that it is a ten gauge.

Posted By: 2-piper Re: "Gauge not marked"! - 07/15/17 11:36 AM
No the Ad itself says it is a Darne type 10 Gauge Not Marked. I would presume this to be an R10. It was placed in the 10 ga category, likely by someone who mis-understood the ad.
Posted By: bbman3 Re: "Gauge not marked"! - 07/15/17 01:15 PM
They had ad while back stating that a double that had firing pin bushing was equipped with three firing pins! Bobby
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: "Gauge not marked"! - 07/15/17 01:31 PM
Originally Posted By: KY Jon
Would you call the wood on that gun to be understated to the max.?

One doesn't usually consider the purchase of a Halifax or R10 based on the excellent lumber attached to the gun. They are the 311s of Europe.
There do exist exceptions, however:

I've had worse wood than that on guns of all types. On a hunting/shooting implement, I'm more concerned that it be free of weird grain in the wrist. Regardless of how the worlds outmost forefitter has this one priced, it is an implement.

R10s are my favorite hunting guns. I have one more R10 to be restocked to my left handed dimensions. With nice wood. AND, it has great triggers.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: Run With The Fox Re: "Gauge not marked"! - 07/15/17 02:56 PM
One of the Cabela's Gun Libraries in MI has offered an Ideal Grade 16 gauge- 28" barrels, DT, Ej-- FWE- rough shape- I have looked it over 3 times, using my choke and chambers gauges- it is a 20, not a 16- think they would have changed the hang tag by now. Stock was shortened for a more youthful shooter than myself, and the previous owner(s) "rode it hard and put it up wet"- ejectors are gummed up, and yet they offered it at $3350 plus 6% tax. What a deal??

Hope when Bass- Pros take over, they bring some sense to the GL pricing and also ID'ing of the guns they are trying to schelp to the unwary--..
Posted By: billwolfe Re: "Gauge not marked"! - 07/15/17 03:03 PM
That's sure the prettiest R10 I've seen! So why would you prefer the R10 in particular for hunting over other R model Darnes?
Posted By: gunman Re: "Gauge not marked"! - 07/15/17 03:10 PM
As proof in France was not compulsory until 1910/20 why should it have any markings ? SO if it was mad prior to compulsory proof it wont have them Its a ten bore ,end of .
Posted By: billwolfe Re: "Gauge not marked"! - 07/15/17 03:17 PM
That Cabela Darne looks like it has the full ribs--top and bottom--rather than the heavily swamped "bande plume". The latter has always appealed to me as offering less concealed area between the barrels for unseen corrosion to occur. I'd also guess that it allows more metal to be carried on the barrel walls for a given weight and balance, maybe part of how Darne and Manufrance managed to build guns that somehow combine light weight, lively balance, and meaty barrels. Anyone have experience/opinions about the full-ribbed Darnes?
Posted By: billwolfe Re: "Gauge not marked"! - 07/15/17 03:25 PM
Originally Posted By: gunman
As proof in France was not compulsory until 1910/20 why should it have any markings ? SO if it was mad prior to compulsory proof it wont have them Its a ten bore ,end of .

http://www.shotguns.se/html/france.html
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: "Gauge not marked"! - 07/15/17 05:23 PM
Originally Posted By: billwolfe
That's sure the prettiest R10 I've seen! So why would you prefer the R10 in particular for hunting over other R model Darnes?

I'm lefthanded, and I prefer not to have a bunch of money in purchase price on a gun I'm going to have to modify to fit me. The R10 above, with the pretty wood, was a back bored trade in back when I was in the business. I think I have $200-$300 total into the wood, restock, and the sling. I was there when the stock was whittled out to fit me.

My hunting would be considered rough hunting, and an extremely valuable gun would be out of place there. R10s are perfect for that.

All my R10s, at the moment, (3, two 12s and a 20) and my Halifax have ribs top and bottom. My V19 has just a raised rib top, and no under rib.
You can keep the V19 very sanitary between the barrels, but, It doesn't have a spot to mount a swivel for a sling. I have a brettele Darne (sling) on that gun.

The guns with both ribs typically have a nice balance forward feel. I actually prefer a swamped rib, but, don't own one at the moment. When Darne shopping, here, in the US, you will likely have to make some compromises to get something you can work with and use. You actually have to do that with most off the shelf guns, but, it can be acute with a Darne.

I measured the back bored R10, I didn't have that work done, but, somebody back in the day did, and it still has .060 minimum wall. It has a pimple bulge also. At the same time, most of the choke was removed from both tubes, I think it is cylinder /improved cylinder now. I have never worried too much about the flaws, as the guys at the factory didn't see anything to worry about, and I have used it pretty hard for the last 23 years.

Lots of pheasants and grouse fell to that gun.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: "Gauge not marked"! - 07/15/17 05:32 PM

Gunman,
When you see a cyanide colored Darne always remember you are looking at a post WWII gun. The process was not used pre war, and positively identifies any gun with that treatment as post WWII.

The compulsory thing about French guns is a moot point. Nobody in France would have purchased guns that were not proofed, so, they all were. Even before it was required by law.

I'd be willing to bet things would have been the same in England, had that been the case.

I promise everyone here, that if this gun had actually been a 10, it would have sold the day the add appeared. I expect the price will remain elevated for some time, guessing that the response from guys who thought they may have a line on a Darne 10 generated for Cabelas.

A ten gauge Darne is right up there with a pie bald unicorn.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: Run With The Fox Re: "Gauge not marked"! - 07/15/17 09:46 PM
Yup- doesn't surprise me one bit. My guess is, the shotgun in question had bushed strikers (firing pins) with three holes in each: the center hole for the striker (firing pin) and the two others set at 180 degrees for the spanner wrench used to remove or install the bushings.
Posted By: bbman3 Re: "Gauge not marked"! - 07/16/17 01:08 AM
Fox you are correct. Bobby
Posted By: gunman Re: "Gauge not marked"! - 07/16/17 06:19 AM
Ted my knowledge of French guns is limited so I bow down to your superior knowledge on this . I have however seen many French made guns with NO original French proof marks .To say no Frenchman would buy an unproofed gun is however a bold statement . I doubt very much if any Frenchman or any other European in the late 1800's or early 1900's even gave proof a thought.
After all many Americans bought US made guns that had no recognised proof marks of any kind .
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: "Gauge not marked"! - 07/16/17 02:40 PM
Ted my knowledge of French guns is limited so I bow down to your superior knowledge on this . I have however seen many French made guns with NO original French proof marks .To say no Frenchman would buy an unproofed gun is however a bold statement . I doubt very much if any Frenchman or any other European in the late 1800's or early 1900's even gave proof a thought.
After all many Americans bought US made guns that had no recognised proof marks of any kind .

Gunman,
Thanks for the compliment, but, I learn new things about French guns, and Darne French guns (which is my real interest) all the time.
I have never seen an actual French gun sans any proof marks. I have seen near perfect copies of European guns of all types that were/are produced in the mid east and asia. They have no proof marks.
I wasn't present when proof was not compulsory in France, of course, but, lean heavily on the research of Lee Kennett when he was studying and writing about proof in Europe. Also, in my collection of gun catalogs, which includes the time period when proof was not obligatory, proof is always mentioned and often has several pages of discussion. I have no doubt the gunmakers considered official proof a sales tool.
I have seen French guns that were submitted for reproof, and that are so marked, as well. There would truly be no reason to do this, if gun buyers were unconcerned about proof.
It is true we have no official proof house in the US, but, the gun manufacturers here can and do their own proof testing. We have extraordinary product liability lawyers and courts that see to it. Truthfully, actual failures of American barrels are, thankfully, a very rare occurance.

Best,
Ted
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com