doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: George L. SENDING MY GUN COLLECTION TO AUCTION - 08/15/17 09:40 PM
For several reasons I am seriously considering sending my collection to auction. It consists of over 100 long guns (mainly SxS sporting guns) 25 pistols and 20 or so edged weapons. Any thoughts as to the best auction house, the appropriate auction fee and who to deal with there would be appreciated.

Best Regards, George
Posted By: PALUNC Re: SENDING MY GUN COLLECTION TO AUCTION - 08/16/17 12:39 AM
Have you looked at local auction houses? If advertised correctly sure would draw lots of people.
Originally Posted By: PALUNC
Have you looked at local auction houses? If advertised correctly sure would draw lots of people.

That was my first thought as well. The danger is that the collection includes a bunch of guns that the local yokels don't recognize and appreciate. I own a small pawn shop and sell guns. My experience is that your average gun shopper has a very limited frame of reference. Go much beyond Remington, Winchester and Ruger and they often don't know what they're looking at. Can you rely on them to drive prices up on an unfamiliar gun maker?
Posted By: Argo44 Re: SENDING MY GUN COLLECTION TO AUCTION - 08/16/17 02:01 AM
George, I know nothing about the classic gun auction scene but when Terry Buffum decided to auction off his EM Reilly's (I followed it because of my research into Reilly) he used this site which appears to have been used by others on this board.

http://www.amoskeagauction.com/index.php
Posted By: ken/kebco Re: SENDING MY GUN COLLECTION TO AUCTION - 08/16/17 02:08 AM
Depends on the maker of your guns. For American made guns I have had good luck & been satisfied with Reddings Auction Service in Gettysburg PA. Last time they charged me 15% (this may depend on what you have, for a collection of junk or Marlin bolt shotguns or Mossburg 500's I am sure they will need more) & have no buyers premium.

They sold my Win 21, serial #2 a few years ago.
Posted By: pamtnman Re: SENDING MY GUN COLLECTION TO AUCTION - 08/16/17 03:01 AM
Amoskeag, Julia's are the best for collectible firearms.
Posted By: CJF Re: SENDING MY GUN COLLECTION TO AUCTION - 08/16/17 04:52 AM
I spoke with the folks from Julia at the Southern Classic. Would feel good about going with them. I'm a little put off by Rock Island's limited photography and multi-item lots, although they will send you additional pictures if you request. Doesn't seem like the way to maximize hammer price.
I was impressed by the way GunRunner Auctions ran the sale of a gun I recently purchased...Geo
Posted By: gold40 Re: SENDING MY GUN COLLECTION TO AUCTION - 08/16/17 12:18 PM

Some of the larger auction houses really only want guns that will sell for $2k or more. They often "group" less expensive guns into a single selling lot to reach that price level.

You might want to consider using two different auctions; one for the "deluxe guns" over $2k, and a smaller local house for the run-of-the-mill lower priced items.

17% to 20% seems to be a standard selling commission.
Posted By: KY Jon Re: SENDING MY GUN COLLECTION TO AUCTION - 08/16/17 12:42 PM
I've used Gunrunner Auctions. Posted about it here last year as a test run of a means to sell off my collection if I died suddenly. If I have months I could dispose of things better but if I die suddenly my family needs to know a fast and easy way to sell my guns and still get decent money out of them. It is easy and painless. But they won't get the most money for many guns. What they will do is sell it quickly and pay you quickly. If top dollar is not your prime consideration auctions are a fast way to sell off. Gunrunner will do everything for you if you want. Pickup, list, sell and send you the money. Nice people to do business with.

They are a good Bubby gun auction site which means 870's , modern guns, low dollar doubles, odd balls, moderate value rifles and pistols. I would not use them for decent British doubles, high condition guns or high grade guns. So perhaps you need to consider dividing your collection along the "good stuff" and the Bubby stuff. This is not meant to be little Gunrunner in any way but different auction houses have different groups of bidders following them. I'm sure it's the same in many places. If you want to find one thing you go to one auction house knowing there is a much better chance they will have what you want.
Posted By: Tim Frazier Re: SENDING MY GUN COLLECTION TO AUCTION - 08/16/17 01:29 PM
I have known Scott Webber of Gunrunner since he was a Beretta Rep. I met him at an event where he was showcasing Beretta's products in the mid 90s if I recall. My FIL and 2 BILs and I were trying them out on clays and he realized we were decent shots. He asked if we would mind shooting to demonstrate the guns and needless to say free shooting left a very positive image in my head of Scott! I live near his Burton Ohio store front and have watched him build the business from a distance. I don't know that his auctions will get you the most money for your guns, but I know they are good people and have been around now for many year. He has sold MANY high end Winchester collections and I would trust him with anything.
Posted By: moses Re: SENDING MY GUN COLLECTION TO AUCTION - 08/16/17 01:45 PM
Why not put some good stuff up on this site ?
Give the membership a fair go at it & not lose so much commission.
O.M
Posted By: pamtnman Re: SENDING MY GUN COLLECTION TO AUCTION - 08/16/17 01:46 PM
Originally Posted By: KY Jon
I've used Gunrunner Auctions. Posted about it here last year as a test run of a means to sell off my collection if I died suddenly. If I have months I could dispose of things better but if I die suddenly my family needs to know a fast and easy way to sell my guns and still get decent money out of them. It is easy and painless. But they won't get the most money for many guns. What they will do is sell it quickly and pay you quickly. If top dollar is not your prime consideration auctions are a fast way to sell off. Gunrunner will do everything for you if you want. Pickup, list, sell and send you the money. Nice people to do business with.

They are a good Bubby gun auction site which means 870's , modern guns, low dollar doubles, odd balls, moderate value rifles and pistols. I would not use them for decent British doubles, high condition guns or high grade guns. So perhaps you need to consider dividing your collection along the "good stuff" and the Bubby stuff. This is not meant to be little Gunrunner in any way but different auction houses have different groups of bidders following them. I'm sure it's the same in many places. If you want to find one thing you go to one auction house knowing there is a much better chance they will have what you want.

Hey, I buy guns, and so do other guys here. Anyone thinking of liquidating their collection can and should go through a group like this where there are no fees, no hoops, before sending them to an auction. You'll get good money in a private sale, maybe even more than from an auction.
PA
Posted By: KY Jon Re: SENDING MY GUN COLLECTION TO AUCTION - 08/16/17 02:44 PM
I used gunrunner as a test to see if I died suddenly if they would be a good way for her to sell off my guns. They are. I could get more selling them other ways but she can't. So I learned they do a good job, handle everything smoothly and paid quickly. But they aren't a great place for mid to high dollar doubles. They just don't attract enough bidders with that interest to drive up prices on those type guns.

And as much as I like this place it would be a poor place for a widow to try to sell guns when she can't answer many basic gun questions. Better to turn it over to a pro or auction house. Gunrunner was fast, honest and got a decent price.
Perhaps sell some on here and some on auction? You would probably realize a better price of you have a little while to dispose of them, it sounds as if the OP isn't (thankfully!!) needing the widow selling route.
Posted By: keith Re: SENDING MY GUN COLLECTION TO AUCTION - 08/17/17 02:38 AM
I got several great deals on double shotguns on Gunrunner before they were so well known. There was little competition in bidding, so a lot of guns tended to go cheap. Not so much anymore, and the new website is painfully slow to navigate compared to the old one.

Auctions are always unpredictable. Local auctioneers can be great places to sell if the auction is scheduled on a nice sunny day when a good crowd can attend, and if the sale is widely advertised. I went to a local estate auction last year that had about 25-30 guns to sell. The auctioneer sold a gun about every 10 lots rather than selling them all together. He knew this would keep much of the crowd from leaving after the guns were sold. Half a dozen common Winchester Model 88 lever actions sold for at least 50% over full blown retail. Most surprising was a Winchester 1895 lever gun in .30-06 which went for an astounding $1750.00. This gun was heavily and poorly buffed and refinished. All it was good for was a shooter, or for internal parts. I left shaking my head, and thinking that I should buy junk guns to resell with this particular auctioneer.
Posted By: Buzz Re: SENDING MY GUN COLLECTION TO AUCTION - 08/17/17 01:04 PM
I put in my will that my guns are to go to Julia's auction for when I don't need them anymore, with the proceeds to be added to my estate. I hope that was a good decision?
Posted By: Chantry Re: SENDING MY GUN COLLECTION TO AUCTION - 08/17/17 02:35 PM
Originally Posted By: George L.
For several reasons I am seriously considering sending my collection to auction. It consists of over 100 long guns (mainly SxS sporting guns) 25 pistols and 20 or so edged weapons. Any thoughts as to the best auction house, the appropriate auction fee and who to deal with there would be appreciated.

Best Regards, George

It really depends on the quality of your collection and what you are trying to sell.
In general James Julia only takes guns that are going to go for $3000 and up.
Rock Island will probably take all of your your guns, but "bundle" some of them into group lots if they don't think a single gun is going to go for at least $1500.
Amoskeag will take everything, but may not get the traffic for higher end stuff that James Julia and Rock Island will.
Poulin is similar to Amoskeag, HOWEVER the same family that runs James Julia runs Poulin.

I would suggest talking to James Julia, they'll probably take everything that they think will sell for $3000 and up and the remainder will be auctioned off by Poulin.

I've bought from both Amoskeag and Poulin and both have very good customer service.
Posted By: tudurgs Re: SENDING MY GUN COLLECTION TO AUCTION - 08/17/17 03:29 PM
My wife knows to consign my stuff with Jaqua's. Low costs, and a knowledgeable national audience
Posted By: moses Re: SENDING MY GUN COLLECTION TO AUCTION - 08/17/17 09:50 PM
You might consider me crazy, but I just like to see the money stay in the shooting & collecting community.
The fair price to the seller & buyer with no middle man getting all the cream at the expense of the gun owners.

My wife deals with sales & purchases, contracts & constructions bigger than a hundred guns, each day.
My few guns will be a hobby for her to sell on the weekend.
However, She says that she is going first & will have my own mess to clean up.
Guns is not all I have, & the other stuff needs a crane truck or tilt tray to move it.
O.M
Posted By: canvasback Re: SENDING MY GUN COLLECTION TO AUCTION - 08/17/17 10:11 PM
I don't intend to die. laugh
Originally Posted By: moses
You might consider me crazy, but I just like to see the money stay in the shooting & collecting community.
The fair price to the seller & buyer with no middle man getting all the cream at the expense of the gun owners.
O.M

Well, all you have to do is click on the link at the bottom of George's posts and it will take you directly to a listing of his guns for sale, some of which, by the way, have been for sale for years. If you see something you are interested in contact him. If he now wants to use an auction to move them all, more power to him.

SRH
Posted By: ed good Re: SENDING MY GUN COLLECTION TO AUCTION - 08/18/17 04:24 AM
with a collection of the size you mention, perhaps it would be wise to first consign a few to several houses...after that experience, you will get a feel for the ones you like for future business...

another approach is to seek out ffls who takes consignments for sale on internet auction sites such as gunbroker...an advantage to this method is the reserve auction... which provides you the opportunity to keep control and to test the market... without risk of selling below retail... which can happen at one shot highest bid wins type auctions...once the market value for an item is revealed via multiple reserve auctions, then you have the option to instruct your agent to sell at no reserve, or return the item to you...
Posted By: ed good Re: SENDING MY GUN COLLECTION TO AUCTION - 08/18/17 04:51 AM
george: you have an interesting and varied collection...
Posted By: 67galaxie Re: SENDING MY GUN COLLECTION TO AUCTION - 08/18/17 05:15 AM
I hope to see the spread posted on here to give us a shot. Seeing them taking game for years would be the ultimate reward
Originally Posted By: 67galaxie
I hope to see the spread posted on here to give us a shot. Seeing them taking game for years would be the ultimate reward

Careful what you ask for Galaxie; George L did just that one time in our for sale forum. Choked the system for weeks...Geo
Originally Posted By: ed good
with a collection of the size you mention, perhaps it would be wise to first consign a few to several houses...after that experience, you will get a feel for the ones you like for future business...

another approach is to seek out ffls who takes consignments for sale on internet auction sites such as gunbroker...an advantage to this method is the reserve auction... which provides you the opportunity to keep control and to test the market... without risk of selling below retail... which can happen at one shot highest bid wins type auctions...once the market value for an item is revealed via multiple reserve auctions, then you have the option to instruct your agent to sell at no reserve, or return the item to you...

Ed you get a lot of flack here, but that was a good post. Just credit where it is due...Geo
Posted By: treblig1958 Re: SENDING MY GUN COLLECTION TO AUCTION - 08/19/17 01:33 AM
Originally Posted By: canvasback

I intend to live forever. So far so good.
Originally Posted By: treblig1958

Always the contrarian...I'm looking...

Posted By: King Brown Re: SENDING MY GUN COLLECTION TO AUCTION - 08/19/17 12:47 PM
Dying is dirty trick. Ignore it.
Posted By: canvasback Re: SENDING MY GUN COLLECTION TO AUCTION - 08/19/17 01:27 PM
Originally Posted By: lonesome roads
Originally Posted By: treblig1958

Always the contrarian...I'm looking...

Never expected to run into Jello Biafra on this site. I think Waylon is more the site's speed. Lol.
Posted By: canvasback Re: SENDING MY GUN COLLECTION TO AUCTION - 08/19/17 01:33 PM
Originally Posted By: King Brown
Dying is dirty trick. Ignore it.

Appears to be working for you, King. Good plan! laugh

BTW, sorry it didn't work out. The Quebec City ramparts and the echoes of the Seven Years War had a greater pull for Gordon than letting Dad indulge his shotgun hobby any more than I already had. Dragged him in and out of a half dozen gun shops. Used up my indulgences by the time we got to NS.

I did find some interesting guns though.
Posted By: George L. Re: SENDING MY GUN COLLECTION TO AUCTION - 08/19/17 08:16 PM
Many Thanks to all who responded to my request. I met with Josh Lowenstiner who represents James Julia yesterday and am seriously considering sending part or all of my collection there.

My reasons for selling now are threefold: 1. I am 78 years young. 2. No one in my family really cares about old guns. and 3. An MOST IMPORTANTLY my daughter, Lisha, is suffering from Stage 5 brain cancer. She has had two surgeries at Duke Medical and will have to have at least one more. Right now she is doing fairly well although she has lost some memory and speech. While I can I would like to be able to take her where she wants to go. She loves to travel. Perhaps dive with Mel Fisher's folks on the Atocha.

Best Regards & Thanks To All, George
Posted By: KY Jon Re: SENDING MY GUN COLLECTION TO AUCTION - 08/19/17 08:33 PM
Hope you get to spend as much time as possible with your daughter. Will add her to our prayer list.
Posted By: skeettx Re: SENDING MY GUN COLLECTION TO AUCTION - 08/19/17 09:16 PM
George, Yes will be praying!
Mike
Posted By: Owenjj3 Re: SENDING MY GUN COLLECTION TO AUCTION - 08/19/17 09:31 PM
George, Sorry to hear about your daughter. I will definitely pray for her as well. I lost a hunting buddy to a brain tumor 2 weeks ago who was also in my Bible study group for 10 years. He was only 47 with two boys, 9 & 13. Enjoy every moment you have with her.
Posted By: Tom Bryant Re: SENDING MY GUN COLLECTION TO AUCTION - 08/19/17 09:36 PM
George, prayers for your daughter.
I know the whole crew at Julia's and Poulins'. They'll treat you right.
My prayers will be offered for Lisha, too. I will be praying first for a complete recovery. But, I also wish you well with your gun sales/auctions. I will be watching them with more than a passing interest.

All my best, SRH
Posted By: canvasback Re: SENDING MY GUN COLLECTION TO AUCTION - 08/20/17 01:24 AM
George, please let me apologize for my flippant first post on this thread. I hope it didn't cause you any pain. I wish for the very best outcome for your daughter and for you and that your time together is memorable.
Posted By: ed good Re: SENDING MY GUN COLLECTION TO AUCTION - 08/20/17 02:02 AM
sorry for your trouble...
Posted By: PeteM Re: SENDING MY GUN COLLECTION TO AUCTION - 08/20/17 04:29 PM
George,

I am not far behind you. My illness from a few years ago has left me unable to chase grouse or bob white. Perhaps with more physical therapy there is some hope. Like you I have 100+ guns sitting here. Simply because of geography, Rock Island will be my 1st choice. They have always been honest and helpful to me as a buyer.

I wish I had the temperance of Mike Peterson. Then I would have tons of files. I do have a ton of Beretta catalogs. Most will go directly to ebay. There some catalogs that I have been fortunate enough to be the tender, will go only here on Double Gun.

Haven't quite decided which guns to keep yet.

On an other note, my wife and I had the great pleasure of spending 2 wonderful evening with Daryl and Ann.

If you have not been to Yellowstone, go soon. I came back with over 1,000 photos of wildlife.

Regards,

Pete
Posted By: crazyquik Re: SENDING MY GUN COLLECTION TO AUCTION - 08/21/17 02:44 AM
Thoughts and prayers with you and your family. Currently have a family member in the hospital as well.

Being in the Carolinas, have you talked to Mid South Guns in Wagram, NC? It's in the middle of no where in a one stoplight town but you drive pretty close to it if you are driving to Durham from the Columbia area.

He buys collections and probably has 300-400 double guns in the store (usually over 100 Parkers, 50 Foxes, etc.). He may be a good option for the selection below the guns Julia takes.

Posted By: George L. Re: SENDING MY GUN COLLECTION TO AUCTION - 08/23/17 09:05 PM
Thanks to all of you great guys for your wisdom, kind words and advice. I am going slow because I want to make the right choice.

Best Regards, George
Posted By: Sub Re: SENDING MY GUN COLLECTION TO AUCTION - 08/24/17 05:26 PM
I see that Amoskeag Auction has an EM Reilly that I am interested in and I see that it came from Terry's collection..Amoskeag was able to provide a little information but it would be nice to know a bit more of it's history..Any and all input would be most appreciative.Serial #17476..Sub
Posted By: Eis Re: SENDING MY GUN COLLECTION TO AUCTION - 08/24/17 09:39 PM
Sub.. What does this have to do with George's thread.

Start a new thread if you want to know about a gun...............
Posted By: Sub Re: SENDING MY GUN COLLECTION TO AUCTION - 08/24/17 10:38 PM
Will do..I thought I saw Terry's name on this thread..Sincere apologies
Posted By: George L. Re: SENDING MY GUN COLLECTION TO AUCTION - 08/26/17 06:58 PM
That's O.K. Sub......I have an E.M.Reilly 4 bore in my collection.

Best Regards, George
Posted By: eightbore Re: SENDING MY GUN COLLECTION TO AUCTION - 08/27/17 09:18 PM
One thing about Phillip, he can write a good check for all of your guns and worry about selling them later.
Posted By: Argo44 Re: SENDING MY GUN COLLECTION TO AUCTION - 08/28/17 12:09 AM
George, this 2010 line below on your 4 bore EM Reilly SN# 15625 was one of the first I read when I started to research my own Reilly:

http://doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=205123&page=15

The amount of grief you took over that gun was amazing and unfortunately typical internet (and also typical of a couple of posters who still are around). At least I hope I was able to help date it more precisely: I recall in the EM Reilly line I dated it as having been numbered in Fall 1868, possibly September or October.

1st Rue Scribe gun................................................................................................ 1st Reilly Martini
Febv1868...............Janv1869..............Janv1870...............Janv1871...............Janv1872.......1872
..15270.............v.....15750.................16250...................16750...................17250..........17644 - (at 500/year).
...............Sep.Oct 1868

Hope things go better for your daughter; That 4 bore is part of your legacy.
Posted By: George L. Re: SENDING MY GUN COLLECTION TO AUCTION - 08/29/17 09:35 PM
Thanks ARGO 44: That is a big help & a little earlier that I expected....Best Regards, George
Posted By: George L. Re: SENDING MY GUN COLLECTION TO AUCTION - 09/18/17 06:40 PM
After much thought I have decided to send my collection to Charlton Hall Auctions in West Columbia, South Carolina. I have done arms appraisals for them over the years and hold them in high regard along with Ronald Long their owner. The auction is scheduled for October 26-29, 2017 and will be on line. Google Charlton Hall Auctions.com

I hope to God that I have not waited too late. The proceeds from the sale were intended to do some things and go some places with my daughter, Lisha who is suffering from Stage 5 brain cancer. She has recently developed an infection in her brain cavity and is hospitalized at Lexington Medical Center
in West Columbia. She cannot speak and has to be restrained. I ask for your prayers and for God's intercession.

Best Regards, George
Posted By: skeettx Re: SENDING MY GUN COLLECTION TO AUCTION - 09/18/17 06:43 PM
George
Done!
May God give His peace
Mike
Posted By: George L. Re: SENDING MY GUN COLLECTION TO AUCTION - 09/18/17 07:08 PM
Thanks Mike......George
Posted By: KY Jon Re: SENDING MY GUN COLLECTION TO AUCTION - 09/18/17 07:30 PM
Will remember her in our church prayers. God bless and comfort you.
Posted By: Owenjj3 Re: SENDING MY GUN COLLECTION TO AUCTION - 09/18/17 07:53 PM
Wow, Absolutely will be praying. Those tumors are so viscous.
Posted By: Argo44 Re: SENDING MY GUN COLLECTION TO AUCTION - 09/19/17 03:05 AM
George, stay strong. God Bless.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com