doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: DES/TSD A Gunmaker leaves the bench - 08/24/17 04:47 AM
Eugene Lawrence (Larry) Peters left on Sunday August 20, 2017 at 5:20 AM. Larry survived Bladder Cancer several years ago. However, it appears as if the Cancer came alive again in his Pancreas at stage 4 and was discovered sometime the first two weeks in August 2017. He was treated via Chemo, sent home on Wednesday 8-16-17, suffered a Stroke on Thursday 8-17-17,rushed back to Sacred Heart Hospital in Spokane, WA. He never left the Sacred Heart Hospital.

He is survived by his mother and brother in Canada. Larry's craftsmanship involved metal, wood, metal finishing, and engraving. He was a member of both Firearms Engravers Guild of America and the American Custom Gunmakers Guild for many years. He was a member of the Odessa Four Square Church in Odessa, WA. He served the community of Odessa in many ways. His life revolved around guns,engraving,hunting,dogs,church, and family.

I first met Larry in Clackamas, OR while working with Kimber of Oregon in 1984. I remember bringing him my first "custom" gunstock for inspection....His words I will never forget..."it is fine for a first try but you have a long way to go for a custom gunstock". I still have that stock to remind me of Larry and the commitment I made to do better work. I and Larry became members of the American Custom Gunmakers Guild. Larry and I talked often to keep up on each other's doings. I will miss our conversations.
Posted By: SDH-MT Re: A Gunmaker leaves the bench - 08/24/17 02:09 PM
Larry left many fine artifacts for future generation to enjoy and appreciate. I worked with him on several projects including a sidelock shotgun and Hagn single shot rifle, both he elaborately and artfully engraved. They can be seen on my website.

Larry was most proud of being accepted into the ACGG as a Metalsmith, Stockmaker, Metal Finisher and Engraver just about covering all the bases. He was an active member of the Guild on the BOD and several committees.

Larry came through Montana several years ago from central Washington riding a relic Honda 350(?) on his way to Cody, WY for an ACGG function. We spent the day repairing his bike so he could continue his trip. That was after his cancer and he was strapped to a catheter bag.
Larry also spent some serious time in New Orleans as a volunteer helping clean-up after Katrina.

Larry was a righteous man driven to create. He never shied from learning new things and he was a dog guy.
May you rest in peace my friend, Larry Peters.
Posted By: DAM16SXS Re: A Gunmaker leaves the bench - 08/24/17 04:35 PM
I wish I had had the honor to know him. RIP Larry.
Posted By: bbman3 Re: A Gunmaker leaves the bench - 08/24/17 05:13 PM
May God Bless His Family. Bobby
Posted By: SamW Re: A Gunmaker leaves the bench - 08/24/17 05:36 PM
Larry was an excellent engraver and gunmaker and an all around good guy and will be missed by the community!
Posted By: Doug Mann Re: A Gunmaker leaves the bench - 08/24/17 06:26 PM
Originally Posted By: SamW
Larry was an excellent engraver and gunmaker and an all around good guy and will be missed by the community!

I can only second Sam on the passing of Larry. Larry, Kenny Majors and I collaborated on the ACGG Remington 1894 Guild auction gun and he was a pleasure to work with and great fun also.

Although Larry did not engrave the 1894 I always admired his "English Scroll" it was fabulous!

I will miss him!

Doug
Posted By: canvasback Re: A Gunmaker leaves the bench - 08/24/17 06:56 PM
Didn't know him at all but I sure wanted to win the custom Remington 1894. That was a gorgeous gun that all who had a hand in its creation shoukd be proud of.
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: A Gunmaker leaves the bench - 08/24/17 09:45 PM
Godspeed, Mr. Peters. I didn't know you, but, I did know your work, and the world is a poorer place without it.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: Nelsons Custom Re: A Gunmaker leaves the bench - 08/26/17 05:03 AM
I worked with Larry on a few projects and on ACGG BOD. Especially I miss our annual 4th of July picnics and long discussions of fine guns. A truly gentle person has left this earthly world and will be sorely missed by many.
Posted By: King Brown Re: A Gunmaker leaves the bench - 08/26/17 04:04 PM
Tributes from those who knew him (or not) provide hope the world isn't going to hell--a gentle, talented person on a bike with a bottle, burning brightly to the end, an example and inspiration for all of us
Posted By: John Roberts Re: A Gunmaker leaves the bench - 08/26/17 06:52 PM
Sounds like a mighty fine man. Rest gently in the bosom of God, Larry Peters.
JR
Posted By: PeteM Re: A Gunmaker leaves the bench - 08/29/17 03:22 AM
Thank you for posting that. I did not know him, but as a bladder cancer survivor I know what he went through. Bladder exams every few months at first, then yearly. My guess is that he had survived several exams before they found the pancreatic cancer. It is supposed to be very painful.

My prayers go out for him and his family.

Pete
Posted By: mc Re: A Gunmaker leaves the bench - 08/29/17 09:02 PM
what a shame Larry was a good guy i used to chat with him at the guild shows.always encourage me to finish a project i was working on, its almost done,
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com